Players to watch: 2016/17 college season.

I already tried to untangle my aversion to Lonzo Ball, but it's more of a bad vibe than anything else. First of all, I almost always love big guards who can pass. Penny Hardaway in his prime is one of my top 3 favorite players ever and I've chased after every pseudo-Penny ever since hoping they're the second coming. None have been so far. Ball is a very impressive prospect in almost every way though. For a guy his size he can really fly up the court with the ball in his hands and his passing is so instinctual and on the money. He's the rare lead guard who is obviously the best player on his team and yet prefers to use his ability to attack and collapse the defense to facilitate everyone else's scoring. His jumpshot looks like a hail mary every time he throws it up and yet it almost always goes in. Athleticism and defensive ability aren't elite but they're both positives. On the court in pure basketball terms he's a top 8 guy at least, probably top 5 and if you're not a crazy defense-obsessed psycho like me almost certainly top 3.

But off the court it's a perfect storm of bad juju. The Ball family storyline really bothers me. He's from affluent Chino Hills, deep in Lakers territory. His family picked UCLA and got scholarship offers for his two younger sons out of it which, if you live in So Cal and aren't alumni UCLA basketball is a team for front runners. They're one of the darlings of Division I basketball and they get tons of media coverage no matter how bad they are and their players always get overhyped because of it. His dad (who is already selling Big Baller Brand clothes online) has put it out there that his son belongs in a Lakers jersey. All of the reasons that I want to root for a guy like Ben McLemore --poor family, single mom, tough upbringing, countless obstacles he had to overcome just to get where he is -- it's the exact opposite for Ball. He seems almost innately talented and he never looks like he's working very hard at all. His dad has groomed him for professional basketball since he was 2 years old. He was anointed as the next big thing before he played a single game in college. I'm sure Ball will continue to be a very successful basketball player somewhere but I don't really want to root for him. There's something about him that irks me. A smugness in how he carries himself. A smugness I've come to associate with Lakers fandom. And if he gets drafted by Sacramento I expect his agent/dad will get to work planning his exit to a major market (preferably the LA Lakers) as soon as his name is called. Basically I think he might already be "too big for Sacramento" and as a Nor Cal transplant residing in So Cal myself the whole idiotic idea that anyone can be "too big for Sacramento" still pisses me off.

So... just to recap: My primary problem with Monk is that he seems like a re-tread of every other dead end we've followed in the post-Adelman era to one last place finish after another. Fair to him? Not really, but that's my reaction. Good prospect, I'd just prefer that he went somewhere else. With Ball I feel like he'll either fail to live up to the impossibly high expectations everyone has placed on him or if he is the next Jason Kidd he'll leave Sacramento at the first opportunity. That's a lose-lose situation in Kings land. Do I know this? Of course not. But that's what my gut tells me. There's no magic formula for predicting success so I just have to go with my gut here. Picking either of these guys would feel like stepping onto a rollercoaster already knowing it's going to crash before it returns to the station. Who would willingly sign up for that? Nobody would. So that's where I'm coming from. I'd have to keep my distance for awhile at least until the coast seems clear. :) I don't root for Kings players to fail but I have watched quite a few through gritted teeth with my hands covering my face. I'd just prefer that we went with someone else here. Like you said, it's very unlikely we'll even be in a position to draft Ball at least so it's not really worth worrying about.

Enough about Lonzo Ball, I will fully agree with you about Fox though. He was my favorite player in this draft until Josh Jackson progressed from a good prospect into a great one. I'm actually really happy his shot isn't dropping this year because one season of poor shooting is easy to dismiss and/or overcome and it means he'll probably slip down further in the draft than he ought to, hopefully to a position where we might possibly get him. And I've got a similar feeling about Dennis Smith Jr. too -- of the top guys he's the one I'm least excited about from a pure basketball ability point of view. If we can come out of this draft with some combination of Isaac/Tatum and Fox/Ntilikina I'll be thrilled right along with you. If we can find a way to get Josh Jackson I'd be over-the-moon excited about watching him compete in a Kings uniform. Robert Williams and Miles Bridges intrigue me as fallback options if our pick is a little lower than expected and/or we have a second pick in the 10-15 range from New Orleans.

