Rally Behind Boogie!

Where does Boogie rank among the NBA's best players?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Alright, enough gloom and doom for the moment. No matter how much, or how little, you think of the misguided and perhaps even flat dishonest newbies in our front office, there is one big reason to still take pride as a Kings fan:

If there lies a salvation in this season, it lies with this man. We're 14-12 when he's on the court. And he's beginning to put on a show again. And a show for you to boot:

Home Game Stats since returning from illness:

MIL 27pts 11reb 5ast 1stl 0blk 6TO
LAL 29pts 14reb 2ast 2stl 3blk 2TO
NYK 39pts 11reb 4ast 0stl 2blk 5TO
OKC 23pts 15reb 4ast 1stl 3blk 6TO
DEN 32pts 13reb 4ast 3stl 4blk 7TO
CLE 26pts 13reb 5ast 4stl 3blk 1TO
-----------------------------------
TOT: 29.3pts 12.8reb 4.0ast 1.8stl 2.5blk 4.5TO

To give you some idea, when David Robinson won his MVP in 1994 he averaged 29.8pts 10.7reb 4.8ast 1.7stl 3.3blk 3.2TO. When Shaquile O'Neal won his MVP in 2000 he averaged 29.7pts 13.6reb 3.8ast 0.5stl 3.0blk 2.8TO. The man is on a flat out MVP level run at home, and he's fighting to turn things. In 2 of the last 3 home games we've had our most dominant wins since the Malone firing and Cuz has been everywhere.

I am not asking for, or giving, clemency to the front office. If you attend a game and want to pelt PDA with rotten fruit that's fine. If you want to slap a Kick Me poster on his back, that's fine. If you want to give him an atomic wedgie, give him one for me too. But don't let it spill over to the big guy. Boogie was a darkhorse MVP candidate in the early season before the illness and the front office nonsense. He's starting to play that way again. Its been a dozen years since Kings fans had a player even in this neighborhood to root for. If we lose him we'll be lucky to find another one in the next dozen. If we can hold onto him I can make a good argument he could end up as the 2nd greatest player in the nearly 70 year history of the franchise.

So no more whining, not about Boogie. He is the hope here, and he needs your help. He needs to hear you behind him at the arena. He needs you to chip in a few All Star votes. To engage in a little sparring with a naysayer. To harass a media member trying to write him out of NYC. You've got the best big man to enter the league in the last 20 years on your roster, and he's pouring it on. Don't miss out on the experience because of extraneous garbage or front office hijinks. When you get down to it, you don't pay to watch those idiots, you want to watch the guys on the floor. And there might be 2 or 3 fanbases in the whole league right now with somebody better to cheer on (actually I don't even believe that, but I'll hold the big stats for later).

Rally behind the Boogie Man! The team needs it. The fans need it. The whole franchise needs it.

Last edited:
The way I'm going to approach this question is in a vacuum, and I encourage everyone else to do the same.
  • Age does not matter (meaning the NBA would cease to exist after this 1 season)
  • Salary does not matter (meaning there are no salary caps)
  • Contract length does not matter (again, meaning the NBA would cease to exist after this 1 season)
  • Fantasy Draft (re-draft by all the NBA GMs)
Drafting with the number one overall pick in this fantasy re-draft, these are my top choices in order:
  1. LeBron
  2. Durant
  3. Cousins

i have never liked an NBA player as much as Boogie. I just love the guy on & off the floor. Love his skillset and his competitive drive. He HATES to lose and i LOVE IT!

NBA ranks
1/2 - LeBron or Durant
3 - Curry
4 - Boogie
5 - Westbrook

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
As he mentioned, if he made the all-star team he becomes that much more confident, not that he isn't but it's still a nice achievement to have. I picked him as the 3rd best overall player right now and it's scary to think he can be the best if he just gets this team to multiple playoff appearances and dominates in the most important games of all. I can't imagine what would happen if he got snubbed again...I mean how Dwight Howard has more votes than him is baffling. Dwight really has turned himself into one of the most unlikable players in the league with his antics. It would be an epic shame if the Kings don't contend soon with this man at the centerpiece because you only get one of these type of franchise changing players every decade or more...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
As he mentioned, if he made the all-star team he becomes that much more confident, not that he isn't but it's still a nice achievement to have. I picked him as the 3rd best overall player right now and it's scary to think he can be the best if he just gets this team to multiple playoff appearances and dominates in the most important games of all. I can't imagine what would happen if he got snubbed again...I mean how Dwight Howard has more votes than him is baffling. Dwight really has turned himself into one of the most unlikable players in the league with his antics. It would be an epic shame if the Kings don't contend soon with this man at the centerpiece because you only get one of these type of franchise changing players every decade or more...
It certainly is surprising how he and Blake Griffin keep getting free passes on their offseason offcourt issues. If it were Boogie, it would be all the media would talk about.

