Ray mcCallum did you know?

Entity

Hall of Famer
I was looking at collisons stats vs. Isaiah and I got to thinking about ray. Some have said collison could be a stop gap until ray grows a bit more. So I looked at Rays stats. Not glowing until I figured his stats as a starter when Isaiah went down. 14pts 7ast 3reb 1.9to 1.3stls. He shot 41% 3pt. Now his fg% was 38. Judging by his 3pt numbers I feel that fg% will rise. Just some rookie first time starter jitters. Anyway I think Rays play at the end of the year made it much easier to not pursue IT very hard. I feel like ray can improve on those numbers as he only started 12 games in his rookie season. I look for ray to get a good 20 min per game this year and develope into a real asset. Not to mention ray has commitment to defense as well. This pg platoon could very well work.

And then there's the height thing. IT, 5'9" (if barely), DC, 6'0" (maybe bit taller), RayMac, 6'3" - plus Kings other PG in a pinch Nik at 6'6."

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
His stats are inflated. 45 MPG is not something he's going to get as an everyday starter. Change is minutes down to a far more reasonable 30-32 MPG and his counting stats become far more pedestrain

Collison starting and IT being the 6th man sounds MUCH better, but yeah we will see, Ray Mac seems more like a scoring guard, will probably end up being more in the mold of a Reggie Jackson type when its all said and done.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think it's clear that the front office believes in what Ray can do and have the potential to do for them. He buys into the system, plays defense, passes the ball and knows his role. I'm sure he will keep improving on the shot also, he just needs playing time which he will get plenty of this year so we can evaluate him for a 82 game season.

Entity

Hall of Famer
His stats are inflated. 45 MPG is not something he's going to get as an everyday starter. Change is minutes down to a far more reasonable 30-32 MPG and his counting stats become far more pedestrain
When IT came back and cousins was playing after he got the experience under his belt he got 11pts 6ast 3reb shot 55%fg and 50%3pt in 28 min. I will take that all day

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I agree that Ray performed very well when he finally got an opportunity last year. He was billed as more of a scorer than a pure point, probably because he played for a small school in college which needed him to score more, but his assist to turnover ratio was a solid 3:1 which was better than Thomas' last year (2.1:1) or for his career (2.3:1). He only started 10 games for us last year but in those 10 starts he had 2 games with 10 assists, 1 game with 9 assists, and 3 games with 8 assists. He reached 5 assists in the other 4 starts. Yes the minutes played inflated his numbers, and he struggled with his shot at times, but for his first go 'round I think he showed that he's quite capable of being a distributor at this level. We know that assists will be a point of emphasis this season -- we were dead last for the year and that has to change. I think minimizing turnovers should be a point of emphasis as well.

Signing Collison for a midlevel deal seems to reinforce the faith our staff has in McCallum. 10 games isn't a big enough sample to bet a whole season on, but if we bring in a steady vet who's had some success as a starter and off the bench it gives us flexibility to hand Ray the starting job when he earns it but keep him on the bench if he doesn't.

dude12

Hall of Famer
When IT came back and cousins was playing after he got the experience under his belt he got 11pts 6ast 3reb shot 55%fg and 50%3pt in 28 min. I will take that all day
Entity...I was calling for the team to free Ray for most of the season while they kept playing Jimmer. I never understood that. I thought it was clear that once given time, the kid would hold his own. I like this signing as it feels like the team is going to play both heavy minutes. Ray is better defensively, IMO, than Collison and certainly way better than the diminutive IT. The whole key is to this season is if Stauskas and Ben can play adequate NBA minutes and can we acquire a shotblocking type big. But I love Ray's game.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Entity...I was calling for the team to free Ray for most of the season while they kept playing Jimmer. I never understood that. I thought it was clear that once given time, the kid would hold his own. I like this signing as it feels like the team is going to play both heavy minutes. Ray is better defensively, IMO, than Collison and certainly way better than the diminutive IT. The whole key is to this season is if Stauskas and Ben can play adequate NBA minutes and can we acquire a shotblocking type big. But I love Ray's game.
I think before its all said and done we will have two of the top sg under 24

