Rent-a-Nash?!?!

gunks

Hall of Famer
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218970/Source_Suns_Closer_Than_Ever_To_Making_Nash_Available

So, Suns might make Nash available. It is also the final year of his contract.

Call me crazy, but I think a Nash/Reke/Cousins trio could make a push for the 8th seed. Nash just makes those around him so much better. He probably wont stick around after this season, but with all the arena drama, a cinderella push for the playoffs could be bigger for this franchise (and Sacramento) than a mere 1st round exit.

Suns are most likely going to want to go the rebuilding route...So that means they want youth and picks...What do we have? Youth!

I'd be happy with us shipping out something like Thornton/JJ/2nd rounder for Nash? Why? Cause Nash is awesome, and I dont really like Marcus (though I believe he has some value). Would the Suns take this? Probably not... But maybe they want some Jimmermania?

Anyways, opinions on getting Nash?

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Trade a guy who could be a major scorer on the NBA for a half year of Nash? Plus JJ who MIGHT improve. That's a bit desperate. We need to look at the longer term as I think this team has a good long range future. Getting one guy to hopefully be the 8th seed doesn't seem worth destroying a long term plan. You really don't like Thornton, do you. :)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218970/Source_Suns_Closer_Than_Ever_To_Making_Nash_Available

So, Suns might make Nash available. It is also the final year of his contract.

Call me crazy, but I think a Nash/Reke/Cousins trio could make a push for the 8th seed. Nash just makes those around him so much better. He probably wont stick around after this season, but with all the arena drama, a cinderella push for the playoffs could be bigger for this franchise (and Sacramento) than a mere 1st round exit.

Suns are most likely going to want to go the rebuilding route...So that means they want youth and picks...What do we have? Youth!

I'd be happy with us shipping out something like Thornton/JJ/2nd rounder for Nash? Why? Cause Nash is awesome, and I dont really like Marcus (though I believe he has some value). Would the Suns take this? Probably not... But maybe they want some Jimmermania?

Anyways, opinions on getting Nash?
If you could get him to coach the guards after he retires, I'd go for it. When I think of Jimmer and IT I keep thinking of Nash and how they both (especially Jimmer) could do their games a world of good by looking at tons of Nash film. He's such an incredibly smart pg.

A lot of people thinks nobody with a big name would like to play in Sacramento. So, the problem is if Nash will be willing to playhis best in Sacramento and under Petrie's management and Maloof's ownership. Just bring the Kings to Anaheim first and probably some of the Kings problem will disappear and the team will be better.

Last edited:
Two things..

1. Suns would want a lot for him even though he is a pensioner, albeit still playing well....you know young players, picks etc...

2. I get the feeling that out of respect to Nash they will trade him to a team that will be in the play offs and not a lottery team.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Trade a guy who could be a major scorer on the NBA for a half year of Nash? Plus JJ who MIGHT improve. That's a bit desperate. We need to look at the longer term as I think this team has a good long range future. Getting one guy to hopefully be the 8th seed doesn't seem worth destroying a long term plan. You really don't like Thornton, do you. :)
Nope. If we wanted a shot jacking, one dimensional, no D playing SG to stick next to Reke, we shoulda just kept Martin...At least he was efficient.

Thornton for an 8 week rental of Nash, I don't know. It's tempting but i think I'd have to pass. Nash wouldn't even be around long enough to build chemistry with the team. I'm not crazy abut Thornton either but if I were going to trade him I'd want it to be for a player who'd be around awhile.

Who's wearing the cologne desperation. It's awfully strong.

We get Nash and give up a good prospect n Thornton and our chances at a high lotto pick. I'll pass.

Who's wearing the cologne desperation. It's awfully strong.

We get Nash and give up a good prospect n Thornton and our chances at a high lotto pick. I'll pass.
Not to mention that if we move out of the lottery, we lose our 1st round pick to Cleveland. I dislike the perverse incentive of a protected pick soooooo much.

Not to mention that if we move out of the lottery, we lose our 1st round pick to Cleveland. I dislike the perverse incentive of a protected pick soooooo much.
Agreed. I may have twisted thinking but I would rather get a lottery pick this season than give up talent to make the 8-seed. HOWEVER, the West is REALLY down and the potential #1 and #2 seeds have obvious weaknesses, so it would not be weird for a Memphis-San Antonio repeat to happen.

Sure. Except the whole us not being close to contenders part. If Nash would put us over the top, then I'd be very much ok with dealing some of our future for a legit chance at a championship. Even with Nash, it's likely we wouldn't even make an 8 seed

gunks

Hall of Famer
Doesnt HAVE to be trading Thornton to get Nash. I for one dont dig the guy (Marcus), but I guess everyone else around here is cool with someone who jacks 15 shots per game at 40%, kills chemistry, plays horrendous defense, and doesnt contribute in any other way.

Totally didnt think about losing the pick if we make the playoffs though...That changes things a bit.

I would trade Thornton for Nash in a heartbeat. Nash tutoring IT/Jimmer/Tyreke for half a season could prove to be priceless... plus I'm just not too crazy about Marcus.

I would trade Thornton for Nash in a heartbeat. Nash tutoring IT/Jimmer/Tyreke for half a season could prove to be priceless... plus I'm just not too crazy about Marcus.
so why can't we pick him up after his contract ends for tutoring?

if we do trade for him..........what happens when nash decides to hang it up at the youthful age of 39 or 40. who do we fill at the 2 guard. demarcus, tyreke will be more seasoned and we may be fighting for the 8 playoff spot. we'll be in that peculiar situation of bad but not bad enough to get a high pick and decent but not enough to grab a playoff spot. remember a few years ago when we were picking at the 10th-12th pick.