Revisiting Derrick Favors

I'm not sure if this is technically revisiting, but I know many of us have salivated at the idea of bringing this guy in next to Cousins. As a disclaimer, this trade assumes that the Kings land the #1 or #2 pick.

Even though this is a Kings board, we actually do have quite a few members who are fans of other teams. With that being said, I'm looking forward to Npalm's view on this trade. Without further ado, let's get into it...

Jazz Trade:
Derrick Favors
Trey Burke

Jazz Receive:
#1/#2 pick
Carl Landry

Why do the Jazz do this deal?
The Jazz do this deal to give them a shot at a franchise talent/#1 option.

Right now, the Jazz are headed in the right direction. They have a lot of talent on their team and should be competing for a playoff spot next year. However, do we think or do they think their core has a shot at winning a title? I don't. Part of the reason I think that way is because I don't think they have a go-to option who you can throw the ball to and have him go get you a bucket. Is Hayward that player? Can Hayward be the guy on a title contending team? I have my doubts.They also have Gobert who is now their defensive anchor. Favors isn't as big of a necessity when you have like Gobert in the starting frontcourt.

Again, this pick gives them the ability to bring in that #1 option to help propel them to a level that will allow them to compete for a title.

PG - Exum/Cotton
SG - Burks/Hood/Millsap
SF - Hayward/Ingles/Johnson
PF - Towns/Landry/Evans/Jerrett
C - Gobert/Cooley

Kings Trade:
#1/#2 pick
Carl Landry

Why do the Kings do this deal?
Kings make this deal to land a great compliment at PF and to give them more depth. Favors defense, shotblocking, rebounding, and midrange shooting would all be positive attributes to add next to Cousins Not to mention, his age will allow him to be paired with Cousins for awhile.

Burke gives us another PG to bring off the bench (one who has good potential). Burke hasn't been stellar to start his career, but it's not out of the ordinary to see big men or PGs take longer to adjust to the NBA. Burke could turn out to be a good consolation prize if he reaches his potential. If not, McCallum and him should be able to duke it out for backup PG next season with both of them still having the ability to get better.

The 12th pick will likely not contribute much next season, but he's another young asset we can add to this team. Turner, Oubre, Dekker, Lyles, & Kaminsky could all be options here.

PG - Collison/Burke/McCallum/Miller (vet min)
SG - McLemore/Stauskas
SF - Gay/Casspi (room exception)/Turkoglu (vet min)
PF - Favors/Thompson/Moreland
C - Cousins/Ajinca ($4.2 mil/year)/Turner (#12)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Make it Alec Burks instead of Trey Burke and I consider it. If Myles Turner is still on the board at #12, I'd definitely do it.

Towns/Landry
for
Favors/Burks/Turner

Is a trade I would happily take talent wise. I don't see any way to match salaries though.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Basically your trading Karl Towns for Derrick Favors. I mean to be honest, we don't need Trey Burke. He's a nice player and all, but we have Collison and McCallum and we'll in all likelyhood bring back Miller. Now if you could guarantee me that Cauley-Stein would still be sitting on the board at 12, then I might be on board, but otherwise, I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I like Derrick Favors, but if were honest, he hasn't lived up to expectations. He's not a prolific shotblocker. He's a good, but not great rebounder, and he certainly won't help spread the floor. Towns has the potential to be great at all of those things, and I think he'll be a better player than Favors when it's all said and done.

I realize that this is all speculation on my part. The only part of the trade that I like above Favors is the 12th pick. And I'll admit that we might get someone good there. But that's speculation as well. I prefer to play it safe and just draft Towns, if were so lucky as to get the chance. Not saying I wouldn't trade the pick. It would just take more than Favors to entice me.

Basically your trading Karl Towns for Derrick Favors. I mean to be honest, we don't need Trey Burke. He's a nice player and all, but we have Collison and McCallum and we'll in all likelyhood bring back Miller. Now if you could guarantee me that Cauley-Stein would still be sitting on the board at 12, then I might be on board, but otherwise, I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I like Derrick Favors, but if were honest, he hasn't lived up to expectations. He's not a prolific shotblocker. He's a good, but not great rebounder, and he certainly won't help spread the floor. Towns has the potential to be great at all of those things, and I think he'll be a better player than Favors when it's all said and done.

