Rebuilding without Cousins

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to take the other available approach from the existing thread about building around Cousins, what would it look like to rebuild without him?

To me the guidelines are pretty straightforward. In rebuilding you move anything you can for young players, draft picks and caproom. You play the young guys the next season, allowing them to develop and the team to essentially tank for one more season to get another high draft pick and then ideally start your climb towards being good. Simple.

So if it's simple why have the Kings been bad for so long? In part because they've never fully committed to doing a rebuild. But mostly because of poor drafting.

Because while luck in the lottery, the strength of the draft play a part, its the acumen of the front office in terms of identifying talent and drafting properly that makes the real difference. Well, unless it's a Duncan or LeBron draft and you have the #1 pick. But I digress.

To rebuild the Kings have to trade Cousins and ideally Gay too.

With Rudy you could just let him walk but the Kings cap sheet is pretty clean already so it'd be better to get something for him.

Let's say Gay and Lawson to OKC for Payne and Abrines. With the Kings taking on Abrines salary for two more seasons I'd try and squeeze this years 1st from the Thunder (likely #20-26) but I doubt that happens.

Then ideally Cousins to Boston I. The deal I've mentioned a few times.

Cousins for Amir Johnson, Jaylen Brown, this year's pick swap with the Nets and Brooklyn's 1st rounder next year. I'd push for the rights to Zizic too. I believe to make this work another player would have to head to Boston or be cut from the Kings. Either way I'd say McLemore should be that player.

Then the Kings would have:

Koufos/Cauley-Stein/Papagiannis
Tolliver/Johnson/Labissiere
Casspi/Barnes/Brown
Temple/Afflalo/Richardson/Abrines
Collison/Payne

You give the youngsters plenty of PT and hit tank mode pretty hard.

In the offseason Johnson, Casspi and Collison are free agents. Tolliver's contract is unguaranteed but I'd retain him. Afflalo only has (I think) $1.5 million in guaranteed money. I'd let him go.

Now the Kings have:

Tolliver/Labissiere
Barnes/Brown
Temple/Richardson/Abrines
Payne

and around $62 million in salaries leaving around & 40 million in cap room. Their two picks will likely be top 6 so that's another $8 million or so in salary. And if Bogdanovic comes over that's likely $5-8 million more. Let's say $7 million, putting the Kings around $77 million and with $25 million in cap room.

I'd look at bringing back Collison and Casspi on two year deals if reasonable. If not, the remaining cap room can be used to take on other team's bad contracts with the Kings getting future picks etc in return.

Based on the Kings record without Cousins I would project the team to win 11 to 16 more games this year depending on when he's traded. Last year that would have slotted them 4th or 5th. Let's say they finish 5th and the Nets keep the 4th worst record. Using Tankathon that combo gave me the 1st & 6th picks in the draft.

DX has Fultz and Tatum in those slots right now. I love Fultz but I'd take Isaac, Giles (if he checks out medically) or Rabb over Tatum. But I think Isaac will rise on draft boards.

Giles or Rabb/Labissiere/Tolliver
Brown/Barnes/Casspi or FA
Temple/Bogdanovic/Richardson
Fultz/Payne/Collison or FA

Not a good team. But lots of potential. And it would mean another pair of likely lottery picks (Kings' own plus Brooklyn's) next draft. Then Koufos, Barnes and Tolliver go, you look to deal one or two of the youngsters for future assets (or risk having to re-sign too many at once) and move along with the rebuild.

Easy.

Just to take the other available approach from the existing thread about building around Cousins, what would it look like to rebuild without him?

To me the guidelines are pretty straightforward. In rebuilding you move anything you can for young players, draft picks and caproom. You play the young guys the next season, allowing them to develop and the team to essentially tank for one more season to get another high draft pick and then ideally start your climb towards being good. Simple.

So if it's simple why have the Kings been bad for so long? In part because they've never fully committed to doing a rebuild. But mostly because of poor drafting.

Because while luck in the lottery, the strength of the draft play a part, its the acumen of the front office in terms of identifying talent and drafting properly that makes the real difference. Well, unless it's a Duncan or LeBron draft and you have the #1 pick. But I digress.

With Rudy you could just let him walk but the Kings cap sheet is pretty clean already so it'd be better to get something for him.