(Sidenote: How crazy is it that the first 15 picks of the draft this year are projected to be 14 freshmen and a 19 year old international prospect? Has this ever happened before?)
(Sidenote 2: In 15 years only once have I seen a player at UCLA and thought "holy poopoo, this kid is going to be a star in the NBA". That kid was Russell Westbrook who was not highly ranked coming out of high school and after 2 years at UCLA he was projected as a late lottery prospect but started to move up the board during workouts and eventually Seattle/OKC surprised a lot of people by picking him 4th overall. I was pissed, but it was unlikely we were going to get him at #12 anyway. Putting all that off-the-court Lakersfan/psycho-dad/Big Baller brand stuff aside, Lonzo Ball the player just doesn't blow me away like Russ did. His numbers are way better but the eye test says he's a borderline All-Star in the NBA to me. Borderline only because All-Star spots are usually given to leading scorers and he'll most likely be a 15pt/10ast per game type of guard playing in an era of scoring guards calling themselves point guards.)
I agree with everything you said there. Great post!
Regarding Josh Jackson, I really like him too, and I don't think it is totally unrealistic to hope that he is available when we pick. :) Just because every mock has him at #3 doesnt mean he is going to get drafted there. I could see guys like Monk, Smith Jr. and Tatum (and Fultz/Ball for that matter) rise a bit during workouts, especially because Jackson's (and Fox's) shooting problems will stand out in shooting drills.

As of right now, it loks like we have a good chance of getting the #6 and #7 pick with Phoenix, Orlando and Philly picking right before us. I could see Philly falling in love with Monk and Orlando's Hennigan trying to save his job with the more sexy pick in Smith Jr. than Jackson. That would leave Phoenix / maybe LA in the running for Jackson.

So yeah, I could definitely see him falling to #6. Imagine that! We could come out of the draft with Jackson and Fox. And we'd also have an early second rounder to draft a defensive combo guard like Josh Hart / De'Anthony Melton.
This would give us a core of Fox-Hield-Jackson-Skal-WCS with additional talent in Richardson, Hart/Melton and PapaG. Talk about rebuilding on the fly!

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Regarding Josh Jackson, I really like him too, and I don't think it is totally unrealistic to hope that he is available when we pick. :) Just because every mock has him at #3 doesnt mean he is going to get drafted there. I could see guys like Monk, Smith Jr. and Tatum (and Fultz/Ball for that matter) rise a bit during workouts, especially because Jackson's (and Fox's) shooting problems will stand out in shooting drills.

As of right now, it loks like we have a good chance of getting the #6 and #7 pick with Phoenix, Orlando and Philly picking right before us. I could see Philly falling in love with Monk and Orlando's Hennigan trying to save his job with the more sexy pick in Smith Jr. than Jackson. That would leave Phoenix / maybe LA in the running for Jackson.

So yeah, I could definitely see him falling to #6. Imagine that! We could come out of the draft with Jackson and Fox. And we'd also have an early second rounder to draft a defensive combo guard like Josh Hart / De'Anthony Melton.
This would give us a core of Fox-Hield-Jackson-Skal-WCS with additional talent in Richardson, Hart/Melton and PapaG. Talk about rebuilding on the fly!
Jackson isn't falling! Period! Put it in the bank..

For those who follow the draft regularly, is this the strongest draft since 2003 as some are claiming?

I do find it interesting that best 10-15 prospects are majotity, if not all freshmen.

If Kings do end up getting th pick from Pelicans this year, they really must hit home runs with their first two picks.

The other question is how ready are these prospects to be contributors from day 1?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
For those who follow the draft regularly, is this the strongest draft since 2003 as some are claiming?

I do find it interesting that best 10-15 prospects are majotity, if not all freshmen.

If Kings do end up getting th pick from Pelicans this year, they really must hit home runs with their first two picks.

The other question is how ready are these prospects to be contributors from day 1?
It's strong at the top. Elite prospects occupy the top 10 spots in most mocks. They're all one and done though so don't expect immediate success. I don't think that's really a concern for us anymore though. Initially I thought this was a very strong draft, now I'm a little less optimistic. The Freshman group is historically great and I prefer younger prospects with high ceilings but it's disappointing that none of the upper classmen have risen to meet them this year. There's usually at least one stud from another high school class who's just a late bloomer. Weird draft. I wouldn't compare it to 2003 because I don't see a LeBron here and that draft fell off dramatically after 5. I actually think it feels like last year but with no Dunn or Hield and a deeper Freshman class. There are definitely great prospects here but they could take some time to develop. Given the choice I'd rather have 2 top 10 picks this year than 1 top 3 pick so I think we're in good shape there, just have to pick the right guys.

