State of the Team/Coach - 2/10/16

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
So what happens when we lose to Philly tomorrow?! Do we fire Karl then?

Is this the same as PDA saying Corbin is our coach for the remainder of the season?

This thing will get a lot uglier than it already is. The franchise is seriously testing everyone's patience.
If Vlade's honest assessment is that instability is/has been more detrimental than coaching incompetence given the past decade of the franchise, even if I might disagree in the moment I have to respect that analysis and decision. But that does not mean any of us needs pretend or ignore that we are accepting coaching incompetence as a lesser evil while hoping that in his twilight years of coaching George suddenly decides to change his spots.

If Vlade's honest assessment is that instability is/has been more detrimental than coaching incompetence given the past decade of the franchise, even if I might disagree in the moment I have to respect that analysis and decision. But that does not mean any of us needs pretend or ignore that we are accepting coaching incompetence as a lesser evil while hoping that in his twilight years of coaching George suddenly decides to change his spots.
I get this. Normally I agree and want stability. But when the players are revolting and the coach is floundering, then the correct thing to do is fire the coach. The sooner this organization behaves in a normal way, the sooner we get back to respectability.

As the saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right. Firing Malone last year was the wrong move and destabilized the team. But you don't keep Karl now because you don't want to be looked on negatively due to all the coach firings. Right the ship now and behave like an organization that has a plan and expectations, instead of one that keeps reacting to what is happening to them. Keeping Karl right now is allowing past mistakes of the previous GM to handcuff you. This team has to start a new course.

Last edited:
I think the simple step to right the team's play is to play much better defense as a team, insnide and out. The coaches have the team playing pretty well on offense so now is the time to work on the defense. If that happens then everything starts to get better.

In response to the theme expressed above that things were worse in th early days - tams were worse it's true but none of them had as much talent. They would give us a thrill when they won a game patcularly games in which we were underdogs (which was most f them).

I get this. Normally I agree and want stability. But when the players are revolting and the coach is floundering, then the correct thing to do is fire the coach. The sooner this organization behaves in a normal way, the sooner we get back to respectability.

As the saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right. Firing Malone last year was the wrong move and destabilized the team. But you don't keep Karl now because you don't want to be looked on negatively due to all the coach firings. Right the ship now and behave like an organization that has a plan and expectations, instead of one that keeps reacting to what is happening to them. Keeping Karl right now is allowing past mistakes of the previous GM to handcuff you. This team has to start a new course.
Unless you don't want to reward those who are revolting. You can't let the inmates run the asylum. Both sides have been put on notice. Karl doesn't adapt then fire his ass but fire him for his disobedience not theirs.

Unless you don't want to reward those who are revolting. You can't let the inmates run the asylum. Both sides have been put on notice. Karl doesn't adapt then fire his ass but fire him for his disobedience not theirs.
The warden lost control of the inmates. Can't reward the warden.

The warden lost control of the inmates. Can't reward the warden.
Despite the power play of Karl's agent, I don't believe Karl came away unscathed. The option to can is still there. All he got was a temporary stay. Whether or not Karl gets into step remains to be seen and if not?

This feels like the end of an intimate relationship where you both know it it's coming, but nobody wants to admit it because it's really sad, so you just keep moving forward together and you're not entirely sure why.

It's a doomed relationship, and it's an odd purgatory to be in.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: I split this off from the BREAKING NEWS thread, since it seems like this saga could go on for quite a while and people get tired trying to keep up. At least this way, it'll be easier to follow current comments (I hope).

Someone just called Nate and Jason and said that he believes that the kings are only receiving revenue sharing while we are at Sleep Train and that will stop when we move to the Golden 1.
He said that he believes the new owners of the kings told the NBA that they wouldn't need revenue sharing once they moved in. Does anyone here have any info on this?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Someone just called Nate and Jason and said that he believes that the kings are only receiving revenue sharing while we are at Sleep Train and that will stop when we move to the Golden 1.
He said that he believes the new owners of the kings told the NBA that they wouldn't need revenue sharing once they moved in. Does anyone here have any info on this?
Vivek made a comment when he first bought the team that we wouldn't need revenue sharing with the implication that we were going to be profitable and successful. I seriously doubt if any official document has been sent to the NBA by the Kings stating that they will refuse to accept any of the revenue sharing proceeds. ;)

Vivek made a comment when he first bought the team that we wouldn't need revenue sharing with the implication that we were going to be profitable and successful. I seriously doubt if any official document has been sent to the NBA by the Kings stating that they will refuse to accept any of the revenue sharing proceeds. ;)
I actually thought that was part of viveks agreement when buying the team. If you search that online, there are a number of articles about it

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I actually thought that was part of viveks agreement when buying the team. If you search that online, there are a number of articles about it
There are a number of articles about it, but there is nothing that points to a formal agreement.

