Smith or Fox? (poll added)

If they're both available, who do you take?

• Total voters

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I would like nothing more to be excited about the possibility of us drafting Smith Jr. This would allow other teams to pick Smith/Ntilikina and we'd still have another point guard to pick.
So if you can convince I'm all in :p But I'm not there yet.

A big part of scouting for me has always been looking for process over results. If a guy is in a terrible situation he could still be very good somewhere else. So the fact that his team hasnt made it to the tournament isnt damning per se. But oh boy do I have a tough time watching tape of him and NC State. It's not even the defensive effort. I could talk myself into Joerger getting that out of him. But watching him run their offense is just brutal. He'll dribble it up the court slowly, stop the ball to think, wave a guy off, wave another guy to him, set up a pick and roll and turn it over trying to go by two defenders. Almost never do I have the feeling that he controls the tempo of the game or even the offense of his own team like guys like Fox or Ball can. I have a tough time figuring out if that is because he has no clue how to run an NBA offense or because of the situation at NC State and their coaching problems. I even tried to find tape of him playing USA basketball to see how he looked there but I wasnt able to. So when you say you wouldn't be mad after the other guys are gone, you still think that he will be a good NBA point guard? Because that's what I'm trying to find out right now.
I have tried all year to fall in love with Smith, but I can't, and for some of the reasons you posted. His defense at times was non=existent. There were times when he didn't even get into a defensive stance. Instead he stood there with his hands on his hips watching. There were times when he would explode past the defense to the basket and make it look easy, and then there were times when he just seemed bored and going through the motions. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get excited about him. To the contrary, the idea of drafting him scares me. Anyway, enough about him. I'm hoping that somehow Fox falls to us. If not, I'm willing to gamble on Ntilikina.