Some things never change...

Well, we have had a horrendous 10 years people. 10 years. This isn't surprising and some of it is deserved. Throughout these 10 years, we have largely been our own worst enemy (intended or not). This was never a 1 or 2 year fix. Cleaning out this much garbage takes a whole lot of time. However, you can't deny things look and feel a whole lot better now than even 1-2 months ago. The people who wrote this are sticking to talking points that have followed the Kings for years. Some of it may be true, some deserved, but the only way to shut these people up is to be a good team and make the playoffs (maybe even make some serious noise in the playoffs). There's really no other way to do it. We have to win and articles like these will slip away into oblivion.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Engelmann: Fiction. Joerger cannot be blamed for the Grizzlies' early playoff exit, but according to my coach metric, he's one of the three worst currently employed coaches in the NBA in the past 16 years. Also, I can't imagine Catanella having a significant impact on personnel decisions with Divac still there.
Ok, who the heck is this Engelmann guy and what is his metric? Three worst currently employed coaches in the NBA in the past 16 years?

We know winning percentage isn't one of them.

Well, we have had a horrendous 10 years people. 10 years. This isn't surprising and some of it is deserved. Throughout these 10 years, we have largely been our own worst enemy (intended or not). This was never a 1 or 2 year fix. Cleaning out this much garbage takes a whole lot of time. However, you can't deny things look and feel a whole lot better now than even 1-2 months ago. The people who wrote this are sticking to talking points that have followed the Kings for years. Some of it may be true, some deserved, but the only way to shut these people up is to be a good team and make the playoffs (maybe even make some serious noise in the playoffs). There's really no other way to do it. We have to win and articles like these will slip away into oblivion.
David Thorpe thinks Vlade hired Karl. SMH.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Who the heck cares? Seriously...
After finishing that drivel, I'd say you're probably right about just disabling the link, but I'm still curious about this metric. Mainly so I can work on my thesis about "metrics" being complete and utter BS.

On a similar note, I had a huge laugh when I saw the local Sunday paper and Voisin was acting like the coaching situation was a toss up between Sam Mitchell and Mike Woodson. Clearly, she's plugged in.

As for the article, Thorpe is all about his training camp and his opinion of players tends to be based on whether they go to or plug his summer camp.

Come on folks, what is so outrageous about the opinions in this article? Basically, no one is willing to commit to Sac turning around this year, but who can blame them? They all pretty much agreed that the Kings could make the playoffs with the talent on the roster but won't bet on it due to our history. Lots of NBA fans, talking heads and surely plenty of executives think we should trade Cousins.

I don't think it's fair to just bash every "talking head" opinion just because it doesn't line up with the board. We are the outlier opinion and believe it or not, we aren't always right.

Anyway, I love the Joerger signing and I feel like we actually have some structure in place. Our widdle owner has simma down na, Vlade is proving his leadership and we got a great young coach. Fix the defense, find shooters and change the culture and lets win some games this year.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A little information on Engelman's oh so advanced "metric":

1) basically it measures how guys performed at prior stops, and then compares how they performed for the coach being measured. Avg 15pts on 50% shooting for coach #1, and 12pts on 38% shooting for coach #2, and the metric says coach #2 is a turd.

2) and a quote:
Of course there are limitations to this analysis. It does not take aging into effect so, as Engelmann noted in an email, Scott Brooks will be credited with the natural improvement of Durant, Westbrook and the rest of the young Thunder players while John Kuester was negatively impacted by the demise of the Pistons.

Similarly a coach who got Shaq the last few years may be unfairly punished while Jackson will get more credit than he deserves just for coaching The Big Diesel during his prime.
So in other words, Joerger gets penalized for inheriting an aging team and coaching 36yr old Zach rather than 26yr old Zach.

Another triumph for the wonderful world of "metrics."