Should management tell Joerger how to coach? (split)

I'm not playing with Joerger, neither should management, it's youth time. I'm looking forward to Papas minutes
If I'm management, I will not more than suggest a youth movement. Suggestion is one thing, telling is another. I will not tell my coach who to play. It's his and the players job to go out and try to win. Hopefully they are on the same page. It appears he is developing the kids nicely.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Did the Kings ever promise DMC an extension? As far as I know, the Kings intimated to Cousins they wanted him to be a King past next year and worked on an extension. Along the way, they had a change of heart. That's not breaking a promise.
He meant Rudy, I think.

If I'm management, I will not more than suggest a youth movement. Suggestion is one thing, telling is another. I will not tell my coach who to play. It's his and the players job to go out and try to win. Hopefully they are on the same page. It appears he is developing the kids nicely.
Suggest is fine. Let him know where his bread is buttered if only subtly, but a coach does not have free reign to act in a manner contradictory to long term viability if others in the organization/fanbase are not for it. He does practically, but he should know he is ruffling feathers and going against the grain which may not be in his best interests

Suggest is fine. Let him know where his bread is buttered if only subtly, but a coach does not have free reign to act in a manner contradictory to long term viability if others in the organization/fanbase are not for it. He does practically, but he should know he is ruffling feathers and going against the grain which may not be in his best interests
What does the fanbase have to do with it? If he's coaching in a manner detrimental to the franchise then you have to have a sit-down. Just because we don't understand it, he may have a perfectly rational reason to do what he does. So far, when he has played the youngsters it has been OK. Joerger said he's in for the long haul so I trust that is thru the re-build, I have no reason to think that him and Vlade are not on the same page.

dude12

Hall of Famer
No, no, no.....it is the coach's job to win period. It was Vlade's job to take away the tools/players if he wanted coach to play more youth. Joerger has made it clear that he wants the young guys to play meaningful minutes.....playing Skal limited minutes in close games is the way to go. Playing the young guys together gets us blown out and are not meaningful minutes. We finally have a coach who is actually developing our young guys. Joerger is spot on in what he's doing. Masterful development job when compared to our previous coaches.

I believe there were reports of Malone being a major reason why he re-signed. Doubt there were any promises. Probably nothing more than very reasonable assumptions. Who would've expected them to be that stupid that quickly, over a what appeared to be a power struggle.
That may be true, but I don't believe for one second the Kings intentionally misled Gay. I doubt PDA who despised Malone would keep him around just to trick Rudy into re-signing. If Rudy thought the Kings would honor any assumptions, he's gullible. There's only a few players in the league who can command the organization to keep a coach. Rudy is not one of them.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That may be true, but I don't believe for one second the Kings intentionally misled Gay. I doubt PDA who despised Malone would keep him around just to trick Rudy into re-signing. If Rudy thought the Kings would honor any assumptions, he's gullible. There's only a few players in the league who can command the organization to keep a coach. Rudy is not one of them.
Good grief. OK, you win. The point though is that the FO can't be trusted.

Good grief. OK, you win. The point though is that the FO can't be trusted.
No one can be trusted. The FO will do what's best for themselves and the players will do the same. The only problem is that we cast aspersions on one party while ignoring the offenses of the other.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Management should never tell a coach how to coach. Vivek meddles enough in personnel moves as is, Joerger is doing what got him to this point and that is coach to his best ability. Some things just need to be left alone and not worried about, coaching is one of them for the time being. Next season, lots of youth will be here and you would expect and hope that Joerger follows suite and plays them and not just for 5-10 minutes.

They should definitely tell him what the plans are moving forward and if playing the young players would be more of a benefit. I do think the more experienced players have earned some time to see what they can do as a team but the more time that goes by I think the betterment of the team as it moves on should be the focus. The Kings have approximately five young players in Buddy, Malachi, PapaG, Skal, and Willie that should be seeing the bulk of the minutes as the season nears it's end. Taking away minutes from veteran players that play their position shouldn't be a concern.

