Sergio Rodriguez

He's a 30 year old who last played in the NBA in 09-10 and averaged 4 points and 3 assists over his NBA career.
Sergio isn't even close to the same player he was during his last stint in the NBA.

He's basically been one of the best int'l players anywhere in the last 5 years. Had a Euroleague MVP in 2014 (from which I understand is one of the top leagues?) He's an outstanding playmaker and shooter.

Let's put it this way. I'd much rather give the reigns to Sergio over Rondo, especially at what will likely be a much cheaper price-tag.

He is a very good playmaker and shooter but a terrible defender.

I wouldn't mind him as a backup on a low price but I don't think we should view him as the answer at starting PG.

Edit: If DC works out his problems, a DC-Rodriguez-Curry PG rotation can be a pretty cheap solution for that position that will give as depth.
But it won't be my first choice.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sergio isn't even close to the same player he was during his last stint in the NBA.

He's basically been one of the best int'l players anywhere in the last 5 years. Had a Euroleague MVP in 2014 (from which I understand is one of the top leagues?) He's an outstanding playmaker and shooter.

Let's put it this way. I'd much rather give the reigns to Sergio over Rondo, especially at what will likely be a much cheaper price-tag.
That last sentence again has me SMH.

I cannot imagine why.

And Sergio can play actually. But beating up the minors is not the same as dominating the majors. And on any given night Rondo can do the latter. Nor does the normal defense excuse apply in this case.

That last sentence again has me SMH.

I cannot imagine why.

And Sergio can play actually. But beating up the minors is not the same as dominating the majors. And on any given night Rondo can do the latter. Nor does the normal defense excuse apply in this case.
I expect nothing less from the biggest Rondo homer on the board.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I expect nothing less from the biggest Rondo homer on the board.
I think I am far more in a rational lane about Rondo than you are at the moment. You, along with some others, appear nearly frantic to get rid of him for just anybody. Its a regular #NotRondo movement, and it doesn't bear much relation to his performance last year.

Advocating going after Conley is one thing. As long as his body isn't breaking down that might presumably be an upgrade. But all this silliness about Sergio Rodriguex, ooh Ty Lawson! Brandon Jennings! A random rookie!! is just ridiculous.

Rondo is very good at what he does. Showed he was still very good at what he does. And has established a relationship with our franchise player. All of the above recommends him in a critical year over any number of failures, rookies, or out of the league unknowns.

Rondo had the 18th highest PER amongst PGs in the NBA last year with a 16.9. Not a stat terribly friendly to non-scorers either. And only the top 13 (and that's if you count Bledsoe as a PG) were significantly better. Conley was the last of the "significantly betters" at 19.4. The 14th PG was Teague with a 17.9, only 1pt above Rondo. That put Rajon solidly in the upper reaches of the middle pack. He led the league in assists, directed an above average offense that finished 2nd in the league in scoring, and while he of course does not do it on volume, Rondo hit his threes last year at a higher percentage than Conley, and just behind Chris Paul (CP3 = .371 Rondo = .365 Conley .363).

All of which should very clearly say the guy can still play, and that while you might be able to do better, you can also do a hell of a lot worse. And so I say that people arguing no! NOOOOOO!!!! anybody but RONDO!!! are not coming at this from a remotely reasonable position. Somehow get one of those Top Dozen PGs, all of whom are high end starters, on the line and I am all ears. Anybody else and we're lucky to break even. A bird in the bush.

Last edited:
This is a ridiculous, unsupportable statement.

Rondo wasn;t nearly one of the biggest problems with the Kings last year, people.

Neither was Demarcus.

Keep your eye on the ball and don't dismiss players who played well for us.

Sergio hasn;t proven ANYTHING in the NBA.
Not only has Rondo proven his ability to compete in the NBA even when the defenses and pressure go up in close games in the 4th qtr, but he proved he played well for the Kings just last year.
Anyone saying he wasn't a good PG for the Kings is hyper-focusing on the worst examples of Rondo's defense, which I'm very confident was purposely bad at times to send the message to the organization that defense is more important than the BS that Karl was blowing up the franchise's butt.

I read that sentence exactly like Brick did - there's definitely something wrong with some KF's who are so easily dismissing the best PG the Kings have had since Bibby.

And for someone like Sergio who hasn;t done ANYthing in the NBA?

Doesn't anyone remember how dumb of move it is to dismiss a veteran PG's importance to the Kings? (the ghost of the remains of the team when they dismissed the most reliable King (Beno) for the un-proven promise of Jimmer is calling on line 2).

Well my PG choices would be:
1A-Conley
1B-Rondo (If he does not break the bank. He is 30 and will want a 4 year deal)
Both the above obviously start. Then come the PG's that would most likely back up Conley, Rondo or Collison:
2-Sergio Rodriguez
3-Jeremy Lin
4-Norris Cole
5-Camoren Payne (Requires a trade with OKC):

Last edited:
Not sure if you're serious or trolling
Serious:)

I liked Sergio when he was a King before and thought at that time he did not get enough playing time. I remember a game in Chicago when the Coach cleared the bench due to a lopsided score and Sergio sparked a comeback that Tyreke, Ime Udoka and Beno finished.

