Reasons why the team fails in the third quarter.

Why is this a Jekell and Hyde team?

• A conspiracy by the players.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • We play too hard in the first leaving nothing left for the second. (conditioning)

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • We play better than we are in the first and worse than we are in the second. (Talent)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Coaching.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • We need to ignore anything that happens for the rest of the season due to transition all year.

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Again it happened. Now you can blame coaching. But this happened under Malone too. During the first half I was thinking how Cousins is one of the greatest players I have ever seen. This team made a playoff contender look like they didn't belong on the court with us.

Then comes the third quarter and we can't make a simple layup go in. Ben just throws the ball out of bounds like he is afraid of his own shadow. Stauskas steals the ball but can't complete the layup. And this continues until we are so far behind we can't win the game. Cousins who completely dominated can't make a layup. Meanwhile the wizards are running around sticking out they're chests like the just beat Goliath because in the first we were.

Are we lacking talent, conditioning, coaching or is there some conspiracy? I don't think I have ever seen anything like this before. Not on a repeatable basis.

What should we do? On one hand I love Cousins. The guy is unbelievable. On the other there is something wrong with this team. Are we not being patient enough?

Teams figure out our gameplan and make adjustments. We don't (because we suck). We don't have any reliable shooters who we can count on consistently, we don't have consistent bench production, we don't have guys who will consistently defend. Even with Cousins you don't know whether you're going to get 37min 3 fouls Cousins or 28min foul out of game Cousins. Do you get savvy vet Andre Miller or old man can't defend Andre Miller? Omri McFumblesCan'tshootalick Casspi or effective drive and disher? The list goes on and on ... when all our individual guys aren't ever reliable (arguably the most consistent ones are Reggie and Landry. You know what you're getting from them, the problem is that it isn't much) how can you expect the team as a whole to be consistent? That applies both between games and within games.

Season long, the reason had been our bench. The team has had rough 3rd quarters, but a lot of those meltdowns started late in the 3rd when the bench would start to come in. That's still a bit of an issue, but there's other factors as well. Both Philly and Washington sold out on stopping Cousins in the 2nd half and the rest of the team could not make a shot. It also doesn't help that the team struggles to get Cousins the ball versus denial pressure. Main culprit is the team can't establish a good Hi-Low game.

The truth is that the other team will always make a run. The problem is the Kings never figure out how to stop that run until its hit like 20 or so points. They 'cannot stop the bleeding' as the phrase goes. It's normally an issue of not getting a good shot or people not making shots, but for half the year now it's also been not getting any defensive stops.

On NBA.com they did a run down of this game. One thing they said was you can't shoot if you have no legs. I'm thinking the kings have no legs in the second half. But that's just my thought. I really have no idea what is going on.

It's the same old old. Defense. They can't defend the three point line or the pick and roll and they couldn't do it under Malone either.

Coupled with the lack of shooting on the other end and mental brain fades it's a perfect storm. Sure you'll get runs where people like d will and ben hit a few shots but it's the exception. They're average players who will always be average.

I think George Karl though hey, I've done this before, this will be easy. Well George you ain't coached crap like this before bud. Good luck.

K

KingMilz

It's the same old old. Defense. They can't defend the three point line or the pick and roll and they couldn't do it under Malone either.

Coupled with the lack of shooting on the other end and mental brain fades it's a perfect storm. Sure you'll get runs where people like d will and ben hit a few shots but it's the exception. They're average players who will always be average.

I think George Karl though hey, I've done this before, this will be easy. Well George you ain't coached crap like this before bud. Good luck
I actually laughed in real life reading that thank you lol.

Season long, the reason had been our bench. The team has had rough 3rd quarters, but a lot of those meltdowns started late in the 3rd when the bench would start to come in. That's still a bit of an issue, but there's other factors as well. Both Philly and Washington sold out on stopping Cousins in the 2nd half and the rest of the team could not make a shot. It also doesn't help that the team struggles to get Cousins the ball versus denial pressure. Main culprit is the team can't establish a good Hi-Low game.