Let's say Gay and Lawson to OKC for Payne and Abrines. With the Kings taking on Abrines salary for two more seasons I'd try and squeeze this years 1st from the Thunder (likely #20-26) but I doubt that happens.

Cousins for Amir Johnson, Jaylen Brown, this year's pick swap with the Nets and Brooklyn's 1st rounder next year. I'd push for the rights to Zizic too. I believe to make this work another player would have to head to Boston or be cut from the Kings. Either way I'd say McLemore should be that player.

Casspi/Barnes/Brown
Collison/Payne

In the offseason Johnson, Casspi and Collison are free agents. Tolliver's contract is unguaranteed but I'd retain him. Afflalo only has (I think) $1.5 million in guaranteed money. I'd let him go.

Now the Kings have:

Tolliver/Labissiere
Barnes/Brown
Payne

and around $62 million in salaries leaving around & 40 million in cap room. Their two picks will likely be top 6 so that's another $8 million or so in salary. And if Bogdanovic comes over that's likely $5-8 million more. Let's say $7 million, putting the Kings around $77 million and with $25 million in cap room.

I'd look at bringing back Collison and Casspi on two year deals if reasonable. If not, the remaining cap room can be used to take on other team's bad contracts with the Kings getting future picks etc in return.

Based on the Kings record without Cousins I would project the team to win 11 to 16 more games this year depending on when he's traded. Last year that would have slotted them 4th or 5th. Let's say they finish 5th and the Nets keep the 4th worst record. Using Tankathon that combo gave me the 1st & 6th picks in the draft.

DX has Fultz and Tatum in those slots right now. I love Fultz but I'd take Isaac, Giles (if he checks out medically) or Rabb over Tatum. But I think Isaac will rise on draft boards.

Not a good team. But lots of potential. And it would mean another pair of likely lottery picks (Kings' own plus Brooklyn's) next draft. Then Koufos, Barnes and Tolliver go, you look to deal one or two of the youngsters for future assets (or risk having to re-sign too many at once) and move along with the rebuild.

Easy.
And a 1/4 full arena.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Casspi/Barnes/Brown
Collison/Payne

Now the Kings have:

Tolliver/Labissiere
Barnes/Brown
Payne

Easy.
so easy...yet so hard for a franchise like this. Building a winner in the NBA requires some luck...which Kings have none of

I don't like the potential of having 25 million in cap space only because I'm afraid the GM would bring in the bottom of the barrel free agents or over paying average veteran players

If he is willing to sign that extension in the off season, then that essentially means to me, that he is willing to wait on the rebuild that would occur following the extension.

Rebuilding would be the easiest route for us. I don't think it would be such a bad idea to have vets still on our squad and leading the young guys. Koufos, Tolliver, and Temple would be good in trying to hold the team together. I don't know if we could afford to roll the dice on Gilles, but he would be such a great prospect.

Fultz-Bogdanovic-Brown-Gilles-WCS with Payne-Richardson-Labissiere-Papagiannis would have some nice talent. Lots of unknown potential in the bench, but it would be a starting point.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
so easy...yet so hard for a franchise like this. Building a winner in the NBA requires some luck...which Kings have none of

I don't like the potential of having 25 million in cap space only because I'm afraid the GM would bring in the bottom of the barrel free agents or over paying average veteran players

If he is willing to sign that extension in the off season, then that essentially means to me, that he is willing to wait on the rebuild that would occur following the extension.
If you're truly rebuilding part of the goal is to keep the cap sheet clean. The exception would be using that cap space to let other teams dump bad contracts while netting future assets for taking those bad deals off their hands.

If those opportunities aren't there you look for those Tolliver & Afflalo type signings. One year deals or two year deals only partially guaranteed for the next season.

The goal is to draft a star and then use free agency to put role players around him (or ideally THEM) so until you have that centerpiece free agency should be an afterthought with the only goal being flexibility.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If you're truly rebuilding part of the goal is to keep the cap sheet clean. The exception would be using that cap space to let other teams dump bad contracts while netting future assets for taking those bad deals off their hands.

If those opportunities aren't there you look for those Tolliver & Afflalo type signings. One year deals or two year deals only partially guaranteed for the next season.

