Scott Perry interviews for GM job with Knicks

I hire Perry as GM here. I don't even consider a first round pick for him.

Do not discount how much of a positive influence he has had. He is the real deal. You don't let people like that go.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I hire Perry as GM here. I don't even consider a first round pick for him.

Do not discount how much of a positive influence he has had. He is the real deal. You don't let people like that go.
You're missing the point. Scott Perry considers GM for the Knicks in New York City his dream job. You let him go after thanking him for what he did while he was here. If you try and enforce his contract and make him pass on his dream, you will NEVER get another quality individual to come here.

You're missing the point. Scott Perry considers GM for the Knicks in New York City his dream job. You let him go after thanking him for what he did while he was here. If you try and enforce his contract and make him pass on his dream, you will NEVER get another quality individual to come here.
Absolutely agree but I also believe that Knicks do need to compensate Kings for unsettling their front office leading into the season.

Scott Perry has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting around these parts since he got here. He has a great network throughout the NBA and his presence started changing the perception of the Kings. He would have been a big part of setting and then subsequently executing that strategy over the next 2-3 years utilizing his extensive network in the basketball world. His departure not only leaves a huge hole in the organization but the timing of it is far from great as it leaves you limited time in which to recruit the replacement before the season start. Quite possibly it puts the Kings at a disadvantage as the replacement might not be found until next off-season and there is a lot of work to be done by then.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Anybody who knew who Scott Perry is in the league knew he was waiting for a GM offer. When we first hired him I was hoping that we would make him that offer because I would put the cap on how long we could hold onto him without one at about 2 years. Looks like it will end up being a lot less than that. Is he a guy we can't afford to lose? No. Is it a disaster for our team? Of course not. But I really like Scott Perry and he brings a lot of experience and connections with him wherever he goes. Losing a skilled front office executive can only hurt us in the same way that losing a good player would so I don't see this as a complete non-issue, but the simple fact of the matter is that Perry had been waiting for his shot at a GM job for a long time and he's eminently qualified for the position. If we're not going to make him that offer than the right thing to do is to let him pursue an opportunity elsewhere. It would have been nice to have him around longer than this but you can't fault a guy for taking his shot when he can get it.

Hearing Zach Randolph and Vince Carter talk about the Kings as "our team" just days after signing a contract really drove home for me how different the experience of being a fan is from the experience of people who have made professional basketball their career. "Kings Fan" is a lifelong thing for us, it's a paycheck for them. You can live and breath Kings basketball but then you get traded or fired and suddenly you live and breath some other logo and team colors. I'm happy for Scott if he does take that job and I wish him well even though he'd be working for the competition because ultimately this just goes into the category of "things I can't control" and seeing a well-qualified GM candidate get his first shot at running a team trumps anything fan-related for me. Life > basketball.

Losing a quality front office guy like Perry is not a non-issue. But it's not a "sky is falling" issue, either, as some immediately concluded. It seems that Perry has been given credit for all the good things in recent years, despite only being here for a few months. Well, earned or not, thanks for everything, SP! We can't fault you for wanting to take your dream job. May you be wildly successful in your endeavor, but may the Kings always be the better team.

Sam Amick‏Verified account@sam_amick
Following
More
Kings and Knicks have reached an agreement on Scott Perry's NY GM deal, I'm told. Kings get a 2019 2nd round pick & cash considerations.

8:51 AM - 14 Jul 2017
That's what I was hoping for. I didn't think we could get a 1st rounder for a Front Office guy.

The Knicks 2nd round pick is good value. I don't recall any team ever receiving a draft pick to release a front office executive before.

That at least gives us two 2nd round picks in 2019, we can always try to package that to move into the 1st round!

This is way better than just cash considerations! ;)

Last edited:
Cash + 2019 2nd rounder for Perry

Tommy Beer

✔@TommyBeer

Knicks have two second-round picks coming to them in 2019. More favorable will go to Sacramento (via @sam_amick)

This is where it gets complicated. The Knicks will receive two of least favorable between Orlando, Cleveland and Houston. So chances are the Knicks will get 2nd round picks from CLE and HOU in 2019 and we will get higher of those two picks. Seems likely the pick will be in the 50s.

