PC game - Portal

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
OK, I don't know how many of you are PC gamers, but Portal is nothing but coolness for a first-person shooter. I have played a lot of them, but this one was really, really fun and relatively non-violent.

Nice thing is, for the younger set, there is no shooting at all by you. The portal gun makes portals (holes you can walk through) only. It's like a big puzzle game involving physics and geometry in a fun way to get yourself across a map, etc. Later on there are dangers (floors you can't walk on, sentry guns shooting at you if you don't avoid them, etc) but it is just the challenge of avoiding them that drives the game.

It only comes (retail) in the Orange Box set, but online you can buy it as a download separately.

http://orange.half-life2.com/portal.html

And, frankly, it's the funniest game I've played in a long time.

Highly, highly recommended for gamers of (almost) all ages.

In fact, I watched the trailer and saw a way to knock out the sentry guns I never thought of - now I want to try some of those levels again with one of the tricks it shows. Would make those areas a lot easier!

ahhh... wierd ive never actually heard of it and its mae by the same makers of half-life....

ill probably try it out...

have you played halo 3??? thats something ive been wanting to get for a while now... apparently its the best halo yet....

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
ahhh... wierd ive never actually heard of it and its mae by the same makers of half-life....

ill probably try it out...

have you played halo 3??? thats something ive been wanting to get for a while now... apparently its the best halo yet....
Nope - never tried the Halo games and strictly stick to PC gaming. No console stuff.

Portal seemed like a throw-in into the Orange Box, but I consider it to be a very worthy game unto itself. Looks like they are going to possibly have some tie-ins to the Half-Life universe. I'd like to see the Portal gun in future HL games - that would be VERY cool.

Played Half-Life 2 Episode 2 and the first part drags a bit but it really picks up at the end. Graphically it looks fantastic. I'd say Portal looks a bit, well, bland, but that is done intentionally - the setting is a training environment.