Sportsline: Top 10 Point Guards

jason kidd sghould be bewteen 8-10 since his knee injury! Mike Bibby should be bewteen 5-6 not 8 and allen Iverson 2!He should be 4 or 5. His shooting percentage, horrible.......... same with Baron Davis.

There are a lot of things that i don't agree with i the rankings.
As already mentioned, Bibby should definitely higher. The thing abt being unpredictable at bigger games, that's the weirdest thing I have heard anyone say, especially after what Bibby did once again this post season. Is this guy even watching the NBA or is he from another planet :mad:

Also he says that Iverson will be playing his first season at PG and he is already at #2, without proving anything.

And Kidd has to come down with his dismal performance against the Pistons and a question mark on his knee.

most of the list seems inappropriate to me

G

Garliguy

I've been watching the NBA since before the Bird and Magic days, and I don't ever recall a period when the point guards have been so lame.

Stevie Francis is the durable point guard version of Webber -- he acquires his stats at the expense of his team, and he values flash over substance. Get him off of that list!

The 10

1. Jason Kidd, New Jersey Nets: He is 31 and his knee is a problem, but he's still the best at running an offense and his teammates love him.

2. Allen Iverson, Philadelphia 76ers: This will be the most interesting season for the most exciting guard in the league to prove he can run an offense.

3. Baron Davis, New Orleans Hornets: He is so gifted, and potentially better than any of these guys, but he's just too selfish too often.

4. Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons: When Joe Dumars signed him as a free agent, he saw a lot of himself in Billups. This season we'll find out.

5. Sam Cassell, Minnesota Timberwolves: Last season will be a tough act for him to follow, but if he does, the Timberwolves have a great shot to win the West.

6. Stephon Marbury, New York Knicks: Isiah Thomas invested the future of the Knicks and his own credibility in Marbury. Will he step up this year?

7. Steve Francis, Orlando Magic: It's impossible to know how getting traded will affect Francis, but he certainly has a lot to learn about running a team.

8. Mike Bibby, Sacramento Kings: Some might believe he should be higher in this ranking, but defensive shortcomings and unpredictability in big games linger.

9. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs: He could end up being the best of this group with his quickness and all-around ability, but only if he improves.

10. Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns: It appears age is catching up to him considering how he has tired the past couple of seasons. We'll see what he has left.

Unpredictability in big games? Wow. Ask Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher about that. I'm not too sure they'd agree.

I can't even begin to start ripping this list apart and rebuilding it. Don't have the time right now.

Put it this way: two of the top five are over 30 and coming off of injuries, and the other three are combo guards with low shooting percentages.

Superman said:
Put it this way: two of the top five are over 30 and coming off of injuries, and the other three are combo guards with low shooting percentages.
The scary thing is that, for the most part, the only question about this list is the order.

Sure, I agree with those. But if you look at the group as a whole, top 10 through honorable mention, the PG crop is just shaky throughout. An awful lot of guys that are not real PG's, or on the downside, or both.

Baron Davis - WAY TOO HIGH!!!
Stephon Marbury - WAY, WAY, WAY TOO HIGH!!!!!
Steve Francis - A LITTLE TOO HIGH !

Mike Bibby - MUCH TOO LOW!!! I think that Bibby is at #3, #4 at worst.

Parker and Nash too low as well.

I don't get how a player that played better than the year before actually went down based on "unpredictability in big games"

The year before:
Mike Kahn said:
7. Mike Bibby, Sacramento Kings: He's coming off a rough season marred by a broken foot that never let him get back into the swing of things. A great shooter and distributor, he'll prove his worth this season

You guys don't remember this is the same writer who excluded AK47 from his top 15 SF list AND put Jamaal Magloire, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Erick Dampier over BIG BEN on top center list.

Break me a break. Mike Kahn never watch a NBA game.

revised list

I know everyone does this...

1. Jason Kidd
2. Allen Iverson
3. Chauncey Billups
4. Sam Cassell
5. Mike Bibby
6. Steve Nash
7. Tony Parker
8. Baron Davis
9. Stephon Marbury
10. Andre Miller

The selfishness of Davis, Marbury, and Francis make them low or off of my list. Kidd, even after his surgery has the best court vision in the league.

1) Baron Davis
2) Mike Bibby
3) Sam Cassell (past injury puts him below Bibby)
4) Tony Parker
5) Jason Kidd
6) Chauncey Billups
7) Steve Nash
8) Stephon Marbury
9) Jason Williams
10) Steve Francis

Honorable mention: Andre Miller, Carlos Arroyo, Dwayne Wayde, Eric Snow and Bobby Jackson.