#8 and that was borderline.

He's gotta get his team to finish a seasoned at .500 and make the playoffs before I can consider him better.

Talent wise he's Top-3 but winning matters and he has not won. People can make all the excuses they want but players careers are ultimately judged on winning in combination with stats and talent.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
#8 and that was borderline.

He's gotta get his team to finish a seasoned at .500 and make the playoffs before I can consider him better.

Talent wise he's Top-3 but winning matters and he has not won. People can make all the excuses they want but players careers are ultimately judged on winning in combination with stats and talent.
So...if you cloned Anthony Davis, put one Anthony Davis with Golden State, another Anthony Davis with the Knicks, you would argue Anthony Davis was ranked higher than himself?

"Winning" is just a lazy approximation. We all use it when we don't know anything else about a guy. But when you do know anything else about him, or his team, then it should be just about the first stat thrown by the wayside as any individual player is only responsible for a fraction of it.

i'd put him behind lebron and durant. the guy is a game changer. he's dominant and could be deadly if the FO would stop diddling around with this retarded 3 oh pace crap and do whats best to build around him.

1) Lebron
2) Durant
3) Curry
4) Paul
5) Harden
6) Boogie
7) Davis
8) Lillard
9) Gasol
10) Aldridge
This looks about right, based on pure talent i would say its Lebron, Durant, Curry, Paul, Boogie. On a mix of talent and accomplishments Boogie has to drop down. We need to make a playoff run next season, no wishful thinking, it MUST be done. Once Boogie gets in the playoffs he will leap into the top 5 if not be regarded as # 3 overall. Davis is a freak talent but not a guy I can see taking over a series in the playoffs, sort of like Blake Griffin, you just can't go to them to get consistent buckets. Davis would be amazing in Phoenix.

So...if you cloned Anthony Davis, put one Anthony Davis with Golden State, another Anthony Davis with the Knicks, you would argue Anthony Davis was ranked higher than himself?

"Winning" is just a lazy approximation. We all use it when we don't know anything else about a guy. But when you do know anything else about him, or his team, then it should be just about the first stat thrown by the wayside as any individual player is only responsible for a fraction of it.
I didn't put Anthony Davis in front of him. I don't think he's as good as DMC and he hasn't won yet either. I did however put Lebron, Durant, Curry, Paul, Harden, Gasol, and Aldridge/Duncan in front of him. The guys I just listed are all big time winners and most of them show great leadership skills and ability to make their teammates better. Due to the fact that only 5 players are on the floor for a team at a time, basketball is a sport where you're best player makes a bigger difference than any sport. That has been known for years, one truly great game-changing player can dramatically change your fortunes in basketball.

"Winning" is never a lazy approximation when applied to a team's best player. On the contrary winning is almost everything. Otherwise what are they playing the games for? Do they play for stats? Do they play for highlights? Do they play to see who looks the best in a uniform? No you play to win and DeMarcus has never won at this (NBA) level. That's a fact that you can't argue. He hasn't won and he hasn't shown the leadership ability to make his teammates better and overcome obstacles.

Could he win in the future? Absolutely and he was showing signs early this season before the front office and a virus messed up his progress. However that doesn't erase the fact that he hasn't won yet and all I can go by is what is and not what could be. He still has room for growth in terms of leadership and making his teammates better......when he completes that growth he will win more.

Finally Bricklayer, you seem to have a habit of picking and choosing argument methods (stats vs. opinion, fact vs. what if, etc.) depending on what fits your particular agenda. Maybe it works for people you can bully "lawyer-style" into thinking you are always the smartest guy in the room but it doesn't work against those that are paying attention.

You constantly attack PDA and guys like him for his use of data and stats by calling him things like "stat geek" and "number cruncher". Yet you come up with these lengthy threads filled with all of these statistics to support your argument (which are good threads by the way). Which is it? Do you support stats or not? In one thread you are all about them but then if someone else tries to use them against your argument suddenly they don't matter.

When it comes to other players and teams, you're all about Wins/Losses in evaluating that player or team yet when we talk about Cousins or Tyreke Evans suddenly wins/losses are off the table and excuses go on the table. No doubt you'd hold something like wins/losses against a guy like Kevin Love and Carmelo (as we should) yet that's off limits with Cousins?

Bottom line is that winning matters. It's the only thing that matters. If Cousins is as good as you think he is at some point he has to win.