Thanks! Fox/Jackson is my favorite scenario though I think we need lotto luck to get there. That's a pair that would set the tone defensively though, for sure. Also, I would flip if we manage to get De'anthony Melton! Not a lot of people see it yet but I think that kid is going to be something special. I'd be surprised if he entered the draft this year though. His stock is second round right now but if he works on his handle/shot all summer he could be much higher next year. It seems like his stock is rising but Juwan Evans in the second round would also be a nice get I think. We need depth at PG too. At the top of the second round I'm mostly hoping somebody projected much higher slides for whatever reason. Still a lot of time left for things to get shaken up.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Bah. The website won't let me edit my own post. I wanted to add:

It is pretty wide open from the top group right now so workouts and interviews could change a lot. I could see a team eventually falling in love with Smith Jr, Tatum, Monk, Isaac or even Fox throughout the pre-draft process. Enough to take them over Jackson? Depends on the team. Some GMs are smarter than others. Danny Ainge in particular has foiled my hopes in too many drafts at this point so I hope he ends up with #1 and just takes Fultz off the board. :)

I'll be completely honest, I don't see much of a talent difference between this year and 2015.. the year of KAT, Russell, Porzingis, Okafor, Hezonja, Johnson, WCS, Winslow, Turner, Kaminsky, and Booker. The only difference is that this class is stronger at PGs rather than PFs/Cs.

I think what people really like about this class is that it's top 3-4 heavy. You have Fultz, Jackson, Ball, and Smith Jr who all have #1 overall potential. After that, it takes a bit of a dip, but you still get to Tatum and Monk who are also really good prospects. That's the top 6, and then there's a big gap with the next group of guys. So while it's a strong draft at the top, it starts to normalize after 5 or 6. However, then between 7-25, you have a bunch of guys who could end up as solid starters in the NBA. With this draft, it's mostly about strength in the top 5, then a lot of depth in the 1st round.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
All I know is that this is a very good draft, and if were lucky, we should get a couple of very good players. Maybe even a star player. It's easy to look at the Booker draft and laud his abilities, but I could go back on this very forum and show you people that didn't think Booker was be very good. I wasn't one of them, but my point is, hindsight is always 100% correct. Which is why I don't like comparisons. I can guarantee that there's going to be a player taken below 15 that will turn out to be one of the best players in the draft.

The more you watch a player, the more obvious his flaws will become, and all these players have a flaw somewhere, it just that some have less. I like skilled players, but if you can find a skilled player, that's also a very good athlete, then you have a potential all star. When I look at Fultz, that's what I see. A very good athlete that makes everything look easy. I amazed that he actually averages 5.9 assists on a team full of players that have trouble scoring the ball. I think Fultz could put up 30 plus points every game if he wanted to.

I've watched Josh Jackson plat at least 15 times already, and I have no idea why anyone would think this kid is going to slide. Man I hope you right, because I would grab him in a heartbeat. I just don't see it happening. If anyone is going to slide it's probably going to be Smith, and he won't slide far. There are games where he looks disinterested to me, or not focused maybe. I'm not denying his skills, just questioning his intensity at times. That's something I don't have to worry about with Jackson. He brings it every game. Terrific defender who is improving his three point shot. He has his average up to 37.7% now. But he shoots 51.1% overall.

At SF, after Jackson, I like Isaac the best next. He doesn't get the attempts that some of the other players get, but like Jackson, he's a very good defender with terrific size, and he's shooting a respectable 36.7% from the three. Also grabbing 7.2 boards a game. I believe that Hrdboiled mentioned that there were no late bloomers from highschool. How about Justin Patton, who has shot up the draft board. Good athlete who is 7 foot tall just a couple of years ago was playing guard. He grew about 7 or 8 inches overnight and retained his ballhandling skills and some of his shooting skills. He's shooting 53.8% from the three. Of course he hasn't taken many threes, so that's probably an inflated number, but none the less, you can see potential.

Anyway, here is my top 14 as of now. It can change down the road.