The truth is that the other team will always make a run. The problem is the Kings never figure out how to stop that run until its hit like 20 or so points. They 'cannot stop the bleeding' as the phrase goes. It's normally an issue of not getting a good shot or people not making shots, but for half the year now it's also been not getting any defensive stops.
Itʻs not the bench that starts the third quarter, crap there was 8-9 minutes left in the third when we started blowing it versus the Sixers, It was our starters that allowed Klay Thompson to heat up in the 3rd.

I canʻt quite seem to put a finger on it, they come out playing like a team at the start of the game, then the ball movement stops and we decided to stop helping or rotating on defense.

It's not necessarily a talent issue. We're just a mentally weak team. Unfortunately, our leader on the court fluctuates in his temperament and that has an impact on the team. When Cousins gets frustrated, the other players fall into his emotional abyss. He may be able to play through it himself, but the other players don't react to it well.

As much as I like Cousins, I see that as the reality of the situation. When he learns that as a leader, how he carries himself on the court impacts the team is when we stop falling apart. Showing that you're mad and kicking chairs is not leadership. No one on the team is happy when they're losing. Leadership is showing the team how to stop the run through your actions and attitude. Rallying instead of pouting. When Cousins goes on one of his tirades or even when he crawls into his shell and sulks on the bench, it's as if he's quit. Now, he himself hasn't quit and I'd never insinuate that. But he's letting it be known he doesn't have faith in his team, the refs, the coaches or whoever.

Webber used to sulk and pout about things too. The difference with that team was Vlade. Vlade was a much stronger personality and a much more positive one and that's who they rallied around.

In short, we lack on court leadership.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
None of the above. When other teams ramp up the pressure, both offensively and defensively, this team folds. That's what bad teams do. Washington was asleep for two and a half quarters. They didn't take the Kings seriously at all, then they decided to play. Philly, on the other hand, with their relentless young athleticism, played from the opening tipoff and just wore the Kings down with it; the Kings couldn't play at their pace.

It's not necessarily a talent issue. We're just a mentally weak team. Unfortunately, our leader on the court fluctuates in his temperament and that has an impact on the team. When Cousins gets frustrated, the other players fall into his emotional abyss. He may be able to play through it himself, but the other players don't react to it well.

As much as I like Cousins, I see that as the reality of the situation. When he learns that as a leader, how he carries himself on the court impacts the team is when we stop falling apart. Showing that you're mad and kicking chairs is not leadership. No one on the team is happy when they're losing. Leadership is showing the team how to stop the run through your actions and attitude. Rallying instead of pouting. When Cousins goes on one of his tirades or even when he crawls into his shell and sulks on the bench, it's as if he's quit. Now, he himself hasn't quit and I'd never insinuate that. But he's letting it be known he doesn't have faith in his team, the refs, the coaches or whoever.

Webber used to sulk and pout about things too. The difference with that team was Vlade. Vlade was a much stronger personality and a much more positive one and that's who they rallied around.

In short, we lack on court leadership.
You don't need to be a nice guy, to be a leader.
Cousins is leading by example - how many chase down blocks, hustle plays, great passing, charges taken and great offensive plays have we seen this season.
Even the chair kicking, roaring, screaming at the refs just shows how much Cousins actually cares, how much he hates to lose - this is a great leader, a guy with the mindset to dominate who is fired up on the court and who will sacrifice for a win.
Cousins is literally the only player on this roster, who has nothing to do with this whole mess. One player will only take you so far.
Yes he seems to be angry about his teammates from time to time, but if you pay attention he seems to have the same standards for himself.
If every guy on this team would give the effort Cousins brings almost every night, we wouldn't be one of the worst team in the league.
What is Cousins supposed to do - explain to JT, Dwill, Casspi or Gay how to defend the pick&roll or how to play some weak side defense?

Coincidence. We have failed in each of the four quarters plus O/T. We can play well but we haven't learned how to turn it on at will. On ofence or defense. That breeds lack of confidence. Not consistently playing as a team feeds into this. Everybody feeds into this, even Cuz. Inconsistent team play is compounded by inconsistent indtvtdual play by too many, like Ben, McCallum, DWill, the others each have their moments of contributing to this problem. Teammates poor play or mistakes contribute to poor play by their partners, an attitude problem. Too much playing with emotions worn on the sleeve. A round robin of prolens leading to inconsistency and lack of confidence.