Entity

Hall of Famer
I agree that Ray performed very well when he finally got an opportunity last year. He was billed as more of a scorer than a pure point, probably because he played for a small school in college which needed him to score more, but his assist to turnover ratio was a solid 3:1 which was better than Thomas' last year (2.1:1) or for his career (2.3:1). He only started 10 games for us last year but in those 10 starts he had 2 games with 10 assists, 1 game with 9 assists, and 3 games with 8 assists. He reached 5 assists in the other 4 starts. Yes the minutes played inflated his numbers, and he struggled with his shot at times, but for his first go 'round I think he showed that he's quite capable of being a distributor at this level. We know that assists will be a point of emphasis this season -- we were dead last for the year and that has to change. I think minimizing turnovers should be a point of emphasis as well.

Signing Collison for a midlevel deal seems to reinforce the faith our staff has in McCallum. 10 games isn't a big enough sample to bet a whole season on, but if we bring in a steady vet who's had some success as a starter and off the bench it gives us flexibility to hand Ray the starting job when he earns it but keep him on the bench if he doesn't.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I watched Ray Mac's end of the season highlights last night--seems a lot of "us" are sleeping on him. He could end up like IT--a forgotten player who suddenly shows how valuable he is. Keep an eye out for him come this Summer League. Everyone arguing about fit can just look at Ray and DC--to me, they are the type of PGs we've been clamoring for. Perhaps they aren't the elite ones we wished for (Rondo et al) but it's a step in the right direction for all those wishing to see team basketball instead of ISO all day.

I watched Ray Mac's end of the season highlights last night--seems a lot of "us" are sleeping on him. He could end up like IT--a forgotten player who suddenly shows how valuable he is. Keep an eye out for him come this Summer League. Everyone arguing about fit can just look at Ray and DC--to me, they are the type of PGs we've been clamoring for. Perhaps they aren't the elite ones we wished for (Rondo et al) but it's a step in the right direction for all those wishing to see team basketball instead of ISO all day.
Absolutely. We have two Point Guards who won't freeze anyone out with ballhog play, both are interested in making others better, and will put in defensive effort. That bodes well for a much improved season and future

i've seen reports on twitter that the Kings are very high on McCallum right now too

so im assuming along with his strong play to end the season that he is looking good right now. Summer league will be fun to watch to see how McCallum and McLemore have improved, and of course check out Stauskas

Yes his stats were inflated by minutes per game, but it's still impressive considering it took him a few games to get the jitters out and get rolling.

Yes his stats were inflated by minutes per game, but it's still impressive considering it took him a few games to get the jitters out and get rolling.
also impressive considering it was pretty much his first real minutes on an NBA floor. He had hardly even seen the floor all season before that

And then there's the height thing. IT, 5'9" (if barely), DC, 6'0" (maybe bit taller), RayMac, 6'3" - plus Kings other PG in a pinch Nik at 6'6."
Actually Collison and Ray are the same height. I'm not sure where the 6'3 exaggeration came from, but he's really just under 6'2 in shoes. They also have the same standing reach and wingspan. Ray just has a bit more weight on him...
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ray-McCallum-5718/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Darren-Collison-1149/

It will be interesting to see if Ray has hit the weights, from what I saw he has quite a frame to add strength. He isn't the quickest guard in the league but if he can build his body up he could really bully some guards around.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Actually Collison and Ray are the same height. I'm not sure where the 6'3 exaggeration came from, but he's really just under 6'2 in shoes. They also have the same standing reach and wingspan. Ray just has a bit more weight on him...
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ray-McCallum-5718/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Darren-Collison-1149/
I've been railing against the 6'3" exaggeration for a year to no effect. I don't know where it came from, as at the combine he was measured at 6'1.75" in shoes. Can't round that up to 6'3". I believe that the official Kings roster may list him at 6'3", but that doesn't make it so. However, there is a strong tendency for people to ignore the combine measurements as if they were being made with a stochastic ruler and to insert their own values based on things like how tall their buddy thought somebody looked when they walked past them at the movie theater.