The gosl is to draft a star and then use free agency to put role players around him (or ideally THEM) so until you have that centerpiece free agency should be an afterthought with the only goal being flexibility.
Point well made & taken. That said, can you really win in the NBA these days with just "a" star?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Point well made & taken. That said, can you really win in the NBA these days with just "a" star?
I don't know. In the past it was possible depending on how the rest of the team is built. The Pistons title team arguably didn't even have a star. Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Wallace etc were all talented but not stars. But today? I really don't know.

That said, the potential Boston deal along with the Kings tanking for nearly two seasons would ideally give the Kings 4 top 5 or hopefully at least top 8 picks. The hope is that you get two stars. Or even one star and enough assets/young talent to trade for a second.

I'm not sure attendance would be any worse with a full rebuild bs staying the course and trying to build on the fly.

As a fan would you rather watch a 34-38 win team with an all-star center and limited growth potential or an 16-22 win team with young players and the hope of becoming much better?
I've had tickets since 1990. Been through bad years and the good. I'm not paying through another rebuild at the current ticket prices.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rebuilding would be the easiest route for us. I don't think it would be such a bad idea to have vets still on our squad and leading the young guys. Koufos, Tolliver, and Temple would be good in trying to hold the team together. I don't know if we could afford to roll the dice on Gilles, but he would be such a great prospect.

Fultz-Bogdanovic-Brown-Gilles-WCS with Payne-Richardson-Labissiere-Papagiannis would have some nice talent. Lots of unknown potential in the bench, but it would be a starting point.
Yeah, no reason to dump Koufos or Temple. Or even to not bring back Tolliver. They wouldn't fetch a lot in trade, are signed to reasonable contracts (the average NBA salary will soon be $8.5 million) and are exactly the types of veterans you want around your young talent to help them develop good habits and learn how to be professionals.

And while I like Fultz, this draft could produce a few stars. The 2018 draft could be pretty good too and while this draft is heavy on PGs, next year's potentially has some big man talent at the top. Fultz, Smith or Ball this year and Ayton or Bamba next year? Along with two other lottery picks as well as Brown, Payne, Papagiannis, Richardson and Labissiere? Lots of hope moving forward.

Of course there's a chance the Kings don't get a single top 3 pick and blow all four lottery picks and none of the other young players develop into good players. In that case the Kings will have dealt Cousins and end up with nothing to show for it.

But seeing as how the Kings are losing now and I don't see a way to build a winner with Cousins I think it's a gamble that needs to happen.

And now (meaning before this year's trade deadline and ideally sooner than later) is the right time frame. While the cap sheet is pretty clean, Cousins has high value, they can still keep this year's pick and increase it's value by tanking and two years before they have to give a first rounder to Philadelphia.

Because the worst case scenario is that the Kings play well enough this season to lose their pick but still miss the playoffs, retool over the summer, have another mediocre to poor season after which Cousins walks and then be FORCED into rebuild but with few real assets and owing a pick to the Sixers that would likely be top three and possibly #1 overall.

Again, if someone can reasonably show a path to build a contender around Boogie I'm all ears. Because to me the Kings have unfortunately wasted that opportunity and need to change course.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had tickets since 1990. Been through bad years and the good. I'm not paying through another rebuild at the current ticket prices.
If Boogie leaves after next deals it will be a rebuild anyway. I know he's a loyal dude but how many all-stars and all-NBA level players are okay with potentially never making the playoffs in their career?

It sucks for fans and especially those fans shelling out for expensive seats in the new arena but considering the Kings are on pace for another 29 or 30 win season without a lot of hope of being any better next year I don't see another option but to rebuild.

If Boogie leaves after next deals it will be a rebuild anyway. I know he's a loyal dude but how many all-stars and all-NBA level players are okay with potentially never making the playoffs in their career?

It sucks for fans and especially those fans shelling out for expensive seats in the new arena but considering the Kings are on pace for another 29 or 30 win season without a lot of hope of being any better next year I don't see another option but to rebuild.
I'm torn about a complete tear down. If Rudy was gone tomorrow for Payne and a piece, hows Roberson looking, I would be stoked. Cuz,? its tough but as I have mentioned before the Boston scenario appears to be the best bet if it were to happen.

