strange story

Serves him right. What an ***hole. Too bad the shot didn't catch him in the head though. Shooting puppies is like pretending to be handicapped to get into the special olympics. It's just wrong.

How is this any different than taking the animals to have them put to sleep. It's just cheaper. He wasn't beating his dogs, it's not abuse. He was putting them to sleep.

JSin said:
How is this any different than taking the animals to have them put to sleep. It's just cheaper. He wasn't beating his dogs, it's not abuse. He was putting them to sleep.
Putting an dog asleep with a needle is more humane then a .38-caliber revolver. Come on now, we don’t live in a third world country.

BlingBling said:
Putting an dog asleep with a needle is more humane then a .38-caliber revolver. Come on now, we don’t live in a third world country.
Exactly. Only a truly cruel person could have the heart to kill an animal like this. Besides, at an animal shelter there is at least a good chance that they'll be adopted and not have to be put to death.

BlingBling said:
Your going to stab the dog to death with a needle or also find some chemicals to inject in to him. How is it more humane... a shot to the head the dog is dead instantly, with chemicals, who knows... the dog could be suffering. Needless to say, it's not abuse, and if this guy couldn't afford the $40 to have a vet do it and decided to use a 3 cent bullet. Perfectly logical.

RoyalDiva said:
...at an animal shelter there is at least a good chance that they'll be adopted and not have to be put to death.
Do you consider a 25% chance good? I guess it's better than 0, but really.

And I wonder how many of you that are complaining about this guy, most likely because you have dogs... I wonder how many of you adopted them.

JSin said:

And I wonder how many of you that are complaining about this guy, most likely because you have dogs... I wonder how many of you adopted the
m.
I adopted my dog from a shelter with a high kill rate...sure glad nobody shot her.....

Sad either way. I agree the difference in the amount of suffering is probably very small. I don't think I could bring myself to actually pull the trigger on a cute little puppy though. "Putting them to sleep" at an animal shelter sounds so sterile but the end result is the same.

I guess he should have listened to Bob Barker, "Spay or Neuter your animals."

JSin said:
Your going to stab the dog to death with a needle or also find some chemicals to inject in to him. How is it more humane... a shot to the head the dog is dead instantly, with chemicals, who knows... the dog could be suffering. Needless to say, it's not abuse, and if this guy couldn't afford the $40 to have a vet do it and decided to use a 3 cent bullet. Perfectly logical.
He would not have had to pay anything to drop them off at a shelter...you know how many people want puppies...I adopted a 4 year old dog because the puppies were a hot commodity and I wanted to get a dog that had less of a chance.

JSin said:

And I wonder how many of you that are complaining about this guy, most likely because you have dogs... I wonder how many of you adopted them.
My wife adopted a manchester terrier puppy for us a couple years back from Oroville animal shelter. Giving up an animal to an animal shelter is better then pointing a gun at its head while its in your arms.

It doesn't sound like that guy even made an effort. I see people every once in a while with a box of puppies at the local grocery store or somewhere else and people come by all the time to take them home. Puppies are a hot commodity, especially at shelters. It's the older dogs that don't have a chance at adoption.

Shooting 3 puppies that could of got a home is absolutely heathenistic.

JSin said:
I see what you are saying, but the Chemicals causes the animals heart to fully stop with in 10 seconds. There is a good reason why the death by fireing squads are banned and leather injections are not in the states. Plus I've seen dogs and people survive gun shot wounds to the head which means there is always room for error when using a fire arm.

If money was his concerned this guy should have taken these dogs to the pound and state he found them versus firing a gun in public. Second he needs to have his dog spayed if he doesn’t want puppies.
It's common sense.

Last edited:
BlingBling said:
I see what you are saying, but the Chemicals causes the animals heart to fully stop with in 10 seconds.
And then the brain will die in the next couple of minutes... that sounds humane.

There is a good reason why the death by fireing squads are banned and leather injections are not in the states.
What was that good reason? Because people didn't want to see it, people equate blood with inhumane. The best way to die (speaking purely on chance of instant death with no pain) is having your head chopped off, I'd imagine a gunshot would be a close second.

Is it that this guy killed the dogs, would you be just as mad if he has given them a leathal injection, or how how he did it, you would be okay if he had given them a lethal injection?

JSin said:
And then the brain will die in the next couple of minutes... that sounds humane.

What was that good reason? Because people didn't want to see it, people equate blood with inhumane. The best way to die (speaking purely on chance of instant death with no pain) is having your head chopped off, I'd imagine a gunshot would be a close second.