AI does not belong on this list

Last edited:
Elise10 said:
1. Jason Kidd, New Jersey Nets: He is 31 and his knee is a problem, but he's still the best at running an offense and his teammates love him.

2. Allen Iverson, Philadelphia 76ers: This will be the most interesting season for the most exciting guard in the league to prove he can run an offense.

3. Baron Davis, New Orleans Hornets: He is so gifted, and potentially better than any of these guys, but he's just too selfish too often.

4. Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons: When Joe Dumars signed him as a free agent, he saw a lot of himself in Billups. This season we'll find out.

5. Sam Cassell, Minnesota Timberwolves: Last season will be a tough act for him to follow, but if he does, the Timberwolves have a great shot to win the West.

6. Stephon Marbury, New York Knicks: Isiah Thomas invested the future of the Knicks and his own credibility in Marbury. Will he step up this year?

7. Steve Francis, Orlando Magic: It's impossible to know how getting traded will affect Francis, but he certainly has a lot to learn about running a team.

8. Mike Bibby, Sacramento Kings: Some might believe he should be higher in this ranking, but defensive shortcomings and unpredictability in big games linger.

9. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs: He could end up being the best of this group with his quickness and all-around ability, but only if he improves.

10. Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns: It appears age is catching up to him considering how he has tired the past couple of seasons. We'll see what he has left.
What a joke.......

KingKong's list is pretty much mine.

Superman said:
Cassell is fifth.
For this year's list's he is fifth.....last year he was an honorable mention.

Last year's list:
1. Jason Kidd, New Jersey Nets: With two consecutive East titles in his pocket, he's setting the pace. But his ankle problems could become chronic now that he has hit 30. Nonetheless, he's the best for now.

2. Stephon Marbury, Phoenix Suns: There is no better point off the dribble than Marbury, who seems to growing as a leader. He's stronger and finally figuring out what it takes to be a star instead of posing as one.

3. Gary Payton, Los Angeles Lakers: This is a slight drop for The Glove, but he's 35. Nevertheless, once he gets a sniff of championship fever with the Lakers, he will be relentless on both ends. Guaranteed.

4. Steve Francis, Houston Rockets: A younger, perhaps stronger version of Marbury, he hasn't figured out yet what it means to make his teammates better. But for pure talent, the guy is off the charts.

5. Baron Davis, New Orleans Hornets: Coming off back and knee problems, Davis could be third best on this list, or he could drop to 10th. This is a pivotal year for him to prove he belongs among the best.

6. Steve Nash, Dallas Mavericks: It will be interesting to see how far Nash can take the team this season without Nick Van Exel to clean up after him. He's a talented leader and a relentless player, that's for sure.

7. Mike Bibby, Sacramento Kings: He's coming off a rough season marred by a broken foot that never let him get back into the swing of things. A great shooter and distributor, he'll prove his worth this season.

8. Nick Van Exel, Golden State Warriors: Warriors fans may discover him to be a lefty version of Tim Hardaway if he's into it. He's as quick and slick with the ball and the shot as any point guard in the game -- but erratic.

9. Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons: He was on his way to being the story of the East until a sprained ankle ended his and the Pistons' hopes of beating the Nets in the conference finals. He's on the brink of being special.

10. Gilbert Arenas, Washington Wizards: One of the few big free-agent signings this summer, Arenas promised a trip to the playoffs for the wayward Wizards. Gee, you'd hate to see empty promises start this soon.

Also under consideration: Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets; Sam Cassell, Minnesota Timberwolves; Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs; Jason Williams, Memphis Grizzlies; Jason Terry, Atlanta Hawks; Brent Barry, Seattle SuperSonics; Eric Snow, Philadelphia 76ers.

I still wonder what is so special about Stephon Marbury? He may have had the high assist numbers last year but he's still a mediocre PG at best.

Superman said:
I'd put Andre Miller and Dwayne Wade on this list before Steve Francis.
me too!

but anyways i was gonna say....if anything Bibby should be before Steve and Stephon...if you agree Steve should even be on the list...i sorta have a problem with BD being the top 3...now i love em and all he's a great point guard...but it just doesn't sit well with me him being in the top 3....Cassell and TP i think deserve being on the list this year...and their rankings are pretty accurate to me anyway