If Malachi comes back before seasons end I think starting Buddy, Malachi, Skal, and Willie would be wise.

Management should never tell a coach how to coach. Vivek meddles enough in personnel moves as is, Joerger is doing what got him to this point and that is coach to his best ability. Some things just need to be left alone and not worried about, coaching is one of them for the time being. Next season, lots of youth will be here and you would expect and hope that Joerger follows suite and plays them and not just for 5-10 minutes.

Maybe not how to coach in terms of play calling but I think it's the managements job to tell Joerger how to manage his players development because they know what they are trying to build. I think there needs to be a straight line of communication from office to bench so everyone knows what the bigger goal is and that no time or asset is wasted. If that's means telling a coach to feature certain players whether for trade, development, etc. I find no issue with that since it's the GM and the coach that should be side by side in all aspects of team building.

Maybe not how to coach in terms of play calling but I think it's the managements job to tell Joerger how to manage his players development because they know what they are trying to build. I think there needs to be a straight line of communication from office to bench so everyone knows what the bigger goal is and that no time or asset is wasted. If that's means telling a coach to feature certain players whether for trade, development, etc. I find no issue with that since it's the GM and the coach that should be side by side in all aspects of team building.
Communication is the key to any successful relationship.

Vlade should not ever tell coach how to coach, but he should let him know what his intent is with the roster going forward.

If Vlade tells coach Joeger, look, my intent is to build the roster around WCS, Skal, Buddy and Malichi going forward and I am not sure which veterans will be back next year. Then, coach being smart and doing what is best for him and the team, should cater his coaching and rotation in maximizing his chances for success long term.

In short, he should be using the remaining games as an extended training camp. He should experiment with different lineups and see which group of players, particularly which young players work best together and help them build chemistry together, while working in the veterans.

I think he has already started some of the chemistry building by starting WCS and Buddy. I think eventually, he will work Skal into the starting lineup, before the season is over.

Joerger is doing fine. He played WCS and Hield like 35 and 32 minutes last game respectively. I know we all want Skal to play big minutes, but so far every single one of our young guys has improved throughout the season under Jeorger. I have no reason to question his rotation. Based on how he has talked about Skal it's pretty clear that he knows Skal is talented and will be a big part of the rotation going forward.

Ok, I'm confused. I was agreeing with you that I doubt the Kings broke any promises to Rudy in regards to Malone. I was just stating that there were reports that Malone was a factor in Rudy resigning. Nothing more. Now how is Rudy gullible in making a reasonable assumption? He may be gullible in thinking management would act honorably but that is something entirely different.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just can't get a read on Joerger. Is he just normally grumpy regardless of winning or losing? Is he grumpy because he's losing? Is he grumpy because he's PO'd about the Cousins trade? Somebody asks him about chemistry after the Cousins' trade and he just waves his hand - one big "whatever" - yeah the guys like each other (grumpily), yeah that pass to one another (grumpily). It's almost like he's really resentful that he has to coach youngins and that he doesn't want to be bothered. I just find it odd coming from the head coach and I wonder if all is right between him and Vlade.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just can't get a read on Joerger. Is he just normally grumpy regardless of winning or losing? Is he grumpy because he's losing? Is he grumpy because he's PO'd about the Cousins trade? Somebody asks him about chemistry after the Cousins' trade and he just waves his hand - one big "whatever" - yeah the guys like each other (grumpily), yeah that pass to one another (grumpily). It's almost like he's really resentful that he has to coach youngins and that he doesn't want to be bothered. I just find it odd coming from the head coach and I wonder if all is right between him and Vlade.
I get the feeling it's the questions (a lot of which are of the "set trap" variety) that he dislikes and not the situations.

I've listened to all his post-game comments and I love the guy. My read on what you're observing is that he thinks the press is made up of mostly idiots. That simple.

As for coaching kids... I honestly believe it is his love and passion to do it. He just thinks you do it by showing them examples of what he wants (Barnes/Temple) and making them play better than those guys to earn minutes (within boundaries... I think he's gonna go full tank here pretty soon).

I LOVE the guy