You have to look at his work in the Euro League and perhaps his per 36 numbers in the NBA.

To blame Rondo for his defense last season is fair. But on the other hand....the whole damn team sucked at defense as well.

Except WCS and DMC most nights ;)

I'm willing to bet it had something to do with GK absolutely ridiculous defensive schemes. How often did we endure watching our PG switch onto a C?

It is apparent though that he isnt the same spry guy we saw in Boston and before the injury. I just do not think it caused all the mental lapses on D.

Give Rondo a level headed coach like Joeger and a superstar in Cousins to keep dumping the ball too and I think things could be different.
Rondo has always had good defensive instincts and nobody ever doubted his commitment to defense in Boston. Thats because he was forced to play hard by his organization from top to bottom and he knew he was with a team full of winners. I highly doubt he just became aloof on that end of the floor and just forgot how to stop his man.
Unless of course he was forced to play a handicapped style of defense by the coaching staff.

If i'm Vlade i'm keeping Rondo because he is still special. I'm keeping him around because I know this guy is a winner.

Go into next season with Rondo/DC or Curry and lets see what happens.

Like any other decent wing or guard, sure, for the right price.

As for Rondo, my only concern is he had a team that catered to him, so his raw numbers look like something to pay a lot for.
But most seem to realize that fact, and his defensive problems aren't a secret...so he could still be reasonably priced.

Sergio Rodriguez is a backup at best. I'm not sure if he improved his game since he left the NBA.

The Kings offense was actually mediocre. They scored points, but only because pace. They were only 16th in the NBA in OTRG. That could be a lot of things though, but it's something to think about.

There's only one chocolate analogy in the Nba and it's the original. J Will #55 aka White Chocolate

I'd rather he run spot mins on the point than Sergio.

Hell might as well bring back b jax and doug while you're at it

Sergio Rodriguez is a backup at best. I'm not sure if he improved his game since he left the NBA.

The Kings offense was actually mediocre. They scored points, but only because pace. They were only 16th in the NBA in OTRG. That could be a lot of things though, but it's something to think about.
If you're not sure whether he's improved since leaving the NBA then how can you say he is a backup at best? It's a nonsensical statement.

That said, I wouldn't be too comfortable bringing in Sergio as the starter. I'd love him as the backup as he has significantly improved since his last stint, but handing the keys to him would make me nervous. I'd rather just resign Rondo for the starting position.

If you're not sure whether he's improved since leaving the NBA then how can you say he is a backup at best? It's a nonsensical statement.

That said, I wouldn't be too comfortable bringing in Sergio as the starter. I'd love him as the backup as he has significantly improved since his last stint, but handing the keys to him would make me nervous. I'd rather just resign Rondo for the starting position.
I'm basing my statement on his last stint in the NBA. He very well could have improved, but don't you think it's fair to say a guy who averaged 13 mins and then went to play international ball 4+ years is most likely a backup on a team trying to make the playoffs.

To blame Rondo for his defense last season is fair. But on the other hand....the whole damn team sucked at defense as well.

Except WCS and DMC most nights ;)

I'm willing to bet it had something to do with GK absolutely ridiculous defensive schemes. How often did we endure watching our PG switch onto a C?

It is apparent though that he isnt the same spry guy we saw in Boston and before the injury. I just do not think it caused all the mental lapses on D.

Give Rondo a level headed coach like Joeger and a superstar in Cousins to keep dumping the ball too and I think things could be different.
Rondo has always had good defensive instincts and nobody ever doubted his commitment to defense in Boston. Thats because he was forced to play hard by his organization from top to bottom and he knew he was with a team full of winners. I highly doubt he just became aloof on that end of the floor and just forgot how to stop his man.
Unless of course he was forced to play a handicapped style of defense by the coaching staff.

If i'm Vlade i'm keeping Rondo because he is still special. I'm keeping him around because I know this guy is a winner.

Go into next season with Rondo/DC or Curry and lets see what happens.
The main criticism of Rondo during his Celtics years was, that he wasn't giving effort all the time. It got to the point where Celrics fans talked about “playoff Rondo“, because that's when he came along. During the regular season you saw him coasting through games a lot.
A switching defense is how a lot of elite defensive teams play right now. It is not a ridiculous defensive scheme. Now we can talk about a switching defense with two PG's measuring around 6'0, which is obviously not ideal. But a lot of the defensive problems where more a result how our players executed the scheme than a result of the scheme itself. Giving up switch after switch without need is an effort thing. And Rondo was a prime example of not giving enough effort on this end, followed by Rudy and Bellinelli. The guys with championship experience, who were brought in to lead and to show Cousins the way, failed to do that(this is also the reason why I think those leadership veterans are vastly overrated by fans).
This is why I'm reluctant when it comes to resigning Rondo. He obviously can defend, but he wasn't willing to do it. And you can't have that from the most experienced guy on your roster.
He put up stats. Therefore he looks favourable when looking at stats.
But we all watched the games last year. We all saw Rondo not giving a **** about defense. Strangely when going against Curry he suddenly became “playoff Rondo“ again. Can't have that.

