Say it isn't true Matt!

If this assessment was true he wouldn't have an ORtg of 92 and DRtg of 109 (-17). If he was valuable utility guy why does the team pretty much stink when he is on the floor? Rhetorical question. The answer is for every two good plays you assign him credit for, he makes 3-4 bad plays including (1) terrible shooting (2) risky passing, and (3) missed defensive assignments.

A-Slow-o has been really bad for us this year too. But to contrast, A-Slow-o has made only 4 turnovers to Barnes 37 turnovers. This high raw number is in the context of 1.4 assist to turnover ratio. A wing player should be 2:1 assist to turnover or they are making more poor decisions with their passes than good ones, and this inefficiency contributes to his negative NET rating of -17.
There's a basketball argument that can be made but that defeats the main point of my post anyway.

It shouldn't matter whether Barnes is having a good or bad year statistically when it comes to finding the facts of this situation and dealing with it appropriately.

If your argument is "he's terrible, we should cut him right now" that's both morally repugnant (if he was putting up better numbers you wouldn't be in favor of this action?) and overly reactionary given that the facts of the matter haven't come out.

Last edited:
Barnes is averaging a 1.9 turnovers per game (career high) with his stupid low percentage passes. He is throwing a wrench into the offense more than greasing it. His net contribution is stunningly bad, because he's a high risk player, offensively and defensively, and his risks backfire more often than succeed. Barnes never saw a shot he didn't want to jack, a risky pass he didn't want to thread through the eye of a needle, or a risky steal he didn't want to go for and leave the defense exposed. Look at his NET rating (-17). Pure garbage! I know you like this guy for his no-holds-barred approach to the game. I like gritty players too. But he's done. We signed him 2-3 years too late.
If he's as bad as you say he is, you would think the stats would reflect that...

At this point in his career, Barnes probably should be the 8th-10th man in the rotation rather than being 4th-6th in minutes per game on a team. It's a little unfair to criticize a player when unrealistic expectations are assigned to him.

Barnes is not garbage. His shooting has been awful, but he's not garbage. There is more to the game of basketball than shooting percentages. Barnes has a -0.84 RPM (good for 183rd in the league and 6th on our team). If you want to talk about garbage, I'd look no further than someone like Cauley-Stein who is 382nd in the league in this metric while also carrying an on/off of -13.7 points.

Barnes also has the 7th best on/off on the team (-0.9 pts). That's not to say that 7th is great, but it just goes to show that there are players on our team that are worse. These players should be more to blame as well as the coaches rotations and the lack of talent we have at this point in time.

Lastly, looking at just net rating is missing part of the puzzle because you're only looking at what happens when he's on the court (not when he is off of it).

Just wondering, because I don't think it will happen, but what are the Salary Cap ramifications if we were to cut Barnes, is there some sort of morality clause?

The effects of alcohol magnifies personality and character traits already there. So if a person is inclined to a certain way of thinking or acting. the loss of inhibition increases the inclination that thought or behavior will manifest. Barnes has a history of being triggered to acts of aggression where others do not. There is no grey area here.
I would be careful about making blanket statements about alcohol or alcoholism.

There's a basketball argument that can be made but that defeats the main point of my post anyway.

It shouldn't matter whether Barnes is having a good or bad year statistically when it comes to finding the facts of this situation and dealing with it appropriately.

If your argument is "he's terrible, we should cut him right now" that's both morally repugnant (if he was putting up better numbers you wouldn't be in favor of this action?) and overly reactionary given that the facts of the matter haven't come out.
I don't know what happened in the club, but odds of 100% innocence correspond approximately to the cheap and dirty fouls he's committed over his career. Hint: Its been more than one. The guy is a hot head with a history of hot headedness. Who's fooling who here? I am not saying he was not in the wrong place at wrong time and partial victim of circumstances, but trouble has a way of following Matt Barnes and this is not an accident.

Independent of what happened, which I agree needs to sorted out with facts brought to light, Barnes is not a guy you want to extend too much of a leash, because what you are getting in exchange for this latitude is bricks, careless passes, and missed defensive assignments. He's not a short or long-term solution to anything whether angel or provocateur. He's old and can't shoot. He's playing on fumes. He's a passing ship in the night a la Rondo and Marco until a more permanent solution can be found.

I would be careful about making blanket statements about alcohol or alcoholism.
I didn't make any reference to alcoholism. Alcohol lowers inhibition. This is fact. Lowered inhibition increases inclination i.e. tendency to express predominant personality and character traits. This is also fact. Barnes has a history of aggression. This is also fact. I don't need to be careful about expressing facts.

I have never heard "stole" used that way. Here is how the urban dictionary describes the word

stole
To punch someone in the face
I stole him after when he started talking trash about mi mama.

If this is the case bad judgement by Cuz considering his hand is already hurt
Nope it's "I stole on him because he was talking real disrespectful about me"

K

KingMilz

Don't really care what happened to Barnes but my concern is what and if Cousins did anything him getting suspended would pretty much end the season that's already on the brink, I never really understood night clubs they really seem to be a place for mainly parasitical and unhappy people running away from there problems using drugs/alcohol.

