Quit Smoking Update

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
slugking50 said:
Ive been smoke free fopr almost 8 years now and i get craving atlest once a week. Give it time and don't give in.
Well, to be fair, you're my age, Slug, which means that if you've been smoke-free for eight years, then you hadn't smoked for that long in the first place, comparatively speaking... 6th had smoked for... well, let's just say "rather longer," and leave it at that... :D

Hang in there, 6th; you can do it!

6th..

Stick with it as it does become easier. I had smoked for 40 years and quit 2 years ago last July 1st.

Every once in awhile I still get an urge to smoke and it makes me so mad. But don't give in and finally you will find that the urge will go away again.

I know if it were not for the danger of smoking I would be back smoking in a flash. I loved the whole experience of smoking.

In the first year, I kept a 7 day supply of the patches in my house so if the urge didn't go away within and hour or two, I would put the patch on and wear it for 24 hours and the urge would go away. This kept me from smoking that first Cig again!!!

Keep up the good work!

Alaskafan

Hey Now! Not Clerks but I was on the local NBC affiliate once and got yelled at by Mike Boyd for being an idiot and making noise running by him while he was doing a report at the old Sac Pier:eek:

Started at 15 Quit at 23. Im now 30. I quit Dec 18, 1997. I don't remember the time I was in a fog with Bronchitis then flu and a low oxygen level. If I waited 2 more days to go in I was told I would've been dead. That kind of helps in the decision process to quit.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Alaskafan said:
6th..

Stick with it as it does become easier. I had smoked for 40 years and quit 2 years ago last July 1st.

...I know if it were not for the danger of smoking I would be back smoking in a flash. I loved the whole experience of smoking.

Alaskafan
Thanks, Alaskafan. It always helps to talk with someone who really understands. I too would be smoking if I had not had some pretty significant chest pains last January 2nd. I loved the whole experience of smoking. That is what makes it so very hard when the urge gets so strong. I would much rather smoke than not smoke. **sigh** I am sticking with it, though.

When the urge gets really tough, I just come here and talk about it amongst friends. Their encouragement has really got me through the rough times.

6th

The reward system helped for me. I rewarded myself with having someone clean my condo twice a month to reward me for not smoking. I hate cleaning so that was a reward for me. Now days its is cheaper hiring someone to clean your house than it is to smoke!

The thought of having to go back and clean my condo again helps me decide I don't want to smoke as can't afford both.

To stop smoking after all those years is one of the hardest things I have ever done. So I can say, I know how you feel. You and I are of the generation that was fooled into how wonderful it was to smoke and how we had, "Come A Long Ways Baby!!"

Alaskafan

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
loopymitch said:
^^ you still have cravings after all this time?? Not great incentive for those of us who are thinking about quitting.:(
It's primarily mind over matter AND getting help from friends when the going gets tough.

I started smoking when I was 15 and quit 37 years later. I smoked at least a pack a day and sometimes up to two packs a day.

People stop for different reasons. In my case, I made a death-bed promise to someone who died of cancer. No way, no how I can go back on that one so no matter the urges, I haven't resumed smoking.

If you're thinking about quitting, just do it. Take the plunge. I know you're strong-willed and YOU know you'll have the constant support of those of us around here who care about you.

Do it for us but, more importantly, do it for you AND those who love you! And think of the money you'll save. You might be able to treat yourself to a new PURPLE Kings jersey just with the savings.

GO LOOPYMITCH!!!!

"Do it for us but, more importantly, do it for you AND those who love you! And think of the money you'll save. You might be able to treat yourself to a new PURPLE Kings jersey just with the savings."

Why don't you do yourself right and go for the GOLD one?? ;)

You know, loopy, everyone here will be here for support.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hoopsie - You know I love you. Do NOT make me come to Sacramento to hunt you down and slap you with one of The Freak's trout!

;)

Thanks guys even you hoopsy ;) i'm not quite at that point yet but at least considering it which I've never done before. As soon as I decide I will let you know. Question though, there's lots of ex-smokers here, how did you quit? cold turkey, patch, cutting back, hypnosis, gum etc. I've heard a lot of different ways, just wondering which works best. I know my problem is going to be at work, I get soo bored I just keep lighting up and that's going to be the hardest part plus I don't need to put on the weight that comes along with quitting.

For whatever it's worth, I used a cut-back method. I figured the number of cigs per day, used that to set a schedule on how frequently I could have a smoke, and slowly extended the time periods until I was down to 2 a day (from 18). By then I was so unwell even a smoke tasted bad, and I was able to give them up completely.

If you buy by the carton, stop. Having to pay the higher price, and buy more often will help you stay aware of just how much you smoke. For me, it almost became a game to see how long I could make a pack last. To this day, I still use a subsitute (sugar-free candies) when I want a smoke. You might try that, or carrot sticks, some people actually suck a straw.

Don't be discouraged of you don't succeed the first time - it took me 4 attempts.
If you choose to accept this mission, we'll be here for you!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I quit cold turkey, only because it was a spur-of-the-moment thing. I've said before that I made a promise to someone who died of cancer. The specifics are: He died on Dec. 8, 2000 - with his family present and at peace. It was long expected. He died at home in his wife's arms. It was early morning. Later that afternoon, his wife called me and asked if I wanted his last carton of cigarettes. (He actually died of skin cancer, not lung... and continued to smoke right up until the end.) Linda (Barney's wife) didn't know that Barney and I had talked a while back and he said that if he could do anything over, it would be to NOT start smoking because even though the skin cancer was killing him, the cigarettes were the most vile part of his life and something his beloved Linda had put up with their entire marriage. (She didn't smoke.) I mentioned something about really needing to quit. He looked at me and said, "I'll tell you what. When I die, instead of sending flowers or a memorial contribution, quit smoking in my name. Can you do that?" I thought for a moment, and agreed...

