Ranking teams young cores

Where would you rank the kings out of the NBAs young cores? Young being subjective but lets say players still on their rookie deals or under 25? I would assume all star or all NBA potential would weight heaviy in the rankings but maybe not.

No other young core is as complete or deep as ours. We have no holes. We also have a few really high potential guys.

I think there's gonna be a synergy that kicks in with these kids. A camaraderie and a synergy. You can only do that with the right personalities.

10 great young players in about a year's time (WCS excepted). Let's just step back a second and appreciate this. This is Vlade's, and Vlade's only, work.

Fox -1
Mason -1
Hield - 2
Bogdan - 2/3
Malachi - 2/3
Jackson - 3
Skal - 4
Giles - 4/5
Papa - 5
WCS - 4/5

That's about as balanced a young core as you can get with the possible exception that you'd like someone to be a standout 3 at some point.

Granted we haven't seen the new rooks play, but there are virtually no busts in that whole group. That is incredible. Some may not full reach their ceiling. But every single one of those players has either proved he's an NBA player, or the wide consensus is they are (Mason for example).

Vets: Temple, Koufos, ???

This still leaves McLemore who did show signs of improvement end of last year.

If Bogdan indeed comes over that only leaves 2 spots for FA signings. Give me Iggy and Z-bo on two year deals and let's not look back.

Almost our whole team is going to be at Summer League.

Last edited:
1) Philadelphia
  • have their future Big 3 in Embiid, Simmons and Fultz and most talent out of all young cores in the league
  • several future role players (Saric, Covington, Luwawu-Cabarrot, Okafor
2) Milwaukee
  • have one of the best future stars of the league, Giannis
  • Jabari parker, if healthy, can also become an All_Star (averaged 20.1 ppg, 6.2 rpg last season)
  • other young core pieces include Brogdon (2016-17 ROY), Thon Maker and DJ Wilson
3) Sacramento
  • likely the largest assortment of young talent in the league (youngest team in the league, just over 23 y.o. on average)
  • potential stars in Fox, Skal and, if healthy, Giles
  • other young core pieces include Hield, WCS, Mason, Justin Jackson, Bogdanovic and Mason
4) L.A. Lakers
  • just drafted what could be the best player in an extremely stacked draft
  • potential future stars include Ball and Ingram
  • other young pieces are Clarkson, Randle, Nance Jr.
  • can't ignore the potential for them to obtain Paul George

5) Phoenix
  • future star in Devin Booker, recent #4 pick Josh Jackson potential star
  • other young core pieces include Chriss, Bender and Elis

1. 76ers:
  • Markelle Fultz
  • Ben Simmons
  • Joel Embiid
  • Dario Saric
  • Jahlil Okafor
  • Robert Covington
  • Timothe Luwawu
  • Anzejs Pasceniks
  • Jonah Bolden
  • TJ McConnell
  • (my ****ing god this team is loaded)
2. Milwaukee
  • Giannis Antetokounmpo (younger than Buddy, WCS, Bogdanovic, Mason)
  • Khris Middleton
  • Jabari Parker
  • Thon Maker
  • Malcom Brogdon
  • DJ Wilson
3. Nuggets
  • Nikola Jokic
  • Jamaal Murray
  • Gary Harris
  • Juan Hernangomez
  • Emmauel Mudiay
  • Trey Lyles
  • Tyler Lydon
  • Malik Beasley

4. Lakers:
  • Lonzo Ball
  • Brandon Ingram
  • Jordan Clarkson
  • Julius Randle
  • Larry Nance Jr
  • Ivica Zubac
  • Josh Hart
  • Kyle Kuzma
  • Thomas Bryant
5. Kings:
  • Buddy Hield
  • DeAaron Fox
  • Skal Labissiere
  • WCS
  • Bogdan Bogdanovic
  • Malachi Richardson
  • Georgios Papagiannis
  • Justin Jackson
  • Harry Giles
  • Frank Mason
I don't think Minnesota's core is young enough to be included because Butler is already 27, and going to turn 28.

The NBA has some really really strong young cores. With the Kings, we just need one of these young players to step up and become our franchise player.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd like to see the five new players play before we start having this conversation. In the meantime, it's hard to argue against Minnesota and I would say Philly but we've yet to see their two number one overall picks play a single game so again, I'll wait.