Did you once mention a Cal Berkeley connection which might explain your interest in Brown and Rabb.

I'm honestly so tired of winning 25-30 games only to end up with the 7th pick because the Kings continually aim for the 8th seed, when it's obvious that we're just not good enough.

It's extremely frustrating that we haven't been able to rebuild correctly.

It seriously doesn't take a genius to realize that the Kings put themselves in his position due to not only poor drafting, but poor draft positions. How much easier would it be if we were able to pick: Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, KAT, Russell, Porzingis, etc? I hope Vlade picks the right path for us.......

I'm not sure attendance would be any worse with a full rebuild bs staying the course and trying to build on the fly.

As a fan would you rather watch a 34-38 win team with an all-star center and limited growth potential or an 16-22 win team with young players and the hope of becoming much better?
Oh it would be. Looking back at 2006-2014 before the Arena was a done deal many stopped renewing tickets and few were new season ticket holders that kept them. Now add in a 35% increase in ticket prices to the equation. The Arena isn't a new thing now and they are making up the existing season ticket holder wait list. They have available seats. They even have club seats they say are sold out. Ticket secondary market sucks for sellers, it's a buyers market right now. In a full rebuild you wont be able to sell tickets for anything close to face value. It would be cheaper to buy for each game than get season tickets.

I'm honestly so tired of winning 25-30 games only to end up with the 7th pick because the Kings continually aim for the 8th seed, when it's obvious that we're just not good enough.

It's extremely frustrating that we haven't been able to rebuild correctly.

It seriously doesn't take a genius to realize that the Kings put themselves in his position due to not only poor drafting, but poor draft positions. How much easier would it be if we were able to pick: Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, KAT, Russell, Porzingis, etc? I hope Vlade picks the right path for us.......
You mean like when we had the worst record and got the 4th pick?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh it would be. Looking back at 2006-2014 before the Arena was a done deal many stopped renewing tickets and few were new season ticket holders that kept them. Now add in a 35% increase in ticket prices to the equation. The Arena isn't a new thing now and they are making up the existing season ticket holder wait list. They have available seats. They even have club seats they say are sold out. Ticket secondary market sucks for sellers, it's a buyers market right now. In a full rebuild you wont be able to sell tickets for anything close to face value. It would be cheaper to buy for each game than get season tickets.
That might be the case. But what is the alternative? I can't imagine people will keep ponying up for season tickets for a perpetual 29-33 win team either.

The Timberwolves are worse than the Kings this year. So are the Sixers. But if we traded rosters with either one I'd be much more inclined to go in on season tickets and/or go to individual games.

I'd rather see a young team with promise struggle than a perpetual loser muddle through another disappointing season.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm torn about a complete tear down. If Rudy was gone tomorrow for Payne and a piece, hows Roberson looking, I would be stoked. Cuz,? its tough but as I have mentioned before the Boston scenario appears to be the best bet if it were to happen.

Did you once mention a Cal Berkeley connection which might explain your interest in Brown and Rabb.
Good memory. I'm a Cal grad. But while I'm a fan of Rabb I'm actually not high on Jaylen Brown. He has an NBA body and athletcism but hasn't really shown any translatable skills yet. I think in time he may be a defensive wing but I don't think he'll be a great player. That said, he's a young asset that Boston has so you ask for him in any potential deal for Cousins.

Good memory. I'm a Cal grad. But while I'm a fan of Rabb I'm actually not high on Jaylen Brown. He has an NBA body and athletcism but hasn't really shown any translatable skills yet. I think in time he may be a defensive wing but I don't think he'll be a great player. That said, he's a young asset that Boston has so you ask for him in any potential deal for Cousins.
I love the college game. I received my BS from UNM, Lobos, so made it to the PIT a time or two. In the end I still made the majority of my living as a trades person, I dislike working inside and a cold beer taste so much better after a concrete pour.

Anyways I liked Rabb last year and was a bit disappointed he pulled his name from the draft. I thought he'd be a good complement to Cuz, regardless of drafting his perfect running mate one year before?? It's surprising currently nbadraft.net does not even have Rabb in their top 14 which makes me believe this is not a draft we want to foolishly miss out on.

