Peja's Touches and more

Just a few random musings...

Did anyone else notice that, in the third quarter, it took Peja five and a half minutes to even get a touch, and that when he did get one, he hit a shot? Then they went away from him again?

I fully expected to see Peja getting touches, to see the offense run through him to start the second half. But Mike and Cuttino isolated at the top of the key and threw up bad shots with the rest of the team standing around for the first half of the second quarter. Cuttino finally got the right idea and started attacking the rim, but not until we were down by 21.

I don't know where Rick was as far as making Peja a bigger part of the offense, and I don't know why Peja didn't go get the ball, but that's a big problem, and I think it's the reason why we didn't make the third quarter run that all of us Kings fans were expecting at half-time.

By the way, we really saw Mike struggle, and I think it has something to do with Webber's absence. Saturday was Mike's first playoff game without Chris and their patented two-man game. The defense is really going to concentrate on keeping Mike uncomfortable, and they did a good job of it. 1-16 with three points is atrocious, and I don't expect to see it again. But we have to find a way to balance out the amount of shots our hot players are taking with the ones our cold players are taking. In other words, Mike doesn't need to be 1-16 if Peja is shooting 50%. Mike, don't force it, but don't back off. Find other ways to contribute, run some two-man offense with Peja, and make sure that you're solid on D.

Cuttino needs to be more consistent. It's as simple as that. We need to either be able to rely on him to give us an efficient 16-20 points a game in the playoffs and play some solid D, or we need to make other plans. Whether we retain him beyond this season will likely have a lot to do with how he plays in April and (hopefully) May.

Rick, put our big thug on their big thugs. Seattle is obviously a lot more physical inside than Skinner and Thomas are willing to be, so let Greg mix it up with them. Give him the opportunity to contribute; he's been taking advantage of it in the past 2 weeks or so. He can be a big plus for us, and there's a reason we're paying him. Go to him early, not just when we're down by 15 points.

Peja, rebound. Peja, get the ball. Peja, become what we need you to become in the postseason. Calling Peja, please. Peja, please. We need you out there, and we need you to play when you're out there.

Okay, I'm done. Thoughts, comments, suggestions, gripes, criticisms, etc., are all welcome and warranted.

haha I thought this was a confession to something, you got me worried there! ;)

Anyway...I have been noticing that Peja hasn't been getting the ball as often as before. But hey, if Cuttino scores, Bobby scores, Bibby scores, its just as good to have the team as productive. No doubt about it Cuttino was hot in Game 1, but we all have to step up. Peja has to grab them rebounds and break a sweat.

Things have been getting physical out there. I remember when Skinner and Thomas came, they were basically our defense! What happened to Skinner? That man is a rebounding machine! I think we should have Skinner play a little more D...because that man CAN rebound. Corliss has to step it up also. Given the name "Big Nasty", he should be able to provide us with defensive toughness thoughout the playoffs.

Unfortunately, Bibby and Bobby weren't scoring, and Cuttino wasn't contributing much until after the first 6 minutes of the third quarter. And during that time, we fell behind by 21 points, and Peja touched the ball just once. Hit a nice jumper, too. When Mike and Cuttino and Bobby can't get it going, even for a few minutes, where is Peja? Why isn't he getting the ball?

I'm pretty sure people are gonna step up their game tonight.. i have that scary feeling that their gonna eat Ray Allen and the Sonics alive tonight...

i noticed that also. i know there's a flow to the game and you can't just purposely give the ball to one person at all times ( MJ was the only one to pull that off), but hey, can't they see that they have another offensive weapon, namely peja?

Pedja's touches have been an issue since a long long time ago.
It's not going to get any easier from here on, because the teams always put a man to pretty much shadow him, and there is not enough inside presence to get the extra room on the inside... Pedja has to do what he never did - demand the ball and be ridicilously aggressive when coming out of the picks, and Jackson and Mobley do what they never do - look to pass.

i noticed that the team may not set peja up for shots, but if he moves away from the ball and keep his legs running, often he can set himself up for a shot and hopfully whoever has the ball would see it and pass it to him.

whichever works, i hipe they do it tonight and bring the series back to arco with 1-1.

Peja said:
Don't worry guys,I won't let you down tonight! ;)

better not. we gotta win tonight. I WON'T SETTLE FOR A LOSS. DONT GIVE RAY ALLEN OPEN LOOKS, HIT HIM IN THE FACE, KICK HIM IN THE LEGS. HAHAHHAHAHAA

D

Double E

sloter said:
It's not going to get any easier from here on, because the teams always put a man to pretty much shadow him, and there is not enough inside presence to get the extra room on the inside... Pedja has to do what he never did - demand the ball and be ridicilously aggressive when coming out of the picks, and Jackson and Mobley do what they never do - look to pass.
Great post until here. Peja can not (has not) ever blame(d) anybody else for him not getting the ball. If he wants it, with the way defenses treat him, he has got to earn it. By running through screens, cuts, ect. Reggie Miller ball. What Jackson and Mobley have to do with it is irrelevant because his problems have occurred with or without them.

