Patience level for WCS? (merged)

Ben and Willie both glide around the floor like they are waiting for something to happen, rather than make something happen.
They both strike me as mentally unsuited for the NBA. They are passive players without a sense of urgency.
For all we know they could have some emotional issues.

G

glassman

“I don’t want to just be a defensive guy. I think I have way too much to give to settle for that. So I’m putting it on myself. I work on guard skills all the time. You don’t see guys my size doing guard stuff. And someday, somebody is gonna take it and run with it, and that’s when I’m gonna be special.”

“I am going to just keep working hard,” Cauley-Stein said. “I’m developing a lot during practice. People are going to be surprised. I have all the skills you need. It’s just locked up. When it gets unlocked, I’m going to be special.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article127132329.html#storylink=cpy

Well if anyone wasn't already over this kid. Im 100% out. I hope he someone out there thinks they can get more out of him cause we need to trade this joke... He thinks he's the next A.I.? guard skills? omg wow if I'm Divac and I see these quotes I'm including him in any and every trade package

So glad Dave pulled this fool off the floor for the most part if you can't grab a board, play defense, and block shots as a defensive player you don't play. The saddest part is he really had the ability to be not just a good defender but a great one. He clearly will NEVER realize that potential. He's too busy on those guard skills and designing watches

http://modifywatches.com/collections/willie-cauley-stein

one way ticket to bust land!

Some of the quotes in that article seem old. Was this all from a new interview? The bee photograph is dated December 26, 2017! I see the Bee has perfected their time-traveling technology.

But seriously - Earth to WCS: You have played awful. You need to focus on your defensive intensity. That is your bread and butter and that will get you in the rotation. Until you show you can do simple stuff, no one is going to let you "unleash" those special skills that you claim you have.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I don't see anything wrong with what he said
Well, I don't really like that our 7 foot C who doesn't know how to rebound is working on guard skills, but I agree with you.

He's just talking about how he's busting his butt trying to improve. What's wrong with that? Lord knows he needs to get better, if he doesn't he'll be playing in China in a couple years.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
He'll get a lot of playing time after the All-Star break if we're slipping out of the playoffs and Kosta has been traded. He's just got to be patient and keep working hard. It's a little bit ludicrous to be having this discussion midway through a guy's second year in the league. I've run the full gamut with Cauley-Stein -- didn't want us to draft him, didn't like his wavering intensity in college or his lack of a go-to skill or his insistence that watching tape wasn't part of his preparation. Last season as he showed a lot of energy on the court in February and March I could see him being an important piece for us moving forward if he could maintain that intensity and improve his skill level. This season he seems to have regressed into passivity on the court, which can happen if a guy is thinking too much or trying to find his footing with a new system. I'd prefer that he focus on being a great defender before he makes statements like "I don't want to be just a defensive guy" -- how about you actually get there first, a place where others have strived their whole careers to get, before turning up your nose at the pigeonholing -- but I also think it's absurd to write somebody off after a season or so. He's not going to be any of the guys we didn't draft so it's unfair to hold that against him. Our job as a franchise is to stick with the guy we believed in when we drafted him and ensure that he gets every chance to live up to his maximum potential.

I also think Dave Joerger has a point -- young players need to earn playing time. It's unfair to the veterans to bench them because management wants to see their lottery prize in action. He's got to establish a culture of trust and accountability as the head coach and part of that is rewarding playing time where it is deserved. Cauley-Stein has got another 2 and a half years guaranteed on his contract to prove that he belongs here. Just keep working hard young fella. Nobody can take away from you what you do on the court. Even the harshest cynics (myself included :) ) will eventually come around if you make them eat their words.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Those are the last things I wanted to hear.
Even if he felt that way, the stupidity to say it out loud...
Really! What did you want him to say? My goal is to be a one dimensional player for my career. Whats wrong with a player having goals above and beyond what others might think isn't possible. You think I went up to the plate thinking all I want to do is get a ground ball up the middle. Gee, I hope I can get on base. Hell no! I thought I was the best hitter on the team, and I went up looking for a ball I could drive. It's called having confidence in yourself. Believing in yourself, whether it's realistic or not.