Is it that this guy killed the dogs, would you be just as mad if he has given them a leathal injection, or how how he did it, you would be okay if he had given them a lethal injection?
What living person can really be knowledgable on the best way to die? The pups had a chance to live that was barbaric.

JSin said:
Yes. I would be just as upset as if he gave them a lethal injection. Putting down an old injured animal is one thing and shooting a healthy puppy is another. The point that you are missing is that this guy did not even give the puppies a chance. He didn't take them to the shelter to have a "chance" at adoption. He gave the puppies a 0% chance to live. He held them in his arms, pulled out his gun and pulled the trigger. When you take an animal to the shelter, they get time to be adopted by the public before being put down. That chance, while still minimal, is still considerably better then a bullet to the head in the owners backyard. They aren't simply taken into a back room from the reception area and put to sleep.

monk said:
But it's OK to shoot a racoon in your yard, right?
Not according to me. Just like I don't shoot stray cats, dogs, jackrabbits, etc. that wind up in my yard. You can either fix your fence, or call animal control.

JSin said:

Depends on the animal. Puppies usually do get adopted at shelters, it is the older animals that get death row. I don't own a dog now, but growing up my family always adopted them from the shelter.

RoyalDiva said:
Please. Don't even go there.
Why not? Cattle are killed with a bullet to the head but that's somehow OK. I guess we only need to be humane to animals that we like.

Bottom line is this: People get upset over the killing of puppies because they are cute, loyal, and people like to pretend that they have human characteristics.

Last edited:
C Diddy said:
C'mon Monk, I know you aren't insinuating that because I eat meat that I'm a hypocrite for being against shooting a puppy.
Wait, are you?

:(
Of course not, but I am trying to get at why it's OK to shoot one animal in the head but not another?

Last edited:
monk said:
Of course not, but I am trying to get at why it's OK to shoot one animal in the head but not another?
I guess, to me, what it boils down to is the food aspect of the argument. A cow, chicken, pig is something that we farm for food and it is widely accepted that killing these for sustinance is ok. A puppy, like a kitten or a canary, is considered a pet, a loved one, and a friend. It isn't widely accepted to eat household pets or loved ones.

Also, shooting a cow in the head at the factory is "out of sight, out of mind" so to speak whereas killing a puppy in your backyard hits a bit more close to home.

I'd be interested to hear your stance on the story too, as opposed to just arguing my opinion with you.

C Diddy said:
I guess, to me, what it boils down to is the food aspect of the argument. A cow, chicken, pig is something that we farm for food and it is widely accepted that killing these for sustinance is ok. A puppy, like a kitten or a canary, is considered a pet, a loved one, and a friend. It isn't widely accepted to eat household pets or loved ones.

Also, shooting a cow in the head at the factory is "out of sight, out of mind" so to speak whereas killing a puppy in your backyard hits a bit more close to home.

I'd be interested to hear your stance on the story too, as opposed to just arguing my opinion with you.
I've heard that argument before, which doesn't address it's inhamane-ness, which is the argument against shooting puppies. Inhumane should be inhumane, no matter what we do with the corpse. Eat it or bury it - an animal was shot in the head.

I'm not calling you (or anyone else here) a hypocrite, but I am saying that your position is inconsistant. In my mind, one should be either against the unnecessary killing of all animals, or OK with the killing of any animal (as long as it's done as painlessly as possible). An animal is an animal and I don't think one should be given preferential tratment above others, whatever that standard should be.

And though your out-of-sight, out-of-mind point is honest and likely true, it's not right. If people are getting shot somewhere else, we still care, right?

And my take on the story...

It makes me sad that he had to kill the pups, but I have no problem with the way he did so. I also think it's kind of funny that he shot himself in the wrist doing so. Note that I'm not saying that the puppy shot him, as a puppy is a dumb animal and has no idea what a gun is and it was the mans responsibility to guard the trigger. I think "what adumbass" and I feel sorry for him that he not only shot himself, but he now has to deal with animal creulty charges. What a shmuck.

Last edited:
ILV said:
What living person can really be knowledgable on the best way to die? The pups had a chance to live that was barbaric.
Umm, a person who knows something about how the body works. The brain doesn't have any pain receptors, thus it's impossible to feel pain in your brain.

Fact is, not all puppies are adopted. By killing these 3 he made it possible for 3 others to be adopted. The hypocrisy is troubling, considering the man is being charged with cruelty to animals.

Thinking a dog is somehow "better" than a cow and thus its okay to shoot a cow in the head, but not a dog is like saying white people are better than black people and so its okay to use them for slavery. I mean, I don't have any black people in my family... they aren't "loved ones" to me, right?

I won't even get started on the "out of sight, out of mind" comment...