Periodic Grant-Jerry good, bad or indifferent thread

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
As a replacement for Grant Napier... Probabbly
As a replacement for Jerry Renolds... Yes
For Jim Kozamer in a heartbeat.

Oh you meant as a PLAYER... lol those days are gone and Pollard's only future lays in broadcasting.

Note: I split this off from the thread in the Personnel Moves forum about wanting Scot Pollard to return to the Kings.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a replacement for Grant Napier... Probabbly
As a replacement for Jerry Renolds... Yes
For Jim Kozamer in a heartbeat.

Oh you meant as a PLAYER... lol those days are gone and Pollard's only future lays in broadcasting.
I watch many games on NBALP and Jerry is probably one of the top 5-7 color guys in the league. 1) He knows the game, 2) He's funny, 3) He's not monotone. Some of the guys on LP are PATHETIC. Jerry is definitely one of the better ones in the league.

While I'm not as fond of Grant either, he's still one of the better call guys as well.

Some of these teams TV guys just SUCK.

I watch many games on NBALP and Jerry is probably one of the top 5-7 color guys in the league. 1) He knows the game, 2) He's funny, 3) He's not monotone. Some of the guys on LP are PATHETIC. Jerry is definitely one of the better ones in the league.

While I'm not as fond of Grant either, he's still one of the better call guys as well.

Agreed. I like Rant and Jerry calling the games. On the other hand, Rant's talk show is absolutely terrible, second only to Jim Rome in annoyingness.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

There are many sucky color guys around the league -- local TV unfortunately rarely recruits top guys, and most of them are bieng paid by the team they cover, so its all varieties of homer garbage if you don't want to get fired. Unfortunately Jerry is one of them. He sole value is as comic relief, but he's a godawful homer, and he does NOT know the game. Or perhaps it might be accurate to speculate that any knowledge he has of the game is completely superceeded by the necessity of being a homer. Thus shotblockers don't matter, Reef is best at center, smallball wins games, Mike Bibby is definitely an All Star this year no doubt, Kevin is a top young defender, such and such a PF sure is going to have ahard time handling Kenny's quickness, and gee shucks gosh darn we sure are having fun! Then again, maybe there is a reason he was a terrible coach and GM, and his duties should be restricted to pure PR and community outreach rather than anything having to do with analysis.

Grant is a pretty good play by play man, but again, his biases and vindictive nature make him unpalatable at best. That is actually Jerry's one saving grace -- his obvious discomfort when Grant goes off track too far.

Last edited:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden

While not a Pollard comment, I put Jerry in the top 2 color guys for your reasons above. If we take this further lets move it to a new post.

As for Pollard, he says he is a "running big" not suited for the eastern game. He is a better defender than Brad but not the high post presence of Brad. He is a great bench guy for both the 4 and 5. But if Kings are going youth...... well, too bad for Scot. He was definitely the fan favorite in his years here with his "do's" changing every week or sooner. And a very agressive rebounder. If Brad leaves without a 5 in return, then maybe for bench/locker room presence if he can get at least 20 min/game.

Grant is a great color guy as far as catch phrases and excitement go. I like how he gets all pumped up and loud even if some people say its fake emotion I could care less he does a great job at faking it then. Reynolds is a good guy, very knowledgeable and I think they both do a pretty good job.

There are many sucky color guys around the league -- local TV unfortunately rarely recruits top guys, and most of them are bieng paid by the team they cover, so its all varieties of himer garbage if you don't want to get fired. Unfortunately Jerry is one of them. He sole value is as comic relief, but he's a godawful homer, and he does NOT know the game. Or perhaps it might be accurate to speculate that any knowledge he has of the game is completely superceeded by the necessity of being a homer. Thus shotblockers don't matter, Reef is best at center, smallball wins games, Mike Bibby is definitely an All Star this year no doubt, Kevin is a top young defender, such and such a PF sure is going to have ahard time handling Kenny's quickness, and gee shucks gosh darn we sure are having fun! Then again, maybe there is a reason he was a terrible coach and GM, and his duties should be restricted to pure PR and community outreach rather than anything having to do with analysis.

Grant is a pretty good play by play man, but again, his biases and vindictive nature make him unpalatable at best. That is actually Jerry's one saving grace -- his obvious discomfort when Grant goes off track too far.

I agree 100%... I almost fall asleep watching some of these other games.