Scathing Article from Amick on Cousins

I would like to see an article that lists nba players caught cursing during games.

Actually, the list would be of players who haven't cursed during games. And it'd include Jimmer and no one else ever.

One of my first memories of the nba is the immortal rich Kelley yelling a very audible "that's horsepoopoo" to a ref. Only not poopoo, although that'd be hilarious. The idea of Rich Kelley saying poopoo, that's good stuff.

Just words people. That's all they are. Some we as a society have deemed bad. Some good. Still just words.

Edit: I'm anxiously awaiting someone replying to say, nope, I heard jimmer say some horrible curse word to Violet Palmer once.
I believe Jimmer has dropped an f bomb or two during games.

this thread has gotten more than a bit silly, in my view. there's no question that DMC should not have behaved as he did. he reacted poorly in a situation that demands restraint, particularly when it comes to the team's franchise cornerstone. however, the incident in question was also not some sort of referendum on cousins' inability to grow up. life doesn't work that way. we don't just get out of bed one morning and arrive at responsible adulthood...

"maturity" is not a linear notion, and sam amick showed a disappointing lack of depth as a journalist by characterizing a moment of obscenity as some sort massive backslide in cousins' maturation process. in fact, the timing and tone of the article say a lot more about amick's immature motivations as a journalist (or, at the very least, usa today's immature motivations as an online publication) than it does about the 23-year-old cousins' journey towards respectability...

Hell, If I got fouled every time I had the ball and rarely if ever got a call from the Ref's, I'd be a little testy too. Add to that, any aggressive move to the basket is called an offensive foul, and I can see why Cousins is not entirely happy about his situation. Other centers in the league get far more foul calls and shoulder into players to create space under the rim and score without a foul call. Shaq would have fouled out of every single game he ever played if he got called for the offensive fouls that Cousins gets called for. Cousins would score 15-20 points from the free throw line every night if they called half the fouls he incurs nightly. It is really just a lack of respect by refs, coupled with an existing bad attitude image. Only time will fix these issues.
This is a load of crap.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I agree completely. The idea that most fans believe he is developing at an appropriate pace is what gives my assessment that they are "satisfied" with his progress. I do believe that for our team to be successful, Cousins does need to mature at a pace that is beyond an average 23 year old. And I have annotated numerous times that it is unfortunate there isn't a senior NBA player who can provide this role model for him (I was hoping that would be Gay, but that was false hope). My expectation for him to mature faster than he should isn't fair. And yes, my expectations are based on what he is (the leader of the team), his place on the team (the franchise player and best player), and without regard for his age. This isn't a insurmountable request, there are players in the NBA that show far superior maturity at a much younger age than him.

But if people's consternation with my opinion is that it isn't fair, no, it isn't.
I find these statements to be incongruous.

I find these statements to be incongruous.
I assumed that people were disagreeing with my assessment that Cousins needed to mature further, rather than thinking that an accelerated pace of maturing was "unfair". If fairness was the problem with my posting, and people agreed with my basic premise that Cousins still needed to improve, I can accept that because I can agree that expecting advanced maturity might be unfair. It is still my expectation (and my disappointment) when he doesn't but I can agree with the general idea that most fans think it will come 'eventually'.

As for the article, yea it was out of line for DMC, but it doesn't deserve a full story on USA Today. that is ridiculous. LeBron told a fan courtside to shut the F up and stop talking to him a couple months ago. i didn't see Sam's full page article on that one.

My dad was 4 rows back from the bench on the night of the crotch grab and obscenities. Im just glad it didnt get on camera. Sucks tha cuz had controled himself better than ever but still gets the strictest tech foul calls against him that make him look bad. National media bs will mean nothing soon. Our team is slowly becoming too dangerous to ignore.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
So are we at the point where we can move past a crap article? It didn't get the national attention that both its author and his brotherhood felt it deserved, but that's what you get for trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

We're not getting a "mea culpa" on this one, nor should we expect it.

This story just kinda died, didn't it? Perhaps not the "story of the year."

Wow, this article got a key detail wrong. Didn't the incident happen against Miami? Amick's article was such a confusing mess I'm not surprised.

"According to USA TODAY Sports, Cousins was being mercilessly heckled by a Grizzlies' fan to pass the ball midway through the second half when, according to two eyewitnesses, he turned toward the lower concourse and allegedly grabbed his crotch while shouting expletives at the fan."

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/arti...ne-gesture-at-memphis-grizzlies-fan-video.htm

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Sam did not seem to like people responding to his last article by referencing the current Grantland piece.

Of course, this was the headline and lede of the NY Post report of the game.

I think part of Sam's point was that the Cousins incident wasn't even reported--perhaps a dig at his former bosses?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Of course, this was the headline and lede of the NY Post report of the game.

I think part of Sam's point was that the Cousins incident wasn't even reported--perhaps a dig at his former bosses?
I think the larger question is whether ANY of this stuff should be routinely reported...by anything but a rag like the NY Post I suppose.

Fans are the instigators in almost every case here. I struggle to remember a time when a player just walked out on the court and before the ball was tipped unleashed a profanity filled tirade at a random fan. Rather the most obnoxious fans are like that little pipsqueak who yaps and yaps and gets in guy's faces because he's out with his much larger friends in a public setting and knows he can get away with it. Then if any trouble starts because of it the media comes to the poor little dear's defense. Then of course we move on to the "I paid for this dinner so I can be as abusive to the waitress as I want to be" excuse for why buying a ticket means you get to be a jackass with no consequences.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
do you have a link to his response handy?
Seems like he's sent it out several times, usually in response to the Grantland article being tweeted to him.

@sam_amick: You haven't a clue how much legwork has gone into my view of Cousins over 3 yrs,do you? Do your own homework 1st, then report back

Seems like he's sent it out several times, usually in response to the Grantland article being tweeted to him.

@sam_amick: You haven't a clue how much legwork has gone into my view of Cousins over 3 yrs,do you? Do your own homework 1st, then report back
thanks!

I am a twitter ingnorati and I searched Amick's tweets going back a couple days and couldn't find anything.
you'd have to look up Sam's mentions and even then you'll have to use some more advanced search options. apparently it's easier if you use a program like tweetdeck, but that's way more effort than I'm willing to put in. I'll just take Spike's word for it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
thanks!

you'd have to look up Sam's mentions and even then you'll have to use some more advanced search options. apparently it's easier if you use a program like tweetdeck, but that's way more effort than I'm willing to put in. I'll just take Spike's word for it.
Are you sure Spike can be trusted? ;)

tweetdeck? Oh dear me.