Some Stats, 30 games in: Impact of players on TEAM Ball sharing, Rebounding and Shooting

Hi everyone!

Below are some specific On/Off Court advanced stats I gathered (from this page on Stats.nba.com)
to try and see how various Kings' players are effecting our Ball Sharing and Rebounding
(two major weaknesses of our team, IMHO).

I wasn't sure which of 2 the Ball-Sharing stats (AST% or AST RATIO) was more appropriate,
so I put them both in...

At the last minute I decided to add EFG%, in hope it will account for shot selection, mostly.

I'm not sure my methodology is well executed...
If it's not - by all means, please help me correct it. :)

Please note:
  1. These are all TEAM PERFORMANCE stats, not individual ones! They DO NOT show how any certain player contributed to the team in his time on court, ONLY the impact that a player had on the team's performance (by means of overall synergy).
  2. The data is pace-adjusted
  3. Sample sizes issues: First, I only included players who played at least 10 games (hence, no Skal, Papa, Malachi & Farmar). Of the remaining 12 below, some are still lacking in sample size - (a) On/Off Court samples are quite lopsided when it comes to WCS, Tolliver & Casspi, as they were ON-court just a little more than 300 minutes apiece, and OFF-court - 4 times that... (B-Mac's samples are a bit lopsided too). (b) DMC has the same problem, but in the opposite direction - he was only OFF-court for about 400 mins, and ON-court 3 times that...
HERE GOES...

upload_2016-12-25_12-25-46.png

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Great stuff. SMH at Ben's numbers he's just not an NBA talent.
I am not mathematically illiterate but this stuff loses me and I do not have the energy to try to understand it. Bravo, Ron, on all the energy it took to do this! I don't know what stats say that Ben is not an NBA player but, given I would trade him to anybody who valued him higher than us. He fits the team even if he disappears. He has improved at the slowest rates imaginable but he is improving. What will he be like at age 30? Will he be a Temple? I doubt it but he seems a bit like GT. I will not shed tears if he is gone or if he stays.

I am not mathematically illiterate but this stuff loses me and I do not have the energy to try to understand it. Bravo, Ron, on all the energy it took to do this! I don't know what stats say that Ben is not an NBA player but, given I would trade him to anybody who valued him higher than us. He fits the team even if he disappears. He has improved at the slowest rates imaginable but he is improving. What will he be like at age 30? Will he be a Temple? I doubt it but he seems a bit like GT. I will not shed tears if he is gone or if he stays.
Sorry for the messy presentation... :)

Well, it doesn't say anything deep or surprising... ;) (nor conclusive, either...)

Basically, Ball moves better (more assisting) with Barnes, Casspi, Temple, Tolliver & Cousins in the mix.
It moves worse with Gay, Afflalo, KK, and (surprise there)... Lawson.

Boards are more abundant with KK, DMC (makes sense so far), Rudy and... Ben! o_O
We seriously bleed rebounds, OTOH, with WCS :(, but also with Barnes, Tolliver and Afflalo.

We shoot at a higher, more efficient, precentage when Boogie and Temple are on court, :cool:
...and we tend to shoot more poorly with Rudy, WCS, KK, Barnes and Lawson in there.

No earth-breaking news anywhere... :D

Bottom line - assuming these stats are valid:
If we're looking to get more balls (rebs) AND share them more willingly (assts), we should try (in addition to a lot of Boogie) more Omri and Garret on court.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Sorry for the messy presentation... :)

Well, it doesn't say anything deep or surprising... ;) (nor conclusive, either...)

Basically, Ball moves better (more assisting) with Barnes, Casspi, Temple, Tolliver & Cousins in the mix.
It moves worse with Gay, Aflallo, KK, and (surprise there)... Lawson.

Boards are more abundant with KK, DMC (makes sense so far), Rudy and... Ben! o_O
We seriously bleed rebounds, OTOH, with WCS :(, but also with Barnes, Tolliver and Aflallo.
That's interesting. One year and done with Afflalo and that gives us a generous amount of cap space depending on what happens with Rudy (like trade). I think Vlade is showing or perhaps exposing the fact that if you surround Boogie with guys who know their job, not necessarily stars, the team will be OK. Rookies are a distraction.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's interesting. One year and done with Afflalo and that gives us a generous amount of cap space depending on what happens with Rudy (like trade). I think Vlade is showing or perhaps exposing the fact that if you surround Boogie with guys who know their job, not necessarily stars, the team will be OK. Rookies are a distraction.
Outside of maybe Richardson in limited minutes the Kings rookies are not ready to contribute and the only type of team that would give them extended minutes is one okay with the trade off of developing young talent at the expense of wins.

As a whole that's true of most of this current draft class. Not a lot of instant impact but a team like the Suns can play (and even start) a kid like Marquese Chriss because they have no playoff aspirations this season and want to see if he'll turn into something for them.

If the Kings decide to trade Cousins and rebuild I'd expect the same thing - lots of PT for Skal, Malachi and Georgios.

But as long as the Kings are trying to win I'm fully onboard with what Coach Joerger is doing. They should only see the court if they are either pressed into action (due to injuries, foul trouble etc) or if they earn it by being the best option.

That's how a winning team develops rookies. We'll see if that's the right strategy.

Bottom line - assuming these stats are valid, if we're looking to get more balls (rebs) AND share them more willingly (assts), we should try (in addition to a lot of Boogie) more Omri and Garret, and less Ty and Aaron.
Alternative bottom line: Send WCS to the D-League and don't bring him back until he averages 10 boards per 36 min. A "big" that can't do that in the D-League has no future in the NBA.