1. Markelle Fultz: Kid does everything well. No obvious flaws other than lack of focus on defense at times.
2.Lonzo Ball: Ugly shot or not, he's shooting 42.4% from the three, while creating 7.8 assists a game. Oh, and 6.2 boards a game as well.
3. Josh Jackson: 16.9 ppg on 51.1% shooting overall. Also grabbing 7.2 boards.
4. Jonathan Isaac: Very good athlete dripping with raw talent. Could be a future star. Or not..
5. Malik Monk: A little one dimensional right now, but I think he has more in the tool box.
6. Dennis Smith Jr.: Terrific athlete, who if he puts it all together, can be a all star. But I doubt it will happen. Hope I'm wrong..
7. Lauri Markkanen: Outstanding shooter with terrific size. Needs to get stronger and board better, but he could be a great player.
8. Jayson Tatum: Overall a very talented player, but with little flaws in several areas. All correctable. Terrific mid-range game (thats for 206 :rolleyes:)
9. D'Aaron Fox: Love the kid, but he has to clean up his outside shot. Only major weakness. Ton's of potential.
10. Frank Ntilikina: Haven't seen him play in an actual game, but he's athletic and a good defender. Looks like a top prospect.
11. Miles Bridges: Watched him play a lot this year, and he's becoming more discplined, and therefore improving. Question is what position does he play?
12. Zach Collins: Well hidden player at Gonzaga. Might be Gonzaga's best overall player Shooting 44.4% from the three. Needs to rebound better.
13. John Collins: Starting to bloom of late. In last 13 games averaging 23.3 ppg, and 10.9 rebounds per game.
14. Justin Patton: Hard choice here. But Justin is shooting 69.3% overall, 53.8% from the three, grabbing 6.3 boards, and blocking 1.5 shots.

These are just the players I like, and not the order I think they'll go in on draft day. Although I think the top three are in the proper order.

Great list. Where do you have Williams, and do you see any chance Bridges surpasses Tatum on some teams' boards? I know I would be very tempted to take Bridges where we are currently slotted, assuming Monk/Isaac are gone. This is a lazy comparison because they are aesthetically similar, but could Hartenstein move up the board and pass Markkanen as a stretch four option? I feel like Duke has a Tatum type player every year and they all end up being replacement level in the NBA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Great list. Where do you have Williams, and do you see any chance Bridges surpasses Tatum on some teams' boards? I know I would be very tempted to take Bridges where we are currently slotted, assuming Monk/Isaac are gone. This is a lazy comparison because they are aesthetically similar, but could Hartenstein move up the board and pass Markkanen as a stretch four option? I feel like Duke has a Tatum type player every year and they all end up being replacement level in the NBA.
I think the problem scouts have with Bridges is figuring out what his best position is. He played PF in highschool, but he's undersized for that position in the NBA. However, he rebounds like a PF. Personally, I think his best position is SF, and he's a bit undersized for that position as well. He has decent, but not great length. Do I think he'll surpass Tatum on the draft board? No! I think Tatum is a SF, who could in time with added muscle play PF. He has the size and the athleticism to be the better player. Doesn't mean he will be.

I'll be honest though. Personally, I really like Bridges. I keep trying to talk myself out of him, but there are times when he impacts games in a way that I haven't seen Tatum do. Of course you have to consider the system, and the talent surrounding each player. I've had quite a few wow moments with Bridges, and not many with Tatum. So take that for what its worth, which isn't much.

As far as Hartenstein moving up and passing Markkanen? No, not going to happen in my opinion. I probably like Markkanen more than some on the forum. I think he's a very talented player, who if he works hard, could be special. It's always hard to know what lurks between the ears of a player. I could have said, and matter of fact, I probably did say the same thing about McLemore when we drafted him. Hey, I haven't even talked about my favorite dark horse, Caleb Swanigan. Just a walking double/double machine.

I forgot to ask Hrdboiled if he's a big USC fan. He'd have to be to be touting De'Anthony Melton. I'll be stunned if he enters the draft this year.

I disagree with the Porzingis comparison. Markkanen is nowhere the athlete Porzingis is. Porzingis is a guy who can legitimately play above the rim, and run in transition. Markknane isn't the same player. On defense, Porzingis is also 100x better. He can actually protect the rim and alter shots. Porzingis at the same age was almost a more better interior defender. I don't see it at all.
Aside from both guys being Euros, 7ft tall, and can shoot, there's not a lot going there. Porzingis is a really aggressive player with a lot of intensity.
Markkanen can be extremely SOFT at times. We saw a lot of that during his horrible 4-5 game stretch where he completely disappeared.