Last edited by a moderator:
sloter said:
No. Peja's touches have been an issue since we stopped being an elite team. Now that Webber's gone, he should be no less than option 1A, and on a night like Saturday, there's no disputing that. (By the way, let's not make this into a Peja vs. Webber issue, please.)

That game, he came out in the third quarter moving some, but then stopped since Bibby and Cuttino were determined to take every shot. No one even looked his way until he flashed out at the top of the key and probably yelled for the ball.

Jackson and Mobley do look to pass, but it's not easy to find someone who doesn't make himself noticeable. Peja has to be active, make Rashard Lewis chase him, and if possible, tire him out so much on the defensive end that he has nothing left on the offensive end.

Double E said:
Great post until here. Peja can not (has not) ever blame anybody else for him not getting the ball. If he wants it, with the way defenses treats him, he has got to earn it. By running through screen, cuts, ect. Reggie Miller ball. What Jackson and Mobley have to do with it is irrelevant because his problems have occurred with or without them.
Bingo.

I think there are 3 factors to Peja not getting touches late in games:

1. The defense is keying on him, placing their best defender on him, and denying him the ball.

2. We have two guards on our team who DEMAND the ball in crucial situations. Even if one of them is say 1-15, they are so confident in their abilities, that they want to take the big shots more than anyone on the court.

3. Except for the rare games where Peja has one of those out of body experiences and goes off for 40 points, Peja is not a guy who is great at creating his own shot. You'll notice that he usually waits until he gets a switch and gets a big man on him before he'll go one-on-one. I'm not saying this is bad, he just knows his limitations. Look at the last shot against Seattle. He gets the ball with 5 seconds left, and instead of knocking it down to tie the game he gives the ball up to Bibby who was having a horrible game. Peja just doesn't have that Superstar mentallity where he insists on winning the game. That is great to be that team player (for the first 3 quarters), but until he wants, takes, and makes those 4th quarter game winning/tieing shots, he'll never be the star.

keflanag said:
I think there are 3 factors to Peja not getting touches late in games:

1. The defense is keying on him, placing their best defender on him, and denying him the ball.
I agree with you on everything else, but on Saturday, this wasn't the case in the third quarter. Bibby and Mobley were forcing shots and weren't looking for Peja at all. He was open and should have gotten the ball, but got lost in the shuffle. That shouldn't happen when he is the only one that's hitting shots (at least Mobley started going to the rack and making layups, and wound up having a good second half).

And it's partly Peja's fault, partly the rest of the team's fault. I've never been an advocate of the "Peja needs more touches party," but he needs to touch the ball more than once or twice in the first 6 minutes of the third quarter. And I'm not exaggerating; he didn't touch the ball until five a half minutes had gone by.

They should set picks up for Peja more. We know he can hit them, and deep if it needs be. Yes they do put their best defenders on Peja, and Peja averages the most minutes on the team, so he's probably tired to be offensively agressive at times. Sometimes I feel Adelman keeps him out there just to help with the isolations for Bibby or Mobley. I don't know, but I do know if he does becomes more hungry for the ball, he can make a lot more happen. But eh, I always feel what he did in the season last year is just a shadow of what he's going to become.

Superman said:
Peja, rebound. Peja, get the ball. Peja, become what we need you to become in the postseason. Calling Peja, please. Peja, please.

Peja, book your flight to Greece. How many times do we have to see this guy disappear in the playoffs before it becomes his fault and not some huge conspiracy? I'm not saying that Superman is implying that, but Peja just doesn't want it. Period dot. His teammates know that, so they don't look his way. Why bother? I mean, would you intentionally remove a 20 point scorer from crucial parts of the game? Not even the Shaq lead Lakers did that with Kobe, so why would the Kings pull that on Peja? And what more can Rick do? This has been going on for at least 5 years. I think Rick has washed his hands of the whole thing. Peja doesn't want it, so he lets Mike and Cat try to manufacture shots and wins. If Peja cared about this he would say something. Oh sure, he grumbles every summer to the Serbian press, but he never does anything when he has the opportunity, so he's clearly just pandering to his countrymen. God I wish Bodiroga were over here, that guy is clutch.

That post is gonna make you very unpopular among quite a few posters, sir. Sad thing is, you may be right. It has a lot of truth to it.

I wouldn't give up on Peja simply because he can - and has been - a truly viable first option for us. I just want him to take advantage of the opportunity it is.