PG for the Kings

K

KingMilz

Just curious on your guys opinion, why hasn't Chalmers been signed by any other team? He's very solid imo why hasn't he been picked up? I know he's injured but still he'll be back soon
I just don't see Chalmers as a option I look at Wes Mattews who is far more reliant on strength and does not need to rely as much on speed @SG or playing with tbe ball who basically hobbled all last year for the Mavericks after his Achilles. At the PG spot your going against the elite of the elite in terms of just about everything from skill/speed a guy coming off a injury that serious unless there's been some medical breakthrough or Chalmers has wolverine recovery it's just a silly risk to think of him as a back up PG right now. The guy probably won't be the same player until the season after the upcoming one if he ever comes back the same.

To me Chalmers is as big a risk or even bigger (in different ways) than Lawson/Stepehnson and he's only a small fraction of the reward if everything goes well.

I don't think we should sign Lawson. Biggest reason? PR.

2 PGs on the team with issues off the court? Something the Kings don't need. Plus, I don't think Lawson is the same player he used to be.

I don't think we should sign Lawson. Biggest reason? PR.

2 PGs on the team with issues off the court? Something the Kings don't need. Plus, I don't think Lawson is the same player he used to be.
Petrie brought in a few guys with issues. The most notable being Ron Artest. Some others that come to mind are Vernon Maxwell, J Will, Keon Clark and Bonzi Wells. All guys with a past that allowed Petrie to get them on the cheap. Sometimes those guys played well but there is always the risk something dark will arise. Like you I suspect Lawson's best days are behind him. What is hard to understand is that Lawson is only 28. Just what could be Lawson's issues?

Here is one story---> http://theundefeated.com/features/ty-lawson-aims-to-bounce-back-after-stumbling/

Petrie's gambles on those guys mostly worked because he had Rick Adelman as a head coach who was known as a players coach who gets the best out of his players. There was also a strong culture in terms of coaching staff and the roster already in place.

We are in a completely different place at the moment. We might have a very good coach but at the moment we have no culure. We are teying to rebuild that. Coach Joerger has had some success with questionable character guys in the past (Lance, Barnes, Allen and Randolph) but that Memphis team had a strong culture and locker room which makes that sort of gamble easier to control.

Hopefully we turn it around quickly and in a couple of years time we can end up taking those types of gambles again. We started seeing some of that culture slowly starting to emerge in Malone's second season before idiots fired himand took 15 steps back.

Now we have basically reset back to where we were in Malone's first season here, except we have less than half that time to make it work before Cousins becomes a free agent.

K

KingMilz

I wonder what it would take to get Terry Rozier he's a tremendous athlete with a solid handle who scraps hard (fit's the new mold, he gets into the lane at will also. I'd love to develop him with the DC situation and us needing a legit back up.

I just don't see Chalmers as a option I look at Wes Mattews who is far more reliant on strength and does not need to rely as much on speed @SG or playing with tbe ball who basically hobbled all last year for the Mavericks after his Achilles. At the PG spot your going against the elite of the elite in terms of just about everything from skill/speed a guy coming off a injury that serious unless there's been some medical breakthrough or Chalmers has wolverine recovery it's just a silly risk to think of him as a back up PG right now. The guy probably won't be the same player until the season after the upcoming one if he ever comes back the same.

To me Chalmers is as big a risk or even bigger (in different ways) than Lawson/Stepehnson and he's only a small fraction of the reward if everything goes well.
What I like about Chalmers is that he is a better fit with the starting lineup while Collison is out than every other PG that is available. With Cuz/Rudy he would just be asked to bring the ball up, get us into our sets and cut or space out and hit open 3s. I think he could be very good at that even coming back from his injury. So for me he is a better replacement while Collison is out. I agree with you however that he probably has lost his speed/explosiveness and therefore is not as good of a fit for the second unit.

What's going on with Collison? I wonder when the NBA will hand down a suspension.
When his court case is done and dusted. His hearing keeps getting postponed (I think this is now 3rd time that it has moved) which means that wecontinue to have this uncertainty around us. He will miss games, surely we know that so why the inactivity? We need to either sign or trade for a competent PG.

What's going on with Collison? I wonder when the NBA will hand down a suspension.
His court has (again) been pushed back, this time to September 8th.
For what its worth James Ham said on his last podcast that the team now operates under the impression of a 10+ game suspension whereas they expected a 2-3 game suspension before.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
His court has (again) been pushed back, this time to September 8th.
For what its worth James Ham said on his last podcast that the team now operates under the impression of a 10+ game suspension whereas they expected a 2-3 game suspension before.
Which, unless that is the reason for the "not about wins and losses" hints, means that we absolutely need to get our hands on another PG between now and opening day. Even if you want to be adventuresome and run Temple out there, he'd have no qualified backup at all. Afflalo/Ben/Malakhi aren't remotely 1/2s either.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here's one thought....maybe the Kings have a promise in place to a FA but are waiting to make a trade to open up some salary.....trade Ben for a pick or any Gay deal.....open up salary for a guy on a better contract? Is that possible?

WhyTF would Minnesota have interest in another PG. Rubio,Dunn,Jones, and even LaVine .
I dont know much about Norris Cole but if that big trade for a legit PG dont happen soon Cole sounds like a healthy option.