I think Cousins is definitely outside of the top 5. Here is my top 10 list

1. Stephen Curry
2. Lebron James
3. Kevin Durant
4. James Harden
5. LaMarcus Aldridge
6. Russel Westbrook
7. Chris Paul
8. DeMarcus Cousins
9. Anthony Davis
10. Damian Lillard

I like how winning is the reason everyone won't put boogie in the top 3 but the media darling anthony davis is a top 3 player and his team isn't winning poopoo. Atleast cousins proved how he can lead a team when Malone was here.
Who here put Anthony Davis as a Top-3? Paranoid much? Why do I get the feeling that if Tyreke Evans was still here he'd be Top-10 on a list made by Kings fans. This is why as a general rule you can't trust hometown fans opinions of their own players especially on bad teams. They over value the hell out of them. Minnesota fans thought Kevin Love was a Top-5 NBA Player too, how is that working out now?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think Cousins is definitely outside of the top 5. Here is my top 10 list

1. Stephen Curry
2. Lebron James
3. Kevin Durant
4. James Harden
5. LaMarcus Aldridge
6. Russel Westbrook
7. Chris Paul
8. DeMarcus Cousins
9. Anthony Davis
10. Damian Lillard
Demarcus is outproducing Aldridge in literally every category whist playing less minutes per game and recovering from a serious medical condition on a team led by the most mentally unstable front office in the NBA now playing a style completely uncomplimentary to Boogie's strengths.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Who here put Anthony Davis as a Top-3? Paranoid much? Why do I get the feeling that if Tyreke Evans was still here he'd be Top-10 on a list made by Kings fans. This is why as a general rule you can't trust hometown fans opinions of their own players especially on bad teams. They over value the hell out of them. Minnesota fans thought Kevin Love was a Top-5 NBA Player too, how is that working out now?
What is your obsession with Tyreke? Did I hit my head and wake up in 2012 or something?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So no more whining, not about Boogie. He is the hope here, and he needs your help. He needs to hear you behind him at the arena. He needs you to chip in a few All Star votes. To engage in a little sparring with a naysayer. To harass a media member trying to write him out of NYC. You've got the best big man to enter the league in the last 20 years on your roster, and he's pouring it on. Don't miss out on the experience because of extraneous garbage or front office hijinks. When you get down to it, you don't pay to watch those idiots, you want to watch the guys on the floor. And there might be 2 or 3 fanbases in the whole league right now with somebody better to cheer on (actually I don't even believe that, but I'll hold the big stats for later).

Rally behind the Boogie Man! The team needs it. The fans need it. The whole franchise needs it.
THIS is the point of this particular thread, in case it's already getting lost in the shuffle. You can argue about his place within the top 10, but he's definitely in there and on the rise.

What is your obsession with Tyreke? Did I hit my head and wake up in 2012 or something?
Hey I'm not the one who brought him up first for 2 pages in the other thread crying over spilt milk. Reason I mention his name is I know how things work around here. A few years ago people here were trying to figure out where Tyreke fit in the Top-10 of NBA Players too.

I didn't put Anthony Davis in front of him. I don't think he's as good as DMC and he hasn't won yet either. I did however put Lebron, Durant, Curry, Paul, Harden, Gasol, and Aldridge/Duncan in front of him. The guys I just listed are all big time winners and most of them show great leadership skills and ability to make their teammates better. Due to the fact that only 5 players are on the floor for a team at a time, basketball is a sport where you're best player makes a bigger difference than any sport. That has been known for years, one truly great game-changing player can dramatically change your fortunes in basketball.

"Winning" is never a lazy approximation when applied to a team's best player. On the contrary winning is almost everything. Otherwise what are they playing the games for? Do they play for stats? Do they play for highlights? Do they play to see who looks the best in a uniform? No you play to win and DeMarcus has never won at this (NBA) level. That's a fact that you can't argue. He hasn't won and he hasn't shown the leadership ability to make his teammates better and overcome obstacles.

Could he win in the future? Absolutely and he was showing signs early this season before the front office and a virus messed up his progress. However that doesn't erase the fact that he hasn't won yet and all I can go by is what is and not what could be. He still has room for growth in terms of leadership and making his teammates better......when he completes that growth he will win more.

Finally Bricklayer, you seem to have a habit of picking and choosing argument methods (stats vs. opinion, fact vs. what if, etc.) depending on what fits your particular agenda. Maybe it works for people you can bully "lawyer-style" into thinking you are always the smartest guy in the room but it doesn't work against those that are paying attention.

You constantly attack PDA and guys like him for his use of data and stats by calling him things like "stat geek" and "number cruncher". Yet you come up with these lengthy threads filled with all of these statistics to support your argument (which are good threads by the way). Which is it? Do you support stats or not? In one thread you are all about them but then if someone else tries to use them against your argument suddenly they don't matter.

When it comes to other players and teams, you're all about Wins/Losses in evaluating that player or team yet when we talk about Cousins or Tyreke Evans suddenly wins/losses are off the table and excuses go on the table. No doubt you'd hold something like wins/losses against a guy like Kevin Love and Carmelo (as we should) yet that's off limits with Cousins?

Bottom line is that winning matters. It's the only thing that matters. If Cousins is as good as you think he is at some point he has to win.
Aldridge, Duncan and probably Paul are not even the best players on their team at this point in time. You may be over thinking this a bit.