You don't need to be a nice guy, to be a leader.
Cousins is leading by example - how many chase down blocks, hustle plays, great passing, charges taken and great offensive plays have we seen this season.
Even the chair kicking, roaring, screaming at the refs just shows how much Cousins actually cares, how much he hates to lose - this is a great leader, a guy with the mindset to dominate who is fired up on the court and who will sacrifice for a win.
Cousins is literally the only player on this roster, who has nothing to do with this whole mess. One player will only take you so far.
Yes he seems to be angry about his teammates from time to time, but if you pay attention he seems to have the same standards for himself.
If every guy on this team would give the effort Cousins brings almost every night, we wouldn't be one of the worst team in the league.
What is Cousins supposed to do - explain to JT, Dwill, Casspi or Gay how to defend the pick&roll or how to play some weak side defense?
I never said Cousins doesn't care or try hard. He's just not an effective leader. Doesn't make him any less of an individual talent. Talent doesn't make you a leader thougg. Neither does being fiery.

If leading by example means yelling at refs and kicking chairs and screaming at teammates on the court, then there is the problem. His example is wrong. There is a time and place for all of that. However, if you keep doing the same thing and nothing changes, then you need to change your approach. Leadership is learning to relate to people on their level to make them better players. Finding what buttons to push for your team and the individuals. Knowing when to take a shot to spark the team or when to feed a player to get him going.

I'm not trying to make this about Cousins. What I'm saying is we lack player leadership.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Teams adjust and don't allow the Kings to get the shots they want...in return the Kings falter and don't know what to do so they proceed to force feed Cousins who then reverts back to trying to attack 3-4 defenders and a man in position to take charges to get him in foul trouble. All teams need to do is have one good quarter and that is good enough to put this Kings team away.

Again it happened. Now you can blame coaching. But this happened under Malone too.
Nothing to worry for now.

Go think harder because you are missing a very important variable. The element of time and situation of BEFORE and NOW.

Malone had an almost full year of chance to instill whatever system he needs to instill to make this team better. He had the luxury of coaching this team last season. Also, he was in a very opportune time to start the season when our players were still inspired and hungry to win, doing their best putting effort, and really trying hard to make a statement or reach the playoffs.

The situation is very different for Karl. Players won't play as harder, since the remaining games are almost meaningless. It is expected.

But, I can now imagine how much better we will be next year under a proven coach like Karl.

I can almost smell next year's playoffs.:)

Last edited:
Nothing to worry for now.

Go think harder because you are missing a very important variable. The element of time and situation of BEFORE and NOW.

Malone had an almost full year of chance to instill whatever system he needs to instill to make this team better. He had the luxury of coaching this team last season. Also, he was in a very opportune time to start the season when our players were still inspired and hungry to win, doing their best putting effort, and really trying hard to make a statement or reach the playoffs.

The situation is very different for Karl. Players won't play as harder, since the remaining games are almost meaningless. It is expected.

But, I can now imagine how much better we will be next year under a proven coach like Karl.

I can almost smell next year's playoffs.:)
I could smell a fight for the playoffs at the start of the season under Mike Malone too. What's your point?

I never said Cousins doesn't care or try hard. He's just not an effective leader. Doesn't make him any less of an individual talent. Talent doesn't make you a leader thougg. Neither does being fiery.

If leading by example means yelling at refs and kicking chairs and screaming at teammates on the court, then there is the problem. His example is wrong. There is a time and place for all of that. However, if you keep doing the same thing and nothing changes, then you need to change your approach. Leadership is learning to relate to people on their level to make them better players. Finding what buttons to push for your team and the individuals. Knowing when to take a shot to spark the team or when to feed a player to get him going.