When Linda offered me the cigarettes, I told her about my promise to Barney. We shared a few memories and I hung up. I reached into my purse, grabbed my pack of cigarettes, took them into the bathroom and crumpled them into the toilet. I have not smoked since...

Wow-that's really amazing that after such a long addiction, you were able to quit cold turkey, VF21. But how did you handle the physical withdrawals?? I have heard that they are worse than illegal drug withdrawals.

It always amazes me that even when some smokers are exposed firsthand to the effects of smoking (having a loved one die of a smoking-disease or close to that in VF21's case), it is still not enough to get them to quit smoking themselves. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The cravings were tough, but for me breaking a promise to Barney would have been much tougher. When I told my mom I had quit, she started to cry. She said she had been praying for years that I would stop and that I didn't need to ever give her another Christmas present. Knowing I had stopped smoking, she said, was the best gift she could ever have hoped for...

So, in my case, I was able to get a LOT of strength from Barney and from knowing how much it meant to Mom. And it's those things that have kept me from ever even thinking about going back ...

That might be the key for someone else who is thinking about quitting. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your loved ones who will have you around longer if you quit.

EDIT: Contrary to what you see and read, I think quitting smoking has to come from inside. You have to make up your mind once and for all that you are going to quit. Not that you're going to try to quit, but that you are GOING to quit. Take each moment as it comes, and don't be afraid to ask for a little moral support from your family and friends. If you slip, don't worry about it. Just resolve to look ahead and not back... your goal is to quit.

I don't know if it works for everyone, but I like to think that God gave me free will and freedom of choice for a reason. He also gave me strength of purpose. I chose to believe that I could use the very strength he gave me to quit doing something that could very likely end up killing me.

At the end of the day, however, it was the promise to Barney that kept me smoke-free. I don't believe in making promises I don't fully intend to keep. In this case, the only way I couldn't keep it would be if I consciously chose to break it. Talk about using my own stubbornness against me!

:D

Last edited:
Exactly-especially for those who have children or nieces, nephews, etc. Don't you want to be around for them in the future??

My aunt smoked for eighteen years and through two pregnancies (shows how awful the addiction is). One big motivator for her quitting was going to the doctor and having her lungs x-rayed. When the doctor showed the x-rays to her and she saw for herself how much damage she had done, that was it. But even though she's been smoke-free for almost 20 years now, she says that she can still feel the affects smoking had caused permanently-being more short of breath, etc.

loopymitch said:
Thanks guys even you hoopsy ;) i'm not quite at that point yet but at least considering it which I've never done before. As soon as I decide I will let you know. Question though, there's lots of ex-smokers here, how did you quit? cold turkey, patch, cutting back, hypnosis, gum etc. I've heard a lot of different ways, just wondering which works best. I know my problem is going to be at work, I get soo bored I just keep lighting up and that's going to be the hardest part plus I don't need to put on the weight that comes along with quitting.
Loops, you eat the quantity and substance of the average rabbit (suplimented with the odd slice of water mellon) I doubt very much that giving up fags is going to see you balloon up to school bus size ! ;)

loopymitch

I quit using the Patch. The first 4 days were the hardest. I tried cold turkey but failed a couple of times. But made up my mind to quit using the patch and it worked for me. I did not have that knawing feeling in the pit of my stomach with the patch. I stayed on the 21mg for 4 weeks then the 14mg for 2 weeks and didn't need to drop to the the 7mg. I used Walmarts own brand which are cheaper and worked better for me than Nicoderm.

I can't believe that you can smoke at work. Work places here in Alaska have been smoke free since the late 1980's. I made it a habit to NEVER smoke in my car so that made 2 places that I did not smoke.

I agree with "arwen undomiel", buying Cigs only by the pack helps in cutting down. You tend to ration out the smokes instead of lighting up everytime you think of it. To help I also only smoked in one area of my home, an extra bedroom that I could keep the window opened in and stuffed something under the door to help keep the smoke smell out of the rest of the house. Therefore I had to get up and go into that room to smoke. This helped me when I made the decision to quit.

Good luck, we will all be here for you.

Alaskafan

Actually Ga. is also smoke free state so you have to go outside which is harder in winter(not fan of the cold) but I can stand in the doorway of where I am and as no-one else is in my area at night, it's easy to do. I do buy cartons but the pack idea sounds good, I'm not going to feel like running to the store all the time. Thanks for all the ideas and words of encouragement everyone. Definitely given me some things to think about. Anyone else got any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Wow, I would of never thought that Alaska has been a smoke-free state since the late 80's. It just struck me as the kind of state where people could smoke anywhere. But in reality, they've been smoke-free much longer than even here in CA!

loopymitch said:
^^ you still have cravings after all this time?? Not great incentive for those of us who are thinking about quitting.:(

Not all the time. It matters from week to week. This week i havent had any. nowadays I can just tell it to stop and most of the time it works.

RoyalDiva said:
Wow, I would of never thought that Alaska has been a smoke-free state since the late 80's. It just struck me as the kind of state where people could smoke anywhere. But in reality, they've been smoke-free much longer than even here in CA!
No smoking in restaurants enacted in the last 3 years but you can still smoke in Bars. This is in Anchorage. Outside of Anchorage some areas still have smoking areas in restaurants and you can smoke in bars.

The taxes are high on smokes. I think red pack Marlboro are $6 to $7 a pack. Very expensive!

Alaskafan