Rebecca Lobo Concerned About WNBA's Future

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Don't look at me; I don't have any daughters. Or even nieces. In fact, there's only one female under the age of twenty on my mom's side of my family, my cousin Maddie, and she doesn't like sports at all. I don't get along well with my biological father's side of the family.

That's what (always) bothers me about how they try to get support for the league. Yeah, you need parents to take their daughters...but you also need them to take their sons...their co-workers, church groups, rec league teams...etc.

Leagues that exist for future generations to have the opportunity to play in them and have that as their primary selling point, seem to be the first to be extinct. As are also those with the primary focus of being pure entertainment (read: XFL). There's a balance and marketers need to find it.

I agree with Lobo in principle tho. And it's distrurbing that she's out with the siren call. But it's also reality.

That's what (always) bothers me about how they try to get support for the league. Yeah, you need parents to take their daughters...but you also need them to take their sons...their co-workers, church groups, rec league teams...etc.

Leagues that exist for future generations to have the opportunity to play in them and have that as their primary selling point, seem to be the first to be extinct. As are also those with the primary focus of being pure entertainment (read: XFL). There's a balance and marketers need to find it.

I agree with Lobo in principle tho. And it's distrurbing that she's out with the siren call. But it's also reality.
I'd love to see their faces in the stands.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
:: shrugs ::

My pops takes my nephew to almost every game, unless he did something stupid that week, and is on punishment. And, whenever I'm in Atlanta, CJ goes with us. I'd take him to games if there were a team closer to me, but the closest team geographically is the Mystics, and I don't consider driving two hundred miles and some change to root for a team to lose against whoever the hell they're playing against to be a good use of my time and money.

There are teams that I would root for and support (except for when they play Sacramento) if they were close enough to me; the Mystics aren't one of them.

I have to admit, that one of my fears is that the WNBA will not generate enough interest and soon fold. You look around the league and some teams have very healthy fanbases and some teams, it seems just do not at all.

What can be done to improve this?