That's the reason why I like the Collison signing. Ray is not ready to start, so let him play 2 seasons behind Collison. He's got the talent and assets to be a very good player in this league. Don't rush things!

I like Ray but he's got a lot of work to do, his finishing at the rim was a real problem.

Not super excited about Collison but he is a huge upgrade on Ray thats for sure.

I've been railing against the 6'3" exaggeration for a year to no effect. I don't know where it came from, as at the combine he was measured at 6'1.75" in shoes. Can't round that up to 6'3". I believe that the official Kings roster may list him at 6'3", but that doesn't make it so. However, there is a strong tendency for people to ignore the combine measurements as if they were being made with a stochastic ruler and to insert their own values based on things like how tall their buddy thought somebody looked when they walked past them at the movie theater.
My cousin saw Sim Bhullar at a gas station in New Mexico and swears that he is an 8 footer. :eek: Is this eye witness account credible enough to go on....or should we stick with the tape measure?

Entity

Hall of Famer
One game is indicative of nothing.
You are right. His stats were better in the 10 previous games. That was a game in which he only played 28 min. Are 12 games indicative of nothing? What is your magic number here? It was never my intent to use that one game as an example. Further reading of the thread would have shown you that..

Entity

Hall of Famer
My cousin saw Sim Bhullar at a gas station in New Mexico and swears that he is an 8 footer. :eek: Is this eye witness account credible enough to go on....or should we stick with the tape measure?
I find it odd that some people think you never grow at all after the nba combine. As if they have special machine there that stunts growth so their measuments can never be questioned. In fact the human body can get taller all the way to 27 years of age. For real life example a player we kind of documented on several occasions here was Donte Greene. He was 6'9 in shoes at combine and was an easy 6'11 when traded by the kings

Well just to play devils advocate lets apply the same thinking to IT. I suggest he will never be in a situation again like he was in with the Kings last season post Vasquez. Do we have a stat on IT's MPG on the 54 games he started? Once Vasquez left there was no option for many, many games and IT took advantage to post some incredible stats. Do we all remember the fast break he was on with JT?

I like IT and he has earned a payday. The Kings have rumored their limit to be 6 mil a year. So if IT can get more he should do it IMO. If he cannot and signs with the Kings I think he will have a reduced role due to there being options at the 1 spot for Malone this upcoming season. Those options are an improved Ray Mac and Collison.

KB

You are right. His stats were better in the 10 previous games. That was a game in which he only played 28 min. Are 12 games indicative of nothing? What is your magic number here? It was never my intent to use that one game as an example. Further reading of the thread would have shown you that..
All I'm saying is that he won't put up a statline of 11pts 6ast 3reb shot 55%fg and 50%3pt. That is way too optimistic.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I find it odd that some people think you never grow at all after the nba combine. As if they have special machine there that stunts growth so their measuments can never be questioned.
What's really odd is that there are people who think players can get 2-3 inches shorter after the combine, that's what gets me. People can grow, most of them don't.

In fact the human body can get taller all the way to 27 years of age. For real life example a player we kind of documented on several occasions here was Donte Greene. He was 6'9 in shoes at combine and was an easy 6'11 when traded by the kings
Getting taller until the age of 27 is freak one-in-a-million stuff, not every-third-player-in-the-NBA stuff. Most men are done growing by 18, almost all men are done by 20-21.

For the most part, when players "grow" after the combine, especially guys like Ray McCallum who came out after his junior year, any "growth" after the combine is "grade inflation". I mean, Ray was wearing 1.5" shoes at the combine and you'd still have to round up to get him to 6'2" in shoes. That's in May. We sign him in July and he's 6'3"? McCallum, by the way, was listed at 6'1" in high school. So for his first three years of college, after his growth plates should already be closed he grows a maximum of an inch, and then in two months after the NBA combine he grows another inch? At age 22? Nuh-uh.

I'm pretty sure Donte was grade inflation as well, by the way. Much as we wished him to be that tall, he never looked over 6'9" on the court. Grant and Jerry even called out Kings fans for overstating his height on a broadcast once.