Recent history. A coincidence or something else? You decide.

On Dec 28th Cousins gets kicked out of the game at GSW for losing his temper. Shortly after the fans vote to trade cousins on Sactownroyalty. After this I believe the kings went on an 8-4 run capped by a five game win streak. On January 23rd and 25th Cousins scored 48 and 56 points. Cousins received a lot of praise and an all star admission. Since then the team has gone 1-6. Also, it's time to fire the coach again for whatever reason. So what is going on here? Look at the past. Make your own conclusions.

On Dec 28th Cousins gets kicked out of the game at GSW for losing his temper. Shortly after the fans vote to trade cousins on Sactownroyalty. After this I believe the kings went on an 8-4 run capped by a five game win streak. On January 23rd and 25th Cousins scored 48 and 56 points. Cousins received a lot of praise and an all star admission. Since then the team has gone 1-6. Also, it's time to fire the coach again for whatever reason. So what is going on here? Look at the past. Make your own conclusions.
My conclusion is that Cousins is a great basketball player, and the idea to trade him because he lost his temper against the warriors was childish and short sighted. Is that what you mean?

Translated. He (or She) is trying to say that it's all on Cuz. When he plays hard (sincere,honest), we win. When he he (intentially) doesn't play good(hard), we loose. That we shouldn't blame coach(ing).

Kings are worse without Cousins. Their record without Cousins is Sixers-level. Cousins is one of the team's few plus defenders. He is unguardable. In the years and years dysfunction that predate Cousins nad include Cousins, he is the only one of two players to emerge out of the chaos to become anything of merit. He has become a top 10 player despite the mess.

Cousins is emotional on the court and barks too much at refs. He's tough on his teammates.

You attempted to point towards something and forgot the most important variables of the equation.

also, important little note: They lost the 56 point game because nobody else was scoring and nobody was defending.

My take is those 48 and 56 point games took a toll on Cousins and the team. I think it emotionally and physically drained them and they have not been able to recover from it yet.

Translated. He (or She) is trying to say that it's all on Cuz. When he plays hard (sincere,honest), we win. When he he (intentially) doesn't play good(hard), we loose. That we shouldn't blame coach(ing).
I took it more as whenever a "trend" seems to start to fit, it spirals right back in the other direction.

Chaos.

So with the current trend, for some odd reason, things will take off in a better direction here soon.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Then he's the worst star ever.
Might be closer to say that its got to be something approaching despair when you drop in back to back legendary level nights on your home court and barely come away with 1 victory to show for it.

If you are a player of Cuz's caliber there always has to be a tendency to say if I do just a bit more, if I average 25, no 27, no 30....but when you explode for peak all time level games that realistically you can't top by much, and its STILL barely enough to win...that's got to be subtly demoralizing for a superstar.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Its too bad that some people just dislike Cuz for some of those reasons listed above. I see a guy who is committed to this franchise, who is one of the top players in the world and who continues to lay it out there on the court and playing while banged up.....and I mean, he's playing through injuries constantly but of course, nothing he does will be good enough for them and I could care less. One of these days, we will get it right with the coaching and roster and its going to include Cousins and its going to be glorious.

What could it mean? Shows motive and what our star player is capable of when he is motivated and not. If he did get demoralized as has been said... Is that what stars are made of? A real star player puts it on the line week in and week out regardless. He leads by example even when the going gets tough. Even after he gets an all star birth.

Who can be the perfect coaching fit for Cousins? Other teams change coaches and they still play well. The Kings keep repeating the same mistakes while trying to get Cousins to live up to his potential. Nothing seems to work.

I was one of the first people on this board saying we should sign Cousins to a lifetime contract. I'm off the Cousins bandwagon though. When he wants to show that he has the heart of a champion. I will be with him. But I don't think it is in the cards.

Who can be the perfect coaching fit for Cousins? Other teams change coaches and they still play well. The Kings keep repeating the same mistakes while trying to get Cousins to live up to his potential. Nothing seems to work.

I am so sick and tired of this argument!!! The coaches we've cycled through with cousins have been crap. It's not like they left the kings and went on to success sans cuz. And "nothing seems to work" because they keep trying the same f'ng thing, all while surrounded by crappy teammates.

