sacbee: kings notes --christie, bobby, and greg

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/10948921p-11866251c.html

Kings notes: Christie is stepping gingerly

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, October 2, 2004

Doug Christie wasn't himself Friday. He didn't bound across the floor from one photo shoot to the next, and didn't move very crisply at all.

The veteran Kings guard - the defensive heart and soul of the franchise - walks gingerly because he has the dreaded plantar fasciitis, meaning tenderness on the soft tissue under his foot.

Rest and treatment are about Christie's only hope, and he'll sit out training camp. He expects to be ready by the first week of the regular season.

"I'd wake up feeling good some days and then wake up and the foot felt like it was on fire on other days," Christie said. "From my understanding, once I'm healed, I should be OK. I'm going to take it easy. I'm already walking better. At first, it was just a limp."

Christie said his foot really started to bother him in the Dallas playoff series last spring. And to understand Christie's competitive nature is to understand you'd have to cut the limb off before he deemed himself too hurt to play.

"It was kind of like an ankle sprain," he said. "If I pushed it and pushed it, I'd aggravate it. I don't see this as being a problem. I'm a pretty fast healer. I could have shut it down (against Dallas), but it was the playoffs. I had to play."

Big on Bobby - Coach Rick Adelman is impressed with what he has seen from guard Bobby Jackson, who missed the last third of the season because of a lower abdominal strain.

"Bobby looks great," Adelman said. "He looks fearless.

"I realized what we missed in the playoffs. He's the same old Bobby - a pain in the butt and complaining."

Greg the comedian - The Kings might have lost some offensive skills with the free-agent departure of Vlade Divac, but in Greg Ostertag, they have plenty of defensive clout and a lot of humor.

The former Utah Jazz center reviled in the media-day moment, cracking jokes, rolling with gags like a guy auditioning for an improv gig. When asked by Bryan May of News 10 if he and fellow hunting and fishing fanatic Brad Miller were "cut from the same cloth," Ostertag shot him a quick glance, smiled and blurted, "You want to get shot?"

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
LMM said:
The former Utah Jazz center reviled in the media-day moment, cracking jokes, rolling with gags like a guy auditioning for an improv gig. When asked by Bryan May of News 10 if he and fellow hunting and fishing fanatic Brad Miller were "cut from the same cloth," Ostertag shot him a quick glance, smiled and blurted, "You want to get shot?"
Why do I picture a truck pull between these two as halftime entertainment?