Summer League Impressions (other than Kings)

I feel sorry for him and Laker fans.. the league is more profitable when markets like that are solid
I don't feel sorry for them. I hate the Lakers. :)

Lonzo was 2 for 15 FGs and 11 of his FGAs were threes (1-11). That is a unusual stat line to take so many 3s when you aren't making them. Usually when your shot if off you stop shooting or try to get into the paint. But he can't. This was all apparent when scouting him. He does not keep his dribble through defensive pressure. And he lacks that initial burst.

He may shoot it better but this is an ominous debut. Laker fans should be worried.

Last edited:
Siakam of Toronto is another 1st pick from last year that looked very impressive in SL. Very nice handlea for his size and vast array of moves around the rim
Pascal Siakam is a player I really like a lot. He impressed me his rookie year when he played us and got minutes due to JV being out with an injury.

His motor is always in high gear. 7'3 wingspan, 9 foot reach, good defensive lateral footwork. His last season at New Mexico State his usage went up 37% and he finished the season as the NCAA double double leader and 6th best Per.

I am going to keep an eye out for him.

Both also have outspoken family members who spew quotes from the lack-of-self-awareness handbook.
There is a good documentary that shows the Flavian's once taking power during the Jewish uprisings is who is responsible for that early handbook. Smoking guns and even their "signatures" are in twined throughout the stories. Pretty compelling case. Found it fascinating

DSJ had a very good game. 14pts 6asts 7rebs with only 1TO. His 3ball wasn't going in, but he found other ways to score. Chicago was throwing out double teams at him even with Dunn on him. Did not phase him at all.

Markkanen was also very good. 14pts 8rebs 2asts. I'd like to see more plays ran through him in the SL. On the other hand.... Kris Dunn and Cameron Payne were bad.

dude12

Hall of Famer
DSJ had a very good game. 14pts 6asts 7rebs with only 1TO. His 3ball wasn't going in, but he found other ways to score. Chicago was throwing out double teams at him even with Dunn on him. Did not phase him at all.

Markkanen was also very good. 14pts 8rebs 2asts. I'd like to see more plays ran through him in the SL. On the other hand.... Kris Dunn and Cameron Payne were bad.
Yep, watched that game. I thought all along that Markkanen was/is going to be a very good player.

The 2 best PGs from this draft are going to be Fox and Smith Jr.

Goes to show, and it's just a very small sample and its early, that the quality of the current draft is deeeeep. Compare it to the Dunn draft which is turning out to be a very, very weak draft.

Dsj is gonna be good I think, that's why he was in play for me at #5. Will he be a winner though is the big question? Worst case he puts up stats, we'll see if they translate to wins.

Really poor game by Donovan Mitchell. I'm not sure how do you take 26 shots, and get to the line exactly 0 times. Finished the game 8-26. Zach Collins was also bad on offense. Box score says he turned the ball over 6 times, but I think a few of them were poor passes. For what it's worth, he did end up with 7rebs 3blks 2stls and only 3fouls.

I think Portland is going to suffer by not having a PG on the floor.

Lonzo Ball is having a good first half so far vs the Celtics. The guy has great court visions, thats for sure. Should be a fun game vs them on monday.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Jaylen Brown trying to do to much. Tatum is solid again. Ball will need to shoot in the paint. He gets there but passes out 95% of the time

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Ball did a 180 from his first summer league game. All the reports about him being the next Jimmer are greatly exaggerated. He and Fox should have some great battles for the next several years.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
So you can't make rash judgements on the careers of these young men based on one Summer League game?

That mean PapaG still has a shot?
Of course. But with Papa we have a prior summer league, an entire NBA season, and a 2nd summer league game to make a judgment, so it's an apples to oranges comparison. Believe me, if Ball were as bad in his first game for the entire summer league, then his entire first NBA season, then his first summer league game of the following season, I'd be very concerned.

Of course. But with Papa we have a prior summer league, an entire NBA season, and a 2nd summer league game to make a judgment, so it's an apples to oranges comparison. Believe me, if Ball were as bad in his first game for the entire summer league, then his entire first NBA season, then his first summer league game of the following season, I'd be very concerned.
I wouldn't say an "entire NBA season" for Papa. He barely played lol

Ball did a 180 from his first summer league game. All the reports about him being the next Jimmer are greatly exaggerated. He and Fox should have some great battles for the next several years.
Glad to hear it. Ball seems like a nice kid, I want him to be good, just not near as good as Fox.
I watched most of the Kings 1st game then somehow it did not record all the way. I loved what I saw from Fox. I'm also optimistic Justin Jackson will silence my poor opinion of him. The guy seems so laid back that it's hard to believe he can be effective, but some folks just know how to kick back and let the grass grow by itself.
I hope Malachi is OK and bounces back in the next game. I really want him to do well and earn significant playing time as a SF. Buddy made me happy that Bogdan is on his way, and Skall made me happy we signed Zach Randolph, still just one game.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Fultz with what appears to be a bad ankle sprain, stepping on the ball handler's foot trying to block a shot on a chase-down. Couldn't put any weight on it going back to the locker room. Overshadowed a simultaneous elbow to Luwawu's face that had him bleeding profusely. Attrition reigns in Vegas.

So you can't make rash judgements on the careers of these young men based on one Summer League game?

That mean PapaG still has a shot?
Papa doesn't look like like an NBA player right now. Yes he's only 20, but if he were a random player we picked up, he wouldn't make our roster. He needs lots of time in the GLeague. We should've stashed him overseas imo. I'm not really sure what single strength he brings to a team..even in the regular season, he looked like a backup C Doesn't fit in modern NBA at all.