I realize that this is all speculation on my part. The only part of the trade that I like above Favors is the 12th pick. And I'll admit that we might get someone good there. But that's speculation as well. I prefer to play it safe and just draft Towns, if were so lucky as to get the chance. Not saying I wouldn't trade the pick. It would just take more than Favors to entice me.
Valid points. I myself am not so sure I would trade the #1 pick either. I just thought it was an interesting idea to try and pick up Favors and few more assets to have us be more competitive next year.

I would prefer to take Towns and call our starting PF resolved (hoping he can immediately step in and fill the starting role). From there, I would look to upgrade our starting SG, backup PG, and backup PF/C (4th big behind Cousins/Towns/Thompson).

As far as SGs go, I don't think we'll be able to lure one with our cap space (except for maybe Bellinelli or a $13mil/year offer to Danny Green), so that means we would have to rely on trades:

McLemore & Stauskas for a signed Middleton - doubt MIL does it
McLemore or Stauskas for Iguodala - would probably need to add a little more incentive on our side, but GSW could be willing to cut his salary to help pay for their other players.
McLemore or Stauskas for Ross - Ross is already a consistent shooter and still has potential as a defender. However, in the end, I feel like Ross won't be that much of an upgrade over McLemore or Stauskas when we look back. Would maybe have to do a 3 team deal that swings Wilson Chandler to Toronto to give them a full sized SF to play alongside DeRozan.
McLemore or Stauskas for a signed Shumpert - not sure how this one would work since Cleveland wants to compete now. Would probably have to add a third team if the Cavs aren't willing to keep Shumpert at the price teams are willing to pay.
McLemore or Stauskas for W. Chandler - he only has 1 more year on his deal and is more of a SF, but we could possibly role with him at SG (not the best shooter to spread the floor though).

This was indirectly mentioned by 206, but if we were to add Stauskas on our side and substitute Burke for Burks, I think this could be the best case scenario for us this offseason (I'd have to look at salaries to make sure it works without having to add anyone). Could you imagine this lineup next season:

PG - Collison/McCallum/Miller (vet min)
SG - Burks/McLemore
SF - Gay/Casspi (room exception)/Turkoglu (vet min)
PF - Favors/Turner (#12)/Moreland
C - Cousins/Thompson/Hollins (vet min)

Our defense would be excellent. Collison, Burks, Favors, & Cousins are all good defenders with Gay being an average defender. Our perimeter defense should be much better limiting the amount of times Cousins would have to cut someone off and get into foul trouble. The post defense and rim protection would be excellent between the two of them. Favors could even matchup with PFs and Cs to further keep Cousins out of foul trouble.

The rebounding would be solid with Cousins, Favors, Gay, and Burks all being solid rebounders. We should win the rebounding battle more often than not and help limit second change opportunities.

On offense, spacing shouldn't be an issue. We both know Collison and Gay can knock down set shots when a defense collapses (38% from catch and shoot 3s for Collison and 36% from catch a shoot threes from Gay), but Burks would be a great shooter to add. He has shot 42% from catch and shoot 3s the past two years. He'll definitely help spread the floor for our guys. Even Favors has a developing jumper that has improved every season over the past 3 years (shot 40% from 10-16ft and 34% from 16ft-3pt line this year).

With the addition of Burks and Favors, it instantly gives us a better bench by moving some of our current starters to the bench. McCallum/McLemore/Casspi/Turner/Thompson is a young bench, but it should be better than the bench we had this year. A rookie lotto pick, an improving McCallum and McLemore, and two solid vets (Thompson and Casspi) should make for a solid bench.

I really don't see Cousins leaving this team if we put this kind of talent around him.

What is the fascination with Danny Green? He is the biggest product of the system in San Antonio. That system made him. Anywhere else he will be worse. He's fools gold! No way on this planet am I giving Danny Green 13 million.
I don't know how shooting and playing defense is fools gold. He probably has the best combination of 3pt shooting and defense in the league. I'm not sure why you think otherwise. He would be doing the same thing for this team. The 3 and D player is a player who succeeds in any system. Not just the Spurs...

