Rudy Gay and Darren Collison are both out tonight vs the Pelicans

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I'm still looking forward to the game. I think having Rudy sit this one out may partially be so that he's rested for the next three.

Maybe this is the "third time is a charm" where Derrick Williams disproves my opinion of him.

Let's try to look at potential positives. Maybe Williams plays a lot of the mins at 3, and will shock everyone building his trade value. A strategy from DR Evil's playbook. Then Nik gets hot at torches them for 15.

1) The Pelicans had Casspi in the offseason as a throw-in on the Asik trade and waived him. This despite their SF position being a festering cesspit of misery and woe where they are forced to choose between Salmons and playing Tyreke out of position at the three (sound familiar?) It would be great for Casspi to have a good game (even a nice roleplayer game) to stick it to them for choosing John effing Salmons over him.

2) The point guard is going to be a problem. Jrue is getting back to pre-injury form and really clicking with Davis. I have zero confidence in Sessions to even stay within spitting distance if Collison sits and Collison is going to have a problem with Holliday's size.

3) Asik is also questionable for the game, which means that Cousins should be able to wreck Ajinca inside. It is going to be a question of which team's key injury hurts them more. I am going with Asik as he is basically the only guy with a prayer of containing Cousins.

Great it'
1) The Pelicans had Casspi in the offseason as a throw-in on the Asik trade and waived him. This despite their SF position being a festering cesspit of misery and woe where they are forced to choose between Salmons and playing Tyreke out of position at the three (sound familiar?) It would be great for Casspi to have a good game (even a nice roleplayer game) to stick it to them for choosing John effing Salmons over him.

2) The point guard is going to be a problem. Jrue is getting back to pre-injury form and really clicking with Davis. I have zero confidence in Sessions to even stay within spitting distance if Collison sits and Collison is going to have a problem with Holliday's size.

3) Asik is also questionable for the game, which means that Cousins should be able to wreck Ajinca inside. It is going to be a question of which team's key injury hurts them more. I am going with Asik as he is basically the only guy with a prayer of containing Cousins.
great post. Listen, they're just as worried about facing us, Rudy Gay or no Rudy Gay. This'll be a nice test for us without our second option, because sometimes through an 82 game season (and hopefully the postseason) that'll be the case sometimes. You aren't going to have your roster at full strength 100% of the time. Our other guys must practice stepping it up when called upon

I'm hoping for a really nice showing from Ray-Mac off the bench

K

KingMilz

I guess this means the Pelicans can can quadruple team Cousins, I'm going to assume Williams will start cause I think we badly need Casspi on the 2nd unit, even if he's played better than D-Will to this point I don't think Williams can bring the same things Casspi can to the 2nd unit and we are going to need the 2nd unit to play well. Williams has shown he can play well at times in the starting line up.

If Collison is out we are probably in huge trouble, sucks both are carrying something hopefully our guys step it up.

We need D-Thrill tonight. Otherwise we lose. We don't have a major offensive weapon next to Cuz now. They are going to load the paint hard. This might get ugly. If Collison doesn't play, it will be a loss no doubt.

K

KingMilz

We need D-Thrill tonight. Otherwise we lose. We don't have a major offensive weapon next to Cuz now. They are going to load the paint hard. This might get ugly. If Collison doesn't play, it will be a loss no doubt.
Yeah but asking D-Will to play well in a hat-trick of games is like asking to speak to god, you can pray and ask but 99.9% chance you won't get a response. But you are correct, to me without Collison is's zero chance he's as important to us as anyone not named Cousins.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I assume maybe the Rudy thing is to avoid putting the back to back on his Achilles. Maybe DWill waking up even made it conceivable to do so, although holy hell are we out of Reke defenders. Guess Rivers sucks enough we can use Ben on him for a while, but that didn't go well last year. At all.

Collison being nicked up early this season is actually a little scary. He's been a durable guard over his career, but he's never had to carry such a big load before and his impact for us on/off court has been nearly as great as Cuz's.

Also troubling that despite having the extra day off guys still aren't ready to go.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Crap, per Jason Jones

and that is the kicker.

Well, we're probably screwed now. Cousins is matched against the one other big in the league who can match him blow for blow, and the rest of our roster has proven jack and squat. Somebody unexpected is going to have to step up in a big way.