Norris cole makes a ton of sense for us, especially if wr dont plan on moving rudy. He had some really big games for the pelicans and stepped in as a starter admirably
Again it is that old chestnut, are we really his best option out there. Sure he could start for a few games to start the season but then what? Especially given that we are planning to play Temple at PG/SG/SF.

WhyTF would Minnesota have interest in another PG. Rubio,Dunn,Jones, and even LaVine .
I dont know much about Norris Cole but if that big trade for a legit PG dont happen soon Cole sounds like a healthy option.
Because there are teams in the NBA who actually value PGs....unlike the Kings apparently. I guess we're content with Collison/Temple. Does Vlade even want to win this season?

Thinking about our PG position day after day makes me sad. Give me an elite team that doesn't have a top tier PG. You'd be able to give me 0 teams.

Bricklayer

Because there are teams in the NBA who actually value PGs....unlike the Kings apparently. I guess we're content with Collison/Temple. Does Vlade even want to win this season?

Thinking about our PG position day after day makes me sad. Give me an elite team that doesn't have a top tier PG. You'd be able to give me 0 teams.
All depends on system. Phil Jackson won 11 rings without a top tier PG. In fact with a bottom tier PG.

Not that I think we ae going to run the Triangle, but nonetheless, the modern PG fascination is just because a) the rules make it easy for PGs today; and b) 2/3 of the team run systems featuring them. Doesn't have to be though. Houston was in the WCF 2 years ago with nothing but roleplayers there. Miami won 2 titles with nothing more than Mario Chalmers.

This is not a defense of Collison/Temple, in particular not if Collison is going to miss 10 games to start the season. Indeed, Vlade's flirtation with Nick Calathes showed that we might be looking for an extra PG of a particular role/type of model (indeed stupid European contracts may have prevented Vlade from putting together the team he wanted to this summer by denying us several long/lanky perimeter creaters in Calathes/Bogdanovic). Nonetheless, this very faddish idea that OMG PG!! :heart: :heart: XOXOXOXOXO is just that. You can run a system where they are 100% necessary. Or you can run a system where they are practically irrelevant, and win either way.

When you get right down it it, people love them some Conley, and I like him as a very solid guy too, but in the last couple of years Conley's numbers have been:

31.8min 15.8pts (.446 .386 .859) 3.0reb 5.4ast 1.3stl 0.2blk 2.2TO
31.4min 15.3pts (.422 .363 .834) 2.9reb 6.1ast 1.2stl 0.3blk 1.5TO

compared to Collison when we started him 2 years ago:

34.8min 16.1pts (.473 .373 .788) 3.2reb 5.6ast 1.5stl 0.3blk 2.5TO

We can downplay the importance of PGs all we want, but this is shaping up to be as bad as 07-08 where we started off the season with Orien Greene and Douby as our point guards, and Salmons was the main ball handler. I don't think most people remember how bad that team actually looked in those games until Beno arrived.

Bricklayer

We can downplay the importance of PGs all we want, but this is shaping up to be as bad as 07-08 where we started off the season with Orien Greene and Douby as our point guards, and Salmons was the main ball handler. I don't think most people remember how bad that team actually looked in those games until Beno arrived.
I would assume you mean the games until Collison gets back. And...perhaps. Back then we had no system or plan or goto star to survive it, and those guys were inexperienced kids. Temple can at the very least advance the ball and initiate an offensive set. But if Collison is going to be missing for any significant amount of time, we absolutely need a second PG. Still, training camp is a month away, opening night 2 months away, lots of time.

It sounds like Joerger plans to allow Cousins to make a lot of plays for his teammates, and that is something I've waited forever for. This shouldn't be a system reliant on a PG to make plays. With that said, Collison is getting criminally underrated here. He's shown to be a really good PG compared to many in the league with a lot more hype. Hopefully this season he shows the league his worth. Of course that brings up the issue of re-signing him so it would kind of suck in that sense.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Which, unless that is the reason for the "not about wins and losses" hints, means that we absolutely need to get our hands on another PG between now and opening day. Even if you want to be adventuresome and run Temple out there, he'd have no qualified backup at all. Afflalo/Ben/Malakhi aren't remotely 1/2s either.
Ahhhh, Umm, Well, we still have Isaiah Cousins....Sooooo, were good!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Speaking of trading for a PG, a player that I really liked in Summer League, and I believe he was voted the most valuable player this year, is Tyrus Jones of the Timberwolves. They already have Rubio and now Dunn, so maybe they would be willing to trade Jones. He was very impressive in all the games I was him play. Made some nice passes, and shot the ball extremely well. Their a little thin at the SG position, so how about a McLemore for Jones trade. Both young players with some upside.

We have all the faith ib joerger that he can handle these personalities.

Good news is lawson is 2 years from being a top 10 pg and he has every reason to bust his ass for a longterm deal. High risk high reward type deal

We have all the faith ib joerger that he can handle these personalities.

Good news is lawson is 2 years from being a top 10 pg and he has every reason to bust his ass for a longterm deal. High risk high reward type deal
I think on a 1 year deal, he is LOW RISK, HIGH REWARD type player....

IF he proves to be a problem, you can easily get rid of him...

BUT, IF he resurrects his career in Sacramento, like Rondo did, then the Kings will have another decision to make on a veteran PG next summer.