I'm just not a big fan of Markkanen. I don't know if his game(the offensive diversity he's showing) pans out in the NBA. Just aside from his shooting and some post-ups, he doesn't really bring much else where. He's a mediocre rebounder at best. He brings absolutely no defensive presence. He can't guard bigger players. He can't block shots. He's not much of an interior defender at all. His blocks per game is pathetic for a 7fter in college. 0.4blks/game is bad in every way, because if guys who we all know won't be able to translate their shotblocking, still average around 1.5. You just hope you can stick him onto stretch 4s and have him chase around screens.

I don't think he'd be a good fit next to Willie. As of right now, neither of them can rebound good enough.
I wasn't comparing the two players, just the way I think Porzingis would have played in the NCAA. Obviously he was a better defensive prospect and longer, but I think Markkanen is the better offensive product and has a higher ceiling on that end. I just haven't seen a big man with a trigger as quick as his (and effective) with the ability to put the ball on the floor and create space in a long time. As the year went on too, he got much better in the post and started putting the full package together. The Kings desperately need to find offensive stars in this draft, and to me, Markkanen might have the highest upside as a scorer of anyone in this draft.

Not sure where you're getting the rebounding issue from, 14.8 TRB% is excellent for a stretch big. He's not afraid to crash the glass. Btw, Kristaps was 14% TRB last year and all the way down to 11.8% this year.

I think the problem scouts have with Bridges is figuring out what his best position is. He played PF in highschool, but he's undersized for that position in the NBA. However, he rebounds like a PF. Personally, I think his best position is SF, and he's a bit undersized for that position as well. He has decent, but not great length. Do I think he'll surpass Tatum on the draft board? No! I think Tatum is a SF, who could in time with added muscle play PF. He has the size and the athleticism to be the better player. Doesn't mean he will be.

I'll be honest though. Personally, I really like Bridges. I keep trying to talk myself out of him, but there are times when he impacts games in a way that I haven't seen Tatum do. Of course you have to consider the system, and the talent surrounding each player. I've had quite a few wow moments with Bridges, and not many with Tatum. So take that for what its worth, which isn't much.

As far as Hartenstein moving up and passing Markkanen? No, not going to happen in my opinion. I probably like Markkanen more than some on the forum. I think he's a very talented player, who if he works hard, could be special. It's always hard to know what lurks between the ears of a player. I could have said, and matter of fact, I probably did say the same thing about McLemore when we drafted him. Hey, I haven't even talked about my favorite dark horse, Caleb Swanigan. Just a walking double/double machine.

I forgot to ask Hrdboiled if he's a big USC fan. He'd have to be to be touting De'Anthony Melton. I'll be stunned if he enters the draft this year.

Baja, looks like you and I are on the same page so far. Markkanen is my guy in this draft and I just see so much offensive potential with him. His offensive skill-set is already impressive for a 19-year old and you just don't find 7'0 with his shot shooting form/release that can also create off the bounce.

Was also just about to talk about Swanigan too. If you had no idea who he was, he would instantly draw your attention to him with his activity on both ends. He's phenomenal at always attacking on the rim, whether it be on the glass or when he's making a post move. He has "it" when it comes to rebounding; the guy just knows how to get in great position and always be in play for the ball.

The offensive game can be clunky at times, but he's got some nice post moves and a really effective jumper. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts to stronger defenders in the NBA as I feel he uses his strength a lot to overpower weaker NCAA guys.

6. Dennis Smith Jr.: Terrific athlete, who if he puts it all together, can be a all star. But I doubt it will happen. Hope I'm wrong...
Genuinely interested in your reasoning behind the doubt?

I have never seen the kid play so I can't comment other than based off the highlights which is always dangerous thing to do. To me he seems to be able to do just about anything offensively. Can get to the paint, can shoot the 3 and can create for himself and others.

With my limited or more accurately non-existant knowledge on him, my concerns would be on the defensive side due to his average height, wingspan and reach.

