Ray McCallum

Kid's definitely got promise. Can't wait to see more of him particularly next year, with a year under his belt.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Yes I have a question. Is his play making IT expendable or less likely to be offered/matched on a decent sized contract?

And that's not meant to drag this into IT vs Ray but the one obvious question, and VF since you did ask "any questions?" I am asking it, does Ray's improved play effect what we do at PG 4 months from now?

The most impressive thing to me is that he is playing huge minutes as an NBA starter and his assist/turnover ratio has to be extremely good. i think he has 8ast/2to in the last game and 10ast/1to tonight

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes I have a question. Is his play making IT expendable or less likely to be offered/matched on a decent sized contract?

And that's not meant to drag this into IT vs Ray but the one obvious question, and VF since you did ask "any questions?" I am asking it, does Ray's improved play effect what we do at PG 4 months from now?
Yes, I did ask "any questions?" It was a rhetorical question. What you're doing is totally taking the thread into another direction, one that isn't just a celebration of what our rook did tonight. What you're doing is exactly what you say you don't mean to do. It's going to end up a IT vs. Ray discussion.

EDIT: Sorry if that sounds snippy, but I'd just like a little bit of a chance to celebrate something good before it inevitably turns into a totally predictable fight between the IT beliebers and those who see more upside to Ray in the long run...

Do you guys think there is a legitimate chance that the Kings shut down IT for the rest of the year and let him get healthy and let Ray start the rest?

Also I know Isaiah is currently out with a quad injury, but he had said that he plans to get wrist surgery after the season. They should just let him get the surgery out of the way now and let Ray see what he can do to finish off the season.

Impressive game. While I don't trust the stats yet, what i DO trust is his ability to take care of the ball. He's not only displayed in his brief stint as a starter, but when he was coming off the bench as well. When you're playing next to 2 high TO guys like Gay and Cousins, I consider ball security to be very important.

Keep it up young fella.

Ray, in 4 games as a starter, is averaging 15.3ppg 7apg 4rpg 1.75TO

Last 2 games: 19ppg 9apg 3rpg 1.5to
Assist to turnover might be the most impressive stat. Also we should sleep on him and say he couldn't be a start next year cause he's a 2nd round pick he was an all American. You add in the fact that he can play defense and we have ourselves a starting pg.

Lets see how well he can keep this up. He's probably still on the adrenaline high of getting his first starts and major minutes of the year.

But as it stands now, no questions..

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
What stuck with me the most about Ray was his defensive tenacity. Aside from Toney Douglas's brief stint with us in the dregs of last season, it's been at least eight or nine years since we've had a point guard who wouldn't just give up on defense when the guy he was defending either (a) didn't have the ball or (b) got past him. Down the stretch of the fourth quarter, Ray had a couple of defensive possessions where he would get beat but then chase his man down and close on him to make a play. That and the fact he is among the most turnover wary rookie point guards I have seen in a while bodes well for his future more than his adequate offensive skillset.

K

KingMilz

I wonder in a hypothetical situation if Ray was given the same chances in Sacramento starting (lets assume IT never existed for 1 sec) that MCW got in Philly where he would be in the rookie of the year race this season. I love his attitude that's his best quality for me, well played Ray Mac.

i said he'd take IT starting position by the end of the season, sure it came through injury but hes proving that he's got the ability to be what we need

What stuck with me the most about Ray was his defensive tenacity. Aside from Toney Douglas's brief stint with us in the dregs of last season, it's been at least eight or nine years since we've had a point guard who wouldn't just give up on defense when the guy he was defending either (a) didn't have the ball or (b) got past him. Down the stretch of the fourth quarter, Ray had a couple of defensive possessions where he would get beat but then chase his man down and close on him to make a play. That and the fact he is among the most turnover wary rookie point guards I have seen in a while bodes well for his future more than his adequate offensive skillset.
This x 1000000!

And, no, I don't have any questions.

To me what RayMac is doing now is confirming (finally) what most of us always hoped for: Insuring that IT (if retained) goes back to top 6th man PG role plus additional minutes together with new starter RayMac in Kings backcourt for next season, far beyond. Meanwhile, some steady growth on both sides of ball by young BenMac after thrown to wolves rocky ride also encouraging.

Isaiah excells in an offense where he can score in bunches. As poor as the bench currently is at scoring, IT is exactly what they need. With Isaiah you need strong rebounders and floor spacers.

Ray Mac seems to excell as a floor general. He gets people in a position to score, defends well, and looks to create for others on fast break situations. He excells in a group that can hit shots he creates and has good hands. Defensively, he seems to have the willingness to eventually become a shutdown defender. In today's NBA these great scoring PG's are potent so that is not a trait to sneeze at.

I would love to have both on the team next year because COMBINED they solve the PG problem and can help us focus on a rim protector or BPA in the draft.

With IT and RayMac l, you always have a potent scorer on the floor if Cuz starts and IT is 6th man. Also, it forces defenses to game plan stopping the paint, the drive, and perimeter shooting. With RayMac, you can neutralize a good scoring PG.

With Ben and Ray showing growth, if the Kings pick falls outside of the top 3, I would be tempted to trade down and take WCS for rim protection.