Small Forwards the Kings

When we traded Boogie it signaled a full rebuild so veterans shouldn't be part of the equation. So the 3 should be either a draft pick or someone young and cheap.

If all goes to plan, the Kings should be able to pick a PG and a SF in the draft. I'm all for best player available, but this draft seems to be PG and SF heavy at the top.

Until then, I think Temple is ok as a veteran stopgap SF. Not ideal size, but, according to basketball-reference at least, he's been playing there more than 40% of the time already: http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/IaXWy

And yes, there is the question of Rudy Gay. Two questions, actually: 1) does he opt in? and 2) does the DMC trade change management's desire to retain him or not?

When next season begins who defends Lebron, Durant, Kawhi, PG, Melo, Hayward, The Greek Freak, Batum, Wiggins and Crowder? That list takes any of the SG's the Kings may play at the SF spot to school.

When next season begins who defends Lebron, Durant, Kawhi, PG, Melo, Hayward, The Greek Freak, Batum, Wiggins and Crowder? That list takes any of the SG's the Kings may play at the SF spot to school.
That list takes the rest of the NBA to school.

We definitely need an upgrade. It's slim pickings in FA so the draft and trades are our best bet. If we can manage 2 lottery picks this year I'm hoping for a SF and PG to develop while using some experience to bridge that time.

I think there's a good chance Isaiah Cousins is on the Kings roster next year along which could create flexibility for vlade on draft night. Its decision making time, if the 8th spot seems unlikely it's time to pull the plug that means playing the youngsters extended mins. I would like to draft a Kentucky guard and a SF like Jayson Tatum could fit the bill.

I think there's a good chance Isaiah Cousins is on the Kings roster next year along which could create flexibility for vlade on draft night. Its decision making time, if the 8th spot seems unlikely it's time to pull the plug that means playing the youngsters extended mins. I would like to draft a Kentucky guard and a SF like Jayson Tatum could fit the bill.
Is next year the year where the rules change and the teams can have up to eighteen players with at least the last three designated for the D-league?

I don't think Rudy comes back.. He seems like his hearts set on a new start even with Cousins gone.. I think we go to the draft for a PG and SF and get some vet help at SF in free agency.

On a side note, I wouldn't mind getting Z-Bo here next year as a vet. He's matured heaps, knows Joergers offense and could be a good gap filler for 2-3 seasons while we wait for Skal to develop and take over.

Thoughts?

Kings will probably draft a PG and a SF. I suspect the SF will come first so I would think that someone like Tatum if Kings continue to suck is on the radar as he is a scoring SF with good size and reasonably polished offensive game.

I would expect that Temple will play some SF as well which he has done both for Kings and Wizards in recent years.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the Kings will find one in the draft.

6'10 210lb SF Jonathan Isaac
6'8 210lb SF Jayson Tatum
6'7 220lb SF Miles Bridges

Let's hope we can get 2 top 10 picks.
What happened to Josh Jackson, or did you think we have no chance at him? If the New Orleans pick turns out to be later in the first round, I'd take a look at Dillon Brooks, or O.G. Anunoby, even though he went down with a knee injury. If he were to slide to the top of the 2nd round, I'd grab him in a heartbeat. Another player I really like, and I normally shy away from Baylor players, but Motley has been impressive this year. Unfortunately I think he's more of a PF than a SF.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kings will probably draft a PG and a SF. I suspect the SF will come first so I would think that someone like Tatum if Kings continue to suck is on the radar as he is a scoring SF with good size and reasonably polished offensive game.

I would expect that Temple will play some SF as well which he has done both for Kings and Wizards in recent years.
Well if we could walk away from this draft with Tatum, I'd be a happy man. His three point shot has really improved since the season began. He defends, he can put the ball on the floor, and he rebounds. Tatum has star potential. Doesn't mean he'll be one, but he has all the tools. And he has an NBA body.

What happened to Josh Jackson, or did you think we have no chance at him? If the New Orleans pick turns out to be later in the first round, I'd take a look at Dillon Brooks, or O.G. Anunoby, even though he went down with a knee injury. If he were to slide to the top of the 2nd round, I'd grab him in a heartbeat. Another player I really like, and I normally shy away from Baylor players, but Motley has been impressive this year. Unfortunately I think he's more of a PF than a SF.
lol yeah, didn't list Josh Jackson because I don't think we have a shot at him. He's the 2nd best player in the draft for me. I think he goes top 3, or top 5.

