Stein Report on Ty Lawson

Word last night was that it was a family emergency. It doesn't sound good from this article, but I'm going to hold judgement until we hear details.

Well this will either be a non story in three days or Jordan Farmar just got his foot in the door. Cant see any in between, Ty will either be cut if FO feels Farmar is the safer investment or its a misunderstanding/mistake and Lawson stays. The fact that they were in Vegas is a bit worrying in terms of enabling someone with past alcohol problems.

Lawson having a resurgence was one factor I was hoping would help the Kings be a surprise team this year.

I'm hoping this is just a blip.

I was starting to hope Vlade could deal Ben for a late first rounder. Collison, Lawson & Farmar at PG and Afflalo, Temple & Richardson at SG would be a nice rotation.

Now I'm wondering if Lawson will be cut and Farmar & Temple will be the PG tandem for the first 8 games.

That'd be a big blow.

If it is what we all think it is at least it saves the team from being in a bad spot later in the season. Farmar is a professional. Being late to shootaround is a bad sign, but missing a team flight all in same week is pretty bad.

Lawson having a resurgence was one factor I was hoping would help the Kings be a surprise team this year.

I'm hoping this is just a blip.

I was starting to hope Vlade could deal Ben for a late first rounder. Collison, Lawson & Farmar at PG and Afflalo, Temple & Richardson at SG would be a nice rotation.

Now I'm wondering if Lawson will be cut and Farmar & Temple will be the PG tandem for the first 8 games.

That'd be a big blow.

If it's Farmar and Temple, you may see Temple start and Farmar off the bench. The starting unit can cover Temple's lower ball handling skills. Farmar can still handle and push with the bench.

Unreal if he blew his last chance we still have a fighting chance starting out alright with Farmer starting

@Phx
SAS
Minnesota
@ATL
@MIA
@Orlando
@Millwaukee
@Toronto

I still think we go 4-4 wins vs Phx, Minnesota, Orlando, and Milwaukee.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Never been addicted to anything. Think its fundamentally against my personality. But I've always imagined the self loathing it must inspire must equal the contempt it inspires in others.

If this ends up being as bad as it looks, his weakness could have screwed both himself and us, although I think Farmar is competent enough to run this system if that's the score. If he bombs out again due to alcohol, then he's going to be borderline unemployable. Like the coke addicts of old, or even the super-potheads. Because he has talent, maybe in a year, or two years (but not much longer or he'll be yesterday's news), he might be able to get another camp invite if he can offer proof of being in a program somewhere, wants it enough to be back in shape etc. But there's just as much chance with as much as these guys earn today that he would have let a bottle end his basketball career.

Willing to wait on this as Lawson is basically on his last legs here with us to show he's reformed. If it ends up being similar to last seasons troubles, I doubt he gets another opportunity to play elsewhere this season, maybe for the rest of his career.

I don't think it's too big after seeing Farmar in action and Collison only getting 8 games. DC to me is still the starter and Farmar can play. Was hoping for Ty to make it but in the end his breakneck style and need for ball in his hands meant compromising a bit to play here.

If Lawson is cut I think this does enable the FO to more proactively look for a trade partner. Farmar is fine, he can hit the three ball at a good clip and will facilitate the offense well enough, but he is more good for 12-15 min a night than the 28-30 he will likely play if Lawson is gone. We will certainly play through Cuz, Rudy, Afflalo far more now, it was always going to be like that but Lawson does provide playmaking that our other guards dont.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Like everyone else, I'll take a wait and see position. Lawson is a very talented player, and this likely was his last chance to redeem himself, so it would be a shame if he blew it because he can't control his addiction to booze. To be honest, I can't really identify with anyone that's addicted. I've drank my share of beer, I like ice cream, and I smoked for a while. But anytime I discovered something was bad for me, or was endangering my health, I just stopped. And I never had a problem stopping.

That's not to toot my own horn, but to point out that everyone is different. Some people really struggle with addiction to the point where it ends their lives. I feel blessed that I don't have an addictive personality. I hope that Lawson has an acceptable excuse for his absence, but one has to wonder why he couldn't at least make a phone call. I have a bad feeling about this. Anyone that's had a friend or a relative that's been addicted is very familiar with this sort of behavior. I pray the reason for his absence is legit.

dude12

Hall of Famer
It's going to be hard to not keep Farmer simply because he's more stable and also capable. Even if Lawson has a legit reason, this is going to hammer home the point of Ty's unfortunate situation. With not even a call to the team, it doesn't look good for Ty Lawson.

I made this point on the "Joeger culture" thread but feel it's worth mentioning here to but Cleveland waived Tony Douglas to make room for jr smith. Let's get him.

I made this point on the "Joeger culture" thread but feel it's worth mentioning here to but Cleveland waived Tony Douglas to make room for jr smith. Let's get him.
He's known as a good defender, but offense is limited. I'd be on board with that. We really need a backcourt defender that can slow down opposing shooting guards and point guards, instead of getting lit up by the likes of Kemba Walker all the time.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Don't know whether this absence means Lawson if off the wagon or not. Do know that all the responses to the post means that I'm not the only one thinking that there is an ax hovering above the head of the starting point guard of the Kings. He's a high risk proposition.

I recall CD mentioning during the game that Farmar would make the roster guaranteed, which didn't seem likely if Lawson also made the team. I think he (Lawson) is gone unless he has a really solid alibi.
Farmar was always going to make the team with Collison out the first 8 games. There was 0 chance we'd go into the year with Lawson-Temple PG rotation

Maybe he got hot at the craps table and lost track of time....daddy needs a new hookah pipe, err, baby needs a new pair of shoes!

Seriously though, I think the slate was wiped clean when he signed with the Kings. Whether right or wrong, I don't think his past transgressions are going to be held against him. Now if he was floundering in camp, he'd be cut. Unless there are damning extenuating circumstances we don't know about yet, and there very well could be, I see this as a strike one instead of strike three. I would anticipate a fine and stern warning instead of being waived, but would not be shocked if the latter occurs.