[Poll] What should Kings do about Karl and Cousins?

What should the Kings do about Karl and Cousins?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SactownRoyalty is running this poll. In the interest of reaching out to our members, I'm replicating it.

I'm really worried that Vlade may see this as another year to win-now. No panic moves. I know we've been noncompetitive for so many years now, but this can't be the time to panic. I didn't like Vlade's trade with the Sixers and I'm afraid he will do something similar this year in order to attempt another all in or nothing season.

I think the right thing is to slowly rebuild around Cousins with a younger team, respected coach, better offense, chemistry, etc..but I can't see that happening. I see Vlade wanting immediate results by buying pieces that don't fit and making moves that don't benefit us past 1 year...For that reason, I think the Kings should just let go of both Karl and Cousins.

The Kings just need a mini-reboot, but I don't think that's what Vlade wants.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm really worried that Vlade may see this as another year to win-now. No panic moves. I know we've been noncompetitive for so many years now, but this can't be the time to panic. I didn't like Vlade's trade with the Sixers and I'm afraid he will do something similar this year in order to attempt another all in or nothing season.

I think the right thing is to slowly rebuild around Cousins with a younger team, respected coach, better offense, chemistry, etc..but I can't see that happening. I see Vlade wanting immediate results by buying pieces that don't fit and making moves that don't benefit us past 1 year...For that reason, I think the Kings should just let go of both Karl and Cousins.

The Kings just need a mini-reboot, but I don't think that's what Vlade wants.
Wait, what?????

You said you think the right thing is to slowly rebuild around Cousins but then you say you think the Kings should just let go of both Karl and Cousins? Which is it?

Keep Cousins at least another half season. If this summer's moves don't appear to be panning out by the next trade deadline, then you have to seriously consider trading Cousins with 1.5 seasons left to maximize any trade return. There's no "slow reboot" around a guy that could (and should!) walk in 2018 if the team can't build anything around him.

But there's no reason to keep Karl around. He's clearly lost the team, and doesn't appear to be the coach he once was.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Keep Cousins at least another half season. If this summer's moves don't appear to be panning out by the next trade deadline, then you have to seriously consider trading Cousins with 1.5 seasons left to maximize any trade return. There's no "slow reboot" around a guy that could (and should!) walk in 2018 if the team can't build anything around him.

But there's no reason to keep Karl around. He's clearly lost the team, and doesn't appear to be the coach he once was.
Although I probably will never want Boogie gone, if the ideal moves are made, especially with the coach, and nothing seems improved, I might give it a second thought. Might! We'll have more data to work with instead of raw emotion.

Wait, what?????

You said you think the right thing is to slowly rebuild around Cousins but then you say you think the Kings should just let go of both Karl and Cousins? Which is it?
I meant that the right thing is to rebuild around Cousins..with all of the right pieces.

HOWEVER, I don't think Vlade is going to do that. I don't trust Vlade's GM abilities. I fear that if he keeps Cousins, he's going to push all in. He's going to sign a 30yearold Rondo for the Max. He's going to deal our draft-pick for a player on the decline. He's going to try to trade our 2020 pick for more vets.

In my opinion, I would rather Vlade just get rid of both Karl and Cousins so we don't have to go through all of that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NOTE: I've moved a couple of posts about who you want as coach into their own thread. This one is about the poll. Thanks.

I give Vlade permission to use his best judgement. My best guess of what will happen is Kal is gone and there is a 50-50 chance Cuz willbe, too. What I want is to root for sanity and friendship in the new arena.

Probably best for the team if both are gone. I have not been an advocate of "Karl must go" but now I feel he hasn't the strength and vocal presence to coach an NBA team. Cuz has painted himself in a corner where he can't be coached in Sacramento. He may be coachable somewhere else. For his sak I hope so.

The hardest task may no be seeing them gone but in doing the job of replacing each of them with quality. That task is not like throwing a switch and involves opportunity, judgement and luck. And the process should be well on it's way now. Good luck Vlade and it is you that I trust doing it.

Last edited:
That's part of the reason I replicated the poll here. The view of members of KF is often at odds with StR, and quite frankly I think our members are a better gauge of the overall fan populace.
I disagree, everyone here hated IT, most Kings fans loved him. Some people on here thought Tyreke was the second coming, everyone else saw he was a good player but very flawed. As far as Cousins goes, it's clear its 50/50 right now as far as keep/trade goes.

This site has a much smaller number of posters with a few huge personalities that easily sway the opinion of others. The IT is midget chucker and will never win narrative was pushed pretty much exclusively here.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'll check out a post over there from time to time. Not a member, not even really a lurker.

The majority over there haaaaates Cuz.
They posted their poll on Facebook. About 90% wanted Karl gone and half of those wanted Cousins gone also.

I'll check out a post over there from time to time. Not a member, not even really a lurker.

The majority over there haaaaates Cuz.
Dude nobody hates Cuz, nobody knows him personally. You just have to be objective from the access that fans have and that's mainly on the floor during games. Everyone agrees he's an amazing talent but the constant complaining, jogging up and down the floor when he is in a bad mood, and just overall negative vibe he produces sucks the energy and life out of the team. That is an objective fact that no one can argue. Whether it's worth putting up with that and keep trying to build around him or if you think we will never win with him is the argument going on right now, and I would say fans are 50/50.

