RE Graswich on 1140 Fri 7:50 am

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Some paraphrased quotes:

I love the Kings and Maloofs, I hate the deal.

He'd support a deal where the Maloofs pay at least 70%.

NBA can't leave Sacramento - can't afford to.

Reject this deal, they would be able to come up with a new deal. Arena would be financed privately by land deal like AKT proposed. Kings won't leave, and if they did, we'd get another team.

Kansas City, Vegas, Anaheim are much farther behind Sacramento in getting/keeping a team.

Stern cannot afford to leave this market.

He's delusional. That's the only conclusion I can draw from his arguements....

I heard that nonsense too. This guy is the biggest of hypocrites known to mankind. he reminds me so much of Jay Mariotti, it is ridiculous.

I love Sacramento as much as the next person. I have lived here my whole adult life and have raised my children here. So I am not some recent transplant from somewhere else. And for Graswich to insult my intelligence in creating this big ole perception that Sacramento can compete with other markets because "WE ARE SACRAMENTO"!!! makes me dispise him and others that think just like him when it comes to this deal.

Grow Up People!!!! Let's move forward.

RE stated that on withing 4 years once this deal fails, Sacramento will have a new team and Sacramento will be free from the Maloofs. I
hated coming into work listening to this prick. FP pointed out that RE
just hates the Kings and hates the Maloofs. I am so sicccck of this
guy. He must be associated with the Lakers...ha:mad:

Interesting POV RE.

Does anyone think any NBA owner these days are really going to pay 70%????

While i am on the fence about the wait for a better deal...This deal is not the greatest for Sacto I agree with that point. However I don't really think the current deal hurts the city, the prop taxes alone from the natomas land and the railyard development will make up for it all... IMO.. So holding out for a better deal may just be rolling the dice. I do not see the kings here in '07-'08 if this deal fails.

Thats the gamble... hold out for better and hope they stay or take what we have now .. which btw has taken over 2 years to get.

His answer to counter arguments was "I don't believe that." Wow, cogent and logical response, RE. :rolleyes:

He actually said the NBA needs this market and they'd never go to Kansas City or Orange County, becsue of the other pro sports teams there. What a dunce. The NBA would still have this market, primarily with Golden State, like before and even Kings fans still.

No owner is going to pay 70% I wonder what he's smoking?:confused:

He believes the land in Natomas and railyards will be developed, albeit more slowly, so the property taxes will come eventually anyway. What happens to the time value of money in that argument?

Wait for a better deal? WTF? We'll get another team? Not without an arena and then we'd have to finance it 100%. When one caller said that Stern already said if the City won't support the Maloofs, the league is not going to send another team here. He just blew the caller off with the "I don't believe that" line.

What bothered me too, is he said he's doing an article on the toxicity of the site next week, becasue he talked to people who worked there. WTF? He was talking like NO cleanup has happened yet. That's just not true. Why not talk to the people involved in the clean-up. Why not talk to scientific people in the field? So we get to read another distorted, "the sky is falling" article based on what people say happened there a long time ago, who have zero knowledge about the clean up work.

The guy is an utter idiot.:mad:

And the Maloofs are great owners. Anyone outside of Sacramento acknowledges that. I'm tired of them being portrayed as the personification of evil.

This may not be the best deal, but it is what it is. Sacramento should not cut off its own nose to spite its face.

Interesting POV RE.

Does anyone think any NBA owner these days are really going to pay 70%????

While i am on the fence about the wait for a better deal...This deal is not the greatest for Sacto I agree with that point. However I don't really think the current deal hurts the city, the prop taxes alone from the natomas land and the railyard development will make up for it all... IMO.. So holding out for a better deal may just be rolling the dice. I do not see the kings here in '07-'08 if this deal fails.

Thats the gamble... hold out for better and hope they stay or take what we have now .. which btw has taken over 2 years to get.
There is no better deal. This is it. Thinking we are going to get a better shot at it is dangerous, IMO. The clock is at .01 and this shot better fall or we are not only eliminated from the Play Offs, but from the NBA.

Last edited:
There is no better deal. This is it. Thinking we are going to get a better shot at it is dangerous, IMO. The clock is at .01 and this shot better fall or we are not only eliminated from the Play Offs, but from the NBA.

Would it be that hard to quote all of my statement. I said exactly what you did in my first post above... I don't think asking to read all of my post and quoting all if it to make a point is to much to ask.

Better? I don't think we were saying the same thing at all. You said it's a roll of the dice if we might get a better deal, though you concede it probably won't happen. While YOU have come to realize it probably won't, there are MANY people out there who may not realize that this is, in all likelihood, our one and only shot at this thing.

Last edited:
:) LOL Okay sounds good KG just making sure... I didn't want this to turn out to be another thread people are on my rear for when I am basically on the side of everyone else.

I agree that its very dangerous to believe that the Kings could get a better deal. I don't think they cannot just for the fact there are other cities out there willing to "have" the kings now with much more favorable odds for the Maloofs.