Well if we could walk away from this draft with Tatum, I'd be a happy man. His three point shot has really improved since the season began. He defends, he can put the ball on the floor, and he rebounds. Tatum has star potential. Doesn't mean he'll be one, but he has all the tools. And he has an NBA body.
The way things are going right now there is a real shot of us being in prime position to take Tatum. I'm assuming that we bottom out between out with the 8th-9th pick in the draft. The teams that will most likely finish beneath us are the Nets (Celtics), Suns, Lakers, Magic, 76ers, Wolves, Mavs, and possibly the Knicks Barring any major changes, the top 3 of Fultz, Ball, and Jackson seem set in stone based on all the mock drafts. After that it is more of a crap shoot, but if every team ahead of us drafts for need/best fit then I see it playing out something like this:

4) Magic - Will either go PG or SF. Dennis Smith seems like the best player available, but I could see them considering Isaac or Tatum. Smith right now has all of the tools necessary to be a game changer at the position and with the importance on the position in today's game I could see them deciding to start there.
5) 76ers - Malik Monk. Monk is going to be the pick for the 6ers. They need help at both guard positions, but Ben Simmons has way better court vision/passing ability than both Smith or Fox so they won't prioritize either. This is a shoe in.
6) Wolves- This is the pick that I see getting traded. The Wolves have everything they need except a defensive presence in the middle. I could see them swapping down for picks and nabbing Robert Williams. But if they keep the pick they will most likely go BPA which is Jonathan Isaac.
7) Mavs- DeAron Fox. Like the 76ers, this is a no brainer. Yogi Ferrell has looked good, but his upside is pretty limited. Outside of him their options are Devin Harris or JJ Barea. He'll be a Mav if he's there.
8) Kings - Tatum. No question. He 100% SHOULD be our pick. But knowing Vlade, there is a chance we could completely botch this and take Isaiah Hartenstein from Germany. Hopefully Vlade has learned his lesson from the constant backlash and finally decides to make a smart and safe move and take the BPA and Best fit player which is Tatum .
8) Knicks - Tough call. This team needs everything besides a PF. I could see them avoiding a SF if Anthony is still on the roster. I could see Jackson taking that French PG because of how he already struck gold overseas with Porzingis, but I Tatum would be a strong option as well.

What kind of deal would Rudy be expecting and from whom if he was to opt out?
He'll probably ask for a deal similar to Allen Crabbes deal for leverage and Crabbe got $18.5MM a year from Portland. No one will pay him that though and chances are that he will end up with a deal similar to Thad Young who gets about $14MM a year from Indiana. I don't know who will pay him that though, but I'll be happy as long as it's not us. Rudy Gay has one of the worst skill sets in todays game. But the Clippers and Thunder are two names that come to mind. Not sure what their cap situations are though.

Right now I'm on the Jayson Tatum band wagon but that could all change. Looking at the Kings now there is a big need for guys who can create some offense. We don't have anyone even relatively close to that right not. I think Tatum has that ability but I don't think it has to come from the SF spot. There are guards in the draft who might help with that aspect as well.

Isaac or Tatum with one pick, Smith, fox, frank n with the other all of a sudden a very young athletic team. Keep the roster light on vets lose heavy next year and get another high pick and hope there's big growth with all that youth before 19 when you lose your pick.

We have young guys at the 2,4, and 5. This draft is best at the 1 and 3 so it li es up nice as long as we keep both picks (both being top 7 or 8 would be huge)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Isaac or Tatum with one pick, Smith, fox, frank n with the other all of a sudden a very young athletic team. Keep the roster light on vets lose heavy next year and get another high pick and hope there's big growth with all that youth before 19 when you lose your pick.

We have young guys at the 2,4, and 5. This draft is best at the 1 and 3 so it li es up nice as long as we keep both picks (both being top 7 or 8 would be huge)
Interesting, huh?

I'm seeing that as well. I have to say I hate seeing the Kings in this position where we have to hope for draft position to improve the team. It's kind of annoying.