I really like Bridges too. Watching him the first few times (vs. UK and Duke), he rubbed me off with the "undersized tweener player with great athleticism, but horrible IQ, can't shoot, and can't dribble". Basically a mini version of Derrick Williams. However, since then, I've watched at least 6-7 games, and he's proved me entirely wrong. It's hard to keep in mind that there is an adjustment period from HS to college. Bridges looks to be a SF at the next level, and his rebounding ability is just another plus. He's a high ball IQ player. He's athletic, but only turns it on when he needs to. He's not going 100mph every play. He's a solid/comfortable ball handler that knows how to facilitate. His 3pt shooting is good. He plays with a really high motor, and you know that even if he doesn't make his shots, he's still out there hustling.
The few things I don't like about Bridges is his inability to finish at the rim, and the lack of a mid-range. It's also a bit hard to get his feel on perimeter defense at the next level. I think Bridges is a lotto pick, even top 10. If he ends up falling out of the lotto for whatever reason, then some random team will get an absolute steal. I'm really not sure what Bridges needs to do to solidify himself as a top prospect. I think it will come down to his ability to guard the perimeter.

I have never seen the kid play so I can't comment other than based off the highlights which is always dangerous thing to do. To me he seems to be able to do just about anything offensively. Can get to the paint, can shoot the 3 and can create for himself and others.

With my limited or more accurately non-existant knowledge on him, my concerns would be on the defensive side due to his average height, wingspan and reach.
Not answering for Baja, but I really like DSJ. He's my 3rd best player behind Fultz and Jackson. However, DSJ brings extremely inconsistent effort and questionable attitude. Things were extremely frustrating at NCST this year, but DSJ had a tendency to disappear for stretches at a time. Almost like he mentally checks himself out. There's lots of times on offense where he'll just float around and isn't very active off-ball. On defense, there were many times where he didn't try all the time. If he gets screened, he half-asses fighting through it. DSJ has the quickness to be a CP3-type of a defender, but he didn't put enough effort on defense this year, and looked like IT. His coach was Mark Gottfried. Imagine Lorenzo Romar. Good recruiter, below average coach.

If he's able to play with a high-motor, he'd end up looking like Westbrook out there. However, he doesn't. He'll have 1 highlight dunk/game, when he could have 3-4 if he wanted to be more aggressive. There was also a game about a month ago where he literally checked himself out of the game out of frustration at the coaches. So while I'm not sure if these are the same concerns Baja has, DSJ's season hasn't gone smoothy at all.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Baja, looks like you and I are on the same page so far. Markkanen is my guy in this draft and I just see so much offensive potential with him. His offensive skill-set is already impressive for a 19-year old and you just don't find 7'0 with his shot shooting form/release that can also create off the bounce.

Was also just about to talk about Swanigan too. If you had no idea who he was, he would instantly draw your attention to him with his activity on both ends. He's phenomenal at always attacking on the rim, whether it be on the glass or when he's making a post move. He has "it" when it comes to rebounding; the guy just knows how to get in great position and always be in play for the ball.

The offensive game can be clunky at times, but he's got some nice post moves and a really effective jumper. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts to stronger defenders in the NBA as I feel he uses his strength a lot to overpower weaker NCAA guys.
Gives me a DeJuan Blair type of vibe, without the two missing ACLs of course. He should be able to stick in the league for quite some time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

I've watched him play so I really don't understand why he isn't higher on the mocks or in peoples minds. I have him number two overall on my board after Fultz, that's how highly I think of him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I really like Bridges too. Watching him the first few times (vs. UK and Duke), he rubbed me off with the "undersized tweener player with great athleticism, but horrible IQ, can't shoot, and can't dribble". Basically a mini version of Derrick Williams. However, since then, I've watched at least 6-7 games, and he's proved me entirely wrong. It's hard to keep in mind that there is an adjustment period from HS to college. Bridges looks to be a SF at the next level, and his rebounding ability is just another plus. He's a high ball IQ player. He's athletic, but only turns it on when he needs to. He's not going 100mph every play. He's a solid/comfortable ball handler that knows how to facilitate. His 3pt shooting is good. He plays with a really high motor, and you know that even if he doesn't make his shots, he's still out there hustling.
The few things I don't like about Bridges is his inability to finish at the rim, and the lack of a mid-range. It's also a bit hard to get his feel on perimeter defense at the next level. I think Bridges is a lotto pick, even top 10. If he ends up falling out of the lotto for whatever reason, then some random team will get an absolute steal. I'm really not sure what Bridges needs to do to solidify himself as a top prospect. I think it will come down to his ability to guard the perimeter.