Also, keep an eye out for the Bucks. They have their star player and they are slowly but surely surrounding him with complimentary pieces. The question now is what are they going to do with Jabari Parker moving forward?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
1. 76ers:
  • Markelle Fultz
  • Ben Simmons
  • Joel Embiid
  • Dario Saric
  • Jahlil Okafor
  • Robert Covington
  • Timothe Luwawu
  • Anzejs Pasceniks
  • Jonah Bolden
  • TJ McConnell
2. Milwaukee
  • Khris Middleton
  • Jabari Parker
  • Thon Maker
  • Malcom Brogdon
  • DJ Wilson
3. Nuggets
  • Nikola Jokic
  • Jamaal Murray
  • Gary Harris
  • Juan Hernangomez
  • Emmauel Mudiay
  • Trey Lyles
  • Tyler Lydon
  • Malik Beasley

4. Lakers:
  • Lonzo Ball
  • Brandon Ingram
  • Jordan Clarkson
  • Julius Randle
  • Larry Nance Jr
  • Ivica Zubac
  • Josh Hart
  • Kyle Kuzma
  • Thomas Bryant
5. Kings:
  • Buddy Hield
  • DeAaron Fox
  • Skal Labissiere
  • WCS
  • Bogdan Bogdanovic
  • Malachi Richardson
  • Georgios Papagiannis
  • Justin Jackson
  • Harry Giles
  • Frank Mason
I don't think Minnesota's core is young enough to be included because Butler is already 27, and going to turn 28.

The NBA has some really really strong young cores. With the Kings, we just need one of these young players to step up and become our franchise player.
I really hope Embiid and Simmons can stay healthy because I'd like to see a team that can take it to the Cavs, and Philly is one team that has the potential of doing so.

I really hope Embiid and Simmons can stay healthy because I'd like to see a team that can take it to the Cavs, and Philly is one team that has the potential of doing so.
Dude, that healthy Philly team is loaded from top to bottom. If they're healthy, the only thing stopping them from beating the Cavs in the ECF is their inexperience. This is a dynasty waiting to happen. I even forgot guys like Richaun Holmes, Justin Anderson, Methias Lessort, and Furkan Korkmaz because they're so deep. (did not leave out Stauskas on accident).

Oh I just knew all you people would come on here with your "objective" evaluations. :D:D:D
I think we have the most potential though :D

If justin Jackson had Casspi's rookie season, wouldn't we be pumped? If Malachi Richardson put up Donte Greene's 2nd year numbers, wouldn't that be a success? If Fox came anywhere close to Reke's rookie year, if Papa G puts up Spencer Hawes numbers, if Mason puts up IT numbers... Not saying that those are the ceilings, but it's still very early to predict greatness. If half of our young guys are worth keeping around, it will be a great success.

The other young teams are a little more experienced than the kings, but have kids that have shown star quality already.

What I'm saying is these guys are a long ways away and even if they meet our optimisitc expectations,that doesn't make this a great or even good team. While I'm excited, we still need at least 2 of these guys to break out into studs, and take another shot at one in the next draft.

That's the big thing with philly. They have not proven anything yet and I have my doubts that embidd can stay healthy for a full year, let alone a long 5 years span to say they can be that next super team.

Furthermore, their 2 cornerstone players Simmons and Fultz played on losing teams in college. If they were that good, the very least they would do is get their teams to the big dance, which they couldn't.

Right now, I think philly is really talking and tweeting way too much trash for a team that has not proven anything.

No other young core is as complete or deep as ours. We have no holes. We also have a few really high potential guys.

I think there's gonna be a synergy that kicks in with these kids. A camaraderie and a synergy. You can only do that with the right personalities.

10 great young players in about a year's time (WCS excepted). Let's just step back a second and appreciate this. This is Vlade's, and Vlade's only, work.

Fox -1
Mason -1
Hield - 2
Bogdan - 2/3
Malachi - 2/3
Jackson - 3
Skal - 4
Giles - 4/5
Papa - 5
WCS - 4/5

That's about as balanced a young core as you can get with the possible exception that you'd like someone to be a standout 3 at some point.

Granted we haven't seen the new rooks play, but there are virtually no busts in that whole group. That is incredible. Some may not full reach their ceiling. But every single one of those players has either proved he's an NBA player, or the wide consensus is they are (Mason for example).

Vets: Temple, Koufos, ???

This still leaves McLemore who did show signs of improvement end of last year.

If Bogdan indeed comes over that only leaves 2 spots for FA signings. Give me Iggy and Z-bo on two year deals and let's not look back.