EDIT: Just remembered LeBron will likely be leaving CLE after next season (for HOU is my educated guess) so pick could be higher. And while I am predicting where superstars (stars) will end up, I think Paul George is going to love playing with Westbrook and will re-sign with the Thunder, Melo and LeBron will end up in HOU playing with Harden and Paul, and sadly (or not) depending on your perspective, Boogie will end up on the Lakers.

Last edited:
Cash + 2019 2nd rounder for Perry

Tommy Beer

✔@TommyBeer

Knicks have two second-round picks coming to them in 2019. More favorable will go to Sacramento (via @sam_amick)

This is where it gets complicated. The Knicks will receive two of least favorable between Orlando, Cleveland and Houston. So chances are the Knicks will get 2nd round picks from CLE and HOU in 2019 and we will get higher of those two picks. Seems likely the pick will be in the 50s.

EDIT: Just remembered LeBron will likely be leaving CLE after next season (for HOU is my educated guess) so pick could be higher. And while I am predicting where superstars (stars) will end up, I think Paul George is going to love playing with Westbrook and will re-sign with the Thunder, Melo and LeBron will end up in HOU playing with Harden and Paul, and sadly (or not) depending on your perspective, Boogie will end up on the Lakers.

We will be getting the better of ORL, CLE or HOU 2nd round pick.

Orlando's pick will probably be in the #31-40 range. If LeBron leaves Cleveland, their pick will be high too. We should be getting a pretty decent 2nd round pick in this Perry deal. :)

We will be getting the better of ORL, CLE or HOU 2nd round pick.

Orlando's pick will probably be in the #31-40 range. If LeBron leaves Cleveland, their pick will be high too. We should be getting a pretty decent 2nd round pick in this Perry deal. :)
That's not the way I interpreted it. I read NYK will receive two of the least favorable of ORL, HOU and CLE with us getting better of those picks.

That's not the way I interpreted it. I read NYK will receive two of the least favorable of ORL, HOU and CLE with us getting better of those picks.
Yes, so if Lebron leaves Cleveland next summer, we would probably get either ORL or CLE 2019 2nd round pick.

Which both should be in the #31-40's range. Remember last time LeBron left Cleveland, they went into the tank for 4 years! I think Cleveland's pick will be decent by 2019.

Yes, so if Lebron leaves Cleveland next summer, we would probably get either ORL or CLE 2019 2nd round pick.

Which both should be in the #31-40's range. Remember last time LeBron left Cleveland, they went into the tank for 4 years! I think Cleveland's pick will be decent by 2019.
I don't think so. The Knicks are getting two of the least favorable of the three picks. Then they convey the more favorable one of those two to us. So they are likely to get HOU and CLE picks (with or without LeBron), and send the higher one to us.

I don't think so. The Knicks are getting the least favorable of the three picks. Then they convey the more favorable of those two to us. So they are likely to get HOU and CLE picks (with or without LeBron), and send the higher one to us.
Yes, that is what I am saying.

So, we probably won't get ORL, but I think Cleveland's pick will be decent by 2019, because LeBron will have left. Houston will be good. We will probably be getting Cleveland's pick, which should be in the #31-40ish range, if LBJ leave next summer, they may blow it up.

Yes, that is what I am saying.

So, we probably won't get ORL, but I think Cleveland's pick will be decent by 2019, because LeBron will have left. Houston will be good. We will probably be getting Cleveland's pick, which should be in the #31-40ish range, if LBJ leave next summer, they may blow it up.
No GM still in Cleveland. Lebron like WTF?

As much as I'm sad to lose Scott Perry from the front office, I do like Vlade insisting upon getting a pig as compensation, especially in 2019. I get the feeling that this pic will be incredibly important in the future because now it seems much easier two package one of our young guys that is a duplicate with the 2019 second-rounder to get into the first round in 2019. For example when Malachi's fully healthy again I could see packaging him and the second-rounder in 2019 for a 2019 first-rounder.

Long story short, I think this 2019 second round pick will end up being a major factor in the coming year or so.