It's all good sorry for getting jumpy :)

Last edited:
RE Graswich reminds me of the kid in the Elementary school birthday party, where everyone in the class gets cupcakes, that complains because he wants vanilla instead of chocolate, because that's all they have.

He whines just to be noticed, and he writes contra articles to the mainstream just to look controversial, when there are gaping flaws in both his objectivity and factuality.

I wish someone would get to the bottom of why he is so against this, but I think it'd be a short investigation- he is only doing it to be "the voice of the people", when in reality he's feeding them lie after lie. I bet he'll move when/if this thing is developed, and I agree with Grant in saying that if it's built, I don't want to see him within 20 miles of it.

Some paraphrased quotes:

I love the Kings and Maloofs, I hate the deal.

He'd support a deal where the Maloofs pay at least 70%.

NBA can't leave Sacramento - can't afford to.

Reject this deal, they would be able to come up with a new deal. Arena would be financed privately by land deal like AKT proposed. Kings won't leave, and if they did, we'd get another team.

Kansas City, Vegas, Anaheim are much farther behind Sacramento in getting/keeping a team.

Stern cannot afford to leave this market.

He's delusional. That's the only conclusion I can draw from his arguements....

I think it's better said that the MALOOFS can't afford to leave this market! Where else int he countyr are you gonna get the kind of support and love that you do in Sacramento? We all know the answer to that question!

I think it's better said that the MALOOFS can't afford to leave this market! Where else int he countyr are you gonna get the kind of support and love that you do in Sacramento? We all know the answer to that question!
Sure they can. They may not get the love, but they can get a much better deal elsewhere (i.e. support). If the ballot measures fail, there really aren't any other viable options available. Love from the fans doesn't do anything in terms of replacing a facility that is coming to the end of its useful life.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's all well and good to be supportive of Sacramento and the fans, but that's not enough.

ARCO is deteriorating. That's a fact, not something told just to scare people. It's out-dated, it was cheaply made, and I'm really surprised it even meets bare safety standards because of the horrors of trying to get from the upper levels if there was an emergency. The upper walkway is extremely narrow and butts right up against the backs of seats.

The arena is not adequate now and it's getting worse.

It's not about the Maloofs not being able to move the team because of fan support. It's about the Maloofs moving the team to get an adequate facility for now and into the future.

And you should have paid more attention to the first R.E. Graswich quote, where he says, "I love the Kings and Maloofs."

That is a bald-faced lie. Either that, or that "love" is the best-kept secret in all of journalism.

That's just not true. The fact is, there are plenty of cities that will be happy to have the Kings and MSE and a good chance that the Maloofs can get a better arena deal elsewhere. For example, Kansas City would kill to have the Kings back and they will have a brand new arena that the city has already financed. And Stern has already said he would support a move of the team from Sacramento, if they can't get an arena deal.

If people think the Maloofs can't go elsewhere and be perfectly fine, they are very sadly mistaken. Honestly, the fan support has slipped some the last couple of years and I'm not sure the Maloofs are that eager to stay somewhere where they have been lambasted and villified as greedy, selfish playboys.

I think they are human and want to be wanted. They've done a lot in the community and yet can't seem to get any good press at all. They really are a great ownership group, but you mostly hear that from outside Sacramento these days. Lots of cities would love owners like them.

EDIT: And VF is right. Plenty of studies have indicated Arco is reaching the end of economic viability. The Maloofs can't afford NOT to go where thay have a better arena. If you've never been to a newer arena, Arco is, flat out, a dump.

Last edited:
I think what needs to be said in this thing to the 'nay' sayers is why all the other ways of financing an arena wouldnt work, both for fiscals sake and the time factor as well. Those are the two HUGE factors in play here, and everything needs to be explained as to WHY those wont work now, or in the near future. For example: We can wait to find private money for the whole thing.
Or: Why cant we do a sin tax like other cities to finance this?

These questions need to be addressed to educate the people that are on the fence about this initiative, there are enough of them to sway this thing in a huge way. And there's nothing Graswich can do about it.

Honestly, I think there could have been a better option, but the city just waited too long and had to come up with something fast. I'm not saying its a bad deal, but it probab;y could have been better. But contrary to the apparent belief of some folks, its not the Maloofs who held out to the last second, its the city.

You know, since the Maloofs became owners, the Bee has twice examined the financial books on the team and wrote articles on the fact that the team lost money many of its years. It was only raising ticket prices and going deep into the playoffs that made them show any profit.

But that doesn't jibe with the view the antis want of the Maloofs making money hand-over-fist. Its like saying a person can buy a house with not enough money.

Oh wait, millions of people with not enough money have boughtand do buy houses with billions and billions in government subsidized funding! Its called the FHA-mortgage insurance program (plus a lot of other financing programs). Oh yeah, they also get help from one of the biggest "welfare" programs around, the mortgage interest write-off on their taxes.

Why should renters pay taxes to help fund that? Why does the government help people without enough money buy houses? Maybe because its thought to be a positive public investment? Wonder how many of the anti-arena crowd own a home?

The bottom line financial problem for NBA teams, is outside of the really big markets, teams don't make enough money to support the debt service on a big arena loan, period.