[POLL] Why not?

Is Howard Stern a jerk, or a nice guy?

• Jerk

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Nice guy

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
howard stern isn't a jerk, he a lovely kind gentelman with a heart of gold, and a soul that could lighten up a million starving ethiopians

howard stern is god, if you dont like him its proabbly because u like to *****-foot around and are too sensitive

most definitely jerk. but real enough that I like him. he's never pretended to be something that he's not and I think he's hilarious.

His public persona is largely an act. It's his job. It's like Steve Irwin not actually being a loud foghorn in real life according to the people close to him.

Since all I've got to go by is his public persona, I'd have to say jerk. Not the devil, by any means, but firmly in the jerk category.

His public persona is largely an act. It's his job. It's like Steve Irwin not actually being a loud foghorn in real life according to the people close to him.
I wouldn't take on such a persona for money. Therefore, I see him as a jerk for doing so. I don't think because he's paid to do it, its okay to treat people badly. MHO.

Great point.....all I have ever heard/read from people who know Howard personally is that he is actually a very nice person away from his show.

I have heard the same thing in regards to Steven (screamin') A. Smith. I turn the channel whenever he is on because I cannot stand to listen to the guy, but I have heard that it is all an act and that he is very likeable in person.

I imagine that the same is probably true for some of the people on this board.;)

I don't listen to his show, and I only know him through an occasional TV appearance on a late-night talk-show, or that "Private Parts" movie.

He might come across as a jerk in public, but then, he's in show biz, and it's part of his "shtick". But I suspect he's probably a much nicer guy in his private life.

I wouldn't take on such a persona for money. Therefore, I see him as a jerk for doing so. I don't think because he's paid to do it, its okay to treat people badly. MHO.
No $100,000,000 contract for you!

Here's a Dateline segment I found at Youtube. This is circa 1993. It's pretty much a "jerk or not" argument.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SKSi1FABURg

He was interviewed last year by Ed Bradley on 60 Mins and they went to his old family home. He's deeply conflicted by his upbringing; racial differences in his neighborhood / school; his divorce and children; relationships w/ wife, parents, co-workers, fans; etc. There are nastier people we encounter on a daily basis than Stern considering the amount of press he gets.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Although I don't have the article at my fingertips, I remember reading that Stern's show has not garnered anything even remotely close to the number of listeners Sirius was projecting and hoping for.

Is it another case like Katie Couric? Her ratings have already dropped back to where the CBS Evening News was before they hired her. According to one comic - and I don't remember who it was - they have a new nickname for Couric around CBS. They're calling her "Dan Rather."

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Couric's numbers might be dropping for reasons beyond her control. The "Free Speech" segment they began airing after she took over has turned off a number of viewers.

As for Stern, I just don't care. He can be funny but some days he just goes on and on about nothing. I bought Sirius for my fiance last Christmas because she loves him but I wound up getting XM for myself a few months ago and have since stopped listening to talk radio almost altogether.