Revenue Sharing was one of the topics in the Seattle drama. Seattle said Sacramento was a taker and Seattle would be a giver. I recall something about the owners of the Kings renouncing Revenue Sharing as a concession on keeping the team. There was a question at the time if the league would let them do that but I don't recall that ever being clarified one way or the other.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ANOTHER MOD NOTE: I just split the ongoing and never-ending discussion/debate on Cousins as a superstar into another thread. We really don't need every single thread on the board dissolving into the same argument by the same few folks. Use one of the existing Cousins threads. Thanks.

This whole situation stinks and points to other factors coming into play.

Bruski is suggesting that minority owners prevented the firing from happening. Grant on his show yesterday said that if Kings let Vlade do his job he will get the franchise out of this mess. There are number of accounts out there that suggest that there is a lot more to this situation than what is said publicly. I can't help but think that Vlade wanted to fire Karl but the minority owners kicked up a stink that caused the latest drama.

There is also a calculated push out into the media where Cousins is once again being made as the scapegoat. There are agendas getting pushed here from those ignorant ****wits that think running a franchise is like writing an algorithm.

My latest take on the situation is this:
- Vlade is livid and wanted to fire the coach. He is very much a DeMarcus Cousins guy and genuinely wants to build around him. This is clear as daylight
- Some in the ownership group are seduced by a big name coach that is George Karl. They look at his credentials and think this guy is god's gift to basketball. He won everywhere else so why not in Sacramento. They are not basketball savvy enough to see the shortcomings of his coaching these days. They see what the Warriors are doing and they want the same so are prepared to trade anyone for players that can play in Karl's run and gun system. Doesn't matter that his teams constantly got out in the early rounds of the plays offs. Doesn't matter that the last time he coach any defense was back in the Seattle days.

This is the same logic as the Maloofs displayed when Mavs beat Heat for the championship. Anyone with any basketball savvy realized that Tyson Chandler was the difference on that team and the reason why they won the championship but the dump Maloofs walked away thinking shooting was the difference. JJ Barea, Jason Terry, one legged Peja....those guys were it. Doesn't matter than Chandler made everything click on the defensive end.

I don't know about you but this is a very scary part. Unless these ****wits are put in their place, this franchise will NEVER get out of this constant cycle where we keep falling over our own shoe laces e very time we attempt to take a step.

Kings ownership group, one gigantic FU to you all. Just **** off and let Vlade do his job. Just **** off!

I think that story is much simpler:

Vlade weighted what is beneficial, toss the Karl now or in the summer, and decided the summer is the better time.

Minority owners revolt, Vivek twisting Vlade's arm due to $$$... possible, but first story seems more believable (though less exciting).

The game today will tell the answer about whether team quit on Karl, or they bought on Divac decision.

If Vlade's honest assessment is that instability is/has been more detrimental than coaching incompetence given the past decade of the franchise, even if I might disagree in the moment I have to respect that analysis and decision.
This. I'm glad that Vlade is as decisive as he is, even when I disagree with certain decisions. He someone we can trust, not some guy that you would imagine with a suit and tie on all the time. I'm willing to say that he sees this job as more than just a business. We need that mentality going forward.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think the whole deal about the minority owners having any influence on anything is greatly exaggerated and, quite possibly, planted by a couple of minority owners themselves. Reportedly, none of them were in favor of Malone being fired and yet...

I trust Vlade, and I believe that Vivek has truly given him the authority to make the difficult decisions. Remember, Vlade did not say Karl was going to be our coach forever. He just said he's our coach right now and they're going to work on the issues.

I'm watching Karl and his pre-game and he's still dancing around the truth. It's not that HE has to work on better defense, etc. It's that "the coaches" have to work on it. I'm beyond done with him.