Response from Dishnetwork

O

oldwitch

Thank you for your e-mail. Specific information regarding your request for the Sacramento Kings channel is not currently available. It is our intent to add a variety of programming and services to please the majority of current and future subscribers. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration. The NBA season has not yet started so we are all hopeful something will develop.
We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email and include all previous correspondence so that we may assist you promptly.
As a current customer, you may also use our website to view your current or previous billing statements, add services, or make payments to your account. Please use the link below to launch yourself to the most user-friendly Customer Support Center available today.

This is exactly why I would hate to leave DishNetwork. Even their canned replies are nice. They explain their position and tell you the truth. Comcast would simply say "No, sorry" if this situation were switched.

This is similar to the response I received from DIRECTV. It should be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm guessing in the end both Dish/Direct will offer the programming. The issue will be who is going to pay for it.

Dish/Direct are very competetive so if one gets the programming the other won't be far behind.

If you remember correctly, they are so competitive and similar that they tried to merge into one business, but got stopped by the government.

O

oldwitch

I had sent 2 emails to 2 different depts at dish and then sent "charlie" the other email on this forum.
this is the response I got from my second email

Thank you for your e-mail. Specific information regarding your request is not currently available. It is our intent to add a variety of programming and services to please the majority of current and future subscribers. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration. We do carry the Comcast regional network from Washington at the moment so there's a good chance we will start carrying others. (this was the interesting part)

We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.

As a current customer, you may also use our website to view your current or previous billing statements, add services, or make payments to your account. Please use the link https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customercare/UserManagement/login.jsp to visit our Online Customer Support Center.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Natalie R.

DISH Network eCare

Hey, i Emailed Josh, the guy who published the Sac Bee article asking him if he knew anything, and this is the response i got

Yes, there is a chance that DISH Network and DirecTV will pick up the channel. Spokespeople from both companies say they're interested in adding it - though they both caution that the asking price will have to be right.
Josh

Response From DirecTV

DirecTV Response
Here is conversation that I have had with DirecTV on the subject. My response is a bit rude, but I am tired of getting jacked around by public relations slugs. Remember to start at the bottom of the page!

My account number has absolutely nothing to do with the simple questions I asked. I could go look it up, but it seems off the point. Do you intend to carry Kings games this year despite the fact that Comcast signed a ten-year agreement with Maloof Sports? There are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of Sacramento Kings fans in precisely the same situation. You would certainly have an idea of the numbers.

quick dog
Placerville, CA

Feedback <feedback@directv.com> wrote:
Dear quick dog,

Thank you for writing. I'm sorry, but your email doesn't give me enough information to find your account. If you reply to this message and include your DIRECTV account number, name and phone number, a DIRECTV Representative will be happy to assist you. Please don't forget to include a copy of your original email with your response.

Sincerely,

Sarah
DIRECTV Customer Service

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------
DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

Name: quick dog

Subject: Kings Games

Details: I have subscribed to local channel coverage and NBALP for the past few years so as to see as many Kings basketball games as possible. I can not receive normal television broadcasts because we live in the mountains. As you know, Comcast just signed a 10-year deal with Maloof Sports to carry 50 Kings games per year. With DirecTV and NBALP I shall apparently not see them.

The 2004-2005 NBA season starts in only a few weeks. I have plenty of time to cancel DirecTV NBALP, but not much to switch completely over to Comcast.

Do you plan to show Kings games on DirecTV?
Are you going to contract with Comcast for the Kings games?
If so, or if not, I need to know very soon. I will cancel my DirecTV in early October unless you offer a package with the Kings games.

Thanks

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Interesting, quick dog. They need your account number so they can look up your account so they can detemrine whether or not they're going to contract with Comcast for the Kings games?

Whoa. I had no idea you were so important.

O

oldwitch

I emailed dishnetwork again!!(i will be doing it daily) and this is the latest response

Thank you for your email. At this time, we are in no negotiations with Comcast for any sports channel. Unfortunately, the Kings games will be blacked out in your area. As a current customer, you may always use our website to view your current or previous billing statements, add services, or make payments to your account. Please use the link

I work for DIRECTV, so i have some inside information regarding its plan for the Kings games, which is NONE. Same goes for DishNetwork. Comcast has all the rights to the games locally. Same goes for the dish customers who want to watch the 76'ers in Philly (Comcast has the rights there too), they are not available on satellite. You can email them all you want, I doubt that they are going to do something about it. You would be able to watch the game on NBALP only if other station purchases the rights for the game, for example FSN Rocky Mountain when Kings play the Jazz. Whenever I find some more information on this issue, I will let you guys know.

