[Pre-season]Kings v. Spurs - 10/2/17

Talking about Evans makes me sad because I think if it weren't for the Kings mismanagement of him and his own injuries, he'd be a top 20 player right now(big limb, but I'd argue for it). I don't think Evans has flat lined at all...I think people just forgot about him because he went to the Pelicans..
Sorry but total misread.

It doesn't matter where you play: New Orleans, Orlando, Sacramento, Timbucktoo. If you can play, you get noticed in this era of streaming and all-access from handheld device.

Of course Tyreke flat-lined. He actually did worse than flat-line. He regressed. He averaged 20/5/5 as a rookie and never approximated those numbers again. The whole league knows what he wants to do. He wants to get to the rim every time. And this worked to a degree when he had his knees under him. But even when he was healthy there was NOT enough diversity to his attack. NO left hand. NO mid range game. And an outside shot that required you to cover the eyes of woman and children.

On the defensive end he is TOO big to get around picks. He gets hung up on picks all the time. So while he has the length and strength to be plus defender, it never translated consistently because a basic pick would often take him out of the play.

Tyreke is unique. It was all downhill after his ROY season. Well actually he shares this career arc with Michael Carter Williams. Two guys with so much promise and so much unfulfilled potential. There is actually an explanation to account for their fortune, or misfortune, as it were....

Both these guys were NEVER as good as their rookie seasons indicated. They were a product of their environment and usage rate commensurate with the lack of talent surrounding them. Had both the 76er and Kings had better supporting casts at the respective time, their numbers would NOT have been as lofty, and their absolute production would not have masked their relatively inefficient production for a "star" level player. In other words, their stats were relatively empty as rookies and the balance of their careers reflected this hollowness.

If Tyreke would have developed a jumper, and in-between game, a left hand, and stayed relatively injury-free, it could have played out differently for him, here or elsewhere. But I soured on Tyreke before the injuries, before he was traded. I think the injury was an inevitability of his uni-dimensionality. There is only so many times you attack full force into the bigs and not pay the consequences physically. Derrick Rose is another example of this. PGs need to diversify their offensive attack or else they are an endangered species list of one.

Yep, and saw plenty of the two big post up offense going on. It caused some real cutting and spacing issues at times as well. You had a guard trying to circle into the paint between his own bigs and their defenders. I'd like to see more of that 4 out play he was talking about.
Hmm...can't say I saw much, if any, of that.

Pop is going to double team De'Aaron on Friday night. Then when the Spurs have the ball run him thru mega picks and screens.

I heard Coach Joerger say he is going to start the Young Fellas on Friday night and "rest" the Vets:)

So De'Aaron with get extended minutes against Patty Mills (if Patty plays) and Frank will get matched up with Murray. Should be fun and I am hoping for a Harry Giles siting.

Pop is going to do everything he can to win Friday's game. If Joerger sits the Vets and plays all the Young Fellas it will be a challenge and a huge learning experience. The Spurs regularly beat good teams with their B squad.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Napier interviewed WCS yesterday. When asked about Fox's performance against SA, WCS said that he thought Fox was "hydroplaning" out on the court. :) WCS was also extremely positive about the chemistry on the team and said he really looked forward to practicing with this bunch because the practices were so productive. He's notice a big difference in performance just in a week's time. He's anticipating a scary fast break with Fox & Co. when they get their spacing down.