Sacramento Kings to decline extending qualifying offer to Ben McLemore.

What's the over/under for him being in the league next year? I was a big Mclemore supporter for the simple fact that he was a good kid, played and worked hard but he just doesn't have it. I'm not sure I have ever seen an athlete be so uncoordinated either..?

What's the over/under for him being in the league next year? I was a big Mclemore supporter for the simple fact that he was a good kid, played and worked hard but he just doesn't have it. I'm not sure I have ever seen an athlete be so uncoordinated either..?
He's gonna be in the league next season for sure.

If you meant the season after this one coming up, I'd say its over 50%.

I don't think he is uncoordinated, just bad ball handling skills for a guard.

I'd say its almost a guarantee that he will be in the league. His numbers post Cousins trade were almost identical to Buddy's. He just needs to be in the right situation where ball handling is not allowed from him.

I'd say its almost a guarantee that he will be in the league. His numbers post Cousins trade were almost identical to Buddy's. He just needs to be in the right situation where ball handling is not allowed from him.

UNLESS he goes full out J.R Smith mode I just don't see him being in the league past this coming season every season there is a new crop of guys coming for your spot. There's just a ton he can't do on the floor.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Good luck, McBen.

I hope he goes to the Spurs and turns into the player he's capable of. He has all the talent, it's all between the ears with him. I think the GOAT coach can teach him to be what he can be.

When someone is that bad as a rookie, there is no coming back

He was horrible as a rookie, and a lot still maintained hope after that. Usually you can tell after a rookie season the trajectory

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, I think Ben probably had his best year last year. Forget the stats. He was far more aggressive on the floor and actually looked like a pro SG at times. I do think a team will pick him up to see if his improvement continues. For the Kings it was too little too late. I wish him well, and hope he finds his place in the league.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Seems like a nice person but he sure was soft, sure had a sweet looking shot but he missed a crap ton of open looks, very disappointing pick for us.

I'm not going to apologize for at best mediocre talent Ben McLemore. IMO wasted high draft pick and still see giddy Vivek fist pumping in war room as KU sharpshooter "fell" to Kings. His shot in NBA far too inconsistent when that supposedly #1 calling card. Why couldn't "All-American" dude shoot at NBA level?

I say all on him not the franchise - except for drafting him. Weak handles never allowed McLemore secondary attack off the dribble. Occasional flashing inside lane but to often blown finish. Basically one-dimensional, easy to guard. Got pushed around way too much defensive end looking unsteady, confused on his assignments. Low BBIQ, and we sure don't need that going forward. Huge disappointment to say the least. Won't be missed at all by this Kings fan, good guy or not.

Last edited:
Isn't it 4? Or are you counting one for Collison or Lawson??
Actually I'm pretty sure it's 5. The rosters have expanded to 17 with the introduction of two-way G-League contracts..

Bogdanovic
Koufos
Temple
WCS
Buddy
Fox
Papagiannis
Jackson
Richardson
Labissiere
Giles
Mason

Is 12, which leaves 5.. (Unless I'm missing someone)

Actually I'm pretty sure it's 5. The rosters have expanded to 17 with the introduction of two-way G-League contracts..

Bogdanovic
Koufos
Temple
WCS
Buddy
Fox
Papagiannis
Jackson
Richardson
Labissiere
Giles
Mason

Is 12, which leaves 5.. (Unless I'm missing someone)

Ah, didn't know it was 17 now.

IMO wasted high draft pick
This is pretty much a fact.. So many quality players went off the board after him, it might seem odd but Dennis Schroder was the one I really couldn't wrap my mind around (why teams like Utah and Philly had Burke and MCW rated higher) falling like that and TBH I still can't. He seemed like a top-5 talent to me.

Funny bit is I'm sure they felt Ben was the safe pick at the time, and there were so many who thought Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, who's much better/more reliable, was a reach with the very next pick. Ultimately this was a big failure in scouting for sure. IMO they were hunting for safe pick when there was franchise changers on the board (Giannis and Gobert)

If someone were to compile list of historic draft debacles in Sacramento Kings era would be mind-blowing shocking. So many misses monumental proportions, from Kawhi L. to Giannis A. and on and on. That was one reason made lot of sense this time around Vlade taking calculated risk swapping pick 10 for picks 15 and 20. Spreading risk in that two for one. Still might not work but with Kings history of blowing such big chances we need to do everything possible to stack some odds in our favor.