Shocker... McGwire comes clean, admits steroid use

Yeah, admitting gambling worked out well for Pete Rose. All you have to do is admit it Pete! :)

I think the whole era was juiced and they will either have to blacklist the whole era or just let in those who stood out among all the other juicers.

But it sounds like Tony LaRussa played a major role in him coming clean.

I am glad he did it. We all knew but it is nice to hear it from him too. I also think that LaRussa was a major factor in that and it was a condition for his return.

I was a fan of Mac, may be not anymore but still I think he was/is a great player and should be elected to HOF.

If he would have come clean earlier I might still like him but he was kind of jerky in his denials. I mean Bonds denies it but he doesn't run around calling everyone else a cheater while proclaiming his innocence and I got that vibe from Mac even though he never outright called it like that.

I don't think he belongs in the hall clean or not though. Borderline case because his power was so huge but he struck out a ton, didn't particularly hit for average and basically completely one dimensional.

Are you familiar with the expression "thumb ones nose"? I always got the impression Mac looked down at all those getting busted like he was better than them even though we all suspected him all along.

Bonds just seems to be an all around jerk so its a bit easier to accept that he is still a jerk.

If he would have come clean earlier I might still like him but he was kind of jerky in his denials. I mean Bonds denies it but he doesn't run around calling everyone else a cheater while proclaiming his innocence and I got that vibe from Mac even though he never outright called it like that.

I don't think he belongs in the hall clean or not though. Borderline case because his power was so huge but he struck out a ton, didn't particularly hit for average and basically completely one dimensional.
Roids aside, this guy is a first ballot hall of famer. Excellent defender, great obs, led team to championships.

Also, he never denied taking roids, he simply refused to talk about it.

Yeah, he didn't deny it, but he certainly wasn't honest about it. Neither was anyone else, but the whole "he didn't lie about it" defense isn't going to cut it.

Are you familiar with the expression "thumb ones nose"? I always got the impression Mac looked down at all those getting busted like he was better than them even though we all suspected him all along.

Bonds just seems to be an all around jerk so its a bit easier to accept that he is still a jerk.
Ah ok makes more sense. I didn't really keep up with him enough to know how he acted about others, so that may well be true.

Supes, if you don't mind me asking, why was my post edited? I say something wrong?

That was a cop-out on his part, IMHO.
It was a cop-out, and totally wrong. That said, how he handled it was better then Bonds, ARod, Clemens, Pettite, Palmero, and countless unnamed others who got away with it (some of whom are probably in the hall even).

Whats sadly ironic is the only person who handled it the best was Jose Canseco. weird.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So now what? A do-over and a return to Roger Maris and 61 homers as the real record? Anybody have an over/under on whether or not Bonds will finally admit his involvement?

There is too much unkown to ever have a *real* record again. I mean, you had times when the mound was raised, times when the game was still segregated, etc... personally, I think there will always be a black cloud hanging over the game thanks to these guys. They brought our the questions everybody had on their mind.

This just in: Elite atheletes often use PEDs.

Baseball is just one of every other sport in the world that is tainted PEDs. It has been that way for close to 40 years now.

I don't like it either, but I have pretty much accepted it as a part of elite athleticism and I do not think there is much that any of us can do to change it significantly.

I too have accepted it and its just further proof that comparing eras in sports is pointless. Every era has its dirty little secrets. I can't even bother with the "Tiger Woods laser eye surgery" talking point anymore because according to the Vanity Fair article I read last night even Tiger Woods is on the juice.

Some day when people are using bionic implants and athletes need to submit tissue samples we'll pine for the days when athletes only used steroids because at least they were human.

Big Mac's apology. Too little and WAY too late.

Future record books could have pages full of asterisks.

*****************************************! :(

I too have accepted it and its just further proof that comparing eras in sports is pointless. Every era has its dirty little secrets. I can't even bother with the "Tiger Woods laser eye surgery" talking point anymore because according to the Vanity Fair article I read last night even Tiger Woods is on the juice.

Some day when people are using bionic implants and athletes need to submit tissue samples we'll pine for the days when athletes only used steroids because at least they were human.
Yeah, I think about bionics and the day is not far off. As far as I'm concerned, if you take the natural human being out of sports competition, why bother anymore? It won't be about pushing the natural boundaries of the human body and endurance anymore. Someday we can even have androids do everything physical for us, and we won't even need arms and legs anymore. :rolleyes: