Scenario: Webber to New York

The guy is a pretty bad writer... but he does bring up an interesting scenario. While it's hard to see the Kings trading Webb for Hardaway and Sweetney, I've heard from some sources that the Kings have been trying to trade Webb this summer (unverified sources at that). And if this knee inflammation becomes a common thing, who knows what GP will do... I don't want to assess Webber's future without seeing him play for a few months.

Webber to New York?
By Patrick J. Austin
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Oct 6, 2004, 07:57 [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]Email this article
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]Printer friendly page

Reports out of Sacramento are stating that the Kings want to deal Chris Webber. In fact, they would love to just dump his salary. Why would the Kings want to let go of their star big man? That's simple, he has alienated teammates and management. This summer, he spoke to the media, and basically called out Peja Stojakovic, which prompted Peja to demand a trade. In addition, Webber is getting paid close to 18 million dollars this year and that figure is only going up. He is getting paid like a franchise player, but has proven isn't one.

The question now is, what team is willing to trade for C-Webb and his massive contract? I believe the answer is New York. That's right, the good ol' New York Knicks. They are one of the few teams who don't care about the salary cap and are willing to take on an albatross contract. They have Isiah Thomas running things, and he is a big Webber fan. In fact, when Zeke was coaching in Indiana, he tried to sign him as a free agent.

I believe a fair deal between these two teams would be Penny Hardaway and Mike Sweetney going to Sacramento in return Webber. Why would the Kings do that trade? The main reason would be money. By dumping C-Webb's contract and getting back Hardaway's deal(which expires in the summer of 2006) they would save over 50 million dollars. Penny would also add some more versatility and scoring to the backcourt. Mike Sweetney is a young and talented power forward who has the potential to be a stud in this league.

The trade is obviously good for New York since they would have a great inside-outside combination with Marbury and Webber. I believe New York would be the perfect destination for Chris. He wouldn't have the pressure of being the franchise guy(they have Marbury for that). It's a big market franchise, something Chris has wanted for a long time, and the team is looking to win now. With an offensive quartet of Marbs, Webber, Houston, and Crawford the Knicks would be contenders in the East.

This is obviously speculation on my part, but I truly believe Webber's time in Sacramento is nearly up. Both sides seem willing to make a change. Sending Webber to New York just makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
what sources? I've heard it all the time that the Kings have been trying to move Webb and it's a statement that seems unproveable. It's not that I don't think it's possible, but I have never seen any proof, just statements from sources etc.

Last edited:
Much rather keep Webber if this is all we'd get in return. The guy is a 20/10/4 PF who's had one bad season with this team, you don't dump him cause of that.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
ZzZzZzZzZz......... Lets see if CWebb even makes it through training camp and regains 90%+ of his top form. This would make him more tradeable. Then if the Kings chemistry set does blow out a window at Arco we can all sing "New York, New York...." But do the salaries even come close to matching?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hoopsworld is roughly as credible as Bubba, our local rumor-monger.

But just looking at the sturcture of the amateurish article itself, look what we have:

1) Reports out of Sacramento are stating that the Kings want to deal Webber...er, what reports? From who? Certainly not management or the owners. Knowing the quality of Hoopsworld's normal work, odds are that they say a Voison article or a fan comment and ran with it.

2) So, working entirely off of that base, we then get hmmm...where could he go? And the writer's solution is to come up with the same old NY rumor that's been around since the dawn of time. originally started by NY writers convinced that Webb would never stay in a "cowtown" as a FA and would of course prefer the bright lights of the big city, and more recently carried along by people convinced the Knicks are spendthrift idiots who absorb every big contract in the league. Throw in the Isiah factor (Detroit connection) and bingo, it makes "sense".

M

Markezi

Catalyst said:
Much rather keep Webber if this is all we'd get in return. The guy is a 20/10/4 PF who's had one bad season with this team, you don't dump him cause of that.
The guy has barely managed to play in half of the Kings games since he arrived!

As I mentioned a month ago - take the blinders off. Petrie is shopping Webber, and will continue to do so as long as Webber remains under contract.

Sorry to make you feel all icky, but it's a business, and he ain't good for it.

It's the typical biased Knick trade rumor where they give up nothing for something. The writers don't even beleive it themselves, they write to sell newspapers. As for Hoopsworld, it just goes to show that anyone with a computer can become an instant expert on anything. I wouldn't put any more stock in one of their articles than a post on one of the many NBA forums. They are the same.

Markezi said:
The guy has barely managed to play in half of the Kings games since he arrived!

As I mentioned a month ago - take the blinders off. Petrie is shopping Webber, and will continue to do so as long as Webber remains under contract.

Sorry to make you feel all icky, but it's a business, and he ain't good for it.
Anyone on the team is available for the right price. That's a lot different from being shopped around. I guess Petrie must be a bad shopper because no deals have popped up. Being shopped means you take whatever you can get. Since we have an absence of a deal here, then we can assume that he isn't being shopped around or there are no takers. Maybe Petrie should list him on ebay?:D

M

Markezi

JB_kings said:
Anyone on the team is available for the right price. That's a lot different from being shopped around. I guess Petrie must be a bad shopper because no deals have popped up. Being shopped means you take whatever you can get. Since we have an absence of a deal here, then we can assume that he isn't being shopped around or there are no takers. Maybe Petrie should list him on ebay?:D
There is a difference between shopping players who have value vs. their contract and those that don't. Webber doesn't have much; he didn't even have much when we signed him to the $120M contract as evidenced by no other teams expressing interest. Add in a career threatening injury (among other factors), and it makes it very difficult to shop such a player around. It would be nice that Webber was healthy and contributing to make his stock go up, but then some people would suggest that it would be a mistake to trade him if he was playing at that level. Petrie may not agree - only time will tell I guess.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Markezi said:
... It would be nice that Webber was healthy and contributing to make his stock go up, but then some people would suggest that it would be a mistake to trade him if he was playing at that level. Petrie may not agree - only time will tell I guess.
You seem to be saying this facetiously, but what player in the league could we possibly get would be worth a healthy and contributing Webber? If Webber ever even apporaches his level of play in 2002-03, I'd trade Stojakovic first in a heartbeat; it's a hell of a lot easier to get another good 3 than it would be to get another good 4.

Vlad said:
The guy is a pretty bad writer... but he does bring up an interesting scenario. While it's hard to see the Kings trading Webb for Hardaway and Sweetney, I've heard from some sources that the Kings have been trying to trade Webb this summer (unverified sources at that). And if this knee inflammation becomes a common thing, who knows what GP will do... I don't want to assess Webber's future without seeing him play for a few months.

Webber to New York?
By Patrick J. Austin
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Oct 6, 2004, 07:57 [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]Email this article
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]Printer friendly page

Reports out of Sacramento are stating that the Kings want to deal Chris Webber. In fact, they would love to just dump his salary. Why would the Kings want to let go of their star big man? That's simple, he has alienated teammates and management. This summer, he spoke to the media, and basically called out Peja Stojakovic, which prompted Peja to demand a trade. In addition, Webber is getting paid close to 18 million dollars this year and that figure is only going up. He is getting paid like a franchise player, but has proven isn't one.

The question now is, what team is willing to trade for C-Webb and his massive contract? I believe the answer is New York. That's right, the good ol' New York Knicks. They are one of the few teams who don't care about the salary cap and are willing to take on an albatross contract. They have Isiah Thomas running things, and he is a big Webber fan. In fact, when Zeke was coaching in Indiana, he tried to sign him as a free agent.

I believe a fair deal between these two teams would be Penny Hardaway and Mike Sweetney going to Sacramento in return Webber. Why would the Kings do that trade? The main reason would be money. By dumping C-Webb's contract and getting back Hardaway's deal(which expires in the summer of 2006) they would save over 50 million dollars. Penny would also add some more versatility and scoring to the backcourt. Mike Sweetney is a young and talented power forward who has the potential to be a stud in this league.

The trade is obviously good for New York since they would have a great inside-outside combination with Marbury and Webber. I believe New York would be the perfect destination for Chris. He wouldn't have the pressure of being the franchise guy(they have Marbury for that). It's a big market franchise, something Chris has wanted for a long time, and the team is looking to win now. With an offensive quartet of Marbs, Webber, Houston, and Crawford the Knicks would be contenders in the East.

This is obviously speculation on my part, but I truly believe Webber's time in Sacramento is nearly up. Both sides seem willing to make a change. Sending Webber to New York just makes perfect sense.
no!,no!,hell no!

M

Markezi

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
You seem to be saying this facetiously, but what player in the league could we possibly get would be worth a healthy and contributing Webber? If Webber ever even apporaches his level of play in 2002-03, I'd trade Stojakovic first in a heartbeat; it's a hell of a lot easier to get another good 3 than it would be to get another good 4.
"Healthy and contributing" is relative to his history - both professionally and with regard to injuries. Even if Webber put up MVP numbers in the first half of the season, I would be surprised if there were many (if any) teams who would be knocking on our door to get him based on these factors. Remember - he was healthy when he was a free agent last time and nobody else tried to sign him. Perhaps cap space would be a motivating factor - I don't know.

Markezi said:
There is a difference between shopping players who have value vs. their contract and those that don't. Webber doesn't have much; he didn't even have much when we signed him to the $120M contract as evidenced by no other teams expressing interest. Add in a career threatening injury (among other factors), and it makes it very difficult to shop such a player around. It would be nice that Webber was healthy and contributing to make his stock go up, but then some people would suggest that it would be a mistake to trade him if he was playing at that level. Petrie may not agree - only time will tell I guess.
No other teams expressing interest? I don't think there was a team in the league not licking their chops when he became available. I just watched Game 4 vs. the Lakers from that year's playoffs and that's ALL that was talked about during that game by the announcers: which team would land C-Webb. It's just that every team knew that it would be nearly impossible to afford him. The situation was almost exactly identical to that of Kobe Bryant this summer. I don't think anyone is claiming that "no other teams expressed interest" in him.

Markezi said:
Remember - he was healthy when he was a free agent last time and nobody else tried to sign him. Perhaps cap space would be a motivating factor - I don't know.
It seems like a catch 22. The only way Webber gets dealt in the near term is if he is realtively healthy and playing well. So, if he's healthy and playing well there aren't many players who can give you the complete game that Webber gives you.

Some luxury tax gurus seem to think the tax may not kick in next season. The luxury tax not being a factor may stimulate some interest in Webber if he is "healthy."

G

Garliguy

If Webber ever even apporaches his level of play in 2002-03
Cough, cough, cough! Sorry, my sudden burst of laughter almost made me choke on my muffin.

New York is a totally viable candidate, mostly because Isiah Thomas is one of the dumbest people on the planet.

Vlad said:
Webber to New York?
By Patrick J. Austin
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Oct 6, 2004, 07:57
Email this article
Printer friendly page

Reports out of Sacramento are stating that the Kings want to deal Chris Webber. In fact, they would love to just dump his salary. Why would the Kings want to let go of their star big man? [A]That's simple, he has alienated teammates and management. This summer, he spoke to the media, and basically called out Peja Stojakovic, which prompted Peja to demand a trade.

The trade is obviously good for New York since they would have a great inside-outside combination with Marbury and Webber...

When do we start to play basketball?

A: Management? Really? Who? RA? He has always spoken highly of Chris Webber. Petrie? The Maloofs...c'mon now who?..Players? Hey Mike you still like Chris? Yeah...Bobby? Most definitely. Doug? I love the guy. Peja? He says "Me and Chris are cool "

B: Oh yeah, Marbury is the perfect outside player...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh good. The same tired refrain about Webber is being shopped, etc.

There is NO EVIDENCE to show this article has any substance to it at all. It is written by a FAN at a amateur site. Even the writer himself says he has nothing concrete to go on:

Yeah, right. You convinced me!

NOT!

If you really want to hope and believe Chris Webber is being shopped, that's fine but don't be too surprised when he doesn't leave.

while i don't think webber is going to be traded, if he was, NY would probably be the only team to take him on becuase they are the only team that can take on that contract.

i personally don't want to see webber be traded. i am concerned with the amount of money he makes, and how that will effect us when we try to re-sign peja. i just want to make sure we can afford to give peja what he wants, this is assuming he wants to stay. i'd much rather keep peja on the team due to his younger age, and the fact that he is one of the best shooters in the game.

doesn't webber have a no trade clause???? i wonder if he would even accept any kind of trade.

all right, if you assume that webber should be traded. fine.

But for Penny Hardaway? Surely even the biggest webber bashers in the world must realize that at least THIS trade is kinda sucky.

people don't like webber's personality?
----wait until you get a snoutful of Penny!!

don't like the potential of a nagging knee injury?
----Penny's knee's reaction to the same surgery Webber had is the WORST-CASE-SCENARIO that people keep using as the basis to think that Webber might be finished phisically. Penny IS finished phisically

Don't like Webber's bad contract?
---- Have you seen Penny's????!!!

C'mon now. Even if you caught webber kissing your wife while he was kicking your dog and eating your last doughnut you MUST realize that at least THIS trade sucks donkey eggs from the Kings' stand point. You MUST!

#1sacfan

keflanag said:
No other teams expressing interest? I don't think there was a team in the league not licking their chops when he became available. I just watched Game 4 vs. the Lakers from that year's playoffs and that's ALL that was talked about during that game by the announcers: which team would land C-Webb. It's just that every team knew that it would be nearly impossible to afford him. The situation was almost exactly identical to that of Kobe Bryant this summer. I don't think anyone is claiming that "no other teams expressed interest" in him.
How are these situations almost identical. Teams were clearing cap space for 2 years to go after Kobe while no other team in that one year tried to manuever to get Webber. You comparing Webb to Kobe is like rotten apples to Florida grown oranges (not a dig on CWEBB but the comparison would be the same with almost any player being compared to Kobe especially one who is injury proned). They are not the same.

But that isnt to say that Webber cant still produce. He should just try to set more picks and distribute the ball and rebound more. That will show that he is a team player.

#1sacfan said:
How are these situations almost identical. Teams were clearing cap space for 2 years to go after Kobe while no other team in that one year tried to manuever to get Webber. You comparing Webb to Kobe is like rotten apples to Florida grown oranges (not a dig on CWEBB but the comparison would be the same with almost any player being compared to Kobe especially one who is injury proned). They are not the same.

But that isnt to say that Webber cant still produce. He should just try to set more picks and distribute the ball and rebound more. That will show that he is a team player.
Prior to his knee injury, Webber was no doubt, one of the top 3 PF's in the game (behind only Duncan and Garnett). I agree it is almost impossible to compare Kobe and CWeb, because you can never really compare the value of any big man vs. a 1, 2, or 3. What I was referring to about the situations being the same is that when you have a player of that value (and I agree Webber's value is more in doubt now with his injury) that will receive a max contract, his current team always will have the ability to offer the most money to keep their own. Webber could have received a max contract from at least 5 other teams offering, but the Kings could offer more. Similarly, Kobe could have gone to Memphis, Denver, or the Clippers. But they could not offer the $140M that the Lakers could.

#1sacfan said:

It's a very good comparison. The Kings held Webber's Bird Rights, and so were able to offer him more money and a larger contract than anyone else could have. Other teams made offers to Webber; none could beat the Kings offer.

On top of that, the Maloofs made it clear that they would be offering Chris that contract and that they wouldn't be entertaining trade offers.

With Kobe and the Lakers, the main difference is that Kobe opted out of his contract in order to see what other teams were offering. Kobe was expressing interest in playing somewhere else. The difference - forgive me if I'm mistaken - is that Chris didn't opt out of his contract.

Regarding the comparison, no, you don't say that Webber is as valuable or will generate as much interest as Kobe. There are several reasons for that, like age, injury history, championship contributions, etc. But the fact of the matter is that before he was injured, a free agent Chris Webber makes noise around the League. Saying that he doesn't is, at best, a misrepresentation of the facts.

Chris Webber,s contract: 17 million
Penny Hardaway's contract:14 million

It doesnt make sense. If they make the trade the Kings will save around 3 million. That means this trade and and the person that made this article is fake!

Bballkingsrock said:
Chris Webber,s contract: 17 million
Penny Hardaway's contract:14 million

It doesnt make sense. If they make the trade the Kings will save around 3 million. That means this trade and and the person that made this article is fake!
I'm not saying it's a good idea but Hardaway has two years and roughly $30m left on his contract, Webber has 4 years and roughly $80m left. *IF* they made this deal it would free up a ton of cap space in 2006 (I think) which would provide $$$ for both Peja and Bobby. What it does to the Kings this year and next, I have no idea except that it's probably nothing good but we have no guarantees from Webber or anyone else really. Hard to say what's going on with Bobby but he has had a lot of freak injuries over the last two seasons. All I want for Xmas is a healthy Kings team!!!!!

KK!

P.S. oh yeah, and for Chris to keep his foot out of his mouth!! :D