Last edited:

Casspi/Barnes/Brown
Collison/Payne

Now the Kings have:

Tolliver/Labissiere
Barnes/Brown
Payne

Easy.
Can we just make this all happen somehow please??

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love the college game. I received my BS from UNM, Lobos, so made it to the PIT a time or two. In the end I still made the majority of my living as a trades person, I dislike working inside and a cold beer taste so much better after a concrete pour.

Anyways I liked Rabb last year and was a bit disappointed he pulled his name from the draft. I thought he'd be a good complement to Cuz, regardless of drafting his perfect running mate one year before?? It's surprising currently nbadraft.net does not even have Rabb in their top 14 which makes me believe this is not a draft we want to foolishly miss out on.
Rabb's draft stock right now is being hurt by a couple things. One is that he's been banged up. Another is that he's a sophomore and in this day and age that seems to be a disadvantage. Teams have more tape on you and you've been dissected more. But mostly it is just a really talented freshman crop that's pushing him down.

But I liked Rabb more than Chriss in the last draft and he's looking to address his strength which was his biggest weakness last season.

I don't think he'll be a star but I'm guessing the team that nabs him will be happy.

K

KingsFan80

I have reached the reality that this franchise has to make a decision. The team we have right now is not going to do anything. We are just currently treading water. The current status of the franchise leaves them with two options:

1) Trade Cousins and rebuild
2) Keep Cousins and Overpay big time on FA as if we are talking the difference between 1-2 million on a salary then we won't get them but I mean way overpaying is the only way

By trading DeMarcus we could send him to Boston, get a couple of top ten picks in a great draft. Build around those players. Would mean a couple of long years but might be the only way to build a contender.

If we keep DeMarcus, then we have to upgrade talent. The Front Office has left this roster with nothing. Maloofs messed up taking Thomas Robinson. PDA McLemore and Stauskas. And now Vlade looks like he whiffed on WCS. Too many mistakes. The only way to fix it is to overspend in FA for a short-term fix.

My biggest worry is DeMarcus cannot coexist with another star. IT, Tyreke and now Rudy Gay, it seems like he never meshes with them. Was it his fault they were let go? Maybe, maybe not. But regardless what we were doing now isn't working.

My gut says to rebuild. Send him to Boston and get our picks. Start fresh with a new roster instead of picking up over-the-hill FAs to try and patch together a roster.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Need I remind you what the definition of insanity is. At what point do the Kings decide that finishing with 31 to 34 wins every year and only one major asset isn't working. I'm 75 years old, and I don't know how many tomorrows I have left, but I'm down with doing this right, and doing it right is starting over. I'm not saying you can't start over with Cousins, but that it would easier to start over without him.

Yes, it would take a couple of years to rebuild the foundation for going forward, and then another couple for that foundation to jell, and bevome truly competitive, but if done properly, Sacramento would have a team that would remain competitive for years to come. All were doing right now is putting bandaids on the problem.

Let me put it this way. If there was ever a time to start over and move Cousins, this is it. Why? Because of this particular draft. The odds of getting a star, or even two stars out of a draft are better in this draft than in any draft for the last ten or so years. Fultz has franchise player written all over him. Josh Jackson should be star in the league. If Ball can improve his outside shot, he's a franchise player. There are players in this coming draft that will be picked 10th or 11th, that would be top five in previous drafts. Maybe top three.

If I was thinking of trading Cousins to Boston, I would wait till June after the lottery order is known. That way you'd know exactly what your trading for.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Rabb's draft stock right now is being hurt by a couple things. One is that he's been banged up. Another is that he's a sophomore and in this day and age that seems to be a disadvantage. Teams have more tape on you and you've been dissected more. But mostly it is just a really talented freshman crop that's pushing him down.

But I liked Rabb more than Chriss in the last draft and he's looking to address his strength which was his biggest weakness last season.

I don't think he'll be a star but I'm guessing the team that nabs him will be happy.
Yeah, you nailed with Rabb. He's a very skilled player, but doesn't have a particularly large frame on which to build muscle. He would have to be a stretch four at the next level. He's certainly not afraid to get in and bang, but it's not his strength. I really like Josh Jackson of Kansas. He has that fire in his belly and a motor to go with it. He has to be one of the best shotblocking SF's in all of college. Needs to improve his outside shot, but I love the kid. I agree with you at the moment on Isaac, but I want to wait and see Tatum play more. He just got back on the court, and so far, I like what I see in the limited minutes he's had. Of course Isaac has that length going for him which is rare in a SF.