I don't have a problem with any player thinking he can be better than he is, as long as he has the patience to stay the course and wait for his opportunity. As long as the Kings are in the playoff hunt, I don't expect things to change much for Willie, or Richardson either for that matter. As long as he realizes that, he'll be fine. Willie's main attribute is his athleticism and speed. Those things are negated to some degree by the slower pace the Kings are playing at, and in his limited minutes, he hasn't figured out how to adjust yet. Meanwhile Willie, work on your rebounding, and maybe you'll steal more minutes.

Really! What did you want him to say? My goal is to be a one dimensional player for my career. Whats wrong with a player having goals above and beyond what others might think isn't possible. You think I went up to the plate thinking all I want to do is get a ground ball up the middle. Gee, I hope I can get on base. Hell no! I thought I was the best hitter on the team, and I went up looking for a ball I could drive. It's called having confidence in yourself. Believing in yourself, whether it's realistic or not.

I don't have a problem with any player thinking he can be better than he is, as long as he has the patience to stay the course and wait for his opportunity. As long as the Kings are in the playoff hunt, I don't expect things to change much for Willie, or Richardson either for that matter. As long as he realizes that, he'll be fine. Willie's main attribute is his athleticism and speed. Those things are negated to some degree by the slower pace the Kings are playing at, and in his limited minutes, he hasn't figured out how to adjust yet. Meanwhile Willie, work on your rebounding, and maybe you'll steal more minutes.
I think the concern is his dreams of being an offensive force are actually justifying to him not playing hard on defense/rebounding

Guys say a lot of stuff in interviews. All that really matters is whether you produce on the floor.

And if Cauley-Stein became a two way star that would be amazing. An athletic 7 footer who could space the floor for Cousins with his jumper, be the first man down in transition, blow up pick and rolls and protect the rim? Sign me up.

So in my mind it's great that he wants to be more than he is. But in the here and now I'd like to see him grab a few rebounds.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the concern is his dreams of being an offensive force are actually justifying to him not playing hard on defense/rebounding
I don't see him not playing hard on defense. He makes mistakes sometimes, but I do see him run back in transition, and sometimes is the first one back. Rebounding is another matter. Not sure what the problem is. Whether he lacks aggression, or simple has no instincts for it. Either way, it doesn't matter, he has to improve. On defense, he sometimes tries to do too much and gets caught out of position, but that's different than lack of effort. I think he needs to go to the D-League where he can work on his problems. Better than sitting on the bench.

I don't see him not playing hard on defense. He makes mistakes sometimes, but I do see him run back in transition, and sometimes is the first one back. Rebounding is another matter. Not sure what the problem is. Whether he lacks aggression, or simple has no instincts for it. Either way, it doesn't matter, he has to improve. On defense, he sometimes tries to do too much and gets caught out of position, but that's different than lack of effort. I think he needs to go to the D-League where he can work on his problems. Better than sitting on the bench.
I agree.I think for a second year 7 footer he plays pretty good defense. Like Baja said, he makes mistakes. Players come into the league having grown up knowing how to put a ball in a hoop. Not every player grows up learning to defend well on the various levels of basketball leading to their 2nd year in the NBA. I think people are looking for flashy blocks and if they dont see them WCS is a bust. He is a very unique player and it makes it hard to gauge how he is coming along. Especially in limited minutes, in his second year, in a new system that isnt what he played in college, ect, ect. It isnt like hes eating up a ton of cap space either. He represents a valuable asset that we should be hesitant to give up on early or throw away for peanuts.

Now rebounding on the other hand, he needs to make that his sole purpose in life when their is a rebound to be had.

My issue with WCS is how he seems to come off as blaming the coach, the style of play (pace) for his performance. If you read the article, it sounds like he's saying he needs a longer leash to impress, and it's not his fault he hasn't impressed enough to get a longer leash. Last season he openly called out Karl for not playing him and there was a big hoohah when Karl said WCS was effective because they ran plays to get him easy dunks.

It's one thing to say you want to develop offensive skills, but it seems like WCS is far too ready to point the finger at someone else when he frankly hasn't proven anything

In college WCS got away with really showing hard on the pick and roll. He'd chase the ballhandler well past the 3 pt line and have enough quickness to get back to the roll man. NBA players are bigger and faster and now he gets beat regularly in the P&R. It's an adjustment he has to make.