The main criticism of Rondo during his Celtics years was, that he wasn't giving effort all the time. It got to the point where Celrics fans talked about “playoff Rondo“, because that's when he came along. During the regular season you saw him coasting through games a lot.
A switching defense is how a lot of elite defensive teams play right now. It is not a ridiculous defensive scheme. Now we can talk about a switching defense with two PG's measuring around 6'0, which is obviously not ideal. But a lot of the defensive problems where more a result how our players executed the scheme than a result of the scheme itself. Giving up switch after switch without need is an effort thing. And Rondo was a prime example of not giving enough effort on this end, followed by Rudy and Bellinelli. The guys with championship experience, who were brought in to lead and to show Cousins the way, failed to do that(this is also the reason why I think those leadership veterans are vastly overrated by fans).
This is why I'm reluctant when it comes to resigning Rondo. He obviously can defend, but he wasn't willing to do it. And you can't have that from the most experienced guy on your roster.
He put up stats. Therefore he looks favourable when looking at stats.
But we all watched the games last year. We all saw Rondo not giving a **** about defense. Strangely when going against Curry he suddenly became “playoff Rondo“ again. Can't have that.
You make some fair points, and I know switching isn't ridiculous but it was happening all too often last season. The constant PG switching is what got me, it seemed like the players didn't fight through them because the coaching staff just told them too switch.

As far as Rondo's effort in Boston I can't really comment. I will certainly take your word for though. If it is indeed a problem of being lazy then that is something to consider for sure.

At this point though, who are you going to get that is better than Rondo? Conley would be an upgrade but aside from that I don't see too many players likely to come here.

You make some fair points, and I know switching isn't ridiculous but it was happening all too often last season. The constant PG switching is what got me, it seemed like the players didn't fight through them because the coaching staff just told them too switch.

As far as Rondo's effort in Boston I can't really comment. I will certainly take your word for though. If it is indeed a problem of being lazy then that is something to consider for sure.

At this point though, who are you going to get that is better than Rondo? Conley would be an upgrade but aside from that I don't see too many players likely to come here.
Indeed. Our PG's and Willie looked like they were switching on purpose all the time. Is this a coaching thing or the players not executing properly? We all don't know it for sure. One thing I remember was Karl mentioning, that his players didn't switch the way he wanted them to switch. Maybe a hint - maybe not.
So there is a chance that Rondo's defense will improve with a new coach. I won't doubt that.
Is there a chance, that he will become an aggressive defensive player again, giving effort all the time and leading our perimeter D? I highly doubt that.
And because we have no Tony Allen or Avery Bradley and we most likely won't aquire a player similar to that, this is exactly what Rondo needs to become in order for us to make the Playoffs.
Rondo is a special player, meaning that with Rondo you play "Rondo-Ball".
But "Rondo-Ball" means him dominating every possession, it means the ball stuck in one place, while a play develops.
I personally admired Rondo's style of play for a very long time. But last season changed my mind a bit. I personally think, that it's easier to create good looks for teammates when the ball moves. The whole Bellinelli curling of screens thing reminded me a lot of the way the Celtics used Allen. Now when you have an elite shooter coming of a screen and letting it go off balance it might be a good shot. For the likes of Bellinelli or McLemore it certainly wasn't a good shot.
Our offense once forced into the halfcourt was uninspiring and looked not terribly effective the moment Cousins had a tough matchup.
Of course not everything is Rondo's fault, but I think he certainly played his part in this.

Now we all agree, that with an elite defense you can overcome offensive shortcomings. So all comes down to the question, if Rondo can be part of an elite defense again and if Rondo is good enough as a player to try to hide him on the defensive end.
I doubt that and I think all the stats are a bit misleading on this point. I mean a PG like Rondo, who grabs a lot of defensive rebounds, most of them uncontested, to push the pace is a great thing, but this will also bolster any stat based on his box score. Is he a better defender because of that? I don't think so. A guy like Rondo, who plays his majority of his minutes with the starting 5 has plenty of help on the defensive end. Is he a better individual defender, because his teammates back him up a lot? I don't think so.
I want to see Rondo pressuring the ballhandler. I want to see him down in a good defensive stance. I want him to fight through screens. Because that's what good perimeter defense is.
It basically looks like this:

or this

When anyone can convince me, that Rondo can play defense like this, I will be all for resigning this guy.

With the way he played last season, I'm worried to see the Kings hand out a big paycheck to Rajon Rondo.

But ultimately I agree - we don't have many options other than resigning Rondo. And Rondo certainly isn't a bad player. I just fear his flaws are too much to overcome for the Kings.

Not necessarily give him the keys, but I'd be very comfortable with a time-share of DC/Sergio/Seth for cheap like Amit said. Those 3 cover a lot of what we want out of the PG position, just not put into one player. And we wouldn't be stuck with Rondo as he continues his decline.