I'm not trying to make this about Cousins. What I'm saying is we lack player leadership.
From my point of view, this is part of the job description for a coach and not for a 24 year old player. And not to mention this definition of leadership can be found in any business handbook for emerging managers or students of economics and is, again just from my point of view, rarely put into praxis. ;)
Let me ask you one thing: how do you built a team identity?
Isn't it possible to built it, by uniting all team members against an external force, this way establishing some "we against the world"-mentality? Of course this wouldn't make your team very likeable by your surroundings, but is this not the way some NBA teams were built?
And let me tell you my personal view on leadership: When the leader of my working enviroment sets high standards for a particular group, but at the same time follows the same standards himself and therefore leads by example - I personally respect his leadership and will overlook some weak points of his temper - like getting fired up in pressure situations.
All humans are individuals and if you want your leader to find the right buttoms to push depending on the temper and nature of his team, you need to acknowledge that the leader is an individual himself and regardless of textbook definitions of leadership, there are many way to be a leader. But it all starts with leading by example and setting the same standards for everyone.

P.S.: You actually made a very valid point. I don't want to say, that you are necessarily wrong. Just wanted to point out, that you can take a different view.
I'm tired of the same old discussion about DMC temper. He is who he is and he seems to be a very likeable individual for me. I see no need to forcefully transform him into something more affin for the media or for the refs. This whole discussion is so blown up, cause in the league there seems to be no place for true emotions right now. The NBA is so worried about the image and role model function of todays players and tend to overlook, that people actually like emotions, like rivalry and like outsiders. What this team needs is not a change of Cousins personality but some guy, who gets into him, when he makes mistakes, who can refocus him. Cousins has shown with Calipari, Team USA and Malone that he can deal with that very well. Again talking about same standards here...;)

From my point of view, this is part of the job description for a coach and not for a 24 year old player. And not to mention this definition of leadership can be found in any business handbook for emerging managers or students of economics and is, again just from my point of view, rarely put into praxis. ;)
Let me ask you one thing: how do you built a team identity?
Isn't it possible to built it, by uniting all team members against an external force, this way establishing some "we against the world"-mentality? Of course this wouldn't make your team very likeable by your surroundings, but is this not the way some NBA teams were built?
And let me tell you my personal view on leadership: When the leader of my working enviroment sets high standards for a particular group, but at the same time follows the same standards himself and therefore leads by example - I personally respect his leadership and will overlook some weak points of his temper - like getting fired up in pressure situations.
All humans are individuals and if you want your leader to find the right buttoms to push depending on the temper and nature of his team, you need to acknowledge that the leader is an individual himself and regardless of textbook definitions of leadership, there are many way to be a leader. But it all starts with leading by example and setting the same standards for everyone.

P.S.: You actually made a very valid point. I don't want to say, that you are necessarily wrong. Just wanted to point out, that you can take a different view.
I'm tired of the same old discussion about DMC temper. He is who he is and he seems to be a very likeable individual for me. I see no need to forcefully transform him into something more affin for the media or for the refs. This whole discussion is so blown up, cause in the league there seems to be no place for true emotions right now. The NBA is so worried about the image and role model function of todays players and tend to overlook, that people actually like emotions, like rivalry and like outsiders. What this team needs is not a change of Cousins personality but some guy, who gets into him, when he makes mistakes, who can refocus him. Cousins has shown with Calipari, Team USA and Malone that he can deal with that very well. Again talking about same standards here...;)
Leading by example is a very good point. That is why we need a clutch player. Or the coach can teach it. But we have no clutch players on this team right now. I don't know if you can see clutch in the stats but we need that above all else.

P

PoundForPound

Leading by example is a very good point. That is why we need a clutch player. Or the coach can teach it. But we have no clutch players on this team right now. I don't know if you can see clutch in the stats but we need that above all else.

Rudy Gay has been a clutch player his whole career, and he continues to be. Nobody will hit 100% of their shots in the clutch but I for one feel VERY comfortable with the ball in his hands come crunch time.

Teams are more free flowing in the first half. So we basically just score at a better pace than the other teams because we do have talent. Second half comes and teams lock down/display effort, and we do not. Simple as that.