I still hope in time he can be a good compliment to Cousins but right now (assuming he can fix his anemic rebounding) the best role for Willie would be as a backup center. He could play the Tyson Chandler role as a screener and role man and when he is in (and Cousins out) the 2nd unit could up the pace to take advantage of his ability to get out in transition.

“I don’t want to just be a defensive guy. I think I have way too much to give to settle for that. So I’m putting it on myself. I work on guard skills all the time. You don’t see guys my size doing guard stuff. And someday, somebody is gonna take it and run with it, and that’s when I’m gonna be special.”

“I am going to just keep working hard,” Cauley-Stein said. “I’m developing a lot during practice. People are going to be surprised. I have all the skills you need. It’s just locked up. When it gets unlocked, I’m going to be special.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article127132329.html#storylink=cpy

Well if anyone wasn't already over this kid. Im 100% out. I hope he someone out there thinks they can get more out of him cause we need to trade this joke... He thinks he's the next A.I.? guard skills? omg wow if I'm Divac and I see these quotes I'm including him in any and every trade package

So glad Dave pulled this fool off the floor for the most part if you can't grab a board, play defense, and block shots as a defensive player you don't play. The saddest part is he really had the ability to be not just a good defender but a great one. He clearly will NEVER realize that potential. He's too busy on those guard skills and designing watches

http://modifywatches.com/collections/willie-cauley-stein

one way ticket to bust land!
WCS is a kid, and kids will say stupid things. I wish he had kept his innner diva better concealed, but there it is.
Get rid of him with any deal that comes along? Sure, and toss out the baby with the bathwater, too.
WCS is an asset. If the coaching staff have lost all confidence in him, then sure, kick him down the road. But otherwise, he needs his first three years in the NBA to grow up and find himself. Yes, this is a disappointing season for WCS, but we're not even to the All-Star break yet! A little patience and perspective is a good thing.

G

glassman

He's clearly... and I mean clearly not focused on the basics of what got him here... he truly thinks he's this perennial offensive threat with "mad guard skills"... umm ok

He needs to shut the hell up. He needs to play defense and rebound. That's it... that's it... it's like the WR that envisions the touchdown before even catching the ball... then drops it.

The first 10 games of the year WCS didn't even jump to defend shots... it's like he's saving his energy for offense only... he has no fight. No effort. But he's got guard skills!!!

Willie successfully batted a rebound AWAY from the 3 other King players that were there to secure it.

Guy actually causes NEGATIVE rebounds.

I really want him to succeed, but damn - he is horrible on and off the court right now.

I don't see him not playing hard on defense. He makes mistakes sometimes, but I do see him run back in transition, and sometimes is the first one back.
Ok what exactly do you see Willie do on D? He is able to step out on guards and to recover back to his man - that is indeed a valuable skill to have.
But other than that?
His position on D is often awful. He is giving up on plays too early. He is way too foul prone, because he often just gives his opponents a lazy bump instead of getting up there to challenge their shots. He isn't chasing anyone down like he did in college or in his first season. He has problems going straight up often fouling his opponents, when he tries to challenge them. He may be the worst rebounding 7 footer in the entire league. He isn't doing a good job on rotations.

I don't care about blocked shots, but I care about rim protection and help defense and KK does a way better job on D than Willie in every aspect other than stepping out on the perimeter.
Now KK is a very solid NBA center, so it's no shame to be stuck behind him in your second NBA season. But what is concerning is the effort level of Willie, when he is given minutes.
Because rebounding and defense are mostly effort. There isn't all that much skill involved.
And it is concerning, that he doesn't realize, that defense and rebounding would make him a starter on this team. KK doesn't provide anything else and with Willie's ability to step out on the perimeter, he just needs to proof, that he can compete with KK in the rebounding and rim protection aspects of the game to see his minutes increase big time. It's not really rocket science. Become a starter for your team - than work hard to add those special skills, that give you the chance to shine on the court and give your team a chance to aim for the playoffs. Not the other way round.

WCS should be flying around the court, going for every loose ball. He should be that hungry young fella trying to take a job. Maybe not perfect, but bringing energy when he steps on the floor.

But he's apparently entitled because of his draft status, and "what he did" last year. Good luck with becoming the next Durant, dude

Last edited: