Power Rankings, Week of 1/18

@LAL, vs. ATL, vs. IND

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
old_guys_6.gif
Given the day off, I'm writing from a local watering hole: http://upslopebrewing.com
NBA.com
#17 (+3)
The Kings dropped another game to a bad team (New Orleans) last week, but Rudy Gay's game-winner gave them their first victory on the second night of a back-to-back, and they followed that up by putting an end to the Clippers' 10-game winning streak on Saturday. DeMarcus Cousins leads the league in scoring (31.1 points per game) and ranks second in rebounding (13.4 rebounds per game) in January.

ESPN
#20 (+2)
The Kings are a .500 squad, at 16-16, when DeMarcus Cousins is in uniform. They're also only one game out of a playoff spot in the West after bringing a halt to the Clips' 10-game winning streak, with Cousins parked in the top five in both scoring and rebounding. What we're trying to say: Don't think Boogie has to sweat that All-Star invite from West coaches like he did this time a year ago.

Sports Illustrated
#19 (+1)
Despite all the jokes, when the Kings decide to compete, they can be pretty tough. It’s exciting that Boogie Cousins has carried them this far, but also bizarre to think they could actually crack the postseason this year.

CBS Sports
#18 (+1)
They lost to the Pelicans and beat the Clippers to end L.A.'s winning streak in the same week. It does not get more #Kangz than that. They are what is referred to in political theory as "an unstable actor."

NBC Sports
#19 (+1)
They are 5-3 since Jan. 1, which is enough to push them to within one game of Utah for the final playoff spot in the West — wins against the Jazz and Clippers last week helped that cause. As I said on the PBT Podcast that dropped Monday talking All-Stars, I would haveDeMarcus Cousins in for sure as a West reserve. He’s earned it.

Mean Ranking: 18.6
This barleywine is delicious.

The Kings have a mean ranking of 18.6. They are slowly creeping up towards the middle (15).

I feel comfortable about 2-1 even though the Kings can be unpredictable. The three games can go 0-3; 2-1; 3-0.

I would be happy with a 2-1 record and even happier at 3-0. :p

The Kings have a mean ranking of 18.6. They are slowly creeping up towards the middle (15).

I feel comfortable about 2-1 even though the Kings can be unpredictable. The three games can go 0-3; 2-1; 3-0.

I would be happy with a 2-1 record and even happier at 3-0. :p
Since that's what you would be happy with and the rest of us would be happy with, then the Kings will go 1-2 just because, Kangz.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
View attachment 5504
Given the day off, I'm writing from a local watering hole: http://upslopebrewing.com
NBA.com
#17 (+3)
The Kings dropped another game to a bad team (New Orleans) last week, but Rudy Gay's game-winner gave them their first victory on the second night of a back-to-back, and they followed that up by putting an end to the Clippers' 10-game winning streak on Saturday. DeMarcus Cousins leads the league in scoring (31.1 points per game) and ranks second in rebounding (13.4 rebounds per game) in January.

ESPN
#20 (+2)
The Kings are a .500 squad, at 16-16, when DeMarcus Cousins is in uniform. They're also only one game out of a playoff spot in the West after bringing a halt to the Clips' 10-game winning streak, with Cousins parked in the top five in both scoring and rebounding. What we're trying to say: Don't think Boogie has to sweat that All-Star invite from West coaches like he did this time a year ago.

Sports Illustrated
#19 (+1)
Despite all the jokes, when the Kings decide to compete, they can be pretty tough. It’s exciting that Boogie Cousins has carried them this far, but also bizarre to think they could actually crack the postseason this year.

CBS Sports
#18 (+1)
They lost to the Pelicans and beat the Clippers to end L.A.'s winning streak in the same week. It does not get more #Kangz than that. They are what is referred to in political theory as "an unstable actor."

NBC Sports
#19 (+1)
They are 5-3 since Jan. 1, which is enough to push them to within one game of Utah for the final playoff spot in the West — wins against the Jazz and Clippers last week helped that cause. As I said on the PBT Podcast that dropped Monday talking All-Stars, I would haveDeMarcus Cousins in for sure as a West reserve. He’s earned it.

Mean Ranking: 18.6
This barleywine is delicious.
Congrats, you just made the facebook page.

Maybe I am being greedy but the Kings record with Boogie does not interest me because (1) Boogie was not himself in December when we were 5-8 and (2) December coincided with the absence of our best defensive player. So if projection that Kings are .50o team with Boogie this could be selling them short if (1) Boogie plays closer to his potential as he has in 2016 and (2) Willie stays healthy and gets his 25 MPG.

I am more interested in the 5th (Grizzlies), 6th (Mavs) and 7th (Rockets) seed losing and than anything the 8th seed (Jazz) does. Who wants to sneak into the 8th spot to get smashed by the Warriors in four straight?!?! That is a depressing proposition. I think we could give them a game or a half but that team is such a juggernaut they take all the fun and suspense out of it.

When you trap Curry they just feed the ball to Green who drains a 3 who drives and dishes for a dunk. And even their bench comes at you in waves of shooting and post-up guard play. Our weakness of guarding the perimeter is their strength in addition to fact they are one of the best teams ever. And Boogie's efficiency against defense of Bogut and Ezeli makes it impossible to win against efficiency of their offense. A perfect game may not even be enough!

At least vs Spurs we can negate Aldridge and Duncan with smash mouth Boogie ball and compete on the wings against their older players like Manu and Tony. I think if the Kings play their best against the Spurs it could be a 6 or 7 game series. And don't even get me started against Clips and their crappy bench and potential for self-implosion because that's where the real fun starts. :)

The Kings need to go 25-17 to finish over .500 at 42-40 and have a legitimate shot at the 5th, 6th or 7th seed. If the Kings are going to do no better than the 8th seed I would rather see them defer to Jazz and let them get thumped by 30 points in 4 straight and we can parlay our late lotto pick into something.

If the Kings are going to do no better than the 8th seed I would rather see them defer to Jazz and let them get thumped by 30 points in 4 straight and we can parlay our late lotto pick into something.
My understanding is that Chicago gets the pick if it is 11 and above. There really is no upside to finishing 9th and still losing the pick.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
For some reason, the Kings play down to their competition, but they play the "good teams'' very tough....What an enigma....
I don't think it's really that much of an enigma. The Kings don't have many grinders. Acy, WCS and Casspi are guys that bring a lot of energy but they aren't guys that opponents look at the schedule and think "this is going to be a long, tough night".

No, the Kings three most talented players (I wouldn't say best because Casspi has been fantastic and Willie can be a game changer at times) are not really dive on the floor, constant motor dudes. Gay, Rondo and Cousins tend to run hot and cold with their effort level, ESPECIALLY on the defensive end. To be fair to Boogie that's much more true of Rudy and Rajon, but DMC doesn't always come with full effort.

So in games against weaker teams that trio just doesn't get ramped up in the same way. And against the better teams those guys do.

There are a lot of things that make Golden State a great team but one that sometimes gets lost when people are focusing on the outside shooting, playmaking, depth, lineup versatility etc is that that group comes to play pretty much every night. The Detroit game was honestly the first time I didn't see locked in effort. I've seen games where shots weren't falling for key guys but the effort level carried them through. Even in the other three losses I didn't see a let down in terms of effort. I haven't seen anyone run them out of the gym like the Celtics did to the Kings or just beat them to most of the loose balls and win most of the effort plays like Philadelphia did in Sacramento.

To me the Kings aren't an enigma so much as they are led by three players who don't always give max effort.