GO KINGS!

firaun. Philly situation is different. I don't know the details for sure, but it has to do with Comcast being an actual owner of the 76'ers and the fact that the Comcast is from Philly and they are not using any satellites to transmit any of their Comcast Sports Net signal.

With Comcast Sports Net Sacramento and Chicago is a different story. Their signal is available for D* and E* to pick up and it is only a matter of $$$.

Early indications are that the DISH/DIRECTV customers are going to get screwed for the upcoming season. I'm curious what the number of Kings who are DISH/DIRECTV customers versus Comcast subscribers.

I can not access Comcast from where I live so it looks live 1140am for me!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's a matter of bucks, pure and simple. Comcast will make money from people subscribing to their service to get the Kings, then they'll get more bucks from DishNetwork and DirecTV if those companies decide to offer the sports channel to their subscribers.

At this point, the only thing I think we know for sure is that League Pass coverage of Kings games will be blacked out within the 75 mile area. Other than that, we don't know yet if DishNet or DirecTV will purchase the channel from Comcast and offer it to their subscribers in the area.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I am a) not involved; and b) have absolutely no information here, BUT:

given that Dishnetwork and DirectTV actually stand to lose customers to Comcast over this deal, and lose face in any case, are they really going to take that chance by not picking up the Kings games?

Of course I suspose Comcast could be playing hard ball in a market share grab. But it still seems like the two D's would be pretty desperate to get their hands on part of a Kings TV market that has to amount to millions of viewers a season.

My understanding is that DirecTV and Dish have about 1/3 of the Sacramento market. Based on the numbers I've seen for Comcast, I'd estimate that at 300,000 to 350,000 customers. This is a guess, not something I know for a fact.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One of the conditions of the deal was that Comcast had to offer the channel to other cable channels in the area, as well as DishNetwork and DirecTV. What the deal DIDN'T say is that Comcast has to make it easy for DishNet and DTV to acquire those broadcasts.

I've talked to people "in the business" and they seem to feel that DishNet and DirecTV are going to be looking very closely at getting the channel...

My responce from DishNetwork

Thank you for your email. At this time, specific information regarding the broadcast of the Sacramento Kings network is not available. While we have had numerous requests for this network, it has not yet been added to our programming lineup. Please continue to visit our website or tune into the Charlie Chat (each month on channel 101) for updates as they become available. We apologize that we cannot provide you with more specific details.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email and include all previous correspondence so that we may assist you promptly. You may also call our Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-3474 to speak to a representative.

Sincerely,
Erika P.
DISH Network e-Care
At least they state that they have had numerous requests for the network, let's hope that means something may happen before the start of the season.

I may not be all that smart compared to a "Small Dish" executive, but if I were, I would be wondering just how many of my companys' customers in the Sacramento and San Joaquin and Yolo Etc. territory subscribed to League Pass for the sole reason of watching the Sacramento Kings games.
Just think about this. Even though I don't have access to the numbers, there must be quite a few out there who will not purchase League Pass this year 'cause it would be pointless.
I wonder how L.P. will feel about losing this many customers?
Maybe they could use the money that they spend on L.P. and Fox Sports Bay Area to justify purchasing the rights for the new Kings Network here in the NON BAY AREA.?
Face it, we the above mentioned have no use for F.S.B.A. or L.P. as far as watching our (*once ) beloved Kings.....
KD///

* "out of sight, out of mind"

Last edited:
5 miles from arco, and no games for me

Cable TV in my area is provided by Charter Communications. When I first heard about the TV deal with the Kings, I read that Charter was planning on picking up the channel. With the season right around the corner, I called them up and asked how I could add it to my lineup... they told me that they've had a lot of calls concerning the same question, but the channel is not currently part of their lineup, and according to the brass -- they have NO PLANS of adding it at this time.

I live 5 miles from arco arena, and from what my cable company tells me... I can't watch the games on TV!!!

BTW... Hi!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
rhuber - Nice to have you back with us! You were missed after the big bang...

Sorry to hear about the cable problem. My advice is to make friends - quickly - with someone who has Comcast and will let you come watch all the games.