They posted their poll on Facebook. About 90% wanted Karl gone and half of those wanted Cousins gone also.
I think those are fair results, everyone clearly sees that Karl has been terrible, at the same time six years of incident after incident, negative attitude that hardly improves has fans split.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I disagree, everyone here hated IT, most Kings fans loved him. Some people on here thought Tyreke was the second coming, everyone else saw he was a good player but very flawed. As far as Cousins goes, it's clear its 50/50 right now as far as keep/trade goes.

This site has a much smaller number of posters with a few huge personalities that easily sway the opinion of others. The IT is midget chucker and will never win narrative was pushed pretty much exclusively here.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Everyone is an absolute. That was not true. Many wanted IT in a different role but didn't think he would accept. In terms of Evans, I seem to recall disappointment and surprise when he wasn't retained.

You do have huge personalities but so do you elsewhere. The way an article(s) is/are written can have a huge effect on opinions formed and offered. On the few occasions I waded thru their comments sections, I saw what I would call group think. Probably because I didn't agree with it.

I meant that the right thing is to rebuild around Cousins..with all of the right pieces.

HOWEVER, I don't think Vlade is going to do that. I don't trust Vlade's GM abilities. I fear that if he keeps Cousins, he's going to push all in. He's going to sign a 30yearold Rondo for the Max. He's going to deal our draft-pick for a player on the decline. He's going to try to trade our 2020 pick for more vets.

In my opinion, I would rather Vlade just get rid of both Karl and Cousins so we don't have to go through all of that.
Yep, this is the boat I'm landing in as well.

I just don't see how it's going to be done in the time-frame left on Cousins deal. Rondo is by far the most likely "big" free agent to sign here, which leaves us very little wiggle room to improve this team from this current roster if we do indeed resign him. Then after that, we're left with Rudy Gay as the big chip to try and bring in a player(s) to try and vamp this team. And we saw his value at the deadline when he couldn't net an expiring Ryan Anderson.

Dude nobody hates Cuz, nobody knows him personally. You just have to be objective from the access that fans have and that's mainly on the floor during games. Everyone agrees he's an amazing talent but the constant complaining, jogging up and down the floor when he is in a bad mood, and just overall negative vibe he produces sucks the energy and life out of the team. That is an objective fact that no one can argue. Whether it's worth putting up with that and keep trying to build around him or if you think we will never win with him is the argument going on right now, and I would say fans are 50/50.
Fact? No, not necessarily. Objective is questionable unless you put it into context of being a objective opinion based on your point of view.

Fans being 50/50 might be more pertain-able in terms of do fans think this team can win again, ever. With or without Cousins.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think those are fair results, everyone clearly sees that Karl has been terrible, at the same time six years of incident after incident, negative attitude that hardly improves has fans split.
You do realize people can vote multiple times in the poll, right?

You believe that a "negative vibe" produced by Demarcus cousins sucking the energy and life out of the team is an objective fact?

I do not think you understand the meaning of that word, objective.

You believe that a "negative vibe" produced by Demarcus cousins sucking the energy and life out of the team is an objective fact?

I do not think you understand the meaning of that word, objective.
Has this team ever done well whenever Cousins has a blowup in the game? Has it ever rallied around the blowup to play better. No, in fact Cousins blowup a usually coincide with collapses, bad losses, long runs for the other team. Cousins greatest games have come when he ignores the refs, is engaged on both ends. Unfortunately those criteria are few and far between.

Has this team ever done well whenever Cousins has a blowup in the game? Has it ever rallied around the blowup to play better. No, in fact Cousins blowup a usually coincide with collapses, bad losses, long runs for the other team. Cousins greatest games have come when he ignores the refs, is engaged on both ends. Unfortunately those criteria are few and far between.
Again, everything you said is subjective, or at minimum lacks evidence.

Here's a nifty graphic that show that both Russell Westbrook and Demarcus Cousins play BETTER after they get a technical.

Since as Demarcus goes, go the kings, it's quite possible the team sees a bump in productivity after a Cousin's technical. Or not. I don't know.

Objectively, one could find out the team effect. If one wanted.
image.jpeg

Everyone is an absolute. That was not true. Many wanted IT in a different role but didn't think he would accept. In terms of Evans, I seem to recall disappointment and surprise when he wasn't retained.

You do have huge personalities but so do you elsewhere. The way an article(s) is/are written can have a huge effect on opinions formed and offered. On the few occasions I waded thru their comments sections, I saw what I would call group think. Probably because I didn't agree with it.
This site has group think to an extent but there are really nice debates in here.

You do realize people can vote multiple times in the poll, right?
Their sample size is far larger, even with that. I doubt a whole swarm of people are voting multiple times in there. It's not an all star vote or anything. The bias in this poll is far greater. STR appeals to more of the fanbase than in here. I think it's far more representative of the overall fanbase.

You trying to compare the power of that poll with yours really shows the bias here. 2500 vs 50? And you think this one's better? Come on.

The Keep Karl, Keep Cousins option is sadly more of a possibility with ownership than it is with fans. This situation right now is more fallout from keeping Karl after 'the call', and even further fallout from firing Malone. Team is frozen in its own past, scared of its own shadow.