Will wait for the facts to come out before judging it's still only alleged to often the main stream/entertainment media is full of lying crap always taking women's/minorities side regardless of what occurred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brick no offense but it sounds like we may have been raised differently. Under no circumstances do you put hands on a female. I'm going to guess you don't have daughters.
Sorry, but this isn't a black and white subject. I hate fighting, and especially when it's between a man and a woman. I don't know how often you go to bars, but drunk people can get very violent, and women tend to fight dirty. I have seen to many times when 2 guys get into a fight and the girlfriend of one of them decides to attack from behind. Often using their nails and biting. At that point, it no longer matters that she is female, the guy has a right to fight back.

Of course, we don't know what happened, so it is all just speculation at this point.

uh oh

and you really can't have Matt Barnes pulling DMC down into his sordid little world. I frankly don't mind so much if he is off being an idiot in a bar himself, because that's who he is and you anticipate such dumbassery. But you can't pull the franchise down into it too.

Cousins is an adult. He's needs to be held responsible for whatever he does.

He earns $15,000,000 a year using his hands and doesn't think twice about breaking one of them on some guys face on in the middle of another losing season?.. Sorry, but I think I'm done with him after this.

He earns $15,000,000 a year using his hands and doesn't think twice about breaking one of them on some guys face on in the middle of another losing season?.. Sorry, but I think I'm done with him after this.

"Well did you punch him with your right hand or your left?"

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Well this is quickly circling the drain. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. It's going to take a miraculous turn around both on the court and off for sure now.

I really feel like this is the official start of panic mode and pitchforks. Our routine kingsfans holiday
There could be a basis for panic mode. Let's suppose Vlade and Co due their due diligence and conclude Barnes was partially at fault for what went down. Even if he was 10% or 20% or 50% or whatever....and decide "hey poor judgment, we can't have this negative behavior and influence and waive him". Well, Boogie was there. He saw what went down. He was pretty hyped in the TMZ video and seemed proud of the physical altercation. So Barnes get cut and Boogie all of the sudden portrays this front office as "disloyal" and not standing in the corner of a player he befriended and respected. This is the problem the Kings could be up against, doing the right thing versus alienating a guy that can walk in a year and a half. The alternate is to pretend to care about player behavior but implicitly condone this type of activity and further alienate a (large) portion of their fan base.

Why is DMC even surrounding himself with Barnes? Everyone knows the type of person Barnes is off the court.
No. 1 - Cuz likes Barnes (and as I understand it bajaden knows and likes Barnes).

No. 2 - what "type of person Barnes is" ? Nice guy? Quality morals? As far as I know, YES.

Sorry, but this isn't a black and white subject. I hate fighting, and especially when it's between a man and a woman. I don't know how often you go to bars, but drunk people can get very violent, and women tend to fight dirty. I have seen to many times when 2 guys get into a fight and the girlfriend of one of them decides to attack from behind. Often using their nails and biting. At that point, it no longer matters that she is female, the guy has a right to fight back.

Of course, we don't know what happened, so it is all just speculation at this point.
I'm sure 6'7" Matt Barnes was frightened by a female who was probably 1.5 ft shorter.

Sorry, but I think I'm done with him after this.
Sorry, but BS like this is one of many things wrong in this world. Especially in today's age where everyone sits on a moral fence passing judgement on social media. Gross overreaction. Rush to judgement w/o all the facts. Pure and simple. Worst yet, no tolerance at all.

Say what you want about Cuz the basketball player. If you don't like him for what he does in his professional life as a member of the Sacramento Kings, fine. But the dude has never been directly involved in anything off the court other than positive things. Not one. And you're done with him because he may have got into a fight? Good grief.

I can't for the life of me figure out how your still a sports fan considering an overwhelming majority of players and personnel in ALL sports have done far worse in their personal lives than get into a bar fight.

I'm sure 6'7" Matt Barnes was frightened by a female who was probably 1.5 ft shorter.
That really isn't the point. A statement was made that it is NEVER appropriate for a man to use physical force against a woman. I was pointing out that he was wrong. In this case, it would appear that there were both men and women involved. When attacked by multiple people (if Barnes' reps' account is accurate), size is no longer a big advantage.

Shocker:

Footage of the incident obtained by investigators appears to show Barnes was the assailant, according to a person with knowledge of the investigation who is not authorized to speak publicly because the investigation is ongoing.

Shocker:

Footage of the incident obtained by investigators appears to show Barnes was the assailant, according to a person with knowledge of the investigation who is not authorized to speak publicly because the investigation is ongoing.
It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. My first thought when I saw the headline was that somebody in the club was talking **** to Barnes about (former Knick's HC) Derek Fisher and Barnes' ex-wife and it escalated from there.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Shocker:

That was in the initial story btw...by TMZ.

Now how accurate it turns out to be given that TMZ has been following Barnes around full paparazzi style ever since the Fisher thing, we'll have to see.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
so first you have Collison in the news and getting suspended 8 games for his incident. Then to top it off, this comes out and to make things worse, Cousins reportedly had himself a night too. So much for a culture change huh?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
So is Cousins is an idiot? Didn't his bragging just implicate himself in an assault and most likely open himself up for at least a civil suit? smh.