Rudy Gay to Sacramento!!!

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It just dawned on me that I have neither insulted nor ridiculed you recently. I apologize most profusely and promise to do better.
Maybe I can bait you into it....

I propose we bring back Keith Smart as our top assistant and allow him to instill an offense which better uses guys 6-12 on our roster as well as hopefully mix up the sub patterns a bit more in the hope of confusing our opponent, lulling them into a false sense of security we can take advantage of.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Maybe I can bait you into it....

I propose we bring back Keith Smart as our top assistant and allow him to instill an offense which better uses guys 6-12 on our roster as well as hopefully mix up the sub patterns a bit more in the hope of confusing our opponent, lulling them into a false sense of security we can take advantage of.
Nah, too obvious. ;)

Plus I defy anyone to even find Keith Smart. Isn't he still collecting $$$ from his contract with the Maloofs? He's probably sitting somewhere sipping Margaritas and laughing his arse off.

gunks

Hall of Famer
We were going to lose Evans anyway, since the FO made it abundantly clear they were not going to match NO's offer. As others have pointed out, this trade in essence means we got Gay for Evans AND got rid of Salmons and Hayes in the process. ;)
Quite being so "Glass half full", I'm trying to temper my expectations here! :p

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
http://nba.si.com/2013/12/09/rudy-gay-trade-grades-toronto-raptors-sacramento-kings/?xid=nl_siextra

Toronto receives an A for the trade and the Kings receive a D+... You know what? I can live with that, especially since the analysis fails to address several key points that we Kings fans have already discussed. :)
The problem with the analysis is the assumption that Sac made the move to get good now, which most analysts assume was the goal of the move. This trade will likely NOT make the team much better but it is hard to see how it makes us worse. Kings come up the big winner if one of two things happen: A. Gay accepts his new diminished role as a 2nd or 3rd option shooting from the wings, and develops into a role player. Or B, Gay decides he wants out or wants more money and opts out of his last year giving us an additional 19 million to sign or resign FAs. The risk of course is C, that Gay may not accept his new roll but exercises his 19 mill option. I like our odds on A and B.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Malone:

But in Rudy Gay, you get a 6’10, versatile scorer. And I know everybody’s hung up on his 38 percent this year, but if you look at his numbers throughout his career, he’s shot well over 45 percent a number of seasons. So I’m not as concerned as a lot of these analytic people get concerned about (Rudy). He’s a very talented player. End of games, he can make plays for you. He’s versatile. He can score in the post, handling the ball, catch-and-shoot, isolation, so he’s talented and we’ve become a much more talented team with him.

Aaron Gray is a guy that I coached in New Orleans. I have some history with Aaron. He’s got a high IQ for a big guy, very physical, a solid rebounder and he’s a guy that I know every night will go out there and follow the gameplan and he’s got great gameplan discipline. And then in Quincy Acy, you have an undersized power forward, who has a tremendous motor. (He’s) very high energy and is also an excellent rebounder if you look at his per 48 averages. So, we’re excited to have all three of those guys. We thank the four guys that have left. We wish them nothing but the best and I’m hoping we’ll be able to get our new guys for Wednesday night against Utah."

#SacKings GM Pete D'Alessandro on the importance of looking at Rudy Gay's statistical production in context:

Critics of the Kings' acquisition of Rudy Gay point to his high usage rate and low shooting efficiency. I asked the Kings GM how important it is to look at Gay's numbers in the position he was put in the last few years.

"Very important," D'Alessandro said. "That’s a great question. I read everything that everyone reads. We have our processes too and we see things differently. That’s just the nature of that ever-growing and ever-expanding game. We look at him differently than maybe others do. I feel like a lot of times with certain players, it’s where they’re getting the ball, it’s where they’re scoring, it’s the position they’re put in. And I think we have a good idea, we’re talking as a staff a little bit, we have a good idea of what positions that we’d like to put him in."

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
And, Rudy Gay:

Gay’s thoughts on joining the Kings:

Excited to say the least. I have a couple guys with me that came with me. It’s a new beginning. I’ve been saying it all day. Obviously, they have a lot of young pieces and I’m glad to be a part of it.

The 27-year-old forward on what he knows about his new team:

Well, obviously DeMarcus (Cousins). He’s a great player. He’s been a great player for a couple years now and he’s taken that leap. (They have a) new coach. Aaron Gray actually played for him, so he knows a lot about him. Other than that, we haven’t played them yet this year so I don’t know much other than that.

Gay on how happy is to get a fresh start in Sacramento:

I am. I’m very excited. Just being in a new jersey, new organization after kind of a rough patch in Toronto, I think it’s gonna be a good start for me.

Gay on if he expected to be traded by the Raptors:

It wasn’t a surprise. I think timing was surprising to me, but I wasn’t surprised at all. I pretty much knew what direction the organization was going to go in.

