Steph Curry - Over-rated as unanimous MVP? (split)

When I hear conversation about GOAT,, I hear the names Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Bird, Magic, Wilt. Never Curry.

I hear things like Curry could be one of the greats, but he's never been included in that echelon.

When I hear conversation about GOAT,, I hear the names Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Bird, Magic, Wilt. Never Curry.

I hear things like Curry could be one of the greats, but he's never been included in that echelon.
well half of that is because of how he scores his points - he's a shooter and perimeter player - hes not banging or physically imposing himself which adds to the aura of those listed above. I have no problem with this in any case. He could be up there but time will tell, if he keeps winning championships then it will be hard to argue that he doesn't deserve a place at the table

Curry is the GOAT shooter of all time IMO. He solidified that this year.

He would need to 2-3 more years at this level to be included in the above player conversation. Longevity does matter and if he can only put up 2-3 years of peak numbers then he will not be in that conversation, if its 6+ then he will.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
My point was just that originally you defended "he's overrated" with "some people claim he's the greatest ever, isn't that enough for me to say he's overrated?" If you think he's overrated by the consensus, then no, that's not enough.
I think that both things are true; I still don't see where the conflict is.

Curry is the GOAT shooter of all time IMO. He solidified that this year.

He would need to 2-3 more years at this level to be included in the above player conversation. Longevity does matter and if he can only put up 2-3 years of peak numbers then he will not be in that conversation, if its 6+ then he will.
Im watching curry launch up ridiculous airballs and just plain trash during a game 7. I understand that he can make crazy shots but cmon!!! I never saw larry bird launch up the trash I'm watching curry throw up. In the end curry is gonna do
more damage to the game than he is good for it. Im already seeing young kids throwing up horrible shots so they can look like curry.

Im not being bitter. It's nerve wracking to watch someone run down the court and throw up what amounts to a hail mary. Sometimes it goes in, sometimes its an airball. Is this what the
game is destined to become, both teams running up and down launching 25 footers? Whoever makes more, wins.
Im watching OKC launch 3 after 3. They need a bucket in the worst way and its nothing but 3's. They can't make em and they're just falling further and further behind. It's the curry effect.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Well, I certainly don't live on your "block of the woods." I don't know that I held the majority opinion, but I'll go to the bank with me not being the only one to hold that opinion.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Wait, you brought up Kobe Bryant to defend Stephen Curry, and I'm the bad guy? You couldn't have possibly thought that that comment was going to slide around here.

Hey, I don't like Kobe either.

I just used him as an example as a player who takes bad shots by common NBA standards, but it's a good shot for him because he can make it more than normal.

If you want a better example, how about DMC taking the ball up against 3 defenders in the paint. Bad shot by normal standards, but not for DMC.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Well, I certainly don't live on your "block of the woods." I don't know that I held the majority opinion, but I'll go to the bank with me not being the only one to hold that opinion.
Bring a lot of money. I'm with you. I think Kobe besmirched his reputation by being selfish. I didn't watch a lot of the games but he ignored his team mates and it seemed to me all he wanted to do was pile up points and if he launched outrageous shots, it made no difference to him as one out if 10 of those might go in and would be reflected in what I thought to be a race to catch Kareem.

After this conference finals, you can make the case that Curry wasn't even 2nd best on his team, as Klay took over offensively and Iggy was completely disrupting KD and Westbrook.

Steph Curry has shot .477 from the floor in his career vs. DMC's .460. And that's with Curry shooting 44% of his total field goal attempts from 3 point range! Think about that one for a while....

Come on ,Slim, Curry overrated? Pick another subject to set your heals n the ground about. Also watch the last minutes of game 7. But I agree, Curry doesn't yet get to sit with big boys though he's heading that way.

Steph Curry has shot .477 from the floor in his career vs. DMC's .460. And that's with Curry shooting 44% of his total field goal attempts from 3 point range! Think about that one for a while....
I can't help but question the motives of somebody who brings up Boogie Cousins, unsolicited, in a thread about whether Steph Curry is overrated.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Come on ,Slim, Curry overrated? Pick another subject to set your heals n the ground about. Also watch the last minutes of game 7. But I agree, Curry doesn't yet get to sit with big boys though he's heading that way.
I tell you what: I have never gone into a thread that was set up to be a love-fest for X, just to bash X. If you, or someone else on the board, wants to create a dedicated discussion topic in the #NBA forum to praise Stephen Curry and/or the Golden State Warriors, I give you my word as a United States Sailor that I will stay out of it.

That's the closest thing to "agreeing to disagree," or "picking another subject to set my heals n the ground about" that you can ever hope to expect from me.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
If we're going to go by that metric, why even bother with individual awards, in the first place? Why not just say that whichever players were on the best team ever are the best players ever?