Petrie's draft picks (split)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
This is an utterly irrelevant designation, and so an utterly irrelevant development with Smart, except of course for the Maloofs to have one last ability to make new ownership look bad when it canes the coach who was sitting there for the lottery drawing.
Yes. But in actual bad news it looks like Petrie will be staying through the actual draft and has been interviewing players... So we get one more Petire pick before he goes.

Yes. But in actual bad news it looks like Petrie will be staying through the actual draft and has been interviewing players... So we get one more Petire pick before he goes.
hopefully petrie will see it as an opportunity to redeem himself a bit on the way out the door, as he will not have to answer to the maloofs' purse strings. that said, even untethered to the influence of the maloofs, it's a weak draft class, and the kings should be looking to build upon a bedrock of demarcus cousins and tyreke evans. whoever they pull out of the draft will likely have minimal immediate impact. the major takeaway from the fact that petrie will likely be making the selection is that we are not likely to see any movement from the kings on draft day, which is unfortunate, in my opinion. i would have loved for the kings to consider shopping their first round pick for any veteran, defensive-minded talent they might have been able to dredge up...

hopefully petrie will see it as an opportunity to redeem himself a bit on the way out the door, as he will not have to answer to the maloofs' purse strings. that said, even untethered to the influence of the maloofs, it's a weak draft class, and the kings should be looking to build upon a bedrock of demarcus cousins and tyreke evans. whoever they pull out of the draft will likely have minimal immediate impact. the major takeaway from the fact that petrie will likely be making the selection is that we are not likely to see any movement from the kings on draft day, which is unfortunate, in my opinion. i would have loved for the kings to consider shopping their first round pick for any veteran, defensive-minded talent they might have been able to dredge up...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Exactly, unless we beat the odds and get a 1-3 I would have liked to see the pick traded. Oh well.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Petrie has been doing the homework and he may make the pick, but make no mistake about it. He will be doing so under the direction of Vivek Ranadive. Our new owner isn't going to just sit back and wait and see who Geoff Petrie thinks is best for the team. Vivek is hands-on and he has definite ideas about the direction he wants our team to go.

I don't really have a problem with GP making the pick. Apart from the last two years, he'd made two very good selections in the two years preceding it. They were based on talent and what he saw in workouts, as well as scouting etc.. I believe the Magoofs forced his hand with Jimmer - I don't think it was who he wanted. And I believe he knows how big a mistake he made last year - he supposedly really liked Lillard, and has probably been kicking himself since for picking someone he never worked out (something that bit him in the a** before too). He's not going to make that mistake two years in a row. Geoff is still a good drafter for the most part.

I think he'll likely just take the best player and worry about the rest later.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Lillard would be Petrie's kind of player. I don't think he has much of an eye for big guys who can't shoot and as it turns out, everything he heard about TRob may have been wrong.

I certainly wouldn't be concerned about him making the pick. Actually without the BM whispering in his ear, he might do OK. The problem for him as I understand it is that his staff has been gutted and his equipment is now 2nd rate. There are very few scouts. The Maloofs have been very good at cutting costs which of course is not good for the team.

As to his future, I'll bet he retires no matter what the owners want.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lillard would be Petrie's kind of player. I don't think he has much of an eye for big guys who can't shoot and as it turns out, everything he heard about TRob may have been wrong.

I certainly wouldn't be concerned about him making the pick. Actually without the BM whispering in his ear, he might do OK. The problem for him as I understand it is that his staff has been gutted and his equipment is now 2nd rate. There are very few scouts. The Maloofs have been very good at cutting costs which of course is not good for the team.

As to his future, I'll bet he retires no matter what the owners want.
Geoff's draft history with the Kings:

1994 NBA Draft

#8 Brian Grant
#35 Michael Smith

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Eddie Jones & Jalen Rose

1995 NBA Draft:

#13 Corliss Williamson
#47 Tyus Edney
#51 Dejan Bodiroga (this pick could have been HUGE had Bodiroga come over)

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Michael Finley, Theo Ratliff & Brent Barry

1996 NBA Draft:

#14 Peja Stojakovic
#41 - Jason Sasser

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Steve Nash, Jermaine O'Neal (straight out of HS) and Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Word was that Petrie was poised to take Kobe before the Divac to the Hornets trade that let LA grab him.

1997 NBA Draft:

#11 - Tariq Abdul-Wahad
#40 - Anthony Johnson

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Pretty much just Stephen Jackson in the 2nd round. Maybe Derek Anderson if injuries hadn't derailed his career. Brevin Knight and Bobby Jackson also went in this draft.

1998 NBA Draft:

#7 - Jason Williams
#36 - Jerome James

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Paul Pierce & Dirk Nowitzki. Pierce had an inexplicable slide and shouldn't have lasted to the 10th pick. Dirk had big potential but he really struggled early on. I have zero issue with Petrie taking JWill as he was instrumental in the Kings becoming relevant.

1999 NBA Draft:

No first round pick
#45 - Ryan Robertson. Only player that would've been better is Manu Ginobili at 57, and pretty much every single team in the league passed on him (including San Antonio the first time, as they took Leon Smith with the 29th pick).

Players of note drafted after our 2nd round pick: Manu Ginobili. Considering 56 other players were taken before him, it's safe to say Petrie wasn't alone on missing on Manu.

2000 NBA Draft:

#16 - Hidayet Turkoglu
#45 - Jabari Smith

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Nobody really. Maybe you could say Michael Redd. Terrible draft year.

2001 NBA Draft:

#25 - Gerald Wallace
#55 - Maurice Jeffers

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Tony Parker, Samuel Dalembert, Mehmet Okur and I guess you could say Agent Zero, Gilbert Arenas.

2002 NBA Draft:

#28 - Dan Dickau,
#57 - Corsley Edwards (though the Kings also traded for the rights to Darius Songaila)

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Carlos Boozer & Flip Murray.

2003 NBA Draft:

No picks due to the Nick Anderson/Tariq Abdul Wahad trade and the previous trade for Songaila. This was a top heavy draft with quite a few future stars, but the pick the Kings traded was 27th which turned into Kendrick Perkins. The next two picks were Barbosa and Josh Howard. Some decent roleplayers taken in the 2nd round (Korver, Kapono, Bonner, Pachulia, Mo Williams) but no difference makers.

2004 NBA Draft:

#26 - Kevin Martin
#48 - Ricky Minard

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Anderson Varejao, Trevor Ariza

2005 NBA Draft:

#23 - Francisco Garcia

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: David Lee, Monta Ellis, Marcin Gortat and I suppose you could say Andray Blatche

2006 NBA Draft:

#19 - Quincy Douby

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Rajon Rondo and Kyle Lowry. Ouch. Paul Millsap would have been a better pick as well.

2007 NBA Draft:

#10 - Spencer Hawes Word was that Petrie really wanted Noah. Too bad Geoff never seems to trade up. Still, not an awful pick. Hawes was inconsistent but flashed potential. Too bad he never developed any consistency or realized that potential.

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Marc Gasol (late 2nd round), Carl Landry, Thadeus Young, Tiago Splitter

2008 NBA Draft:

#12 - Jason Thompson
#42 - Sean Singletary
#43 - Patrick Ewing, Jr.

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Roy Hibbert, Serge Ibaka, Robin Lopez, Nic Batum and several serviceable bigs like DeAndre Jordan, Omer Asik, JaVale McGee etc

2009 NBA Draft:

#4 - Tyreke Evans
#23 - Omri Casspi
#38 - Jon Brockman

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Steph Curry, Ricky Rubio, Brandon Jennings, and our own Marcus Thornton

Curry has ascended to be a star, but I still don't find fault with this pick.

2010 NBA Draft

#5 DeMarcus Cousins
#33 Hassan Whiteside

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Paul George, Greg Monroe

2011 NBA Draft
#10 Jimmer Freddette (actually took Bismack Biyombo as part of the trade)
#35 Tyler Honeycutt
#60 Isiah Thomas

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, Kenneth Faried, Marshon Brooks, Alec Burks, Chandler Parsons

2012 NBA Draft

#5 Thomas Robinson

Players of note drafted after our 1st round pick: Damien Lillard, Andre Drummond, Harrison Barnes, John Henson, Terrence Jones, Draymond Green, Festus Ezeli, and probably any number of other players that will have a better career than Robinson. Fournier? Leonard? Harkless? Sullinger? Time will tell.

The last two draft days have been unmitigated disasters. Are they signs that Geoff has lost his touch completely, that the Maloofs penny pinching and meddling have had deleterious results or both? I have no idea. But for all the flack that Petrie gets for the Douby pick I can at least give him a pass on that one. Sure Rondo was there, but Rondo was also a non-shooting headache which he remains to this day. It's the last two drafts that make me wary of Petrie's finger on the button this time around.

That and the fact that he is the LEAST aggressive draft day GM the league has ever seen. Sure, I'll take patient and solid over aggressive and erroneous, but obviously the ideal is a guy who knows exactly how he wants to build his team and goes out and gets the right guys as the Spurs did with Leonard a couple years ago.

I don't know if Petrie will do the drafting this year, but looking through the full list I can say that (1) Petrie was right a lot more than he was wrong, showing a good eye for talent and (2) he drafted a lot more than finesse shooters. It will be interesting to see what happens.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
All draft history aside, the Beno and #7 pick for Jimmer and Salmons trade and the trading of Thomas Robinson before he ever got a real shot at living up to his potential signals to me that Geoff is not the right person to solve the "how do we build around Tyreke and Cousins" puzzle. He just doesn't get it. These moves are either wrong-headed or blind shots in the dark. I'll give him credit for believing in Tyreke. He got a gift in Cousins. But in the two years since not only have we not seen progress, we've seen regression in most areas. And it was his foot-dragging half-hearted refusal to disassemble a fading playoff team that put us in this position to begin with. Geoff Petrie has done a lot of good things for this franchise, but when your time has come your time has come and we're well passed that point with Geoff. If we'd had owners who cared he would have been gone years ago. Hopefully we're able to get a new braintrust in place before the draft because this franchise needs a lot more than sitting back and taking the BPA. This franchise needs someone with a vision for what it should be and the ability to take it there, actively and aggressively.

As to the topic at hand, I would expect Ranadive is the one to represent us tomorrow. KJ has already gone and he's the next most visible face of the new ownership group. I would have thought we'd hear something about this by now though.

EDIT -- Spoke too soon. Looks like it's... Keith Smart?! (link)

Last edited:
Petrie takes ballhandling and shooting over everything else. Look at the roster - oh, it's full of those guys. Even Smart was able to demonstrate that current roster can produce elite offense. This team didn't need Lillard last summer, it needed Drummond or at least Barnes.

Petrie takes ballhandling and shooting over everything else. Look at the roster - oh, it's full of those guys. Even Smart was able to demonstrate that current roster can produce elite offense. This team didn't need Lillard last summer, it needed Drummond or at least Barnes.
Lillard would have been great with this team. It would have given us a TON of flexibility to move other pieces. I didn't like Drummond, and I wanted Barnes.

2012 - Barnes
2011 - Hamilton (was discussing trading WAY down to get him though)
2010 - Cousins
2009 - Rubio
2008 - Loved Love, but never could have got him - liked Hibbert
2007 - Loved Noah but couldn't trade down, Probably would have taken Young

Last edited:
FWIW T-Rob could not shoot or put the ball on the floor besides a straight line drive with the occasional spin move thrown in every once in a while.

I feel that IT is a bit overrated but I would say when given control of the team, or the ball, to be more correct, he produced excellent offense, using the fact that he had excellent set of offensive talent playing alongside him that took attention away from him just like Lillard. What's more, in Portland this talent was pretty well complementary if we look at starting 5 at least. When you look on defense though, it wasn't all that bright. Lillard really struggled with penetration as well so in my mind he wouldn't be that much of an upgrade over IT.
As for T-Rob, I think his junior season really screwed him. He made big jump from role player to featured one, and it got in his head. Environment created by Smart didn't help either with Summer League as SF and featured player. Still ThoR had a few games where you could see what he could do if he was limited to Faried role for now and stayed within it. But here excessive chucking without much team play came in, he was severely underutilized as a finisher so he decided to create for himself just like Johnson or Outlaw.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
after just blowing the Robinson pick I doubt Vivek lets Petrie anywhere near this decision.
TRob was a top 5 pick by almost everyone in the league. Houston traded for him and gave up more than they got. Petrie's history is top notch. There were some coaches who didn't match the type of player drafted in past 5 years too.

Petrie can't be blamed for Robinson, before the draft he was largely a consensus #2, we were considered lucky he fell to us. I'm quasi about Petrie, he's been up and down

The Robinson pick was jackpot. But Mr. SMART toyed with the kid's minutes.
Given his somewhat underwhelming progress even under a good coach like McHale, it's a bit premature to make any definite statements. He should be granted another 1-2 years, but right now it does not look good for T-Rob.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
To me it is not an issue of whether or not Petrie is good or bad at picking or even making trades for that matter. He has a strong history of success and large body of failures in his resume on both counts. To me the problem is it is extremely unlikely he will be in place as GM in July and there is no indication that he has been in contact with his replacement or even a replacement coach. The process of building a team requires that the architect have a vision and a direction for the team. They need to know what kind of offense they plan to run, the essential defensive strategies they plan to employ and you draft/trade to fill the spots you need. If a GM just keeps drafting best available player they look like the Clippers over the past 20 years. There is a reason teams like the Spurs, Lakers Celtics are always in the finals and rarely in the lotto. PLANING. So with any planning at all this should be the Kings last trip to the lotto or top 10 pick for a long long time and I hate to see it wasted on a best available player, another min-chucker or undersized forward.