Honestly, which coach running a fast paced style with the combo of players we've had do you think cuz should have led to the playoffs?

I am so sick and tired of this argument!!! The coaches we've cycled through with cousins have been crap. It's not like they left the kings and went on to success sans cuz. And "nothing seems to work" because they keep trying the same f'ng thing, all while surrounded by crappy teammates.

Honestly, which coach running a fast paced style with the combo of players we've had do you think cuz should have led to the playoffs?
But, but, cousins is the one constant. He's why this team has sucked.

EXACTLY!!!! You unknowingly found the reason why the kings are who they are. Because they keep on repeating the same mistakes!!!!
The franchise has been a MESS. The coaches have been a JOKE. The players around cousins have been MEDIOCRE. Cousins entire tenure here has been spent knee deep in constant upheaval.
We could have curry on this team and he wouldn't be able to do jack because of all the chaos around him. And this fan base would be blaming him.
If cousins goes to a halfway stable franchise he will flourish.
Look at Isaiah Thomas in Boston. Now multiply that by 20 and thats what we'll get when cousins is somewhere else. This franchise will be a permanent joke because we will have traded away the most dominant center in NBA and have nothing to show for it.

Bricklayer

What could it mean? Shows motive and what our star player is capable of when he is motivated and not. If he did get demoralized as has been said... Is that what stars are made of? A real star player puts it on the line week in and week out regardless. He leads by example even when the going gets tough. Even after he gets an all star birth.

I was one of the first people on this board saying we should sign Cousins to a lifetime contract. I'm off the Cousins bandwagon though. When he wants to show that he has the heart of a champion. I will be with him. But I don't think it is in the cards.
Ridiculous. Just...poor.

There are a crapload of coaches who could coach Cousins. We only hired the one, then soon fired him. The problem is that our management are idiots, and it has confused the fanbase so much that now the dumbness is spreading. Tons of coaches to coach DeMarcus Cousins. But our morons in chief refuse to hire them. Ask me if I would have hired Keith Smart. Go ahead. Ask me which coach I would have chosen when our three choices were Paul Westphal, Kurt Rambis or Tom Thibodeau. Ask me if I would have canned Malone for Ty bleeping Corbin. Or if I would have hired George Karl of all people to take over after that.

Go ahead, ask away. I won't bite.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Ridiculous. Just...poor.

There are a poopooload of coaches who could coach Cousins. We only hired the one, then soon fired him. The problem is that our management are idiots, and it has confused the fanbase so much that now the dumbness is spreading. Tons of coaches to coach DeMarcus Cousins. But our morons in chief refuse to hire them. Ask me if I would have hired Keith Smart. Go ahead. Ask me which coach I would have chosen when our three choices were Paul Westphal, Kurt Rambis or Tom Thibodeau. Ask me if I would have canned Malone for Ty bleeping Corbin. Or if I would have hired George Karl of all people to take over after that.

Go ahead, ask away. I won't bite.
Ok brick. Tom Thibodeau, Scott brooks, or Mark Jackson? Which of those three have the best chance at success in Sacramento with current Roster? Or do you have a write in?

Bricklayer

Ok brick. Tom Thibodeau, Scott brooks, or Mark Jackson? Which of those three have the best chance at success in Sacramento with current Roster? Or do you have a write in?
Thibs is the obvious answer. Already has synergy with all our main players, 4 have played for him that I know: Cuz, Rondo, Rudy and Bels. And he would ****ing love Willie. Loves Cuz too, and its mutual. Can even go so far from some of his recent remarks to guess at a strategy change -- in order to stop the fastbreaks against us when Cuz is inside or Rondo drives, we would be rotating Willie back to use that length to stop all fast breaks against us. Which BTW implies that we could then return Cuz to the battles inside.

Brooks is too bland to spot any magical synergies, and he's a friend of Karl's. That said he would be an acceptable but not inspiring choice. He's been to the mountaintop, has some organizational and regional ties. Just not clear how much of the Thunder's rise was him, and how much the talent.