Not answering for Baja, but I really like DSJ. He's my 3rd best player behind Fultz and Jackson. However, DSJ brings extremely inconsistent effort and questionable attitude. Things were extremely frustrating at NCST this year, but DSJ had a tendency to disappear for stretches at a time. Almost like he mentally checks himself out. There's lots of times on offense where he'll just float around and isn't very active off-ball. On defense, there were many times where he didn't try all the time. If he gets screened, he half-asses fighting through it. DSJ has the quickness to be a CP3-type of a defender, but he didn't put enough effort on defense this year, and looked like IT. His coach was Mark Gottfried. Imagine Lorenzo Romar. Good recruiter, below average coach.

If he's able to play with a high-motor, he'd end up looking like Westbrook out there. However, he doesn't. He'll have 1 highlight dunk/game, when he could have 3-4 if he wanted to be more aggressive. There was also a game about a month ago where he literally checked himself out of the game out of frustration at the coaches. So while I'm not sure if these are the same concerns Baja has, DSJ's season hasn't gone smoothy at all.
when I watch Bridges, I see Tobias Harris.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Ok, let me back up a bit. I certainly didn't mean to imply that Smith wouldn't be a good player, but that I don't think he'll be a great player. For instance, a lot people have him going third behind Ball. I think Ball is going to be a great player, so for me to put Smith right behind him, would be putting him higher than I think he deserves to be. Now I would write a book on the difference between the two players and I don't want to bore people to that extent. Ball is extremely good at a couple of things, and it's those things that separate him from the others, except Fultz. I don't see where Smith is extremely good at anything. He's a decent three point shooter, but not a great shooter. He's a decent to good passer, but not a great passer. He puts up good assist numbers, but it doesn't seem to translate to making his teammates better.

Ball on the other hand is the difference maker on the UCLA team. Take him away, and I wonder how good Leaf would be. I agree with an article I read, that if you compare the talent before the season, it would appear that the talent level on the UCLA team, and the N.C. State team is fairly equal, but the results right now are quite different. UCLA looks to be a number one seed in the tournament. I credit Ball for most of those results. I think Ball has better court vision, and makes better decisions overall. So, while I think Smith can, or will be a good player in the NBA, I can't put him at the same level as Ball or Fultz. Doesn't mean I wouldn't draft him if he's sitting there.

I could go on and on with this. I wonder how good a defender Smith can be? He's a tad undersized for the position, and doesn't have much of a wingspan, and, at times he seems disinterested in playing defense. He is a terrific athlete, and he could, and I hope he does, prove me wrong. Just my opinion..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
when I watch Bridges, I see Tobias Harris.
Skill level aside, Bridges is a far better athlete than Harris. When Harris was in college, he never leaped off the page at me, Bridges does at times. It's hard to not notice him when he's on the floor. I don't think you could have ever said that about Harris.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Actually, you saw some of the same things I saw. Which is why I have him lower on my list. If we're just going on ability, then he's higher, but I have to grade him on results. Some, if not all of the things that bother me are correctable, so that's why I still think he'll be a good player, but I worry that he'll fall into that Derrick Coleman bubble of being a player that doesn't have to work hard to be good, and that's enough. I'm not sure of his desire. And to be fair, that's a hard thing to measure when you don't know what's being asked o him. I saw Kevin Johnson get severely restricted at Cal to the point that few knew how talented he was. Maybe Dennis Smith just needs to be unchained? Don't know!