As much as I'm sad to lose Scott Perry from the front office, I do like Vlade insisting upon getting a pig as compensation, especially in 2019. I get the feeling that this pic will be incredibly important in the future because now it seems much easier two package one of our young guys that is a duplicate with the 2019 second-rounder to get into the first round in 2019. For example when Malachi's fully healthy again I could see packaging him and the second-rounder in 2019 for a 2019 first-rounder.

Long story short, I think this 2019 second round pick will end up being a major factor in the coming year or so.
Wait we got a pig too?! Bacon seals the deal.

If anyone is confused on what we got in the deal.

The most probable outcome is we got the 2019 second that is the best between Houston or Cleveland.

And cash.

There is more too it than that, but that's the probable return.

Im still a little lost over the declared greatness that was/is Scott Perry. Did he build a winner somewhere out there im not aware of? He has been in Orlando for a number of years and there is not much to compliment the Magic on during his tenure. Then they cut him him loose. And no other team was rushing at him with GM offers. Im a bit curious as to how he became so popular suddenly where the guys on ESPN draft night were singing his praises. Perhaps Dolan was influenced by draft night. Why is Perry rated so much higher than Ken Catanela (our guy from detroit)? Is it solely he is buddies with a lot of agents and gms or something along those lines?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Im still a little lost over the declared greatness that was/is Scott Perry. Did he build a winner somewhere out there im not aware of? He has been in Orlando for a number of years and there is not much to compliment the Magic on during his tenure. Then they cut him him loose. And no other team was rushing at him with GM offers. Im a bit curious as to how he became so popular suddenly where the guys on ESPN draft night were singing his praises. Perhaps Dolan was influenced by draft night. Why is Perry rated so much higher than Ken Catanela (our guy from detroit)? Is it solely he is buddies with a lot of agents and gms or something along those lines?
Yeah, we had a nice little offseason for our rebuild, but it was totally in line with what Vlade did last summer. Dunno why Perry is getting so much credit for it.

Perry worked out as a nice ambassador to the league, and he's well respected for a reason, but I think Vlade can find another guy who will be just as good in the role Perry is vacating. Vlade is who hired Perry in the first place, after all.

We'll be fine.

Those are good, legitimate questions. Obviously Perry didn't build a winner in Orlando. But I think he gets a lot of credit for the work he previously did for the Pistons. And he is clearly respected around the league. Why did many of the top draft prospects come to Sacramento when, just a half a year ago following the DMC trade, we were still seen as seriously dysfunctional? I think Perry brought us a certain amount of credibility. Now let's hope we don't lose any of it.
On the other hand, Perry is getting way too much credit around here. For some, Vlade has not and never will make a good decision on his own.

Great blurb from the Yahoo Vertical article today on Perry and how the Kings plan was already in place before he got there, but he helped solidify it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lonzo-ball-may-part-best-rookie-point-guard-class-ever-171849422.html

Quick shots
■ Has anyone had a better offseason than Scott Perry? Fired in the purge in Orlando, Perry was credited with helping Sacramento complete its best offseason in years as the team’s vice president of basketball operations before the Knicks hired him to be their general manger." data-reactid="85" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">Quick shots
■ Has anyone had a better offseason than Scott Perry? Fired in the purge in Orlando, Perry was credited with helping Sacramento complete its best offseason in years as the team’s vice president of basketball operations before the Knicks hired him to be their general manger.

The Kings’ draft and free-agency plans were largely in place before Perry’s hiring, but Perry solidified frayed relationships with player agents and improved Sacramento’s reputation among players. In New York, Perry will have to prove himself as a talent evaluator. The Knicks are committed to going young, and Perry will have to continue to build a team around Kristaps Porzingis while avoiding the bad contracts that have hamstrung the team’s cap flexibility for years.

Great blurb from the Yahoo Vertical article today on Perry and how the Kings plan was already in place before he got there, but he helped solidify it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lonzo-ball-may-part-best-rookie-point-guard-class-ever-171849422.html
This is what I had been saying. Perry was most useful as a bridge to the agents and his connections to other front offices.

Vlade was the one making the final decisions on the moves this summer.

Vlade needs to find someone similar, who is an experienced FO guy. Someone who has the respect and connections of agents and GMs around the league. But, they must be willing to let Vlade keep making the final personnel decisions.

So, those people hoping for a Sam Hinke hire, I think you can forget about it. ;)