Stupid but obligatory "Are we better without DMC?" thread

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course not.

What they were tonight was much less predictable. How do you gameplan for a Kings team missing Cousins in addition to Temple, Gay & Casspi? Not to mention losing Lawson during this game?

That worked in their favor tonight. That and the Kings shooting well while the Celtics shot poorly - part of that being the Kings effort on defense.

Do I wonder if Boogie's attitude sometimes negatively affects his teammates? Yeah, I do. I think it's why James Harden can lead a winning team without any big names while DMC (who I consider an equal talent) cannot.

But he's the best center in the NBA. The Kings have proven year after year that they are a far worse team without him. Tonight was an aberration but I loved every minute of it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think I'll suggest the mod close her own thread. Its polluting the main forum and making us look dumb. :p
Not gonna close it. I already deleted multiple comments in the game thread about this. Might as well have one specifically labeled "stupid" thread than have people pollute perfectly good threads.

Cousins is my favourite Kings player ever. He's a bit like Webber and a bit like Vlade, but he's his own beast. I want him to be a hall-of-farmer like Charles Barkley and Kareem. I can't see him not getting a ring one day -- I just want it to be with the Kings.

Well, the absurdity of the concept aside, there ARE a few observations to make.

Without Demarcus:
* The paint is clearer, so it is easier for the guards/wing to drive for layups or kickout for threes.

* The team didn't let up when they were up by 10 points. No sloppy play, easing up and playing recklessly. To be honest, this is the biggest difference without Demarcus. I'm convinced the team's attitude and laziness when they get up >10 points comes from him.

* The opponent can't load up on one person, who has such high usage, and get as many turnovers caused by double/triple teams.

* The team simply performed better without him. Players who had tons of chances with him and failed, suddenly looked like better players without Boogie shouldering the burden and spoon-feeding them.
Actually, they shot better when they were contested. The few shots the Kings missed tonight were the most wide-open ones.

Last edited:
No but I hope Cuz was watching, we saw a team dialed in to the game and not worried about anything else but the five guys on the floor. The defense is better though, WCS and Tolliver were doing a great job of covering pick and rolls. Celtics were not getting all the open threes we usually give up because Cousins/Koufos are way too slow.

G

glassman

Not gonna close it. I already deleted multiple comments in the game thread about this. Might as well have one specifically labeled "stupid" thread than have people pollute perfectly good threads.
I object to u calling peoples opinions stupid. Hey.... like it or not ....it's a conversation... that massive article that just dropped on ESPN was about this very topic. U can disagree... but it's a fair point and not stupid.

I would sure as hell not trade cousins... but I've seen enough of cousins or the team rally without him that it's curious if nothing else.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I object to u calling peoples opinions stupid. Hey.... like it or not ....it's a conversation... that massive article that just dropped on ESPN was about this very topic. U can disagree... but it's a fair point and not stupid.

I would sure as hell not trade cousins... but I've seen enough of cousins or the team rally without him that it's curious if nothing else.
I said the thread was stupid but necessary, if only to keep a few people from polluting a whole bunch of other threads.

Last edited:
Obviously Cousins is a talented guy. But after 6+ years of not getting it together, you have to ask why. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Cousins is the only person anywhere close to the team that has been here for the whole 6+ years. So yes I think we are better without him. Especially in the long run.

Cousins may go on to be great. But he needs a kick in the ass. Not a congratulations for being such an ass, here's your 220mil contract. Guess what? Five more years of the same stuff, different year.

Also Cousins is -32 on the year. He has been minus almost every year.

I peeked a IT's stats and the chucker is +108. He has been in the plus every year except his first two. What is it with the blind loyalty to Cousins? The guy is talented but has a lot of liabilities. He refuse to change. Anyone who rubs him the wrong way is gone.

Obviously Cousins is a talented guy. But after 6+ years of not getting it together, you have to ask why. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Cousins is the only person anywhere close to the team that has been here for the whole 6+ years. So yes I think we are better without him. Especially in the long run.

Cousins may go on to be great. But he needs a kick in the ass. Not a congratulations for being such an ass, here's your 220mil contract. Guess what? Five more years of the same stuff, different year.
Okay, this makes me wish there was some kind of virtual world or something where we can remove Demarcus from the equation and see what happens. And no, that doesnt include anything coming back in a trade. You and others have the distinction of thinking were better off without him, period.

Watching this sad sack team without him? Id almost guarantee that any issues Demarcus may have would become completely moot as the lack of talent rears its head.

Of course we are not better without Boogie. However, this team does have enough heart, hustle, and lack of quit that they can occasionally pull off a game like this without Boogie. Expecting them to be able to do this over the course of a full season without Cousins is just foolish.

The Grizzlies made the playoff last year without Gasol and Conley. But yet this team can't be consistent with the Great Demarcus Cousins on the team. Last night they looked great (with all these scrubs some people say we have) without Cousins. I think the team is being held back. I have thought so for at least two years.

Of course we are not better without Boogie. However, this team does have enough heart, hustle, and lack of quit that they can occasionally pull off a game like this without Boogie. Expecting them to be able to do this over the course of a full season without Cousins is just foolish.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Grizzlies made the playoff last year without Gasol and Conley. But yet this team can't be consistent with the Great Demarcus Cousins on the team. Last night they looked great (with all these scrubs some people say we have) without Cousins. I think the team is being held back. I have thought so for at least two years.
They only made the playoffs because the actual good players on the roster had won enough games that when they got injured the collection of randos and castaways were able to tread enough water to still squeeze into the postseason (in which they were promptly blown out of the water by the Spurs thanks to their lack of talent).

Also Cousins is -32 on the year. He has been minus almost every year.

I peeked a IT's stats and the chucker is +108. He has been in the plus every year except his first two. What is it with the blind loyalty to Cousins? The guy is talented but has a lot of liabilities. He refuse to change. Anyone who rubs him the wrong way is gone.
Plus/minus? Really? Anthony Davis is a -24. KAT is a -45. Dame and Whiteside are also in the minus. Obviously those guys are holding back their teams. Surely they wouldn't mind if we took them off their hands, right?

Sure, what Joerger and that D-league Grizzlies squad did was admirable, but what they were doing is slowing the bleeding well enough to make it after all the injuries. They lost 15 of their last 18. Had that been the team from start to finish, there's no way they would have made it. Conley and Gasol still played 50 plus games last year.

And if you have watched the last two years, you would've seen what the team looks like without him. Don't know why you want to point to this one game as proof of something.

Last edited:
Ok point taken. We had Cousins, Gay and Rondo and all our other players and have not come close to the playoffs. Every year is the same with the techs and the attitude and the losing. Every year there is a multitude of excuses made for Cousins. On it goes...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

They only made the playoffs because the actual good players on the roster had won enough games that when they got injured the collection of randos and castaways were able to tread enough water to still squeeze into the postseason (in which they were promptly blown out of the water by the Spurs thanks to their lack of talent).