Gives me a DeJuan Blair type of vibe, without the two missing ACLs of course. He should be able to stick in the league for quite some time.
yeah, I like that. He'll have a 15-20 min/game as a energy/rebounding big for a long time. The big issue is I don't know how he'll progress as a long-term starter; hard to see stick with starting NBA 4's defensively and I don't think he's good enough defensively to overcome the height disadvantage of playing C. Ben Wallace is pretty much the only guy to do effectively at his size and he of course is the major exception to the rule.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
yeah, I like that. He'll have a 15-20 min/game as a energy/rebounding big for a long time. The big issue is I don't know how he'll progress as a long-term starter; hard to see stick with starting NBA 4's defensively and I don't think he's good enough defensively to overcome the height disadvantage of playing C. Ben Wallace is pretty much the only guy to do effectively at his size and he of course is the major exception to the rule.
Well I've called Swanigan, DeMarcus Cousins lite. His game is very similar, and his body type is very similar, except he's not as tall. He does have good standing reach and he's very strong. so he's a good rebounder. He's similar to Cousins in that when he gets his hand on the ball, it's his. What's unique for a player that's built like a center, is that he's a very good three point shooter. In other words, like Cousins, he as a game away from the basket. But yes, he's a little undersized for the center position, and he's not athletic enough to play the four on a regular basis. But I wouldn't bet against him. As I said, he's a double/double machine, and he's gone up against the best in college. Take him off the Purdue team, and they're not a very good team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've spent the last two days searching for, and watching film of Frank Ntilikina, and he's pretty impressive. For a kid who isn't even 19 years old yet, he's very skilled. Now I grant you, it's European basketball, but there were several games where he was dominate. There was one game where he played with the flu, and was still one of the best players on the floor. He has terrific size for the PG position. He's a very good athlete, and an excellent defender. And, unlike many young plaers, he actually has a very good three point shot. He may have worked his way into my favorite choice at where the Kings will be picking.

Give me him, and either Isaac or Tatum, and I'm happy.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this Duke/North Carolina game is a blast to watch. So many NBA prospects. Giles is playing with a lot of energy and very good defensively. Kennard is a knock down shooter. Tatum doing his thing. Both Jacksons on each team can play too. Jefferson might be a gem in the second round or go undrafted.

I've spent the last two days searching for, and watching film of Frank Ntilikina, and he's pretty impressive. For a kid who isn't even 19 years old yet, he's very skilled. Now I grant you, it's European basketball, but there were several games where he was dominate. There was one game where he played with the flu, and was still one of the best players on the floor. He has terrific size for the PG position. He's a very good athlete, and an excellent defender. And, unlike many young plaers, he actually has a very good three point shot. He may have worked his way into my favorite choice at where the Kings will be picking.

Although I didn't watch Ntilikina as much as I wanted to, there is no doubt in my mind that he will become a very very good player.
There is really nothing to dislike in Ntilikina: only 18 years old but already 2 pro seasons experience, tremendous physical attributes (6'5-6'6 point guard with a 6'11-7'0 wingspan !), good defender, good shooter. Also a terrific kid, very smart and very mature. More of a team player, not forcing anything but able to step up when needed (he showed that last summer when he won the FIBA Europe U18 competition with France and was named MVP).

Here in France, he is considered as a true gem and he is drawing comparison with Tony Parker who is unquestionably the best player in french basketball history.
Vincent Collet, his coach in Strasbourg, who also coached Tony Parker several years with the French national team, said that Parker is quicker and a better scorer but that Ntilikina is by far a better shooter.

I can't compare him with the US college propects as I don't watch NCAA basketball at all, but I would be extremely happy if the Kings draft Ntilikina. In my mind, at worst he will become a very valuable player like George Hill. At best, he can be a superstar.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

I've done the same with Ntilikina and my only concern is his lack of burst. He doesn't show that critical ability to get a step on his man and get to to the rim. Whether that's a confidence/skill issue or a physical one I don't know.

But I like his size and effort on defense and his upside on offense. I was leaning Ntilikina and Isaac but the Kings need a go-to scorer so I think Tatum/Ntilikina is becoming my preferred pair.

Who caught the 29 points for Lauri against UCLA? Just displayed a fantastic all-around scoring effort and UCLA had no answer for him all night. Really strong Pac12 tourney for Markkanen overall.

I'm leaning towards Fox/Markkanen for my preferred pair. The more I watch Fox play, the more he impresses me. His speed with the ball is hard to stop and because of his body control/footwork, he's next to impossible to stay in front of and keep from attacking the rim. Fox checks nearly all the boxes I want out of a future-stud PG. It's only a matter if he can get that shot working too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've done the same with Ntilikina and my only concern is his lack of burst. He doesn't show that critical ability to get a step on his man and get to to the rim. Whether that's a confidence/skill issue or a physical one I don't know.

But I like his size and effort on defense and his upside on offense. I was leaning Ntilikina and Isaac but the Kings need a go-to scorer so I think Tatum/Ntilikina is becoming my preferred pair.
I didn't notice the lack of burst, but I'm not done looking at film of him. He has pretty good handles, and a lot of little hesitation moves to get himself open, or to get into the lane. In that regard, I doubt it would be a game changer for me. Just looking at his age, size and skill level, there's not much to dislike.