Besides, $13 mil a year is similar to a $9.8 mil/year deal in 2016/2017 and a $8 mil/year deal in 2017/2018. I know many people are still stuck in the current CBA, but we have to consider the future cap when making deals. The cap is jumping up by quite a bit after next season.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Frankly after all the success Utah had down the stretch, I'm not sure they do that anymore. Favors is probably lost to us, at least until they experience some more disappointment over there.

I don't know how shooting and playing defense is fools gold. He probably has the best combination of 3pt shooting and defense in the league. I'm not sure why you think otherwise. He would be doing the same thing for this team. The 3 and D player is a player who succeeds in any system. Not just the Spurs...

Besides, $13 mil a year is similar to a $9.8 mil/year deal in 2016/2017 and a $8 mil/year deal in 2017/2018. I know many people are still stuck in the current CBA, but we have to consider the future cap when making deals. The cap is jumping up by quite a bit after next season.
Your opinion of Danny Green and my opinion of him are very different. The guy has Timmy and Kawhi as teammates he isn't exactly guarding the toughest players out there. I just don't see it. He is essentially a 3 point shooter and can play acceptable defense and good defense at times. I get the cap situation but still. That money could be used for better purposes and a better player IMO.

Your opinion of Danny Green and my opinion of him are very different. The guy has Timmy and Kawhi as teammates he isn't exactly guarding the toughest players out there. I just don't see it. He is essentially a 3 point shooter and can play acceptable defense and good defense at times. I get the cap situation but still. That money could be used for better purposes and a better player IMO.
He would be perfect here shoot 3s, play defense without being ball dominate. We need 3pt shooters.

K

KingMilz

What is the fascination with Danny Green? He is the biggest product of the system in San Antonio. That system made him. Anywhere else he will be worse. He's fools gold! No way on this planet am I giving Danny Green 13 million.
I agree to me Danny Green while a good player is worth about half of 13 million, he can''t create and his court vision is super limited unless he was a Lenoard level defender you could consider it but DeMarr Carroll imo is a better player (bigger/stronger and brings the same stuff) and I don't see him getting anything close to over 8-9million

With Bazemore improving this year who knows the Hawks might think overpaying Carroll might not be worth it, I think Carroll would be super for us since if Rudy plays the 4, we got a lockdown defender at the 3 who can switch and guard 2's as well. You can play Caroll at either wing spot as well. Carroll would be LRMAM with better offense.

There was an article in one of NY newspapers with suggestion, that the other DMC is not against moving to NY, but he will command at least $8 million, and very likely close to $10. People need to stop thinking in terms of last year salaries. Everybody is looking ahead with 70% increase within next 3 off-seasons. $7 million is 11% of the cap this year, but in summer 2017 11% will equal $12 million. Contracts of this summer will look suspect for a year, but when 2016 off-season comes, you will be amazed at the amount of money thrown in every direction. Just the sheer amount of available money will create really questionable contracts - supply and demand.
Danny Green is in some ways like WCS for this team - has real holes in his game, but his positives cover problems of this team like a glove: one of the best spot shooters, elite cutter, elite transition defender, excellent half court defender, always moves the ball. Now $13 million looks a bit overboard, but at least one team will throw $10 million at him, so Kings will likely have to go to $11 million at the minimum.

Not surethat Danny Greene addresses the ball handler and a passer/creator at SG.

Our backcourt lacks ball handling and passing more than anything else so expect the player that we go after to be able to do that. If it weren't for the injury Wes Matthews would be perfect for us. And to think he was on our summer league team as an undrafter FA.

These guys are of the same age, size (Wes is stronger, Danny is longer) and have similar stat rates (Wes is better at finishing inside and maybe personal D due to strength, Danny is a better shooter). Their assist rates are identical. And Karl didn't say "creator", but rather "more ballhandling" and "more passing", where Green, who often initiates Spurs offense from the top of the arc, is fine. He's facilitator, not creator.