Ryan Anderson?

I felt like we may have dodged a bullet with this signing last year. But at least then we were in win now. I don't see how this helps us long term.

Guess it all depends on the sweeteners Houston has to throw in/how bad they want to dump the salary. If not Anderson, possibly Portland wants to unload a contract along with some throw-in gifts? ;)

Why would you not take M. Leonard? Depending on what came back our way I would consider almost anything.
Too many years on his contract. Right now it appears we have twelve slots taken. A spare PG (starting or otherwise) and a starting caliber SF are still needed leaving only one slot for everything else.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I really don't want us signing or trading for ANY vet big.

KK is going to get 20+ minutes a game, and I'm fine with that.

The rest of that PT needs to go towards developing WCS, Skal, and Papa. Maybe even Giles, if he's ready.

Anderson is too old for our timeline, has too many years on his contract, is pretty one dimensional, and overpaid. Pass!

This rumor/report pre-dated the Paul trade. I doubt it's a live issue now, unless they think they can sign someone better (like Millsap?) with the space.

I would have wanted one or more of the things the Rockets just traded to LA for Chris Paul: Dekker, Beverley and/or their 2018 1st rounder.

I like Anderson but I wouldn't do the Rockets a favor for free.
The earliest 1st rounder that Houston can offer now is the 2020.

We don't have any use for Anderson,I'd definitely pass.

Get me a small forward (like Moe Harkless) and a 1st round pick in a salary dump, this would be more useful to the Kings rebuild.

Too many years on his contract. Right now it appears we have twelve slots taken. A spare PG (starting or otherwise) and a starting caliber SF are still needed leaving only one slot for everything else.
Leonard is pure negative value right now if the return is sweet enough we could flat out waive him. Of course that's an extreme option but the point I'm trying to make is we have so much flexibility right now we should consider every option.

Leonard is pure negative value right now if the return is sweet enough we could flat out waive him. Of course that's an extreme option but the point I'm trying to make is we have so much flexibility right now we should consider every option.
Haha ok if we got two #1 pics and swap rights for 5 years I would consider Leonard so long as we waived him before he even boarded the plane at PDX.

I wouldn't mind taking on Ariza as a veteran SF. He's also got one year left on Joan current deal if I'm not mistaken, and if they are going after Melo or George, he's a candidate to be heading out the door unless they keep him for the bench.

I can see the appeal of Anderson with his 3 pt shooting, but that contract isn't great. I'd be wanting their 2020 first round pick unprotected to even consider it. Him and Skal would be a decent rotation, though does Anderson fit what we want from a defensive standpoint? Not really. Good shooter, but not great defensively and on a horrid contract.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not on board. His salary is inflated and he's had serious injuries. I'm not convinced Joerger even wants a stretch 4.
Well he's only had one serious injury in his career, and it came from a collision with Gerald Wallace, resulting in a neck injury that required surgery. He missed the rest of that season, and part of the next season. Everything else was of a minor variety. He had a sprained ankle and missed 9 games in 2010. He had a sprained knee in 2015 and missed a few weeks. And he had a sports hernia which required surgery. None of the injuries were career threatening. Last year he was injury free.

My point is, most of his injuries were of the accidental type, like stepping on another players foot, or a collision.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd much rather take Portland's garbage as long as it's not named Meyers Leonard and includes a first round pick in the next two years.
The thing is, we have a need at the PF position and we don't have a need for anyone on the Portland team, at least position wise. Anderson is a good player than can actually help the team. I admit that I'm biased. I love Ryan Anderson. The dude can shoot the ball, and he's a good rebounder if you ask him to be. He's been asked to play on the perimeter for the most part, but he's a very capable post player. It's almost as if he's being penalized for being a good shooter.

The thing is, we have a need at the PF position and we don't have a need for anyone on the Portland team, at least position wise. Anderson is a good player than can actually help the team. I admit that I'm biased. I love Ryan Anderson. The dude can shoot the ball, and he's a good rebounder if you ask him to be. He's been asked to play on the perimeter for the most part, but he's a very capable post player. It's almost as if he's being penalized for being a good shooter.
We do still have a need at SF. So the Trail Blazers do have Turner, Crabbe and Harkless to try and tempt us. Though whether we would want to take on one of those contracts is debatable.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think Anderson would be a nice piece for the team but I agree that there has to be sweeteners. I just don't see it happening as Houstonis getting tapped out of talent to move that won't affect the chance to win. If we are holding out for multiple sweeteners from teams to take on a contract....playing hardball.....then good for the FO.

Nugget buried in Lowe's story on the Houston-Clippers trade:

Unloading Ryan Anderson to sign Paul outright would have helped Houston keep one of their outgoing guards, but the market for the three years and $60 million left on Anderson's deal was frigid. Not even the Kings wanted him for free. At least two teams would have demanded two Houston first-round picks in exchange for absorbing Anderson, according to several league sources.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...paul-james-harden-running-houston-rockets-nba

Well he's only had one serious injury in his career, and it came from a collision with Gerald Wallace, resulting in a neck injury that required surgery. He missed the rest of that season, and part of the next season. Everything else was of a minor variety. He had a sprained ankle and missed 9 games in 2010. He had a sprained knee in 2015 and missed a few weeks. And he had a sports hernia which required surgery. None of the injuries were career threatening. Last year he was injury free.

My point is, most of his injuries were of the accidental type, like stepping on another players foot, or a collision.
He's clearly lost a step and would only lose more agility during the remainder of his deal. If we were to bring him in I would hope we would receive more incentives along with him.