:D

VF21 said:
rhuber - Nice to have you back with us! You were missed after the big bang...
Thanks VF... I missed this place too. My problem is... kingsfans is so addicting, I have to at least try to resist the temptation between seasons or I'll never get anything done! :eek:

rhuber said:
Cable TV in my area is provided by Charter Communications. When I first heard about the TV deal with the Kings, I read that Charter was planning on picking up the channel. With the season right around the corner, I called them up and asked how I could add it to my lineup... they told me that they've had a lot of calls concerning the same question, but the channel is not currently part of their lineup, and according to the brass -- they have NO PLANS of adding it at this time.

I live 5 miles from arco arena, and from what my cable company tells me... I can't watch the games on TV!!!

BTW... Hi!
I understand your frustration! I am in Rocklin (30 miles from Sac) and have Starstream Cable. Although we also told early on that they were making the effort to add the channel, my last phone call ended with them flat out admitting that they will not be adding it because it is too expensive. Very frustrating! They did remind me that they have the NBA pass available for $177, and that I'd get almost all the games (last year they aired all but one). At this point it looks like we might be shelling out the money, I can't stand another season stuck listening to the radio...

Don't trust them with what they said about the NBA league pass. There is a good chance that all the Kings games will be blacked out for you (actually I would dare to say they will most definately be blacked out).

Make sure that you can get your money back if they misinformed you.

love_them_kings said:
I understand your frustration! I am in Rocklin (30 miles from Sac) and have Starstream Cable. Although we also told early on that they were making the effort to add the channel, my last phone call ended with them flat out admitting that they will not be adding it because it is too expensive. Very frustrating! They did remind me that they have the NBA pass available for $177, and that I'd get almost all the games (last year they aired all but one). At this point it looks like we might be shelling out the money, I can't stand another season stuck listening to the radio...
All Kings games will be blocked out on League Pass. You live within 75 miles of ARCO.

slugking50 said:
All Kings games will be blocked out on League Pass. You live within 75 miles of ARCO.
that's not good! hmmm... looks like I will be switching to Dishnetwork or Direct TV if either of them gets their act together and gets the channel. Comcast isn't even available in my area....

VF21 said:
One of the conditions of the deal was that Comcast had to offer the channel to other cable channels in the area, as well as DishNetwork and DirecTV. What the deal DIDN'T say is that Comcast has to make it easy for DishNet and DTV to acquire those broadcasts.

I've talked to people "in the business" and they seem to feel that DishNet and DirecTV are going to be looking very closely at getting the channel...
I don't have either company, but would gladly switch to one if it means being able to get the games. I think the best way to "encourage" them to pick up the channels is to flood them with emails and phone calls expressing interest. And, if there happens to be current customers that would switch to Comcast if they don't pick it up, all the better!

Trust me, I've threatened DirecTV with that numerous times. Oddly enough, they now leave me on hold for REALLY long times after giving my account phone number (I kind of picture them saying to each other over their cubicle walls "No! YOU talk to her!'...... 'I don't want to talk to her! YOU do it!' ..."I don't want to do it, give her to the new girl!') I last dealt with them yesterday, when I had them turn off the programming on all the auxillary boxes in the house, leaving only the main active (I have a contract) which should convince them I was not making empty threats. Comcast is now installed.I got such a killer deal on the ComCast for the year, that I doubt there is much DirecTV can do to keep my business this year, maybe if they pick up the channel over the course of the season, I will let them give me a super sweet deal to win me back next year;) ( I kept all my equipment)

I think when they start actually losing customers (especially if the customers let it be known why they are switching) it may galvanize them into some sort of action.

slugking50 said:
I'm glad you mentioned that... I was planning on picking up League Pass to see the games. I don't understand the blackouts though. I thought blackouts were intended to keep stations/networks from infringing on each other's audience when airing the same event. From what I can see, there are no stations airing the games north of Arco's parking lot. If there were, we would surely tune in. How do they justify the blackouts when there are literally NO alternative stations to view the games? We only have one cable company (Charter), and the only other option out there is DirectTV... neither of which carry the games. :confused:

This is my first time posting on the site.

This is a question that might be best directed towards "firaun"

If I have Direct TV and live within the 75 mile radius of Arco Arena, Since I will be blacked-out from getting Kings games could I have my sister in-law who lives outside of the 75 mile radius order League Pass and then I take the card out of her Satelite receiver and put it in one of the receivers at my house? Is it possible to use somebady elses card?

slugking50 said:
Keep in mind that in some directions, for example: North of Arco Arena, the radius increases to 100 miles, while other directions (West-Southwest) the distance shrinks to 45-50 miles because of the Warriors coverage zones. 75 miles is a rough figure.