sacbee: Peja isn't going anywhere - at least not yet

sloter said:
$ rules America and there is nothing new here.
Unfortunately, $ isn't just powerful in America alone. And I wouldn't agree to your statement that money rules America. (I guess this topic is for a forum that does not exist on this board at the moment.)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
sloter said:
If there is one single player in all of the NBA for who we could say it's not all about business, we all know, that would be Vlade.
However, it turned out to be pure business for both him and Kings management. So much about love for the fans, for the teammates and the city.
$ rules America and there is nothing new here.
I absolutely adored Vlade Divac, but you really don't want to start talking about Vlade in this situation.

His work ethic was suspect at best. He rarely came to camp in shape, and he wasn't exactly a regular at the practice facility.

On the other hand, he was beloved by virtually everyone. He was always doing something within the Sacramento community. He did have a love for the fans, his teammates and the city.

You can't fault him for making a decision at the end of his career to go back to where it all started, especially when they offered him more money. He never hid how he felt, and he certainly didn't go overseas and whine about how he'd been treated by the Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From VF21 MODERATOR - Please refrain from turning this discussion into something political. Thank you.

Heuge said:
Unfortunately, $ isn't just powerful in America alone. And I wouldn't agree to your statement that money rules America. (I guess this topic is for a forum that does not exist on this board at the moment.)
Sorry for using America as example. Didn't mean to start anything political.
Well, to me it's pretty clear that money does rule in professional sports, and in my opinion, it rules in most of the areas of capitalistic world (again, no negative conotation here). It's just the way the world is.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Money may be a predominant factor, but once you're as rich as Croesus, it takes a back seat for a lot of these guys. They are being paid obscene amounts of money - more than they'll spend in 10 lifetimes. So, for them, it becomes more about the game - the play and the players. Kings fans are lucky; we have a lot of players who truly love the game and have a very strong competitive spirit.

Right now, I have the feeling Peja is playing for the money and himself. That's fine, if that's his wont. It just isn't going to endear him to a lot of hard-core fans.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Just went trough Serbian press which also covered this event (media day). They pretty much base their reports on Sacbee and all other media.
One could pretty much sum everything up in on quote which might or might not come from Peja.

"I still want to leave but I will not run away"

again - it could very well be "pharaphrased" or "disorted" but considering everything else that was written in the last couple days - It could be true.

VF21 said:
Whatever.

Peja whined when Hedo was traded, and he virtually threw a tizzy-fit when Vlade chose to go to the Lakers. Even Vlade remarked about Peja's trade demand, with a "Well, he can't come to LA with me." That was during a game broadcast...

When SOME OF US choose to put all the blame for poor little Peja's problems on someone other than Peja himself, they do a disservice to the entire Kings team.

Did you read all the reports of the interviews? It has been reported FREQUENTLY that the entire team, minus Peja, has been meeting for about two weeks now, starting to get back into the groove. Peja chose not to do so.

Why? Because he was terrified of the big mean bully Webber? Give me a break.

To Peja, this is obviously just a business ... and that's fine. But to me and a lot of other Kings fans, the KINGS are a lot more than just a team. They are a way of life and WE will choose to support those players who are actively interested in being the best they can be and want to play in Sacramento. If Peja wants to go elsewhere, I wish him well. And, as Bricklayer said, if and when Petrie decides to move him, it won't be because it's best for Peja's career. :rolleyes: It will be because it's best for the Sacramento Kings!

/rant
This
I do not get. Pedja has in the past been the ultimate professional. He is the one who was the first person to practice and one of the last to leave. This I agree is a little different concerning the chemistry. He may not have shown up for the optoinal team meetings does not mean he does not care about the Kings and the fans it is quite the opposite. He is doing want your summer mantra was "shut up and just play" he came to play. The talking part is due to the reporters asking the questions. If you know anything about Pedja you atleast will know he will come out in play.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
ReinadelosReys said:
Sure the average ones do, but for the great ones -the legends- its more than just a job.
Exactly! To be the best is a passion. If it is only a job, you will most likely NOT be a superstar...or an All-Star. Only a few talented individuals will ever be GREAT without that passion to be the best possible basketball player.

And, AFAIC, anyone who does not love the game and have a passion for it...well, you can have em.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
allrightythen said:
I'd say its delusional to think that players take basketball as anything more than a business.
If you think that, you obviously haven't been around many players. When you see a player crumple to the floor in anguish over a missed shot at the buzzer, it's not about business. When you see teammates jumping up and down with joy at the end of a game, it's not about business. When you see a player showing up at the practice facility and shooting free throws for hours on end, it's not about business.

These guys are living a dream. They're actually being paid to play a game that, for many of them, is something they would do for free if they had to. If you think it's just about business, you are missing a lot...