Gay on Kings fans:

Well I’ve known (Sacramento) is always known for having loud and rowdy fans and I’m glad they’re on my side now.

http://cowbellkingdom.com/2013/12/09/rudy-gay-aaron-gray-quincy-acy-on-trade-to-sacramento-kings/

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Malone:

But in Rudy Gay, you get a 6’10, versatile scorer. And I know everybody’s hung up on his 38 percent this year, but if you look at his numbers throughout his career, he’s shot well over 45 percent a number of seasons. So I’m not as concerned as a lot of these analytic people get concerned about (Rudy). He’s a very talented player. End of games, he can make plays for you. He’s versatile. He can score in the post, handling the ball, catch-and-shoot, isolation, so he’s talented and we’ve become a much more talented team with him.

Aaron Gray is a guy that I coached in New Orleans. I have some history with Aaron. He’s got a high IQ for a big guy, very physical, a solid rebounder and he’s a guy that I know every night will go out there and follow the gameplan and he’s got great gameplan discipline. And then in Quincy Acy, you have an undersized power forward, who has a tremendous motor. (He’s) very high energy and is also an excellent rebounder if you look at his per 48 averages. So, we’re excited to have all three of those guys. We thank the four guys that have left. We wish them nothing but the best and I’m hoping we’ll be able to get our new guys for Wednesday night against Utah."

#SacKings GM Pete D'Alessandro on the importance of looking at Rudy Gay's statistical production in context:

Critics of the Kings' acquisition of Rudy Gay point to his high usage rate and low shooting efficiency. I asked the Kings GM how important it is to look at Gay's numbers in the position he was put in the last few years.

"Very important," D'Alessandro said. "That’s a great question. I read everything that everyone reads. We have our processes too and we see things differently. That’s just the nature of that ever-growing and ever-expanding game. We look at him differently than maybe others do. I feel like a lot of times with certain players, it’s where they’re getting the ball, it’s where they’re scoring, it’s the position they’re put in. And I think we have a good idea, we’re talking as a staff a little bit, we have a good idea of what positions that we’d like to put him in."
You forgot the link to where you got this.

Good to hear it sounds like the Front Office and Coach have discussed where Rudy is effective on offense. Dwayne Casey was basically doing a Tyreke Evans experiment with him in Toronto.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Said the KingsFan to the Masai, "My goodness Grandma, what big teeth you have!" The Wolf said "All the better to smile at you my dear fan."

The following article by sports writer Michael Grange puts quite a reality spin on what two former cohorts at Denver have pulled off. His spin on Gay sure was different than what I thought. Maybe PDA feels Sheriff Malone can pull off Gay's transition.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/gay-trade-signfies-start-of-true-raptors-rebuild/

The Trade Exception means that you can take back extra salary in trade equal to that of the Trade Exception. Greivas' Trade Exception is worth 2.1 million. So they can buffer any single trade by 2.1m.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The Trade Exception means that you can take back extra salary in trade equal to that of the Trade Exception. Greivas' Trade Exception is worth 2.1 million. So they can buffer any single trade by 2.1m.
I think there is allowed 15% in either direction, right? Is the $2.1 mil added to the 15%?

If having IT on the floor makes it impossible to get Cousins the ball, then yes, you have a major problem. I don't buy into that thinking, however. At least not yet. And if IT and Cousins can't coexist on the floor together for some reason, I don't see IT having a problem coming off the bench. It's not like he's had a problem so far, so why do we want to borrow trouble and posit such a thing to begin with?
What is a trade exception eh, Section 101?
It's a salary slot where you can trade the exception for a player.

After reading some comments from Raptors fans that go farther than just "Gay sucks!" it seems like Raptors had the same problem as Kings last year: Lowry, Derozan and Gay playing for themselves and fighting over who gets the ball. Williams, McLemore and JT may have higher usage rate than you would like playing with ball-dominant PG and C but they are off-the-ball players for the most part. Gay is very much a creator, it's how he's used to play. Malone has a huge problem to deal with.

After reading some comments from Raptors fans that go farther than just "Gay sucks!" it seems like Raptors had the same problem as Kings last year: Lowry, Derozan and Gay playing for themselves and fighting over who gets the ball. Williams, McLemore and JT may have higher usage rate than you would like playing with ball-dominant PG and C but they are off-the-ball players for the most part. Gay is very much a creator, it's how he's used to play. Malone has a huge problem to deal with.
Doesn't every team and coach have challenges to find what works with their roster? I'm happy to have a lot more talent with our challenge ahead

One thing you can not criticize Rudy on is being clutch. the guy has probably hit more game winners than anyone in the league besides Kobe.
That's the "X factor" with him. He wants the ball at the end of games and he has the experience to get the job done. Regardless of what stats may or may not be, there's only a few closers around who always want the ball and have proven more than once or twice, that they can win the game. Gay is one of those select few