Question for audiophiles/teckies

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
So over the past year I upgraded to a new computer with Windows 8 and a new Android smart phone. The problem is that the computer wants to use XBox music not the old Windows Meda Player, and the Droid wants to play music files with the yahoo player, which has a habit of sending sound files to new untitled folders or changing song order. Years ago I bought a copy of Nero, and loved it but that as before using a smartphone as a player. My question is this: is there a good software package that I can use to rip CD's, and has a compatable Android app. I really hate having my files compressed, so MP3 format is not ok. Suggestions?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I presently use RealPlayer. Don't have a clue if it has an app. I create CDs as a sidelight. Any file that has been compressed will not regain any fidelity by uncompressing it. What is lost is lost and an mp3 at 192kbps covers all the fidelity any human could need. If you are listening to music on a phone or a computer I will guarantee you that the limit to the quality of sound is the computer or the phone.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Maybe WinAmp? I dunno, as I don't keep a music library on my phone, I just use spotify and songza.

I guess you'd want to use FLAC files?

I've seen Poweramp called the best Android music player app but don't know how it corresponds with a PC app.

Windows 8/8.1 problem:
- Right click your file/song > Properties > Opens with > change to Windows Media Player (as opposed to the "Music" app)

Ripping CDs:
- You can probably still use WMP to rip your CDs. If you want lossless audio then you probably should export as .wav instead of .wma or .mp3. Though, it's unlikely you'll be discern anything above 200kbps vs. absolute raw formats
- Alternatively, you can download Audacity which is a free software. I use it to edit songs but it has the ability to export songs as FLAC (free lossless audio codec). Most audio and video players should support flac, both on Windows and Android phone. VLC is a nice, lightweight app for both that should meet your needs. If you want fancy, throw in a couple bucks to purchase PowerAmp for your phone--you can use their free/trial version first if you'd like.

Summary:
- Change default music player to Windows Media Player again
- Use Audacity to rip and export songs as FLAC
- Try PowerAmp as a premiere music player for Android