I took a look at the draft order on some of the draft boards and I was surprised how low they had Bam Adebayo. But then, that speaks to how deep this draft class is and the talent at the top. I love Malik Monk as well, but I wish he was a bit taller. But then he's C.J. McCollum size and a similar type player.Finally, lest I forget, I really, really want to see Harry Giles play. If healthy, he could end up being the best player out of this draft. Prior to his latest injury, there wasn't much he couldn't do on a basketball court.

Yeah, you nailed with Rabb. He's a very skilled player, but doesn't have a particularly large frame on which to build muscle. He would have to be a stretch four at the next level. He's certainly not afraid to get in and bang, but it's not his strength. I really like Josh Jackson of Kansas. He has that fire in his belly and a motor to go with it. He has to be one of the best shotblocking SF's in all of college. Needs to improve his outside shot, but I love the kid. I agree with you at the moment on Isaac, but I want to wait and see Tatum play more. He just got back on the court, and so far, I like what I see in the limited minutes he's had. Of course Isaac has that length going for him which is rare in a SF.

I took a look at the draft order on some of the draft boards and I was surprised how low they had Bam Adebayo. But then, that speaks to how deep this draft class is and the talent at the top. I love Malik Monk as well, but I wish he was a bit taller. But then he's C.J. McCollum size and a similar type player.Finally, lest I forget, I really, really want to see Harry Giles play. If healthy, he could end up being the best player out of this draft. Prior to his latest injury, there wasn't much he couldn't do on a basketball court.
It is shaping up to be a great draft. The players you have mentioned above are the main reason why I want Rudy turned into Payne.
Losing Rudy should help keep our pick and having a promising young PG already in place will let us go BPA.

Monk does look good, he is 6'3" and its already looking like SG should be one of our strengths next year.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

I love Tatum's talent but he reminds me of Gay and Jabari Parker - lots of ISO play and midrange shots. Not super efficient either. Not a winning style in today's NBA. Can he extend his range?

Ball just had a near triple double against Ohio State. I have reservations about Ball (awful form on his shot which is also inconsistent and he's a below average athlete) but he's a force right now. Is he a smaller, quicker Kyle Anderson or is he a bigger Jason Kidd.

I love Jackson too. He's old for a freshman, not trrribly long for a 6'8" player and I wonder if he'll be a star or a high level role player but guys with his combination of talent and motor are good bets to succeed.

I definitely want to see Giles too. I think he can be great. I'm lukewarm on Bam though. Anunoby is the kid I'm keeping an eye on. If the Kings keep their pick (and don't trade Boogie) he could be around at that spot. He could be a 3&D guy but elite defensively and could maybe eventually be more.

Last edited:

I know nothing of college prospects but I like the idea of having a Ball in our court :D

Hate to say it, but after this Sacramento Bee thing I think Cousins value is low enough to the point where it's not a legitimate option anymore - moving him for value. I can't even contemplate it now

Hate to say it, but after this Sacramento Bee thing I think Cousins value is low enough to the point where it's not a legitimate option anymore - moving him for value. I can't even contemplate it now
Pretty sure I read awhile back that coach Stevens wants no part of Cuz. Could be BS, but interesting in that Boston is the logical trade partner.

I don't follow much of this Sacramento Bee saga., but my initial take is the Bee writers agendas have been little but counterproductive for our team. Great, for a story lets diminish the trade value of Sacramento's best player. If they want him out of here so bad perhaps make Cuz appear more attractive to opposing teams.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I read awhile back that coach Stevens wants no part of Cuz. Could be BS, but interesting in that Boston is the logical trade partner.

I don't follow much of this Sacramento Bee saga., but my initial take is the Bee writers agendas have been little but counterproductive for our team. Great, for a story lets diminish the trade value of Sacramento's best player. If they want him out of here so bad perhaps make Cuz appear more attractive to opposing teams.
The Bee's Job is to sell papers. It's not their job to care for the Kings or to promote a certain player to keep his trade value up.