Almost our whole team is going to be at Summer League.
Based purely on talent, I would have Philadelphia and Bucks ahead of the Kings. The reason being is simply if they stay healthy each team has a young franchise chancing centrepiece where as Kings have a lot of uknowns.

Giannis is a future MVP type of talent for the Bucks and Embiid is the same type of talent for Philadelphia. Kings as of right now don't have that player. Maybe one of the youngsters does jump out and gets to that level but at this point in time no one has done it. Maybe Fox is there in a couple of seasons, maybe he is not. Time will tell.

Its nice that we have "every position covered" but elite talent wins in this league. As of right now, Kings have a great bunch of complimentary pieces but no centerpiece that brings it all together. Hopefully by this time next year we have one in Fox.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's too early for us to have this conversation and include the Kings. Right now, Milwaukee, Minnesota and Philly (if they can stay healthy) have bonafide all-star players but we are in great shape. I really think we are one or two years behind them and if we don't get too excited we should be able to draft a final young piece next season along with making one big signing. We're in year 3 of the "new cap" and one of the few teams that hasn't just completely locked ourselves into big commitments on guys that are clearly being overpaid. That is going to be huge next year if we don't rush because our young guys are still going to be a year or two away from decision time.

I can not appreciate several of the teams mentioned with multiple number 1 picks in the last 5 years or 3 consecutive number 2 picks. Hard not to have superior young talent when you pick as high as Philli, LA ,and Minnesota over the last 5 years regardless of what they did to put themselves in that position.
Considering Sacramento has never picked higher than 5 since 2010, I like it a lot where we stand young talent wise.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I will say that what some of those teams did the past few seasons is embarrassing and I will laugh if it doesn't work out for them. What we've done in the past two offseasons is nothing short of remarkable. I think we need to erase the end of the Maloof era & the PDA/Mullin era from our collective memories and trust what Vlade has done the past 13 months or so. But there is no shame if we land a top 3 pick next year. I believe we're cultivating a winning culture and that starts with our coach, who I will assume has a commitment to see out the next two seasons given what he has been given to work with.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Tier 1:
Philly (if they can stay healthy) is #1 by a mile. Embiid was a monster when he played.

Tier 2:
Bucks. Giannis is a stud, future MVP. Jabari is great when healthy. Thon is looking like a legit player for them as well.
Minny. KAT and Wiggins are super young. They will continue to develop into an amazing duo.

Tier 3:
Suns/Nuggets/Lakers/Kings.

I feel like it's a wash in tier 3. The Nuggets probably have the best player in this group with Jokic. Booker is obviously a stud for the Suns. I think we have the most high potential guys on our team numbers wise (which speaks to Vlade's drafting and draft day trades), but nobody on our roster has really proved as much in the league as some of the other young players in this tier.

Tier 4:

.....I dunno, Orlando? They have a few intriguing pieces, but nobody that really screams future all star to me.

This will be a fun thread to come back to around the midway point of the season though! I seriously doubt we'll get on the Wolves/Bucks level, but if some of our guys start putting up major numbers, we could easily jump ahead of the Nuggets/Suns/and hated Lakers (especially after Fox kills Ball 4 times next season).

1. 76ers:
  • Markelle Fultz
  • Ben Simmons
  • Joel Embiid
  • Dario Saric
  • Jahlil Okafor
  • Robert Covington
  • Timothe Luwawu
  • Anzejs Pasceniks
  • Jonah Bolden
  • TJ McConnell
2. Milwaukee
  • Khris Middleton
  • Jabari Parker
  • Thon Maker
  • Malcom Brogdon
  • DJ Wilson
3. Nuggets
  • Nikola Jokic
  • Jamaal Murray
  • Gary Harris
  • Juan Hernangomez
  • Emmauel Mudiay
  • Trey Lyles
  • Tyler Lydon
  • Malik Beasley

4. Lakers:
  • Lonzo Ball
  • Brandon Ingram
  • Jordan Clarkson
  • Julius Randle
  • Larry Nance Jr
  • Ivica Zubac
  • Josh Hart
  • Kyle Kuzma
  • Thomas Bryant
5. Kings:
  • Buddy Hield
  • DeAaron Fox
  • Skal Labissiere
  • WCS
  • Bogdan Bogdanovic
  • Malachi Richardson
  • Georgios Papagiannis
  • Justin Jackson
  • Harry Giles
  • Frank Mason

This is a good list. I think you can flip-flop us and the Lakers as neither team has a real established franchise player yet with some good depth.

Jokic and Giannis alone vault those cores near the top. Think both guys make a case as top 10 players next year.