I wouldn't touch Mark Jackson with a 10' pole wrapped in a giant condom and sprayed down with Lysol.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
EXACTLY!!!! You unknowingly found the reason why the kings are who they are. Because they keep on repeating the same mistakes!!!!
The franchise has been a MESS. The coaches have been a JOKE. The players around cousins have been MEDIOCRE. Cousins entire tenure here has been spent knee deep in constant upheaval.
We could have curry on this team and he wouldn't be able to do jack because of all the chaos around him. And this fan base would be blaming him.
If cousins goes to a halfway stable franchise he will flourish.
Look at Isaiah Thomas in Boston. Now multiply that by 20 and thats what we'll get when cousins is somewhere else. This franchise will be a permanent joke because we will have traded away the most dominant center in NBA and have nothing to show for it.
How good were the Kings before drafting DeMarcus though?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Thibs is the obvious answer. Already has synergy with all our main players, 4 have played for him that I know: Cuz, Rondo, Rudy and Bels. And he would ****ing love Willie. Loves Cuz too, and its mutual. Can even go so far from some of his recent remarks to guess at a strategy change -- in order to stop the fastbreaks against us when Cuz is inside or Rondo drives, we would be rotating Willie back to use that length to stop all fast breaks against us. Which BTW implies that we could then return Cuz to the battles inside.

Brooks is too bland to spot any magical synergies, and he's a friend of Karl's. That said he would be an acceptable but not inspiring choice. He's been to the mountaintop, has some organizational and regional ties. Just not clear how much of the Thunder's rise was him, and how much the talent.

I wouldn't touch Mark Jackson with a 10' pole wrapped in a giant condom and sprayed down with Lysol.
I was hoping you would say that. Maybe not all of that lol.

Not Brick but the answer is Thibs, by a mile.

But I think we will see Corliss and he may succeed. He played for Larry brown in Detroit and they won it all in 04. Corliss was also Sixth Man of the Year in 02 in Detroit. As has been written here already Corliss was here as an assistant for Mike Malone.

Last edited:
But, but, cousins is the one constant. He's why this team has sucked.
Not Brick but the answer is Thibs, by a mile.

But I think we will see Corliss and he may succeed. He played for Larry brown in Detroit and they won it all in 04. Corliss was also Sixth Man of the Year in 02 in Detroit. As has been written here already Corliss was here as an assistant for Mike Malone.
Why would Coreliss want to be thrown to the wolves on an interim coaching position?

As far as as the Kings players goes.... there seems to be some kind of driving force behind the scenes. Is it gossip and back biting or what? I don't know. But the record speaks louder than any words.

Look there are obviously a lot of things that get considered when choosing a coach. Those teams that do it well consider the make up of their roster, what direction they are taking and choose a coach to fit that direction.

From outside looking in, for us Thibs is the best fit by a mile. He already has relationships with our 3 stars and Marco played for him as well. Those relationships are based on mutual respect and trust which is a foundation of the entire player-coach relationship. He loves Boogie and Rondo and they love him. As Brick said he would ****ing LOVE WCS. It's precisely the type if player defensive coaches love. He would demand a LOT from this bunch and they would deliver because of that respect that I am talking about.

Koufos is another guy he would love. This of Omer Asik from Chicago days and just how much Thibs got out of him. Hell he might even turn McLemore into a good 3 and D guy. Look at his time in Chicago and how he has developed those players. D Rose was the youngest MVP ever. Noah was developed into one of the best defensive bigs in the league. He developed Gibson into a very good player. Jimmy Butler developed into a stud under Thibs' watch. Hell he even turned Salmons into a very productive two way player for him.

If you're compare our roster to the ones Thibs had in Chicago, there are a lot of similarities there. The ideal situation would be to get him to take over after the all star break but I don't think this is realistic but it is not out of question for next season. Thibs' defensive schemes are very good and he has managed to "hide" some average defensive players and get good production from them in his time in Chicago.

IMHO, he is the guy that fits this roster like a glove. We would be perennial play off team in the West with Thibs as our coach and most of this roster.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Be careful it doesn't run over you.

Cousins +/- over the 5 and 1 win streak +13. I included the loss to the hornets because he did play very well. Cousins +/- over the last 6 minus the game he did not play (which we won) -5.8.