I hope I am wrong and GP has a clear idea of where the team is going next year will pull off a little of the old magic one more time, but I would have felt better with a new GM and coach in place before the draft.

To me it is not an issue of whether or not Petrie is good or bad at picking or even making trades for that matter. He has a strong history of success and large body of failures in his resume on both counts. To me the problem is it is extremely unlikely he will be in place as GM in July and there is no indication that he has been in contact with his replacement or even a replacement coach. The process of building a team requires that the architect have a vision and a direction for the team. They need to know what kind of offense they plan to run, the essential defensive strategies they plan to employ and you draft/trade to fill the spots you need. If a GM just keeps drafting best available player they look like the Clippers over the past 20 years. There is a reason teams like the Spurs, Lakers Celtics are always in the finals and rarely in the lotto. PLANING. So with any planning at all this should be the Kings last trip to the lotto or top 10 pick for a long long time and I hate to see it wasted on a best available player, another min-chucker or undersized forward.

I hope I am wrong and GP has a clear idea of where the team is going next year will pull off a little of the old magic one more time, but I would have felt better with a new GM and coach in place before the draft.
indeed. it's why i was concerned about the delay of the vote on relocation of the team. every week of preparation counts in this compressed offseason for the kings. the sooner they're able to make decisions on GM and coaching hires, the better, but it would definitely be preferable if those structures were in place by draft day, because that's where offseason planning starts...

a lottery pick in a weak draft that's even more of a crapshoot than usual makes for good trade bait, and the kings have glaring holes that they could potentially fill by shopping their pick, wherever it lands. but petrie doesn't budge too much on draft day. he scouts his guy and makes a pick, often regardless of the makeup of the roster. and the last time he maneuvered a draft day trade, it was the absolute debacle that brought john salmons back to sacramento...

so i'm not terribly excited by the prospect of a lame duck petrie making the kings pick for them, even if new ownership communicates with him throughout the process. the kings will likely end up with the 6th pick, they'll likely take BPA, and hopefully that player will have some defensive utility, but we'll more than likely end up with another scorer (probably a guard) who doesn't fit with this mess of a roster. it will likely be just another piece of the puzzle to sort out in the offseason, when it could be an opportunity to jumpstart the balancing of the roster...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
indeed. it's why i was concerned about the delay of the vote on relocation of the team. every week of preparation counts in this compressed offseason for the kings. the sooner they're able to make decisions on GM and coaching hires, the better, but it would definitely be preferable if those structures were in place by draft day, because that's where offseason planning starts...

a lottery pick in a weak draft that's even more of a crapshoot than usual makes for good trade bait, and the kings have glaring holes that they could potentially fill by shopping their pick, wherever it lands. but petrie doesn't budge too much on draft day. he scouts his guy and makes a pick, often regardless of the makeup of the roster. and the last time he maneuvered a draft day trade, it was the absolute debacle that brought john salmons back to sacramento...

so i'm not terribly excited by the prospect of a lame duck petrie making the kings pick for them, even if new ownership communicates with him throughout the process. the kings will likely end up with the 6th pick, they'll likely take BPA, and hopefully that player will have some defensive utility, but we'll more than likely end up with another scorer (probably a guard) who doesn't fit with this mess of a roster. it will likely be just another piece of the puzzle to sort out in the offseason, when it could be an opportunity to jumpstart the balancing of the roster...
Fortunately, or unfortunately, some of the best players in this draft are guards. There are some bigs with good potential, and it might benefit us to make a reach for one of them for the future. One of my favorite players is a guard. Oladipo! But Oladipo was also the best defensive guard in all of college last season. The fact that he shot just under 60% overall and 44% from beyond the arc doesn't hurt either. He's one guard that I'd love to have on the team because he would change the culture of this team on defense. My favorite player to draft is Otto Porter, the 6'8" SF from Georgetown, who I think is the best all around player in the entire draft.

Anyway, its very possible that if we do take the best player available, and Porter is gone, it might be a guard. And that might not be such a bad thing depending on what other moves we make. But some other moves would have to be made.