• Half-time show

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's the Super Bowl?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Say what? Because of their drive and determination to win and their experience, they made the necessary adjustments and the Falcons couldn't stop them.
Falcons choked. They were shook and didn't know how to respond to the momentum that New England was playing with.

Has any one person, any one moment been booed louder in Super Bowl history than when Roger Goodell was introduced to the stage to present championship trophy:eek:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Falcons choked. They were shook and didn't know how to respond to the momentum that New England was playing with.
I think we're basically saying the same thing, but you just can't seem to give credit where credit is due. :p

I'm not gonna belabor the point any further, however. I didn't really have a dog in this fight. My team didn't even sniff the playoffs...but at least our QB is opting out. :)

I watched the whole game mostly thru the lens of "that Falcons offensive coordinator is my head coach for the next 6 years".

While it hurt to see him fail to run three times and kick the clinching field goal (instead of giving up the big sack), I'm kind of thinking it will give him an extra fire in the belly to earn redemption with the Niners. He must want to get back to SB soooooo bad. Maybe it's better that he lost, who knows.

Most incredible comeback I've ever seen, and I remember saying to my wife in the 4th quarter "crap, Brady just remembered who he is"... that was right before the last two TD's and conversions.

Falcons peed down their leg.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think we're basically saying the same thing, but you just can't seem to give credit where credit is due. :p

I'm not gonna belabor the point any further, however. I didn't really have a dog in this fight. My team didn't even sniff the playoffs...but at least our QB is opting out. :)
I gave plenty of credit. I can appreciate the greatness we have witnessed. But let's not say that Atlanta didn't play a huge role in this loss too. There is a reason that prior to this loss, the biggest Superbowl deficit to come back and win the game was a mere 10 points, not 21.

What a comeback! I feel for the Falcons and their fans...that had to be heartbreaking. I remember how I felt after the 2002 WCF and also the World Series that same year with the Giants choking that huge lead.

Tom Brady is making a pretty solid case to be the greatest QB, no? I know that's sacrilegious around here in Niners territory, but one could make an argument for him...especially considering he could play quite a bit longer still.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What a comeback! I feel for the Falcons and their fans...that had to be heartbreaking. I remember how I felt after the 2002 WCF and also the World Series that same year with the Giants choking that huge lead.

Tom Brady is making a pretty solid case to be the greatest QB, no? I know that's sacrilegious around here in Niners territory, but one could make an argument for him...especially considering he could play quite a bit longer still.
You mean to tell me that after this win, he hasn't established that yet? I'd say it's a safe bet to cement his legacy for the GOAT. That said, he intends to sign a extension in the offseason, another 2-3 years possibly.

This game was gifted to the Patriots by Falcons coaching and QB incompetence regarding time-mismanagement (loss of timeouts), and horrible play-calling (pass plays that resulted in missed opportunities or turnovers).

Timeouts: The Cardinal rule in NFL football is to protect your timeouts in the 2nd half (EVEN WHEN UP 25 pts!!). Had they followed the rule, they'd of had 2 timeouts with 57s to drive 65 yards for a possible FG try. Instead they muffed it, over-hurrying with Ryan making poor pass decisions resulting in OT.

Play-calling: Late in the 3rd up 16pts the Falcons elect to pass when runs and a simple punt put would eat valuable playtime and give back field position for the defense. The backbreaker, as mentioned by another, though came later around 4 min left in the 2nd and 11 up 8 on the NE 22, QB or Coaching decide to pass the ball when easily in FG position resulting in sack/push out of FG range. They'd made the same erroneous decision twice in the game.

This was a coaching meltdown first and foremost, while Bellichek and company took full advantage. Hard to watch.

Yes, CHOKED, as I mentioned, the Falcons time-management/play-calling I thought was the key reason they lost and failed to protect a large lead. Secondary reason was the usual unable to pressure Brady, and inconsistent secondary.

This SuperBowl reminded me of the Blazers melting down to the Lakers in the 4thQ in 99(?) after having a 19 pt lead in the 4th. Or take in soccer, a team that ahead 4-1 somehow finds a way to lose 5-4. To a lesser degree, with meltdowns, for the Kings I cringingly remember lthem losing to the T-Wolves up 12 pts with 2:08 play during the 2004 playoffs. Don't remember which game (3?) it was, but it was awful - one of the worst playoff memories watching the Kings.

6 months ago I rightly argued with my friend that Joe Montana was the best QB of all time. He got the edge due to dominance over shorter period of time, ushering in a new era of football, and especially the legendary clutch and comeback performances.

Tonight I conceded that Brady has taken that spot. Not just because of number 5 Super Bowl win, but because he executed one of, if not the, greatest comeback in sports history. And, like watching Joe, you knew he as going to do it.

Edge goes to Brady. And we may see another 1 or 2 out of him yet.